Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/225230

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Oh poo poo I didn't know this was out

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Only digital right now. Dead tree some time next year (probably).

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That link goes to the front page for me, boo.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

That's because it's a mobile link, and mobile links are fucky. You have to take the m folder out to get it to work on desktop. http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/225230

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hmm, I was on iPad.

That one works on my phone, though, so thank you!

lessavini
Jun 22, 2017

Kestral posted:

A minor addition: Sagas of the Icelanders has an Icelandic Homestead Management minigame in the Man playbook that is surprisingly compelling. At first glance it looks like a resources-trading game like a boardless Settlers of Catan with progression, which is not a strong pitch for a playbook. But it turns out that hanging scarcity-based fiction on those resources imparts meaning and a sense of urgency: exchanging your 1-labor for ore to supply your smithy means less food and fuel for the brutal Icelandic winter, especially if you're forced to entertain guests - whom you are obligated by tradition to give food and shelter; fewer opportunities to throw the feasts that share (or flaunt) your prosperity and build or repair relationships with your quarrelsome neighbors; less land ploughed and sowed for crops, etc.

But on the other hand, you might turn that ore into a sword inscribed with the name of your murdered brother, so that you can set fire to his killer's house and slay him and all his kin as they flee the flames. So, y'know, maybe it's worth a little starvation.
As a fan of Sagas of the Icelanders, I find your description beautifully evocative, and totally endorse it.

Last session, our Shieldmaiden missed a roll for helping out the Man with his labor, thus wasting 1-wood from his stock. Imagine the rage on the Man players face. :D

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
http://bullypulpitgames.com/winterhorn-now-available and http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/201891/Winterhorn looks pretty sweet. Juggernaut was an amazing LARP and the deck of cards format was great, so this is a buy on sight for me especially in 2017.

quote:

WINTERHORN is a live action game for 3-8 players about how governments degrade and destroy activist groups. By playing law enforcement and intelligence operatives working diligently to demoralize and derail, you’ll learn about the techniques used in the real world in pursuit of these goals. By playing WINTERHORN you’ll have a chance to reflect on weak points in your own activism, and think about ways to harden organizations you care about against government intrusion.

WINTERHORN: the code name of a small but passionate group of “peace and justice” activists. On the surface they project innocent, if misguided, zeal, but you know better. You’ve dealt with groups like this before, and there’s always a dangerous core. Gun-runners. Bomb-makers. People who deserve to be thrown in a dark hole somewhere.

As government agents, your goal is to nudge them into destroying themselves, using every trick in the book – black bag jobs, disinformation, spinning up rival front groups, and even escalating to vandalism and violence when necessary. Your mission, with the full force of the government behind you and time running out, is to get WINTERHORN’s members fighting like rats in a bucket. They need to fall apart before they can hurt anyone, and the state’s hands need to stay clean.

They won’t know what hit them.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
https://twitter.com/DanjoKaz00ie/status/938105157497249792

They have some cool stuff about boundaries and consent too.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Are normal games supposed to have psychotic breakdowns of the players to warrant this?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
oh gently caress off

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

People can be deeply uncomfortable without being in the middle of a psychotic breakdown hth.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

No, I'd like to know what's the "real danger" that would need to stop a session.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I was assuming it was the fact that it was live action and involves actually acting as the characters rather than just describing what they do. That means you need words to say to stop what's happening.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I mean when you think about it, the Stanford Prison Experiment clearly establishes the dangers inherent in LARPing

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Bedlamdan posted:

I mean when you think about it, the Stanford Prison Experiment clearly establishes the dangers inherent in LARPing

Given the stories I've heard of Vampire LARPs, this seems like a 100% true statement.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

kingcom posted:

Given the stories I've heard of Vampire LARPs, this seems like a 100% true statement.

It is.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Cassa posted:

I like this. For all that Night Witches had good warnings about sexism and racism, it didn't have a section saying "You are about to play a game in which you will play as people bombing villages and civilian centers in what would by today's standards be considered war crimes. Does everyone still want to play?" I think putting that sort of disclaimer up front is a good thing.

Plutonis, it's like 2 paragraphs and makes people feel welcomed and can help open people up to he experience to have boundaries explained beforehand.

Also, the real danger could be something like a fire - you don't want people thinking that you're talking about a pretend fire in the game, so you say "cut" and alert people to the actual real fire. It's just like when we play road hockey and yell "car" when a car comes through and everyone stops playing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LARPing need a safeword so what

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, Cut exists not just as a safeword in the common meaning but also because being in the real world sometimes external things happen and you need to stop actually playing to deal with it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Plutonis posted:

No, I'd like to know what's the "real danger" that would need to stop a session.

Environmental hazards, mostly. Someone trips over a prop, knocks over a chair, is about to step on someone else. A car needs to drive through your play space. That sort of thing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Liquid Communism posted:

Environmental hazards, mostly. Someone trips over a prop, knocks over a chair, is about to step on someone else. A car needs to drive through your play space. That sort of thing.

Things I've also seen happen at larps: snakes, angry raccoons, park rangers not knowing what you're doing because somebody forgot to fill out a use form, dudebro invasion from the werewolf larp down the road, overly loud squirrels.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

But the raccoons and snakes haven't read the book so you can't tell them to stop!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
"Overly loud squirrels?"

Those squirrels are LARPing Changeling you SWINE

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

lessavini posted:

As a fan of Sagas of the Icelanders, I find your description beautifully evocative, and totally endorse it.

Last session, our Shieldmaiden missed a roll for helping out the Man with his labor, thus wasting 1-wood from his stock. Imagine the rage on the Man players face. :D

If my players are anything to judge by, the solution to missing resources is one or all of:

1. Trade favors (at a hilariously unfavorable exchange rate) to neighbors
2. Start a long-term project that is doomed to cause them far more trouble than 1-stone or whatever is worth
3. Witchcraft

I support all of these plans and encourage your players to try them as well!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I remember somebody in a local vampire LARP shouting "Stop, I have a gun!" on a local college campus, at which point the local football coach VIP dove under a table and there was a small panic.

We were more than a bit lucky to have a LARP club after that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Patreon has just announced a change in its charging/payment processing.

Currently Patreon takes a 5% cut from any pledges to cover processing fees. What they've announced is that pledges will now cost an additional 2.9% + 35 cents for every pledge payment made. That is, if you pledged 2.00 USD, you'll now be charged 2.41 USD.

The idea is that it's supposed to be beneficial for the creation since they now get the full 2.00 dollars rather than 1.90 USD under the old model, but I'm seeing backlash since it increases costs for the pledgers, and more significantly, it punishes small pledges, and consequently creators who have structured their model around small pledges.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cassa posted:

It's seriously important to know this is for LARP because I cannot express how silly I'd feel sitting around the table and asking "okay everyone, before we start, do we all know where the bathroom is?"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

My Lovely Horse posted:

It's seriously important to know this is for LARP because I cannot express how silly I'd feel sitting around the table and asking "okay everyone, before we start, do we all know where the bathroom is?"

You'd be surprised how often that's actually come up in my experience.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

gradenko_2000 posted:

Currently Patreon takes a 5% cut from any pledges to cover processing fees. What they've announced is that pledges will now cost an additional 2.9% + 35 cents for every pledge payment made. That is, if you pledged 2.00 USD, you'll now be charged 2.41 USD.

The idea is that it's supposed to be beneficial for the creation since they now get the full 2.00 dollars rather than 1.90 USD under the old model, but I'm seeing backlash since it increases costs for the pledgers, and more significantly, it punishes small pledges, and consequently creators who have structured their model around small pledges.

Sorry Jef and Jon... but this is the reason I've cancelled mine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Elfface posted:

Why not just scale it down so it nets to the previous amount?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sigh, time to turn to Hatreon, the free speech crowdfunding site.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Elfface posted:

I cancelled mine because of Patreon's forced arbitration clauses. That poo poo is corrupt as hell.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Subjunctive posted:

Why not just scale it down so it nets to the previous amount?

I don't know it Patreon supports the 65 cent or so value to get it down to that, but either way yhe creator is looking at anywhere between a 20 to 30% loss

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Patreon's loving dead in a year under this model.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
weird that an online platform would make a sudden sweeping change with no input from the vast majority of its userbase.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

2.9% +35 cents is essentially what everyone pays when they make a retail credit card transaction now. The difference is that the charge is invisible to customers at retail because the merchant pays it (and of course adds this additional cost to the price of goods and services to compensate). This is why some places offer a "cash discount" vs. credit.

Patreon's mistake here is failing to recognize that this system is inherently unfriendly to microtransactions, and secondarily, that people are unaccustomed to seeing that fee explicit, and thirdly, that they're unaccustomed to seeing it added on as an additional cost vs. baked into the price.

To me the biggest issue is the microtransactions part, but honestly I don't know how an outfit like Patreon can do microtransactions in the first place, given that most of them are paid for by debit or credit card, and Patreon absolutely has to be paying those transaction fees for processing. Probably if 100% of transactions below $2.00 or whatever are actually costing them money, they should simply set a minimum transaction size, rather than confronting customers/users with the fees directly.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Isn't this not the first time for this? As somebody who has some heavy pledges, I remember seeing my rates ramp up awhile back with no mention as to why until I did some digging to find out they were essentially charging supporters a service charge on top of the pledge amounts?

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
The real issue is the +0.35 charge is on each pledge to each person. So if you pledge $10 to one person, you are charged a total of 10.65. If you pledge $1 to 10 people, you are charged 13.80. Even though Patreon only processes your pledges once either way (in both cases my paypal would read -$10 before this change), they're making that 35 cent charge per pledge anyway.

Patreon is sort of built on letting you give a little to a lot of people you like. This change highly discourages and punishes that behavior, telling you to instead pick a favorite or two and lump your money into that one basket. Which is great news for the most popular people you patron, and terrible news for the other 90%+ of the creator base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

gradenko_2000 posted:

I don't know it Patreon supports the 65 cent or so value to get it down to that, but either way yhe creator is looking at anywhere between a 20 to 30% loss

Yeah, it hurts the creator, but not as much as the pledge going to zero.

• Locked thread