Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
is Ritter Sport any good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The dark one is decent.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I had a Neuhaus retailer in DC when I lived there, they had pretty decent (if overpriced) belgian chocolates.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
FFS what is not interesting about a team pushing their motor so hard to try and get the win that it explodes?

Norns posted:

Hershey's is disgusting cuz they have an additive in it that makes it taste like puke

stop eating puke?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

FFS what is not interesting about a team pushing their motor so hard to try and get the win that it explodes?

That is my posting style

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

The fuel flow thing is literally the best idea they've had for organically managing engine power levels in decades. The fact that thermal efficiency for these engines has gradually climbed above 50% shows that it's working while still encouraging development.

I don't want to disagree with this. I just want them to increase the limit. Give the cars more power. How did they decide that this current level is "enough" in what's supposed to be the most exciting car race series in the world. Why not increase, even by like 5% a year and see where that takes us? It won't result in immediate monster uncontrollable cars, or too-fast-to-corner-safely issues, or grenades-on-wheels. Actually, now I think that this is a genius idea. Why aren't we doing this? F1 can claim "more power, faster cars!" every year, and can plan ahead to at least a few years of steady increases before they have to pull it back a bit. Let's make this happen, worst thread!

Hell, give teams the option during qualifying to use 110% of the limit for the race. In any case, sitting at this "safe" level is boring as gently caress.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nobody is talking about "enforcing parity through attrition".

Plot twist... for every race you win, you MUST increase the output of your engine 10%. The next race that you don't win, it goes back to baseline.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

We're already breaking lap records every second race and these things are above 1000bhp in qualifying. Exactly how much more power do you want?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

As I understand it, the problem is not the fuel flow limit, it’s the weight of the fuel. More powerful engines that require more fuel would also require so much added weight in fuel that the power gains would be cancelled out. You’d have to bring back refueling, which doesn’t sound like a terrible idea now that Massa is gone.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

wicka posted:

As I understand it, the problem is not the fuel flow limit, it’s the weight of the fuel. More powerful engines that require more fuel would also require so much added weight in fuel that the power gains would be cancelled out. You’d have to bring back refueling, which doesn’t sound like a terrible idea now that Massa is gone.

This will never happen even though it would own.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I guess if there was a real breakthrough in combustion or fuel technology it might, but even then F1 can't even pretend to be about consumer anything if they re-allow refueling.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Still think you should be allowed to run HCCI or any other weird ignition system if you want to.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
The fact that Merc is claiming a 60-65% thermal efficiency is insane in and of itself.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Still think you should be allowed to run HCCI or any other weird ignition system if you want to.

It’s weird that they outright ban things that could actually help with producing more efficient road engines.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

It’s weird that they outright ban things that could actually help with producing more efficient road engines.

In fairness, I'm pretty sure they weren't expecting TJI to become a thing and thought most the development would be around MGU-H efficiencies. When you look at the original development lock out dates I'm pretty sure like 95% of the ICE was to be homologated by next year.

Mandating poo poo like spark plugs is really part of the issue though, if you can get a petrol engine to run without one there's no reason you shouldn't be allowed to.

E: I'd have to look but I'm pretty sure the rules are as explicit as requiring one spark per detonation event, like Jesus loving Christ are they that petrified of a loophole being found.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 6, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

GramCracker posted:

The fact that Merc is claiming a 60-65% thermal efficiency is insane in and of itself.

fuckin lol that av

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Like mate if you want to make F1 a spec formula just say so

I do

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

1500quidporsche posted:

We're already breaking lap records every second race and these things are above 1000bhp in qualifying. Exactly how much more power do you want?

Just more. More is better. Give the cars more power until they become either unstable or unmanageable. And then in the case of the latter, get better drivers.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

CratSock posted:

Just more. More is better. Give the cars more power until they become either unstable or unmanageable. And then in the case of the latter, get better drivers.

Ban aero.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
All we really need is an independent engine supplier that does not suck balls.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

"Spec" cylinders, half off, better than the old ones.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

1500quidporsche posted:

Let's say we go with your solution. The focus is just going to be on driving a ram air effect and rising the system pressure to overcome the throttle restriction. You put a blow off valve on it and then the thought turns to okay how do I get it to burn richer so there's more energy in the combustion chamber on detonation.

There's always a work around to any limit. The genius of a well enforced fuel flow limit is that there is intact a theoretical limit to the power that can be used per second and it's the engineer's job to extract the maximum amount of that.

Out of interest: couldn't you limit the air ram effect by reducing the allowed diameter of the air intake, like it is done in some series? This wouldn't work for turbos, I suppose, only for naturally aspirated engines, or am I wrong?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

tuo posted:

Out of interest: couldn't you limit the air ram effect by reducing the allowed diameter of the air intake, like it is done in some series? This wouldn't work for turbos, I suppose, only for naturally aspirated engines, or am I wrong?

You could straight up reverse it, but then you probably end up getting guys playing around with pulse tuning like with two stroke exhausts to get the pressure back up.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is all moot because the fuckers at Liberty and Fia already spoke about the 3 engine rules. Mercedes is going to dominate because they already have the best one

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

All we really need is an independent engine supplier that does not suck balls.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

DoctorGonzo posted:

This is all moot because the fuckers at Liberty and Fia already spoke about the 3 engine rules. Mercedes is going to dominate because they already have the best one

“The fuckers at Liberty and the FIA” can’t do a drat thing because the teams have to unanimously support changing the rules.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Formula E is the world’s first electric street racing series, defined by real street rivalries, raw electric performance, and renewable energy within reach. Formula E is disruptive in motorsport, redefining the very boundaries of what a sport can be through the unique fusion of entertainment, sustainability, technology and innovation. We are fighting climate change by offering electric vehicles as a solution to air pollution in city centres and breaking down the barriers to the electric vehicle market: Technology, Perception and Infrastructure.

We are not just a race! We are a technological and sustainable development test bed for some of the leading companies in and out of motor racing to address mobility and environmental issues.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Wirth1000 posted:

Formula E is the world’s first electric street racing series, defined by real street rivalries, raw electric performance, and renewable energy within reach. Formula E is disruptive in motorsport, redefining the very boundaries of what a sport can be through the unique fusion of entertainment, sustainability, technology and innovation. We are fighting climate change by offering electric vehicles as a solution to air pollution in city centres and breaking down the barriers to the electric vehicle market: Technology, Perception and Infrastructure.

We are not just a race! We are a technological and sustainable development test bed for some of the leading companies in and out of motor racing to address mobility and environmental issues.

Yeah, but what about the process to create those batteries

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

GramCracker posted:

Yeah, but what about the process to create those batteries

Yeah, but what about : support vehicles, freight planes, set up costs, track tractors, heavy equipment, literally everything else

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Wirth1000 posted:

Formula E is the world’s first electric street racing series, defined by real street rivalries

are MS-13 gonna race the crips or something?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

We are not just a race! We are a technological and sustainable development test bed for some of the leading companies

White people

The Unfetered One
May 31, 2011

by Lowtax

wicka posted:

White people

Racist

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Wirth1000 posted:

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

wicka posted:

“The fuckers at Liberty and the FIA” can’t do a drat thing because the teams have to unanimously support changing the rules.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/133455/todt-no-going-back-on-2018-engine-rules

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

White people

:chloe:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
It's ok to be white Honda

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Todt said he was as unhappy as other people about the extent that some teams had been hit with grid penalties this year, but he said without all teams wanting to change things there was nothing that could be done.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Yeah Renault and Honda engines blowing up every weekend back in 2015 really wasn't enough of a canery in the coal mine to require a change when they didn't need the consent of all teams.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Yes but you see imposing penalties for number of engines used will reduce costs because...uhhh

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

Yes but you see imposing penalties for number of engines used will reduce costs because...uhhh

Toto basically blamed Horner for gunning so hard to reduce costs. So like everything else in this sport, blame Red Bull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dont care about budget caps and cost cutting, every team should spend insane money to win. its not my money, go wild

• Locked thread