Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
Why not just use the gamecube version if not using the HD remaster? It is better than the Wii version anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

yeah I wanna see what they do for galaxy. I'm gonna be pissed if shield people can play galaxy with a stick but i can't on my wii u!!

not that the waggle is that bad, i just dont like having to keep a wii mote around these days

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Donna Burke is obvs recording for another Outrun game
https://youtu.be/cyJhK97EfDk

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I couldn't get into AssCreed Egypt so I'm trading it in today for another Switch game. I'm really feeling wanting to play an RPG of some kind, and I'm sort of heading towards Skyrim. I played it when it came out to what I think was like halfway and never beat it for some reason. Is the Switch version pretty cool or does the game feel horribly dated now? Also, can I play the game as a rogue/alchemist/poisons build or is it pretty much required to sword and board/brute strength my way through?

My other possible choice is Xenoblade 2 but I've never been able to get into the whole jrpg/anime thing as much as I try. Also not big on hearing that the game can be very tedious and waste time. For those of you that aren't into JRPGs but have played it, how you liking it?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

oh and the shield has mgs2 too. damnit i am getting jealous

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I was in a similar boat. Bought Assassin's Creed on Black Friday, tried it, and I wasn't really feeling it. I decided to trade it in towards Xenoblade 2 and now I'm really feeling it.

I might get Skyrim in the future. If it makes a difference, I'm betting it will get a price drop before Xenoblade does.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
those shield versions look identical to the games running on dolphin, which you can also gently caress around with to put the wiimote on the right stick.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

As an aside, "Chinese Nintendo" is like the perfect forums username.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Had an odd experience today. Took my Switch out of the dock and the right joycon was completely unresponsive, and the switch showed it as greyed out. Popping it off and back on didn't do anything. Finally I held the sync button for a bit and it sync'd back up to the switch and worked again.

This is the first time this has ever happened since I got the system at launch. Is it possible for joycons to just randomly desync even if they're just sitting there attached to the switch while it's in the dock for a long period of time? Or am I possibly looking at a defective or failing joycon?

I mean, if they're attached to the switch itself, they shouldn't need to sync to it, right? This has me worried.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

I was in a similar boat. Bought Assassin's Creed on Black Friday, tried it, and I wasn't really feeling it. I decided to trade it in towards Xenoblade 2 and now I'm really feeling it.

I might get Skyrim in the future. If it makes a difference, I'm betting it will get a price drop before Xenoblade does.

If Skyrim was priced better, I'd already own it. Oh well though, dems da breaks. The idea of revisiting it though has sounded appealing.

I have watched numerous videos on Xenoblade and it just looks confusing. Maybe I should just give it a try.

One thing for sure though, AssCreed is bland, save for how the world looks.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

I have watched numerous videos on Xenoblade and it just looks confusing. Maybe I should just give it a try.

The game does a really good job of slowly introducing new combat mechanics to you so that you don't feel overwhelmed. It does a less good job of effectively communicating information to you during battles.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just got the buff Australian barbarian guy in Xenoblade 2. Im really not liking it as much as I hoped :( i like it enough to keep playing but I dunno it’s not clicking with me as much as it seems to with other people

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

man nurse posted:

Had an odd experience today. Took my Switch out of the dock and the right joycon was completely unresponsive, and the switch showed it as greyed out. Popping it off and back on didn't do anything. Finally I held the sync button for a bit and it sync'd back up to the switch and worked again.

This is the first time this has ever happened since I got the system at launch. Is it possible for joycons to just randomly desync even if they're just sitting there attached to the switch while it's in the dock for a long period of time? Or am I possibly looking at a defective or failing joycon?

I mean, if they're attached to the switch itself, they shouldn't need to sync to it, right? This has me worried.

One of mine occasionally doesn't sync on startup (occasionally meaning I think it's done it twice in the 6 months I've had the Switch). It doesn't have any other issues though, just needs to be synched manually and is fine from there.

Zas posted:

tphd already doesnt use motion controls tho right

not to mention gcn. someone check if the world is flipped

It's the Gamecube version or a port of HD, Link's holding Epona's reigns in his right hand in one of those shots and he holds them in his left in the Wii version. Yes I'm sad for knowing this poo poo.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 6, 2017

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I just got the buff Australian barbarian guy in Xenoblade 2. Im really not liking it as much as I hoped :( i like it enough to keep playing but I dunno it’s not clicking with me as much as it seems to with other people

You're pretty close to where the story really picks up. I'd say stick with it through the end of chapter 3 and if it hasn't grabbed you by then, it probably won't.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

If Skyrim was priced better, I'd already own it. Oh well though, dems da breaks. The idea of revisiting it though has sounded appealing.

One thing for sure though, AssCreed is bland, save for how the world looks.

It is pretty confusing but after playing a bit and reading on the things I missed it's getting clearer. Sometimes I've gone to fight random mobs just to figure things out and so far I haven't gotten stuck.

Sensual Simian
Jun 7, 2004

summer jorts
There is definitely a LOT of information during fights, especially larger mobs, and it can get overwhelming. Aside from healing pots, I am still unaware of a dedicated healing mechanic...?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sensual Simian posted:

There is definitely a LOT of information during fights, especially larger mobs, and it can get overwhelming. Aside from healing pots, I am still unaware of a dedicated healing mechanic...?

One of Nia's arts for the chakram weapons is a healing spell.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sensual Simian posted:

A lot of arts just directly heal your party. Certainly one of the White tiger ones does. poo poo what's his name? Hrobarth?

Edit: Dromarch!

Gambino
Feb 22, 2013

SMO is on sale for 49 bucks on Amazon. Not much of a sale, but it's something. I think someone asked about it going on sale in this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Odyssey-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01MY7GHKJ?th=1

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Waffleman_ posted:

Donna Burke is the announcer for Sma5h.

Mistress Hand and Wacky Hand are gonna be vicious.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I couldn't get into AssCreed Egypt so I'm trading it in today for another Switch game. I'm really feeling wanting to play an RPG of some kind, and I'm sort of heading towards Skyrim. I played it when it came out to what I think was like halfway and never beat it for some reason. Is the Switch version pretty cool or does the game feel horribly dated now? Also, can I play the game as a rogue/alchemist/poisons build or is it pretty much required to sword and board/brute strength my way through?

I was in a similar position -- played Skyrim on launch for maybe two weeks, at which point Bethesda games stop becoming compelling, then put it down until the Switch version dropped.

It was fun to revisit and the included DLCs added a decent bit of interest that I naturally drifted toward. Also, Bethesda games have conflicting design principles: as even an amateur min-maxxer I'm compelled to steal everything in sight and sell it, but the game really shines when you don't fast travel to your objectives which means only holding what you can carry but also going off on unexpected tangents.

And yes, rogue-alchemist-poison archer is supremely baller. Probably stronger than sword and board. But also more fun on a console: a few of the built-in mechanics are trivialized by perfect mouse-aim.

It's been two weeks and I just last night lost interest in the game but it was totally worth my while. And I bought physical, so I can give it to someone else.

njsykora posted:

It's the Gamecube version or a port of HD, Link's holding Epona's reigns in his right hand in one of those shots and he holds them in his left in the Wii version. Yes I'm sad for knowing this poo poo.

Be happy: Link is left-handed in all of the games up to Gamecube Twilight Princess, but he's right handed in the Wii version.

They figured most people would waggle with their right hand but would find it confusing if them waggling their right hand in real life caused Link to waggle his left hand in the game.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Hammer Bro. posted:

I was in a similar position -- played Skyrim on launch for maybe two weeks, at which point Bethesda games stop becoming compelling, then put it down until the Switch version dropped.

It was fun to revisit and the included DLCs added a decent bit of interest that I naturally drifted toward. Also, Bethesda games have conflicting design principles: as even an amateur min-maxxer I'm compelled to steal everything in sight and sell it, but the game really shines when you don't fast travel to your objectives which means only holding what you can carry but also going off on unexpected tangents.

And yes, rogue-alchemist-poison archer is supremely baller. Probably stronger than sword and board. But also more fun on a console: a few of the built-in mechanics are trivialized by perfect mouse-aim.

It's been two weeks and I just last night lost interest in the game but it was totally worth my while. And I bought physical, so I can give it to someone else.

Be happy: Link is left-handed in all of the games up to Gamecube Twilight Princess, but he's right handed in the Wii version.

They figured most people would waggle with their right hand but would find it confusing if them waggling their right hand in real life caused Link to waggle his left hand in the game.

Thanks a bunch for that feedback! Gonna go pick up Skyrim.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

FireMrshlBill posted:

Why not just use the gamecube version if not using the HD remaster? It is better than the Wii version anyway.

And the HD version improves on that. I’m not sure I’d rebuy unless it was that version since it fixes a lot of annoying things. Same with Wind Waker HD.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

man the final level of super mario odyssey really highlighted how bad I am at the game, gently caress.

Also a weird thing happened, I was playing splatoon 2 with my brother, both in the same room and in the same match, connected to the same wifi. All's going well in the game until I get kicked out but my brother doesn't. Is there any logical explanation for this other than lovely luck for me? Woulda won too :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The game doesnt actually start until like the end of chapter 4. Australian guy in ch 3 is just a tutorial dude to show rex the ropes basically like he introduces driver knockdown/launcher combos etc.

The opening of the game is way too slow on giving you fun combat tools but in another 2-3 hours you'll be able to use 3 blades and have good options

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just got the buff Australian but in the hours before that I finally started pulling off full combos and felt really good about it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

The Bloop posted:

I like platformers and collectathons and poo poo and would play them all day. I want snake pass but with jumping.

Have you tried Poi?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

organburner posted:

Also a weird thing happened, I was playing splatoon 2 with my brother, both in the same room and in the same match, connected to the same wifi. All's going well in the game until I get kicked out but my brother doesn't. Is there any logical explanation for this other than lovely luck for me? Woulda won too :(
It has happened to me with Mario kart so I think it's just another consoles have cheap lovely wifi chips thing

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I just got the buff Australian but in the hours before that I finally started pulling off full combos and felt really good about it.

Yeah, same. Now I really want the third blade slot so I have more element options for combos...

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

inferis posted:

It has happened to me with Mario kart so I think it's just another consoles have cheap lovely wifi chips thing

Well drat :( Maybe I should get an ethernet adapter if that'd be better.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I've got all these core crystals but don't want to use them until I have more slots and at least another character that can have more than one blade.

Hey Vandham I'll give you another core Crystal just say the word! I don't want to look at your sandbag titty bird.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Make sure your first 2nd ring affinity chart purchase is canceling arts into other arts cause it is extremely necessary imo to making the combat fun

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I've got all these core crystals but don't want to use them until I have more slots and at least another character that can have more than one blade.

Hey Vandham I'll give you another core Crystal just say the word! I don't want to look at your sandbag titty bird.
I have both good and bad news, friend.

(You get someone with one blade and two open slots right before the end of Chapter 4, so you've got a ways to go - the Mercenary mechanic that comes up at the end of Chapter 3 rewards you for keeping a bunch of trash blades around so you might burn some before then, though.)

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

organburner posted:

Well drat :( Maybe I should get an ethernet adapter if that'd be better.
This comes up pretty frequently in the splatoon thread and I seem to be the one person who is all "what disconnects?" my switch is generally either 2m from the router or on ethernet when it's upstairs. So yeah do that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I like my trash blades. I got this one guy who is wind and loves fishing and is incredibly sassy whenever I level him up.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

jackhunter64 posted:

Twilight Princess running on Shield is 1080p and has ABXY buttons on the HUD, so they're probably re-coding the games to not use motion at the same time.

https://twitter.com/chinesenintendo/status/938224468056358912

nice to see them take lovely motion controls out of their old wii games

now if they'd only do it for their new switch games!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ColdPie posted:

Have you tried Poi?
I hate taro root!

OK its a game.....Nope! Looks like a wannabe Mario Sunshine with less-jaggy n64 graphics..... could be good.

Any goon reviews?

Mutant Standard posted:

nice to see them take lovely motion controls out of their old wii games

now if they'd only do it for their new switch games!
Can anyone help me, I've burned myself on this take.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hammer Bro. posted:

but the game really shines when you don't fast travel to your objectives which means only holding what you can carry but also going off on unexpected tangents.

This right here REALLY helps Skyrim from getting boring. I don't think I'll ever fast travel in the game again (aside from using the cart system). Morrowind had it right.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Bloop posted:

I hate taro root!

OK its a game.....Nope! Looks like a wannabe Mario Sunshine with less-jaggy n64 graphics..... could be good.

Any goon reviews?

Brian Altano of IGN seemed into it. He was playing it while waiting for Odyssey because he didn't have a review copy. Seems a little pricey though to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The Bloop posted:

tbf their latest hit (Mario) could skip the bit with the shake controls and nothing would really change. They jam it in way too much.

• Locked thread