Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

bio347 posted:

Augmenting at "a couple hundred paragons"? Are you nuts?

I don't think I had enough gems to make flawless royals for all of my regular gem slots, let alone my entire endgame set completed and ancient with a ton of worthwhile legendary gems and extra regulars to munch by that point. Augments are very much the last thing you should be doing, progression-wise.

There's nothing wrong with augmenting whatever ancient items you've got early. You can get quite a few gems with a broken crown selected in your cube and using puzzle rings to enter the Vault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I started augmenting what ancient items I had at 60, if you're grifting regularly you've got plenty of gem upgrades to spend.

Internet Alias
Dec 5, 2005
Mirrors are more fun than television.
Best way to get a lot of regular gems quickly is to cube/wear broken crown and do a sweep of the boss bounties. Remember you can use the cube to swap gem types around nine at a time, it's something I forget about fairly regularly when I start augmenting.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

bio347 posted:

Augments are very much the last thing you should be doing, progression-wise.

I actually appreciate how much thought they put into Kanai's Cube and the way you essentially progress down the recipe list as you get the gear you want.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

bio347 posted:

Augmenting at "a couple hundred paragons"? Are you nuts?

I don't think I had enough gems to make flawless royals for all of my regular gem slots, let alone my entire endgame set completed and ancient with a ton of worthwhile legendary gems and extra regulars to munch by that point. Augments are very much the last thing you should be doing, progression-wise.

Augments are one of the single biggest, quickest boosts to your strength. At the slow rate you get useable ancients you should be able to start augmenting early on. +350 mainstat is a huge deal. If you care about progression you should be running as many GRs as possible asap.

You know you can convert stacks of gems, right? It's not even expensive, like 500k gold to convert any 9 gems.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 6, 2017

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I recommend converting 9 flawless imperials. 9 of them = 3 royals = 1 flawless royal.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Suspicious posted:

I recommend converting 9 flawless imperials. 9 of them = 3 royals = 1 flawless royal.

Converting 9 royals is more efficient but not everyone got three dozen puzzle rings to start the season off.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Beach Bum posted:

Converting 9 royals is more efficient but not everyone got three dozen puzzle rings to start the season off.

And the only things it's more efficient at are gold and time costs. The time costs are marginal, and if you don't have far more gold than gem conversions cost? Then you don't use Boon of the Hoarder enough.

Raikyn
Feb 22, 2011

I spent two nights gambling for shoulders so i could get some stuff to convert for the natalya set.
Then it occured to me that something might be amiss :(

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Mind over Matter posted:

And the only things it's more efficient at are gold and time costs. The time costs are marginal, and if you don't have far more gold than gem conversions cost? Then you don't use Boon of the Hoarder enough.

Game says "don't spend it all in one place", I'm just being thrifty with my billions :colbert:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Oh hello there.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Augments are one of the single biggest, quickest boosts to your strength. At the slow rate you get useable ancients you should be able to start augmenting early on. +350 mainstat is a huge deal. If you care about progression you should be running as many GRs as possible asap.

You know you can convert stacks of gems, right? It's not even expensive, like 500k gold to convert any 9 gems.
I'm aware, yes. It still took me a pretty long time to get my seven flawless royals for my gear.

And... I mean, I guess if you assume everyone is grinding their faces off on GRs in a 4-man group, then sure, "augment as soon as possible!" is good advice. It's pretty bad advice without that caveat, though, because rofl at having several level 70 gems that early in a season otherwise.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I am never going to be able to break gr98 with my crusader. I just can't get ancient Akkhan items to drop to save my life so that I can augment them and power up.

https://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/StarMan-1985/hero/75524563

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
That was me with the drat Frehdyrs shield this season, I spent like 5k DBs upgrading shields before getting something better than a plain legendary.

bio347 posted:

I'm aware, yes. It still took me a pretty long time to get my seven flawless royals for my gear.

And... I mean, I guess if you assume everyone is grinding their faces off on GRs in a 4-man group, then sure, "augment as soon as possible!" is good advice. It's pretty bad advice without that caveat, though, because rofl at having several level 70 gems that early in a season otherwise.

I mean it's 3-4 mins per grift and that comes out to about an hour of grinding for a single extra levelled gem. IDK why you seem personally offended by the suggestion that augmenting asap is good, but it is good without any caveats. For ~progression~you should be doing whatever level of grifts you can do in 3-4 minutes, same as you should be running whatever T level you can just run through. An hour and a half to get 350 more main stat is a good deal as far as D3 benefits for time invested go. Besides, running GRs is what you do to progress anyways, so it's not like you're wildly changing your play around?????

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

bio347 posted:

Other than three or four nights with my buddy, about 40 total grifts, I have done all of my grifts solo thus far in the season. I'm sitting at 720-ish paragon, and have done six augments: a 55, two 61s, two 65s, and a 71 to overwrite the 55 (because RNG refuses to give me any more ancients :argh:).

Like I said, I got a shitton of Prings early in the season, and I ran a broken crown for nearly all of them, utilized my cube to transmute useless gems into useful colors. By Paragon 150 or so I had full Diamonds without much trouble. Maybe you just had a lovely early s12 or perhaps I level more efficiently or something. Regardless I'm of the opinion that as soon as you get ancients with correct mods for your grifting set of choice and start pushing 60 you should be augmenting, especially because at such a low GR you're getting a shitton of mileage out of even 300 MS per item. As you push higher more stat starts to fall off in effectiveness of course but that midgame power spike from augments is definitely significant.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 6, 2017

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Herstory Begins Now posted:

That was me with the drat Frehdyrs shield this season, I spent like 5k DBs upgrading shields before getting something better than a plain legendary.

I watched a video of someone playing through ~GR 100 and started going about it how they played. Instead of just standing still in the middle of a mob, I need to gather them all up like a little corgi would with cattle and tap them once with my hammer and move a bit and tap another edge of the mob. I can now get to the rift guardian with time remaining, but I keep missing the goal by 30 to 60 seconds. I just keep running into things like droughts of enemies for two screens or my dumb gently caress templar stuns an elite monster that I'm trying to kite or it's a monster with ranged abilities that just refuse to follow me because the templar is stunning it or when he finally teleports to me after running ten light-years away from it, the stupid thing loses me because it was stunned.

Just...loving jesus loving christ. Just work out for me, just this loving once.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I got Krysbin's Sentence and Cord of the Sherma to drop today.

I am awfully tempted to put those two together and see if it works the way I hope it works.

I assume that if I'm going to cube one or the other, it'll be the Krysbin's?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Unless the Krysbin's can be rolled to double crit + socket then you can cube it. It's much easier to roll an acceptable belt. And there's not much in the way of jewelry that's useful for cubing aside from the obvious CoE.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I got Krysbin's Sentence and Cord of the Sherma to drop today.

I am awfully tempted to put those two together and see if it works the way I hope it works.

I assume that if I'm going to cube one or the other, it'll be the Krysbin's?

Armor and Jewelry don't compete for the same slot, so you can wear or cube both, unless the concern is for mats, which can be alleviated with a single Challenge Rift or Bounty Run. As for if they work together, yes, the blind procs the Krysbin secondary boost.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
This week's challenge rift is a joke. They captured some guy's barb doing the The Thrill and half his skills actively hinder your progress, but HOTA is so good you will demolish his time without trying.
:thunk:

theCops
Aug 13, 2004
got this from kulle yesterday. expecting nothing from the game but primal goldskins from this point forward, and idc

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Relatively new player questions:

In greater rifts does the difficulty stack? Like if I'm on Torment 1 from the menu and select a level 20 rift is it easier than if I'm on T4 difficulty and also pick level 20?

I got my first Gem of ease to 25, what's best to stick it in or use to lower a requirement to level 1?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

KDdidit posted:

In greater rifts does the difficulty stack? Like if I'm on Torment 1 from the menu and select a level 20 rift is it easier than if I'm on T4 difficulty and also pick level 20?

I got my first Gem of ease to 25, what's best to stick it in or use to lower a requirement to level 1?

No no.

An ancient Two hand weapon with huge stats.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

KDdidit posted:

The torment difficulty of your current game has no effect to greater rifts.

Gem of ease works pretty well with weapons since you'll have so much damage!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

KDdidit posted:

A) No, Greater Rift levels are static, playing on T1 and entering a GR20 is the same as a TX game with a GR20 rift.

B) find a nice Ancient twohander, any kind but swords work beat because everyone can hold them, and toss it in. Cubing the gem of ease into stuff is more time consuming than just putting the gem in a sword and leveling your guy in 2-3 Rifts.

For reference: 1-70 used to take me 3-4 Rifts with Cains/Borns/Hellfire/Ruby+Leo crown, but with all that and a gem of ease sword I level 1-70 in about 2 rifts

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks all.

Should I just wiki that Zoltun's Cube thing? I get some of it and have used it, but other stuff doesn't seem to have much of an explanation of what it does.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If you follow the season journey it will force you to use it at appropriate times more or less.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

man I can handle GR60s alone in about 11 minutes but i still can't do the X in sub 6 minutes for the season journey

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

You can just jump into pub T13s and you'll get a sub-4 minute one in no time. That will take care of all the T10-T13 speed requirements for the rest of the journey.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

DrSeRRoD posted:

You can just jump into pub T13s and you'll get a sub-4 minute one in no time. That will take care of all the T10-T13 speed requirements for the rest of the journey.

:tipshat:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

theCops posted:

got this from kulle yesterday. expecting nothing from the game but primal goldskins from this point forward, and idc

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

theCops posted:

I wish my primals came with augments

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

theCops posted:

It makes me feel good at times when my non primal has higher damage than some primal versions. (I know in the end it's not as good, but let me not feel jealous)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He just has to roll vitality off.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

euphronius posted:

He just has to roll vitality off.

I know, that thing is nasty.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Larrymer posted:

It makes me feel good at times when my non primal has higher damage than some primal versions. (I know in the end it's not as good, but let me not feel jealous)

The Virgin Ancient and the Chad Primal

Mormon Mother
Jan 23, 2008
Self diagnosed!

any thoughts on what I should reroll? Was thinking weapon damage probably? Socket is gamecubed.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Yes!

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Lucky bastard.
I'm having trouble even finding the loving akkhan pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Spends shards on shoulders for set pieces.