Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Davros1 posted:

Superman has Super Vision

I'm not saying he shouldn't act.
I'm saying he shouldn't act without super vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

RBA Starblade posted:

I want a huge John Hancock to lunge at the Constitution in slow-motion and tear the gently caress out of it with his pen.

This is basically the robot chicken '1776' skit from a decade ago

Whens the next comic movie coming out, deadpool2?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

garycoleisgod posted:

Yeah, but they kept slaves and hosed kids, so maybe Ares looking wimpy with a pedostache fits

America does too

Detective No. 27 posted:

He did, but then he took it back out in a later edition. I'm pretty sure it's not in the blurays.

Even without the scream the vacuum tube saving him muddles the scene anyway and its not clear he was suiciding

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Davros1 posted:

Superman has Super Vision

I mean that kinda is the justification, given that most of his character development originates from the dramatic tension of hyperawareness.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Criticism goes badly wrong when you look at things in terms of plot instead of in terms of narrative.

The tornado scene is not only a flashback, but specifically Clark’s dreamlike memory. We are shown a close-up of Kent from Clark’s POV - but Clark was actually extremely far away, under the overpass. He could not have seen Kent’s expression from that distance, and certainly not any fuckin splinters. What we are shown is obviously Clark’s mythic, idealized version of Kent.

I’m talking really basic film literacy here: an impossibly clear close-up in the middle of a dream sequence.

We’re even shown earlier, more-naturalistic shots of Kent stumbling around like an awkward old man - as a direct contrast to this idealized vision.

I guess it's possible that Pa Kent died peacefully in his sleep and Clark has absurd nightmares about Pa Kent's dying wish that Clark never be helpful--but that certainly doesn't make it less bizarre or hilarious. But now we're getting closer to the core of why many people don't like this Superman story, because it's a relentless, soppy drag.

Comedy option: The scene where Superman talks to Pa Kent in the Himalayas or whatever is actually meant to be taken completely straight, that's where Pa Kent lives now after Superman had to send him to assisted living in his own fashion.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

got any sevens posted:

Whens the next comic movie coming out, deadpool2?

Black Panther, Feb 16.
New Mutants, April 13.
Avengers: Infinity War, May 4
Deadpool 2, June 1
The Incredibles 2, June 15
Ant-Man and the Wasp, July 6
Alita: Battle Angel, July 20
Teen Titans Go! To The Movies, July 27
Venom, October 5
Dark Phoenix, November 2
Animated Spider-Man, Dec 14
Aquaman, Dec 21

Edit: I might as well list all of 2018's superhero/comicbook films while I'm at it

Edit 2: whoa, forgot Venom. That makes 12 for 2018 so far, there might be more announced down the road. There's also at least 10 listed for 2019 already with a bunch of "Untitled [Marvel/DC/whatever] film" slots waiting to be filled.

Edit 3: and just for the sake of comparison there were 10 superhero/comicbook films released this year (Lego Batman Movie, Logan, Power Rangers, Ghost In The Shell, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, Wonder Woman, Spider-Man: Homecoming, Valerian and the City of A Thousand Planets, Thor: Ragnarok, Justice League), 8 in 2016 and only 3 in 2015 as far as I can see.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 6, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

got any sevens posted:

Even without the scream the vacuum tube saving him muddles the scene anyway and its not clear he was suiciding

That vacuum tube lead to a bottomless cloud sea. The point of the scene was that Luke would rather have died than join Vader.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It's not a coincidence that in one of these comic book universes hope is a lie, change is an illusion and all you can do is quip into the void and in the other it's "Superman is real; what are YOU going to do about it?"

Not jump in a tornado, probably. Probably get blown up by a buff alien supersoldier instead though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

The tornado scene is not only a flashback, but specifically Clark’s dreamlike memory. We are shown a close-up of Kent from Clark’s POV - but Clark was actually extremely far away, under the overpass. He could not have seen Kent’s expression from that distance, and certainly not any fuckin splinters.

I allowed that in my post you're alluding to, but in that case I'm impugning Clark's dream expression imagination powers.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Black Panther, Feb 16.
New Mutants, April 13.
Avengers: Infinity War, May 4
Deadpool 2, June 1
The Incredibles 2, June 15
Ant-Man and the Wasp, July 6
Alita: Battle Angel, July 20
Teen Titans Go! To The Movies, July 27
Dark Phoenix, November 2
Animated Spider-Man, Dec 14
Aquaman, Dec 21

Edit: I might as well list all of 2018's superhero/comicbook films while I'm at it

DO I even want to know what New Mutants is?

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu9e410C__I

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh and I was gonna make a post about Superman being able to see Johnathan Kent. But I don't recall the movie ever showing that Clark had supervision. He had x-ray vision and heat vision, but not eagle vision.

Edit: Also both were demonstrated to be horrifying to have.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 6, 2017

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

RBA Starblade posted:

Not jump in a tornado, probably. Probably get blown up by a buff alien supersoldier instead though.

A good death is its own reward, bud!

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 6, 2017

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

dont even fink about it posted:

I guess it's possible that Pa Kent died peacefully in his sleep and Clark has absurd nightmares about Pa Kent's dying wish that Clark never be helpful--but that certainly doesn't make it less bizarre or hilarious.

Mock incredulity is septic. You are clowning to disguise illiteracy.

This shot establishes Clark’s objective relationship to the action.

This means that the above shot aligns with his ‘actual’ POV. Clark does not move at all during the sequence, yet we are zoomed in much closer every time we cut back to this perspective. Here are a few examples:

All Clark ‘actually’ sees is a tiny broken man - even tinier than in the above shot. Everything else is unambiguously Clark’s imagination, filling in the blanks after the most traumatic event in his life. The closer the shot, the more subjective it is.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Dec 6, 2017

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

I'm gonna be annoyed if Cannonball finally pops up in a movie only to be the first to die although that IS very Cannonball

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Here's some of the tornado emotions I was thinking of

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Brother Entropy posted:

what does it think it is and what is it actually achieving?

Not speaking for the other guy, but It thinks it's achieving a deep, powerful, moving moment of self sacrifice where Pa Kent protects his son. What it actually achieves is making what should be a really poignant moment about Clark learning about loss and the limitations of his powers into a really goofy ham fisted scene in an otherwise pretty good film.

Superman 1 did it much better. If they wanted to do a "Should Clark out himself to save his dad" scene, they could have used the heart attack or even a car accident and make it so an ambulance couldn't arrive in time or some poo poo. Plus the execution was ridiculous.

Electromax posted:

There are a lot of sincere moments in MoS that people DO like, like the first time he flies and his conversation with Lois.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

e: "You are my son!" still makes me look like :pwn: all tryin not to cry

loving same.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Dec 6, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Aquaman, Dec 21 2018

So principal filming on this wrapped in October .... who wants to lay odds on how much reshooting they'll be doing in the wake of Justice League's reception and who wants to lay odds on the film not even being released?? :v:

They've got at least 4 other DCEU films in pretty deep pre-production which have been assigned release dates, at least 8 more films in development that have had directors, writers and producers attached to them and at least another half dozen that are in the early planning stages. Everyone involved must be pretty loving nervous right about now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Extended_Universe#Upcoming

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 6, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Hopefully James Wan kept the footage and his editor in a top secret location far from WB agents.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Superman 1 did it much better. If they wanted to do a "Should Clark out himself to save his dad" scene, they could have used the heart attack or even a car accident and make it so an ambulance couldn't arrive in time or some poo poo. Plus the execution was ridiculous.

but it's not just 'should clark out himself to save his dad', it's also specifically a scene where johnathon's actions speak more clearly to clark than his previous uncertainties about other people's safety and lives being more or less important than clark's own

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

So principal filming on this wrapped in October .... who wants to lay odds on how much reshooting they'll be doing in the wake of Justice League's reception and who wants to lay odds on the film not even being released?? :v:

I can't imagine them not releasing it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

They've got at least 4 other DCEU films in pretty deep pre-production which have been assigned release dates, at least 8 films more in development that have had directors, writers and producers attached to them and at least another half dozen that are in the early planning stages. Everyone involved must be pretty loving nervous right about now.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_Extended_Universe#Upcoming

I'm probably being super naive but assuming Aquaman cost significantly less and they don't want to make the same mistake (and more importantly spend a ton more money just to gently caress poo poo up) they'll let Aquaman release as intended and hope for at least a modest success. Maybe they'll cut post-production and advertising budget as a result? Don't know how that works but it would seem totally stupid to flush the money they've already spent.

They're obviously going to keep going with WW2 because the first was a huge success and presumably they'll continue with the SS sequels/spinoffs for the same reason.

I have no hope for the other movies which sucks cause I was looking forward to the Flash. Oh I'm sure they're still going to do something with the Rock

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Cyborg v. Black Adam: Dawn of Booyah. gently caress you, you know you want it :mad:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'd rather not watch Cyborg get horribly murdered.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

McCloud posted:

Oh yeah I recall you really disliking the theatrical cut. Did you find the extended cut an improvement then?

Oh yeah. I did a complete 180 on BvS. The UC felt far more cohesive and I loved all the extra Clark stuff.

The bad scenes are still bad though. gently caress that random introductory Justice League scene and the Doomsday fight was a letdown after the Zod-Superman fight in MoS.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

josh04 posted:

Man of Steel can't be an objectivist film because it's so nakedly an existentialist film.

This man was the real hero of the series. Such a difficult task and he did his best and gave a Superman connected to Humanity than what might have happened if it was just Jor-El's vision for Clark.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'd rather not watch Cyborg get horribly murdered.

Better title: Booyah of Justice

second: whatever he can probably win by doing something with.... s-satellites?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I would like to watch The Rock give someone a deadly Moe, however.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Brother Entropy posted:

but it's not just 'should clark out himself to save his dad', it's also specifically a scene where johnathon's actions speak more clearly to clark than his previous uncertainties about other people's safety and lives being more or less important than clark's own

I get it and I got the point of the scene. I just thought its execution sucked. And I liked MoS.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I have an action figure of Psycho Pirate; I really don't like this Adam character's record of killing my favorites :mrwhite:

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I thought the Tornado scene in MoS was a rather touching moment outside of Pa Kent giving the worst advice irt a tornado approaching

(don't listen to him. getting underneath an overpass is a bad idea)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Take that scene from a dramatic point not a literal tactical realism, it's a movie telling a story. On the one hand there was so much bitching for tactical realism in comic book movies with people complaining of Schumaker's Batman then on the other hand when you have great film makers like Ang Lee and Snyder getting into the guts of making these characters tick, relationship with parents and each other, really genuinely examining and exploring them, displaying consequence of their interaction with the world, it's "LOL tornado" and "LOL absorbing cloud dad." and those movies are derided.

Strange.

Pa Kent was given a monumental task of taking a Deity and connecting him to humanity and sacrificing his life at that point when Clark would not have been ready to be Superman for the world. You see that in Hollywood all the time when young/inexperienced kids are given the limelight and that sort of money and freedom they can get lost and destroy themselves and others. At that point Clark was not ready to have the world engage him as Superman, justifiably so because as in reality, in the movies, he has expectation thrust upon him that people don't engage him or relate to him as he is as a person but what their image in their heads is that he is supposed to be and hold him to that standard. Hence, that scene has a lot of faith and wisdom to it. If Clark had come to Earth with just Jor-El's vision and explaining he is a ubermensch messiah, what would the world have faced? A slight mirror of Zod, self righteous? Pa Kent is the reason he's truly heroic, that he's connected to Earth and chooses Humanity, and he gave his life for his family, his son, and the world having faith that Clark would turn out well and learn. Superman didn't come out of a box onto a comic cover with 50 years of expectation and depiction.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BiggerBoat posted:

I get it and I got the point of the scene. I just thought its execution sucked. And I liked MoS.

Can you post anything about the execution, then?

Yaws posted:

I thought the Tornado scene in MoS was a rather touching moment outside of Pa Kent giving the worst advice irt a tornado approaching

That’s a historical detail; the overpass safety myth began in the early 90s, and the tornado scene takes place ~1997.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

That’s a historical detail; the overpass safety myth began in the early 90s, and the tornado scene takes place ~1997.

Woah.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MiddleOne posted:

It's about the only one of these upcoming movies that looks halfway interesting.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Guy A. Person posted:

I'm probably being super naive but assuming Aquaman cost significantly less and they don't want to make the same mistake (and more importantly spend a ton more money just to gently caress poo poo up) they'll let Aquaman release as intended and hope for at least a modest success. Maybe they'll cut post-production and advertising budget as a result? Don't know how that works but it would seem totally stupid to flush the money they've already spent.

They're obviously going to keep going with WW2 because the first was a huge success and presumably they'll continue with the SS sequels/spinoffs for the same reason.

I have no hope for the other movies which sucks cause I was looking forward to the Flash. Oh I'm sure they're still going to do something with the Rock

I was looking forward to GLC but alas :smith:

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

Yaws posted:

It's not likely to ever come up for me, but, what are you supposed to do in a tornado?

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

garycoleisgod posted:

It's not likely to ever come up for me, but, what are you supposed to do in a tornado?

Lie in a ditch

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Detective No. 27 posted:

I would like to watch The Rock give someone a deadly Moe, however.

Dare I as who The Ray is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
He's a goofy old-timey superhero and member of the JSA with other goofy old-timey superheroes like Hour-Man, Star-Girl, and the versions of Flash and Green Lantern nobody cares about

• Locked thread