Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I’m not sure where to ask this but this is the generic catch all thread so here we go.

Are you all seeing LESS 3D showings of movies lately?

Yeah, my neighborhood theater has cut 3D showings of the rare movie it does in 3D to once a day, rather than having a screen dedicated to it. And the big AMC has generally switched to IMAX being 2D and doing 3D on its smaller screens as its own thing. It's a really great development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I had purposely avoided any spoilers for this movie before I saw it, so Shin’s insane 1st form took me by such complete surprise in the theater that I had uncontrollable laughter at how absurd it looked thrashing around in the Tokyo suburbs.

I’m a good way though, the whole film is absurd like that.

Yeah, the fact that Shin-Goji looks kind of cute when he first appears just makes what he becomes more horrific. Really inspired choice, that.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Search for Katama-kun (or 蒲田くん) and you'll find a bunch of comics about how hilarious the first form is

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
My favorite little touch is the arms in his standard "this is me, godzilla" form. Gojira has always had pretty small and stubby arms, but the weird vestigial arms flailing about uselessly is really good at being grotesque.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Tars Tarkas posted:

Search for Katama-kun (or 蒲田くん) and you'll find a bunch of comics about how hilarious the first form is

Is that a TOMATO TREE??!?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEMjAf_Bf-g

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Tars Tarkas posted:

Is that Nausicaä feeding him?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Sir Kodiak posted:

They're specifically responding to the bit about "preventing the prehistoric beasts from becoming extinct (again)." But, yeah, I agree, you can make a perfectly sensible movie in which Pratt is pushing against the attitude that they can just make more because he cares about the animals themselves.

I'd imagine there'll be a story beat about the technology being banned on a global scale after the last movie or it not being viable financially anymore since it would be impossible to get an insurance company to underwrite any company that touches it.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Rough Lobster posted:

Is that a TOMATO TREE??!?

Japan is an amazing country!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

I was thinking more Destroy All Monsters, but with giant mickey and friends fighting godzilla's pals

Jose Oquendo posted:

I’m not sure where to ask this but this is the generic catch all thread so here we go.

Are you all seeing LESS 3D showings of movies lately?

If I check all 3 of the nearby theaters (all different chains) they have just a couple of 3D showings of movies. I’m seeing a couple for Coco, one or none for Justice League. Same for Thor. For several years and including this summer it was basically all 3D all day. Not anymore, even during a big holiday weekend like Thanksgiving.

I checked my nearest IMAX theater and there’s no 3D IMAX showings for Star Wars.

I’m not complaining because 3D sucks but I’m just wondering if it’s just my area or the trend now.

The only 3d in my theater all of november was blade runner. Just the 4dx room too, other screens were 2d

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The most important thing about this trailer is that it announces the return of the yellow raincoat.

wdarkk posted:

Is that Nausicaä feeding him?

Yeah, it is. Pretty much how I'd expect that meeting to turn out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ryan Reynolds is next playing a Manga character.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ryan-reynolds-star-pokemon-movie-detective-pikachu-1065206

Pikachu

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Laaaame

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
So will it be like groot where its just a celeb voice saying 'pika pika' or will he speak full sentences

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This version of Pikachu speaks full blown English/Japanese.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Alex Hirsch is writing so it should be good, but they are obviously going for Deadpool-lite style humor now, not sure what the humor style in the game was so others will have to chime in on that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Boooo, give me DeVito or nothing at all

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why would anyone care about Devito doing the voice if he isn't gonna Frank Reynolds it?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He has a fantastic voice. He was Homer's brother in those two episodes of The Simpsons.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes he does, but I'll be honest I only want to see him be a disgusting monster from here on out.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

Yes he does, but I'll be honest I only want to see him be a disgusting monster from here on out.

Suicide Squad 2: The Penguin Returns

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

He has a fantastic voice. He was Homer's brother in those two episodes of The Simpsons.

two episodes? I only remember one

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The first one introduced him as the automobile mobile and he let Homer design a car that was so bad it ruined his company and made him homeless.

In the second, he visits Homer and invents a machine that translates baby talk and makes him rich again.

I think the second episode is in season 4. Both were very early. I'm pretty sure they asked Devito to return but he rightly declined.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Detective No. 27 posted:

In the second, he visits Homer and invents a machine that translates baby talk and makes him rich again.

I think the second episode is in season 4. Both were very early. I'm pretty sure they asked Devito to return but he rightly declined.

gently caress! How could I forgot that episode?

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I will only watch this movie if it's a full on Freaky Friday scenario.

Meaning that for every scene of Pikachu solving crimes, we get a scene of naked Sherlock Holmes crawling around 221B Baker Street trying to shoot lightning out of his rear end and yelling "PIKA PI!" while Watson watches in despair.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 7, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Has a cameo in another episode as well, they try to call for a loan and get an answering machine saying "Hi. I'm poor again. Leave a message."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SleepCousinDeath posted:

Suicide Squad 2: The Penguin Returns

EVEN PENGUINS NEED WATAAH

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

gently caress! How could I forgot that episode?

"This leash dehumanizes us both."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If anyone was wondering, that Tarantino Star Trek movie is being pitched as R rated.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Something to remember. Star Trek might be the last franchise that Samuel L Jackson hasn't been in yet.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I hope it's an original Star Trek movie. Or if they have to go to the well, that's its set around DS9 era. Or something just wildly different.

But then again Tarantino does the western well and "The wild west in space" is kind of Star Trek's thing.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gatts posted:

I hope it's an original Star Trek movie. Or if they have to go to the well, that's its set around DS9 era. Or something just wildly different.

But then again Tarantino does the western well and "The wild west in space" is kind of Star Trek's thing.

Rumor is it's all about resolving the Abrams-verse timeline with the OG timeline and the ethical implications of people existing in multiple universes, based on some comments he made on a podcast a few years back.

RugClockVexx
Aug 15, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

Rumor is it's all about resolving the Abrams-verse timeline with the OG timeline and the ethical implications of people existing in multiple universes, based on some comments he made on a podcast a few years back.

This would be amazing-ly great. I'd love the franchise to get back on track and have just one universe for their IP. I like the JJ stuff alright but I think they've kind've split their audience. Lots of millennials grew up on TNG, Ds9, VGR and don't really get boners (or lady boners) for the old stuff like the studios wished they would.

Is Tarantino a fan of Trek? Or did he just have a really fantastic foot-lickin'-good idea regarding Trek one day?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think it's kinda lovely. Just tell a story where nobody dies and the Enterprise doesn't blow up and the stakes are low and the plot is about wrestling with a cool ethical issue and there's some interesting speculative science and some aliens look dope.

Apparently he based the plot off of a TNG episode, though, so maybe it'll be heady and interesting.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A sci-fi conundrum-of-the-week movie would be great, and you gotta think they could get it done for less than the $185 million Beyond apparently cost.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I wonder if it's the episode where Worf was being phased through multiple universes. It's one of the much cooler and better episodes. When things start collapsing one of the Enterprises is from a universe where the Borg have won, they're one of the last survivors, their Riker begs the Riker Captain of the Enterprise with our Worf not to fix things to the way they were, so they don't get sent back. Our Worf's Riker has to fire on that ship to save Worf who is trying to enter an anomaly, and it kills them and their Enterprise. As Worf is shifting through, in one of the universes Geordie dies in part because Worf couldn't act cause the controls to fire weapons changed, and in another he's married to Troi I think but it's not the same Worf so its awkward or something.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

Something to remember. Star Trek might be the last franchise that Samuel L Jackson hasn't been in yet.

I just watched Long Kiss Goodnight ('tis the season) and this must be done.

Jackson will golf in Star Trek.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

feedmyleg posted:

some aliens look dope.

Has this ever been true for Star Trek?

Sir Kodiak posted:

A sci-fi conundrum-of-the-week movie would be great, and you gotta think they could get it done for less than the $185 million Beyond apparently cost.

For comparison, Arrival cost $47m per Wiki, but it also doesn't have the baggage of franchise, which almost necessitates having money pumped into it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

That would be lovely. Star Trek has had many universes since TOS. Why bother erasing the Abramsverse? Which universe does Discovery take place in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Gatts posted:

I wonder if it's the episode where Worf was being phased through multiple universes. It's one of the much cooler and better episodes. When things start collapsing one of the Enterprises is from a universe where the Borg have won, they're one of the last survivors, their Riker begs the Riker Captain of the Enterprise with our Worf not to fix things to the way they were, so they don't get sent back. Our Worf's Riker has to fire on that ship to save Worf who is trying to enter an anomaly, and it kills them and their Enterprise. As Worf is shifting through, in one of the universes Geordie dies in part because Worf couldn't act cause the controls to fire weapons changed, and in another he's married to Troi I think but it's not the same Worf so its awkward or something.

It's Yesterday's Enterprise.

• Locked thread