Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I know what she‘s getting on their anniversary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

fruit on the bottom posted:

I know what she‘s getting on their anniversary.

A break up?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

My [23M] girlfriend [29F], 2 yr relationship, said "is it a diamond, because you know I'll get it checked?"

quote:

Honestly, her comments make me want to end the relationship immediately.

Do it. End the relationship.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Lab-created diamonds are a thing. Moissanite is a diamond simulant (looks like a diamond but isn't), but lab-created diamonds are real diamonds created in labs. I personally prefer moissanite because it's sparklier, but lab-created diamonds are cheaper than mined diamonds and not evil.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Ring value range that she wants is 15-20k

holy poo poo

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dude makes 80k and she wants a 15-20k diamond. Dumping her is a moral imperative.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

quote:

She said that diamonds is what she wants because they are forever, expensive, and what engagement rings should be made of.

Thanks, marketers!

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
My [23M] girlfriend [29F], 2 yr relationship, said "is it a diamond, because you know I'll get it checked?"

quote:

Being an engineer

I've identified the problem.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

for my wedding ring i want a lifetime supply of hot pockets

Barudak
May 7, 2007

datajugend posted:

Isnt that just one hot pocket?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

datajugend posted:

Couldn't you at least opt for god tier microwave snacks like Bagel Bites?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kuros posted:

Couldn't you at least opt for god tier microwave snacks like Bagel Bites?

Dinner ready isnt pizza

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

datajugend posted:

What about a single giant hot pocket? Like a hot pocket the size of a sleeping bag?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

datajugend posted:

Wanna get hitched?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Admiral Ray posted:

What about a single giant hot pocket? Like a hot pocket the size of a sleeping bag?
with cold spots big enough to sleep in!

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

if you really loved me, you would buy me a diamond that someone lost an arm for.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Love is about sacrifice. Sometimes an Angolan’s.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
What a shallow loving moron. It won't stop at a pointlessly expensive engagement ring. I wonder what she'd say if he demanded a wedding band that cost twenty five freaking thousand dollars.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

Barudak posted:

Isnt that just one hot pocket?

the finger is massive

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Barudak posted:

Dude makes 80k and she wants a 15-20k diamond. Dumping her is a moral imperative.

Isn't three months salary the bullshit rule of thumb of how much to spend on a ring?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Imagine being so materialistic that you'd want to buy a $25k engagement ring instead of wisely investing your money in bitcoin, what a piece of poo poo.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

blarzgh posted:

I've identified the problem.

I'm an engineer and my wife would have loving dumped the poo poo out of me if I blew $20,000 on a ring, good lord.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Doc Hawkins posted:

Isn't three months salary the bullshit rule of thumb of how much to spend on a ring?
Is this pre- or post-tax? What deductions are valid? Include capital gains? Does it change with the new tax bill???

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The three months salary rule is really useful. Dump anyone who invokes it, they're bad.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Is this pre- or post-tax? What deductions are valid? Include capital gains? Does it change with the new tax bill???

As with tithing, it's gross, not net.

...Huh. Three months salary is 2.5 times more than a traditional 10% tithe. Mammon-worship is a hell of a drug.

The_end
May 17, 2014

Doc Hawkins posted:

For three months salary i can fly to Thailand and buy a more grateful wife.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

As with tithing, it's gross

Pre-emptive "You can say that again".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only thing in life you should calculate based on gross are points on the back end

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

I'm an engineer and my wife would have loving dumped the poo poo out of me if I blew $20,000 on a ring, good lord.

Like I'm never going to be super judgy of the things people want to spend their money on cuz I think everybody should be able to do whatever they want, but if he's made it to the engagement process of this relationship without ever figuring out that is potential wife is some kind of gold digging passive-aggressive harpy, and furthermore he still incapable of having a conversation with her about his expectations for what a wedding ring should cost that, he has to turn to Reddit without ever informing her that he has a problem, asking if he should dump her, I'm going to call that him "being an engineer."

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Marrying a poor: I highly recommend it. Our lovely little house is a castle to her.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

blarzgh posted:

Like I'm never going to be super judgy of the things people want to spend their money on cuz I think everybody should be able to do whatever they want, but if he's made it to the engagement process of this relationship without ever figuring out that is potential wife is some kind of gold digging passive-aggressive harpy, and furthermore he still incapable of having a conversation with her about his expectations for what a wedding ring should cost that, he has to turn to Reddit without ever informing her that he has a problem, asking if he should dump her, I'm going to call that him "being an engineer."

I love that his reaction is 'so do I dump her?' He should just buy a synthetic/lab created diamond (how do they do that anyway, use technology to super-compress coal?) and if she freaks out, hold onto the receipt and just dump her then.

I think we were chatting about it in the 'really cheap people' thread about how De Beers suckered everyone in with their insane marketing campaign when they realized 'well, gently caress. We gotta move this assload of diamonds! Nobody's buying them!'

That 3-month salary concept is bullshit though, but also impressively successful marketing.

Admiral Ray posted:

Could I come snuggle with you in the giant hot pocket?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

TheScott2K posted:

Marrying a poor: I highly recommend it. Our lovely little house is a castle to her.

Realizing everything is only worth as much as you love it makes you the wealthiest person in the world.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Realizing everything is only worth as much as you love it makes you the wealthiest person in the world*.

*Statement not based on facts or evidence

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
except on the 1st of the month.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

LadyPictureShow posted:

I love that his reaction is 'so do I dump her?' He should just buy a synthetic/lab created diamond (how do they do that anyway, use technology to super-compress coal?) and if she freaks out, hold onto the receipt and just dump her then.

I think we were chatting about it in the 'really cheap people' thread about how De Beers suckered everyone in with their insane marketing campaign when they realized 'well, gently caress. We gotta move this assload of diamonds! Nobody's buying them!'

That 3-month salary concept is bullshit though, but also impressively successful marketing.

there are a couple of processes, but yes the oldest and most basic one basically uses huge presses to do exactly that (I think most for commercial sale are actually grown using chemical vapor deposition though)

however he definitely shouldn't just go out and buy her a lab created diamond, since (if it's actually a diamond) it's still going to be pretty similar in price to buying a natural one- there's generally a discount, but it's maybe on the order of 10-30%, not an order of magnitude or more

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 7, 2017

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

*Statement not based on facts or evidence

Boop beep

Barudak
May 7, 2007

blarzgh posted:

Boop beep

Excuse me sir but it is a matter of public record that I zip when I move, bop when I stop, and whir when I stand still.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Lab diamonds can often cost more depending on grades.

But > $20k for a stone is crazy. Either that’s a monster diamond or he’s shopping at rip-off retail joints. You can get a huge real diamond set on a nice band for < $5k.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

cowofwar posted:

But > $20k for a stone is crazy. Either that’s a monster diamond or he’s shopping at rip-off retail joints. You can get a huge real diamond set on a nice band for < $5k.

I don't think he or she have actually been shopping anywhere, from what he's written I'm pretty sure it's just about making him spend the amount of money she arbitrarily decided was sufficient for her engagement ring, and I'd be surprised if she had a firm idea of what that translates into rock-wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

cowofwar posted:

Huh, I had no idea lab diamonds could be just as pricey. I know they have that 4 Cs rating system, color, cut, clarity, and whatever #4 is. I'm wondering if she's dead-set on a Tiffany & Co. ring or something, because those bastards are ridiculously pricey (I guess because you're paying for the 'brand').

I wear six rings with mostly tiny diamond chips, one has a decently sized one, but they were almost all inherited, so I admittedly know poo poo about the price point of diamonds. I wonder how many dudes are suckered into paying extra because it's not just any old ring it's an engagement ring.