Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I refuse to use the shake controls. It's annoying. BotW's aiming fine tuning seems to be the most I'll tolerate. Splatoon is an exception but that's actual motion aiming and generally fun. Completely distinct from Marios waggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Like, I agree that the motion controls don't do much for Odyssey and they should have just put the same function on a button I guess but it's 100% optional and NBD

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I refuse to use the shake controls. It's annoying. BotW's aiming fine tuning seems to be the most I'll tolerate. Splatoon is an exception but that's actual motion aiming and generally fun. Completely distinct from Marios waggle.

lol

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

Gambino posted:

SMO is on sale for 49 bucks on Amazon. Not much of a sale, but it's something. I think someone asked about it going on sale in this thread.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Mario-Odyssey-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B01MY7GHKJ?th=1

Thanks for pointing this out, i'm guessing most people already own it but I'm getting my switch on Friday so this ended up being perfect.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

The Bloop posted:

Like, I agree that the motion controls don't do much for Odyssey and they should have just put the same function on a button I guess but it's 100% optional and NBD

Aren't there several moves you can only do with motion? (climbing poles faster, throwing hat in a circle around you, etc) I wasn't a fan of the controls with the forced motion control use basically. It seemed the only way to play the game (or at least how they seemed to make it the intended way) was using split joy cons. This isn't the Wii, you have tons of other controller options (handheld, pro controller) but the ways to use the motions only work one way essentially. :shrug:

I wish they'd give this poo poo up, it doesn't add anything for me personally. It was annoying and felt broken in Zelda too.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Hammer Bro. posted:

Be happy: Link is left-handed in all of the games up to Gamecube Twilight Princess, but he's right handed in the Wii version.

They figured most people would waggle with their right hand but would find it confusing if them waggling their right hand in real life caused Link to waggle his left hand in the game.

As a left hander, it is annoying to have to play a traditionally left handed character using my right hand. I ended up playing it left handed anyway and just doing the movement backwards.

Would it have been that hard to just mirror everything based on a left/right handed setting selection at the start of the game?

SeANMcBAY posted:

And the HD version improves on that. I’m not sure I’d rebuy unless it was that version since it fixes a lot of annoying things. Same with Wind Waker HD.

Definitely should do the HD version, but not sure if they are using an emulator or a port. But Zelda is the "take my money" series, so I would buy either version on the Switch, though the improvements in the HD releases (like the faster sail in WW) would be more desirable.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

waggle bad gyro good

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Larrymer posted:

Aren't there several moves you can only do with motion? (climbing poles faster, throwing hat in a circle around you, etc) I wasn't a fan of the controls with the forced motion control use basically. It seemed the only way to play the game (or at least how they seemed to make it the intended way) was using split joy cons. This isn't the Wii, you have tons of other controller options (handheld, pro controller) but the ways to use the motions only work one way essentially. :shrug:

I wish they'd give this poo poo up, it doesn't add anything for me personally. It was annoying and felt broken in Zelda too.

There was a part in Mario that legit screwed with me where you had to ride a bullet a far distance and I could not get it with just the button to fly faster, you have to shake to fly fasterer.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Larrymer posted:

You can hold Y to climb fast, and I 100% the game without using motion controls.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kaubocks posted:

waggle bad gyro good

Even the gyro is bad. I can't get the spin throw flick to function correctly. Like 9.5 out of 10 it just does a regular throw. All motion controls are bad.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You can hold Y to climb fast, and I 100% the game without using motion controls.

I'm almost sure that there are some moons that require them.

Like the few moons that require frog high jumps.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Just grabbed the special edition of the titty blade game, god help me.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

you can 100% the game without motion but some advanced skills that allow players to add more nuance and depth to their movepool require motion controls and that's bad. it's an artificial, unnecessary barrier to letting people get wackier with their skillset.

also, you can hold Y to climb fast but waggling makes you climb even faster

SlayVus posted:

Even the gyro is bad. I can't get the spin throw flick to function correctly. Like 9.5 out of 10 it just does a regular throw. All motion controls are bad.

that's still a waggle imho, gyro is good as proven by any game that lets you aim with gyro

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Andrast posted:

I'm almost sure that there are some moons that require them.

Like the few moons that require frog high jumps.

You're right, there are at least two I can think off that I had to shake the whole system to get.

But still, 2 moons out of 900+ is pretty good.

Kaubocks posted:

you can 100% the game without motion but some advanced skills that allow players to add more nuance and depth to their movepool require motion controls and that's bad. it's an artificial, unnecessary barrier to letting people get wackier with their skillset.

What's the most advanced move outside of the throw, leap, bounce, throw, leap?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The frog high jump you can just jump out of the frog and dive at the apex to get the moon.

The bullet bill you can capture, take out a little, get out, lure, capture again to reset the timer, and make it.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaubocks posted:

waggle bad gyro good

Keep gyro aiming forever imo

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Just grabbed the special edition of the titty blade game, god help me.

is it good?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kaubocks posted:

Or... it is just another skill you'd need to pull off "advanced" moves?

Again, I don't necessarily "like" it in Odyssey but it's no more "artificial" than a button, just less common and more polarizing.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The Switch is getting Bridge Constructor Portal!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O-hLjRiBoY

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

What's the most advanced move outside of the throw, leap, bounce, throw, leap?

upwards hat throw enables some shenanigans about reaching things you wouldn't be able to reach otherwise

The Bloop posted:

Or... it is just another skill you'd need to pull off "advanced" moves?

the skill should come from your capability to put the move to good use, not the capability of performing the input

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

waggle bad gyro good

Tldr for my post I guess. Yes.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Kaubocks posted:

waggle bad gyro good

splatoon's gyro controls should be the future of the genre. i guess that would mean no recoil but it's a fair sacrifice.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Frankston posted:

Not sure what this is but I’ll buy it!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mutant Standard posted:

splatoon's gyro controls should be the future of the genre. i guess that would mean no recoil but it's a fair sacrifice.

:yeah:

It makes playing every other duel stick shooter feel awkward in comparison. I wish the Doom Switch port supported it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Mutant Standard posted:

Botws are 1000x better

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Botws are 1000x better

As someone who has played hundreds of hours of both... no.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
Yeah the motion controls felt pretty much optional in Mario Odyssey

whaley fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 6, 2017

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Hello, I'm the one who played Twilight Princess on the Wii and liked the sword play.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Motion controls own in Skyrim. Makes sniping the skeever/draeger/wolf/bear that is b-lining towards me waaaaaay easier

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

the skill should come from your capability to put the move to good use, not the capability of performing the input

This is also the same argument against execution-heavy fighting games, isn't it? Besides, nothing's preventing anyone from getting good at performing the input, especially when most of them are just "waggle" anyway, which is just as skill-less, maybe more, than pressing a button. As long as they keep refining the system to avoid false positives and false negatives, it'll eventually all just boil down to muscle memory in the end.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

andipossess posted:

As someone who has played hundreds of hours of both... no.

Sorry

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
Motion controls are imprecise and that's why they feel out of place in a platformer.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Frankston posted:

It can run The Orange box and Portal 2, but they're making this bullshit instead?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Mister Facetious posted:

It can run The Orange box and Portal 2, but they're making this bullshit instead?

Valve doesn't make games, they just collect their percentage of Steam sales and play DOTA2 all day.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Mister Facetious posted:

That's the thought that went through my brain as well.

I would love to play Half-Life 2 on the go. Hell, I bet TF2 would have a decent community on Switch.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm telling all my friends that Valve is working on a third Portal game. I hope I don't get beaten up.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The frog high jump you can just jump out of the frog and dive at the apex to get the moon.

The bullet bill you can capture, take out a little, get out, lure, capture again to reset the timer, and make it.

I could never get it to reset the timer. So tried luring a second one behind the first to capture but could never get the angle down due to the camera deciding to do its own thing. So ended up shaking the drat system to speed up.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Valve doesn't make games, they just collect their percentage of Steam sales and play DOTA2 all day.

Can't blame them there, though I wouldn't play DOTA2

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

andipossess posted:

This is also the same argument against execution-heavy fighting games, isn't it? Besides, nothing's preventing anyone from getting good at performing the input, especially when most of them are just "waggle" anyway, which is just as skill-less, maybe more, than pressing a button. As long as they keep refining the system to avoid false positives and false negatives, it'll eventually all just boil down to muscle memory in the end.

Anybody can execute a dragon punch or a 360 with a few minutes of practice because you're just pressing directions and then a button. Doing the upwards hat toss is finicky and there's no way to execute it perfectly every time you want to, due to the nature of motion controls.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Rexroom posted:

Hello, I'm the one who played Twilight Princess on the Wii and liked the sword play.

I didn’t mind them either, but gently caress Skyward Sword and it’s MotionPlus controls.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

tap my mountain posted:

Anybody can execute a dragon punch or a 360 with a few minutes of practice because you're just pressing directions and then a button. Doing the upwards hat toss is finicky and there's no way to execute it perfectly every time you want to, due to the nature of motion controls.

Uh this is distinctly untrue. You can totally execute hat tosses perfectly every time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Zore posted:

Uh this is distinctly untrue. You can totally execute hat tosses perfectly every time?

What's the trick, are you supposed to swing or lift?

• Locked thread