Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Russia has bigger problems
Uh-oh, now that they lost the option to build national pride through the sports, they are left with only one option - military accomplishments.
(space program is comatose for decades)

Edit: Saakashvili is popular in Ukraine? Did I miss something?

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Dwesa posted:

Uh-oh, now that they lost the option to build national pride through the sports, they are left with only one option - military accomplishments.
(space program is comatose for decades)

Georgia and Ukraine both have the "Russia biting off little pieces of their territory" thing going on. Why not?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dwesa posted:

He did fairly well on anti-corruption front. Probably actually well since he got himself into a fight with Poroshenko, which the latter handled probably the worst way possible.

Although there was some lull inbetween when Saakashvili tried to make it into big boy Ukrainian politics, probably illegally (although who the gently caress knows, government cleared them), so maybe something happened there (or that was just a tipping point).

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Saakashvili was also stationed in Ukraine during his military service and speaks Ukrainian fluently, along with Russian. He seems to be popular amongst ukranian veterans, so he is probably viewed as someone standing up to both Russia and corrupt politicians, as he fell out of out of favor as governor of Odessa when he said it was impossible for him to fight corruption when the president was protecting the people involved.

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 6, 2017

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dwesa posted:

Hahaha, no. He has some very loyal fans, but no broad support.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Hahaha, no. He has some very loyal fans, but no broad support.

They are all fake protestors. He is polling at 1% approval. He is hated for trying to shake down the Odessian mafia, and was run out of Georgia for crashing the economy with money laundering schemes. Tymoshenko is using money, funneled through VTB bank to try and storm the Rada; which is how Saakshvili came to power in Georgia.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Hal_2005 posted:

They are all fake protestors. He is polling at 1% approval. He is hated for trying to shake down the Odessian mafia, and was run out of Georgia for crashing the economy with money laundering schemes. Tymoshenko is using money, funneled through VTB bank to try and storm the Rada; which is how Saakshvili came to power in Georgia.

That's his party polling. Himself he polled a bit under 20% earlier this year, and I expect both personal and party ratings to increase due to the farce the current scandal evens are.

But yeah, to clarify Dwesa's question, early after the combat activity began to dwindle he was polling at around 40% approval, which was the highest he ever had in Ukraine, and before he did any real work or "work".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Hal_2005 posted:

Tymoshenko and Saakashvili are allied now? Are they part of some international network of disgraced kleptocrats? This is so bizarre.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

Hal_2005 posted:

...and was run out of Georgia for crashing the economy with money laundering schemes. ....

What do you mean?

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
Christmas comes early to Eastern Europe this year: Putin announced that he will be participaring in Russian presidental elections again.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
They should only announce when he is not going to run, that way they will save both manpower and electricity by not having to have a staffer write and send out the announcement.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

quote:

Another former Russian Olympic champion and United Russia member, gymnast Svetlana Khorkina, echoed the defiance with which many in Russia greeted the IOC decision.

"Break a great power like Russia? No, it won't work," Khorkina told the Russian website Sports.ru, adding that the country "has an army, nuclear weapons, and mighty people."
I am sure that nuking winter olympics is the right solution to a state-sponsored doping scandal.

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-olympics-ban-reactions-anger-conspiracies-support/28900475.html

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 6, 2017

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
When you think about it, it was pretty rude of IOC to catch Russia cheating.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
https://twitter.com/novaya_gazeta/status/938427903397777410

ГАЗ ЗА ВАС!
ГАЗ ЗА ВАС!
ГАЗ ЗА ВАС!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Dwesa posted:

I am sure that nuking winter olympics is the right solution to a state-sponsored doping scandal.

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-olympics-ban-reactions-anger-conspiracies-support/28900475.html

Reflexively mentioning that they've got nukes so the world better pay attention to them is how Russians cope with depression.

The North Koreans are attempting to follow the same therapy.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Russia is banning anonymous mobile IM services with the next year. http://www.interfax.ru/russia/589579

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russia is banning anonymous mobile IM services with the next year. http://www.interfax.ru/russia/589579

Does that include Telegram?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

alex314 posted:

Does that include Telegram?

Unlikely. The ruling basically stipulates that these messengers are to be used from devices carrying phone non-disposable, contract-bound phone numbers.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Zudgemud posted:

Ah yes, the national team full asthmatics is the supreme ruler now that the cheating nation has been dealt with.

The funny thing about that one is that in Poland, one of our sports heroes is Justyna Kowalczyk, a top tier ski racer.

Now, if you know anything about ski racing, you'll know it and biathlon are some of the most 'doping useful' sports, as they are dependant on cardiovascular endurance. Doubly so for biathlon, as during the run, you need periods of steadying yourself for shooting, which is faster and more reliable if you use drugs that increase your VO2 max, with a dash of betablockers and whatever.

But of course, Justyna is one of the clean ones! She was very much against the asthma of her main opponent, Marit Bjoergen. Says it's obviously unfair that she gets a TUE based increase on limits of metabolites in her blood.

...so she asked for limits to be increased for non TUE athletes, too. I think that says it all really.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Looks like the plague of drug fentanyl is finally gone from Estonia because all the leaders of gangs, producers and dealers have been convicted. Took some 17 years to get there. So that's great. It'll also be hard for new comers because unlike early 2000s and earlier the police is more effective now.

Also Tallinn city council hid for a year an internal audit regarding a recently built ice hall. It described how our former star skater who joined the center party and for that was given the job of being the head of that ice hall, thoroughly failed at her job for last 3 years. She still gets to keep her job, the city council merely recommended that she needs additional guidance at doing her job. And this poo poo goes on and on. :cripes: Sure enough, it's not nearly as bad as what folks have to deal with in Ukraine.

The weightlifting championships just ended, I can't wait until I find out which medal our guy is going to get. In 10 years. At least as much as I know our lifter, he is firmly anti-doping. I doubt they banned enough countries beforehand.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

This logotype of Russia's 2018 presidential elections cost 37 million rubles (630 thousand dollars)

Bask in its glory.

https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/beware-of-russias-confusing-2018-logo-59747

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Dwesa posted:

This logotype of Russia's 2018 presidential elections cost 37 million rubles (630 thousand dollars)

Bask in its glory.

https://themoscowtimes.com/articles/beware-of-russias-confusing-2018-logo-59747

https://twitter.com/CKonovalov/status/935837480619782144
https://twitter.com/CKonovalov/status/935841878800519168
https://twitter.com/akterpnd/status/935847987938578433

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Why is Szydło resigning?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Why is Szydło resigning?

No one really knows. People were speculating that it's so the duckman can replace her, but now that they've announced that Morawiecki's taking over the role of his most prominent puppet that theory's out of the window. There are rumours that she and Duda were conflicted and the latter demanded that she be replaced in exchange for returning to being Poland's First Pen.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dwesa posted:

Gosh nukes and an army?!! No other countries have those!!!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Why is Szydło resigning?

"The Moor has done his work, the Moor may go."

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Why is Szydło resigning?

Probably a show to distract from grabbing total control over the court system.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Why is Szydło resigning?

Hard to say. There were rumors about a great government reconstruction and for three weeks people speculated who's going to be replaced. Waszczykowski was one of the surest candidate, and people were speculating that Macierewicz, Szyszko and several other people also get sacked. Szydlo was pretty sure to go, but everyone expected Kaczynski to replace her.

The day of reconstruction comes and it's a wet fart. Only Szydlo gets replaced and remains a minister with no agenda. Morawiecki is the new Prime Minister, but also holds the Ministry of Finance as he did before. The rest still have their jobs as before.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Here's an interesting development no one saw coming

https://twitter.com/Stratfor/status/943631310458966018

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
What the gently caress, Russia???

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

As long as there is at least one channel broadcasting it, I am content.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

You jinxed it yesterday, you cad.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I think someone hacked their website, the letters are all hosed up.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Wesołych Świąt, thread!

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
Same. Full on pierożki and barszcz.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Merry Christmas

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-christmas-encounter-with-the-russian-soul-1513983153

quote:

A Christmas Encounter With the ‘Russian Soul’
The man who found my wallet demanded an ‘honorarium.’ He learned a lesson when I stood firm.
By
David Satter
Dec. 22, 2017 5:52 p.m. ET

As tension with Russia deepens, it may seem as if Americans have little in common with those living under Vladimir Putin’s dictatorship. But I have witnessed the triumph of good over evil in Russia many times, including on one striking occasion 25 years ago this month, when an expression of the “Russian soul” defused a dangerous situation and gave me hope for the country’s future.

Christmas Eve 1992 was bitter cold in Moscow, and the mood of the city was marked by depression and despair. I was there to complete my first book, “Age of Delirium,” about the fall of the Soviet Union.

History was moving rapidly all around me. On the streets, there were rows upon rows of stalls. The capital had turned into a giant bazaar as people sold anything—kitchen utensils, chewing gum, cigarettes, books, icons, heirlooms—to survive.

Yet there were still a few signs of progress, including new public telephones that used prepaid cards. I had a card in my wallet, along with cash and identification, but I had trouble using it in the subzero Russian winter. Once, while making a call, I put the card in my wallet and the wallet on a ledge in the booth. After hanging up, I left the booth having forgotten my wallet. When I returned less than five minutes later, my wallet had disappeared.
Three Russian telephone booths.
Three Russian telephone booths. Photo: Alamy Stock Photo

Forty-eight hours later, I received a call from “Yuri,” who told me that he had my wallet. He claimed it didn’t contain any cash when he found it. But he gave me his address and suggested I come see him so the “problem” of my wallet could be “discussed.”

Yuri lived in the Moscow suburb of Lyubertsy, a concrete jungle also famous for being the headquarters of the Luberetskaya criminal organization, which had terrorized Moscow since the early 1980s.

One year after the fall of communism, the criminal was king in Russia. Gangs collected extortion money from anyone operating a business on their “territory.” In the case of a dispute between rival gangs, there was a strelka, or meeting, at which the conflict was discussed. Usually the rivals tried to resolve the matter peacefully, but Russia was now awash in guns and both sides arrived at a strelka fully armed.

I took the metro to a station on the outskirts of Moscow and then flagged down a private car which took me to the address. I went to an apartment on the 14th floor and rang the bell. A man who looked about 30—nearly bald, with an athletic build—greeted me. He let me into his apartment, which consisted of a single room. There was a kitchen alcove in front of the window at the far end, where we sat down on two stools at a table.

“Thank you for keeping my wallet,” I said.

“Yes, I went to a lot of trouble,” Yuri replied. He explained that he worked at a supermarket as a security guard. “You can’t imagine how much time I spent trying to find you. I lost two days of work and almost a day’s worth of overtime.”

“I don’t want you to suffer,” I said, desperate to recover my wallet, and especially the identification I needed for traveling. “How much money do you think you lost?”

“At least 50,000 rubles.” At the official rate of exchange that was $120, an astronomical sum for an ordinary Russian at that time. But I took out five crisp 10,000-ruble notes and gave them to him.

“And my wallet?” I asked.

“I also need an honorarium.”

“I was happy to pay you for your expenses,” I said, “but I can’t pay you an honorarium. You are obliged to give me my wallet.”

“Why is that?” Yuri said, looking at me incredulously.

“Because,” I said, “it does not belong to you.”

Yuri hesitated for an odd moment, as if trying to assimilate what I had just said. He then stood up, reached over and opened a cabinet behind where I was sitting. A car backfired somewhere in the distance, and I suddenly became convinced he was reaching for his service pistol.

Yuri turned, and I saw that in one hand he was holding a bottle of vodka and in the other, two glasses. He put them on the table and poured out two drinks. “You know, you taught me something today.” He then said “bottoms up” and downed his vodka in one gulp. I reluctantly followed suit.

Then Yuri reached into his back pocket. “Here is your wallet,” he said. “You don’t have to pay me an honorarium.”

It was now well past midnight, and I shook hands with Yuri before taking an elevator to the ground floor. Outside, a full moon lit a cloudy sky. I never heard from Yuri again, and as Russia descended into criminality and chaos in the 1990s, I often wondered if our brief encounter had a lasting effect on him.

In subsequent years, as the Putin dictatorship tightened its grip, Westerners wondered how to answer Russian propaganda. Speeches were made and learned conferences were organized without getting us any closer to penetrating Moscow’s false worldview.

But as the encounter with Yuri that night in Lyubertsy showed, Russians can be reached if basic moral principles are made clear to them. Russians do not share the ethical heritage of the West, but moral intuition exists everywhere, and is able to be inspired. What matters is the message.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

lol, nice white knighting of russians there.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

So, I don't know about Russia or the western countries, but here in Poland there's something called "znaleźne". Basically, you're legally entitled to receive up to 10% of the value of a lost item you've found and returned to its owner. In practice with wallets it's 10% of the money inside.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Pierogi posted:

lol, nice white knighting of russians there.

You mean me, or the article?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Aumanor posted:

So, I don't know about Russia or the western countries, but here in Poland there's something called "znaleźne". Basically, you're legally entitled to receive up to 10% of the value of a lost item you've found and returned to its owner. In practice with wallets it's 10% of the money inside.
We've got something like that here in Denmark too, though it's only applicable if you hand it over to the police in a timely manner. That said, the police are basically free to set the finders fee at a lower number for more expensive items, which they seem pretty happy to do - much to the chagrin of people turning in large sums of money. You get a third of the profits for any item that ends up at a police auction though, so I suppose you'd preferably want to find some priceless artifact rather than just a bag of money.