Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

That's some Goldblum Fly-level body horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

the drinking game for this episode is to drink every time they say something that betrays a complete misunderstanding of biology

If someone is confused about this statement or secretly a creationist let me just tell you right now: Evolution cannot be directly observed during a single creature's lifetime. It takes generations, no pun intended. As far as I can recall the most advanced species we have directly observed it in were fruitflies.

Also there is no such thing as devolution occuring in the natural world. It is not applicable to any situation aside from states of government or mood.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh gently caress yes I can't wait to see primitive Worf

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Jeb! Repetition posted:

That's some Goldblum Fly-level body horror.

im almost positive they won an award for the make up in this episode

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I don't care if the science makes no sense if the episode is as scary-cool as this one. Worf scared the gently caress out of me when I saw this as a kid.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

MorgaineDax posted:

I don't care if the science makes no sense if the episode is as scary-cool as this one. Worf scared the gently caress out of me when I saw this as a kid.

He scared me pretty good as an adult. Stewart's acting and the way Picard had prey instincts helped too.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I mean, they’re jetting around the galaxy at speeds much faster than c, violating causality every mission. I’m ok with nonsense non-science for the sake of entertainment. I’m not watching for educational reasons.

But yeah, “devolving” isn’t even a thing. Evolution is change over time. Even if we ended up being salamanders in our future, it’s not “de-evolution”. It’s just evolution.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Another entertaining episode even though the science was offensive and Troi bathes with her clothes on.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Another entertaining episode even though the science was offensive and Troi bathes with her clothes on.

I think maybe that was Sirtis establishing how much bullshit she will put up with.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

dont even fink about it posted:

I think maybe that was Sirtis establishing how much bullshit she will put up with.

Which is good on her but the scene actually would have been way more effective if Horny Worf had found her naked. I'm guessing it's what they originally intended.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I really love Genesis... It's one of those rare episodes that can actually be improved by re-watching and knowing what's going to come. All the subtle gestures of the actors (Nurse Ogowa walking like a chimp; Barclay being manic and moving around the room with his arms, etc.) in the first half is just so much fun!

It's also amazing to think that an extremely routine medical procedure done on one guy could have potentially taken out the entire crew of the Federation flag ship. Well done, Star Fleet!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

ashpanash posted:

I mean, they’re jetting around the galaxy at speeds much faster than c, violating causality every mission. I’m ok with nonsense non-science for the sake of entertainment. I’m not watching for educational reasons.

But yeah, “devolving” isn’t even a thing. Evolution is change over time. Even if we ended up being salamanders in our future, it’s not “de-evolution”. It’s just evolution.

Oh, sure. I wouldn't even bother mentioning it, since it is just entertainment and all, but it is such a regular mistake it might need pointing out if people are genuinely confused.

Evolution is neither a path down a straight line nor does it have any kind of intent or is destined to create more "advanced" life forms. Heck lots of creatures on Earth are more advanced genetically than humans.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Dunno why I'm singling this out when there's so much but no, cats have no iguana ancestors

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Spider Barclay

Great two posts.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I’m guessing in the 24th century, humans will be like “um, did you know I’m actually 1/16th horror spider beast” :smug: like how people are today with supposed native american ancestry.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Even if you don’t know how evolution works it has got to be bonkers to believe that different individual people evolved separately from different ancestor animals

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Imagine if the federation didn't have any ethics and weaponize even half the weird poo poo they've come across. An airborne de-evolving weapon that rapidly spreads and turns the population into monsters?? Jesus christ.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The way the gills/sacs move as she breathes is loving gross
I don't like this Froppy cosplay.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Dunno why I'm singling this out when there's so much but no, cats have no iguana ancestors
I'm willing to give the TNG crew this one, just because you can't exactly call the San Diego Zoo and ask them to rustle up a cynodont for a shoot.

MorgaineDax posted:

Spider Barclay scares me now. The only that helps is remembering SFDebris' discussion of how Barclay's transformation is the most scientifically bullshit part of this episode. (Long story short, humans and spiders are so far apart biologically that in order to become one, Barclay would have had to devolve into the hypothetical first animal that exhibited bilateral symmetry, then evolve back into a spider.)

Yeesh. Looking at this episode now, I can't decide if it's the sort of thing that would give a kid a transformation fetish or scare them off for good.

Marshal Radisic fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 7, 2017

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

It's absolutely bullshit but it's the fun kind of bullshit, like Edgar Rice Burroughs Martians. Sometimes you gotta just let your hair down. If anything their mistake was trying too hard to ground it in plausible science, it should've been something completely off the wall like an alien DNA-swapping virus or something.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 7, 2017

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Jeb! on the best episode :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Basal amniotes may have looked vaguely oh gently caress it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah and humans have no arthropod ancestors either. If they wanted to de-evolve Barclay he should have turned into a wormy thing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I wouldn’t be surprised if this episode just started out as Michael Westmore groaning about how bored he was applying forehead bumps.

Brannon Braga: “I’ll show you !!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Barclay is one sixty-fourth Aracnanian.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Data Graham posted:

Even if you don’t know how evolution works it has got to be bonkers to believe that different individual people evolved separately from different ancestor animals

I don't think that's what they were implying. I think they meant different people were ending turning into species from various points in their species history. Like Riker got off light with caveman from like a million years back but Picard got hosed with lemur-thing from the last common ancestor of all primates.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Sash! posted:

I don't think that's what they were implying. I think they meant different people were ending turning into species from various points in their species history. Like Riker got off light with caveman from like a million years back but Picard got hosed with lemur-thing from the last common ancestor of all primates.

And Spider Barclay? Is he descended from Peter Parker or something?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The devolution episode is lit, cat iguanas rule!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

WampaLord posted:

*Morbo voice* DNA DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY! GOODNIGHT!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It would have been pretty baller if they glued some extra toes on an iguana and gave it a big flat headpiece like it had turned into an early tetrapod. Things had like, a zillion fuckin toes. Like 13 on each foot. Look it up.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I just wish there'd been the CGI tech or cultural awareness to make spot devolve into a gorgonopsid.

Arglebargle III posted:

It would have been pretty baller if they glued some extra toes on an iguana and gave it a big flat headpiece like it had turned into an early tetrapod. Things had like, a zillion fuckin toes. Like 13 on each foot. Look it up.

I don't think any that would be comfortable on a dry floor or pass for an Iguana had more than 6 though.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Jeb! Repetition posted:

He scared me pretty good as an adult. Stewart's acting and the way Picard had prey instincts helped too.

I always thought it a little funny that they diagnosed Picard as turning into a prey animal because he got frightened by all the crew monsters; my remark was "He's scared by the creepy mutants? No loving poo poo, this must be unusual behavior for a human!!!".

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

evilmiera posted:

Oh, sure. I wouldn't even bother mentioning it, since it is just entertainment and all, but it is such a regular mistake it might need pointing out if people are genuinely confused.

Evolution is neither a path down a straight line nor does it have any kind of intent or is destined to create more "advanced" life forms. Heck lots of creatures on Earth are more advanced genetically than humans.

What do you even mean by "advanced" in this context, then.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Can you actually put prosthetics on animals? I thought that the ASPCA and the Humane Society put their foot down on that in the '50s after stories came out about productions abusing reptiles by gluing things to their bodies so they'd look like dinosaurs.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Jeb! Repetition posted:

You sure about that?

Minor Star Trek Insurrection spoiler:

Marshal Radisic posted:

Can you actually put prosthetics on animals? I thought that the ASPCA and the Humane Society put their foot down on that in the '50s after stories came out about productions abusing reptiles by gluing things to their bodies so they'd look like dinosaurs.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Doggles posted:

You sure about that?

Minor Star Trek Insurrection spoiler:

I think that's like a dog sweater and the stuff is attached to the sweater

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I think that's like a dog sweater and the stuff is attached to the sweater

So make some multi-toed iguana socks.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I can't stop looking at that little rectangular panel way at the top of the bridge. Someone thought to put that there, what is it for? Does anyone know? I must know this

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That’s the moonroof control

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm gettin real tired of Voyager writers not giving a gently caress about their own show.

When we found out that 7 of 9's parents got a grant from the Federation Science Academy or whatever to study the Borg when she was 12 I thought it was weird because she's like 30 and the Feds have only known about the Borg for about 7 years, but then I remembered she talked about being put in a Borg maturation chamber so I figured it ages you up real fast and she was like only in there for a year or something and came out a fully-formed adult. But nope, just watched Collective and they confirm she was in that maturation chamber for 5 years and was a drone for 18 years, so I guess Picard & crew were just real stupid or something and didn't pay any attention to the news and that's why they'd never heard of the Borg in Q Who.

And then the next episode Ashes to Ashes a crewmember that we've never seen comes back from the dead* and we find out she was Harry's best friend for the first 3 seasons but somehow it never came up. And he says he was always in love with her but gave up any hope of being together when they were assigned to the same starship as coworkers. Except no, we already know that Harry had moved on from her before he got his assignment because he was engaged to someone else that he'd been dating his final year of the academy.

Eh whatever gently caress it if they don't care I don't care.

(*And this is the second crewmember we've never seen who the show told us was secretly a main character's friend but died sometime back again offscreen (the other was the doctor's friend whom he let die to save Harry and the ethical dilemma broke his program until Janeway erased his memory of the event). I wish the writers had planned things like this out better, like introduced those characters and let us get to know them so there'd be more emotional impact when they come up in these stories.)

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Borg continuity's been a mess since their very first appearance when Q claimed they had no knowledge of the Federation, even though they were clearly supposed to have been behind the attacks on the Neutral Zone outposts a year prior.

I figure, they've got time travel, you can't expect their history to make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Good point, maybe Voyager takes place in the First Contact timeline where United Earth found out about the Borg in Archer's time.

Still I'm less annoyed about continuity with other series than continuity problems within Voyager itself like them making a huge deal about Harry's undying love for his fiancee and then suddenly "who? nah he was carrying a torch for this new girl who has totally always been here the entire time". Also looking up reviews of Ashes to Ashes to see what other people have said about it, apparently Ensign Ballard was killed by Hirogen over a year before Voyager ever encountered them so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯