Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Can't wait to get +5% culture and science in cities with a governer. Exciting stuff.

a dark age falls on your kingdom...
-valeria maximus corvus (+12% culture and science) is succeeded by chris christie (-10% culture, science, loyalty)
-kong fu xi (+17% culture and science) is succeeded by linda lingle (city converts to barbarian team. retake and hold this city by the renaissance era to enter a heroic age)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's kind of amazing they put the Gears of War active reload system in this game's diplomacy by accident.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I don't think there's a lot of overlap of those two player bases, care to explain the reference?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Serephina posted:

I don't think there's a lot of overlap of those two player bases, care to explain the reference?

You have to click at a very precise timing to get a good reload in gears of war. I assume the reference to Civ is that you need to time the second ESC perfectly to minimize the amount of time spent on the leader screen. But you can click with your mouse where the dismiss button appears before it appears to close the window as fast.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Krazyface posted:

It's kind of amazing they put the Gears of War active reload system in this game's diplomacy by accident.

lmao

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Yea the constant turn leader spam is a trash design decision. I honestly can't thing of a single thing Civ6 does well. The closet would be the concept of districts, but even that doesn't have a good implementation.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Yea the constant turn leader spam is a trash design decision. I honestly can't thing of a single thing Civ6 does well. The closet would be the concept of districts, but even that doesn't have a good implementation.

The city-building part of it is miles ahead of what Civ V attempted. It also doesn't bother with the tall vs. wide trash. I had a fair amount of fun with VI early on, bugs and weird balance issues aside.

Actually pretty much every part of it is better than V except for possibly the interface. So I consider it a step in the right direction, for the most part.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 6, 2017

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I just played a multiplayer Civ game with my friend and hummmm, I'm not so sure I can go back to Civ5+Xps once the first expansion hits. Sure, the mods on 4/5 are stellar but once again I confirm that Vainilla 5 vs Vainilla 6 is a no contest, 6 just blows it out of the water. It's amazing how people complain about "waaaaa numbers on a civ are boring" and unmodded policies on Civ5 are almost all like that.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

turboraton posted:

It's amazing how people complain about "waaaaa numbers on a civ are boring" and unmodded policies on Civ5 are almost all like that.

Well that's not really a fair comparison; you'd have to compare civ uniques to civ uniques and social policies to policy cards.

But yeah, Civ 6 is no worse than Civ 5 when it comes to Civ uniques, though Civ 5 shows a pretty strong hand when you look at just DLC or Expac civs (which do tend to be a bit more interesting).

For instance these all have a lot more than just a yield change:

Assyria (BNW) - free tech when nicking a city
Austria (G&K) - absorption of city states
Byzantine (G&K) - extra belief
Carthaginian (G&K) - units cross mountains
Hunnic (G&K) - start with a tech
Indonesian (BNW) - get unique luxuries with overseas cities
Mayan (G&K) - that calendar thing

But then you have a few boring ones:

Brazil (G&K) - amplified tourism and great person stuff
Celtic (G&K) - amplified faith from tiles
Dutch (G&K) - amplified happiness (though in a rather special way)
Ethiopian (G&K) - combat bonus (though in special circumstances)

I can't be bothered to do the whole list but there's about 50/50 boring/interesting from the Expacs, I'd say, probably more interesting ones all told if you take some of the units or improvements into account. Like Pathfinders who get to choose their own ruin/goody-hut bonus, or the Feitoria that you build in a city-state. Then there's Venice that's in a league of its own.

In comparison, this Civ 6 Korea is pretty dull, but hopefully the others are gonna be better.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I kinda like their campus where it's good to put improvements next to them rather than stack districts together as normal, but yeah overall it's not terribly exciting. Will likely make warmongering as them something of a pain if you're capturing developed cities.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's so weird that they made it so that they totally can have multiple leaders for one civ in Civ 6, and then did it once for Greece, and then like, never again.

The announcement for the expansions said

quote:

nine new leaders and eight new civilizations

so I guess they're planning to do it at least one more time. :confuoot:

e: It was always deeply confusing to me that the Celts were a religious nation.

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Dec 6, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A good post about civ5's civs and the nature of boring/good, and no doubt the more mechanically interesting ones are better designed, but I think the Celt and Etheopia get a shout out for their super boring +1 faith mechanic being absolute douchebags to deal with. If someone has a pantheon before turn6, it's Boudicea hiding in the woods, with Hale in second place, making every other civ have to scrounge 30+ faith for their lovely pantheon belief. It'd be better if they had more interesting mechanics for sure, but this is probably the best-case scenario of a numerical bonus having game-shaking effects (early. and then they become irrelevant -_-)

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
My only worry about the expansion is that this will probably replace "Dream of Flight" as title theme, and that is the true tragedy.

Unless Christopher TIn composes the new title theme.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I never got Civ VI, but I thought the soundtrack previews were very good. Is that the case in the game? If so, hopefully the new civs have that same level of quality.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
loving civ6 soundtrack is BOSS, can't wait for the Inca themes.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

berryjon posted:

My only worry about the expansion is that this will probably replace "Dream of Flight" as title theme, and that is the true tragedy.

Unless Christopher TIn composes the new title theme.

I have never gotten over losing the G&K theme to the BNW one.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Bring back Boudica! She was my favorite Civ 5 civ, loved the leader animations for her.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
in CIV 4 you could change the title screen to any of the previous versions

and by that I mean, to Baba Yetu

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Raserys posted:

in CIV 4 you could change the title screen to any of the previous versions

Quoting this to say it's correct and it not just being a "Civ 4 just does everything people seem to want in later Civ games"

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I hope they add some gimmick-y civ like Venice. Probably the most fun I had in Civ5.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Civ4 Pericles > Civ6 Pericles

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Echo Chamber posted:

Civ4 Pericles > Civ6 Pericles

Pericles was the 2nd best Civ 4 leader, after Willem.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That's a weird way to spell Huayna Capac

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

that list is wrong but i still love it

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Chucat posted:

Quoting this to say it's correct and it not just being a "Civ 4 just does everything people seem to want in later Civ games"

Almost as if it does...

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Prav posted:

that list is wrong but i still love it

thats like the worst tier list i've ever seen

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Borsche69 posted:

thats like the worst tier list i've ever seen

Would you say it's a... Saladin tier tier list

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Raserys posted:

Almost as if it does...

I know it does but I can't have every post I make in the Civ 6 thread just be about how great Civ 4 is.

wtf

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I mean it's got Financial at the very top which is correct. Also Protective at the bottom.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Yeah but then the fact Spiritual is right there as well is just mind boggling.

Disclaimer: I've been playing RtR a ton so I'm smushing trait...traits together in my head.

Chucat fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 7, 2017

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I always liked creative because it's nice to get that early culture without having to worry about monuments or whatever.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

That's a weird way to spell Huayna Capac

I just won a game on Emperor where I Quechua rushed Fredrick and took his capital before turn 20. His other starting archers were off exploring so 3 Quechua's was enough to wipe him out.

TL;DR, Huayna is one of the best civs. Also the Terrace being a combination Monument+granary is so loving good.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Dec 7, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Chucat posted:

Oh yeah to clarify I was more or less saying those placements were basically the only ones I can call 100% correct

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Magil Zeal posted:

Oh yeah to clarify I was more or less saying those placements were basically the only ones I can call 100% correct

Protective belongs there as well. Without going full on list mode, Financial/organized is certainly at the top while protective/spiritual is certainly at the bottom.

Yes I know there are some gimmicks you can do with protective, but generally it's a weak defensive trait, which loses out to the more economic/offensive traits.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Protective belongs there as well. Without going full on list mode, Financial/organized is certainly at the top while protective/spiritual is certainly at the bottom.

Yes I know there are some gimmicks you can do with protective, but generally it's a weak defensive trait, which loses out to the more economic/offensive traits.

Yes, I was saying Financial belongs at the top and Protective belongs at the bottom.

Spiritual on the other hand is pretty good if you can use it right, though it requires a lot of min-maxing to do it. Like okay I'm going to use Slavery/Organized Religion to whip out infrastructure and then switch to Caste System/Pacifism to bang out a quick great scientist while I wait for the happiness penalty to decay. I don't think it's bottom-tier by any means.

Organized is super dependent on map settings.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
FIN top and PRO bottom are definitely right, but just about everything else on that list is wildly out of place. The people at Realms Beyond have been playing Civ IV multiplayer for over a decade; a representative point-buy selection method used the values:

code:
5 points to spend

4: FIN
3: EXP, CRE, India, Inca
2: SPI, IND, ORG
1: IMP, PHI, Agriculture Civs
0: CHM, AGG, All other civs
-1: PRO

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i can't for the life of me get good value out of PHI. like i get the idea behind it but it's just not my thing and it calls for a different approach than i have.

plus you have to know bulb priorities and not listing those is one of 4's genuine flaws.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chucat posted:

no i can totally see how great spiritual can be. i limit my civic changes to as few times as possible because the anarchy really blows, but if i could, i'd be microing the poo poo out of that all the time. and temples are so good in civ 4! you have to take an entire civic tree to make them good in civ 5 :v:

Fintilgin posted:

I always liked creative because it's nice to get that early culture without having to worry about monuments or whatever.
it's a game-changer depending on your playstyle. if we play anything alike, to you, having cultural means that you can plan your city placement around what's in the fat cross rather than needing to rely on the 3x3 you start in to rush out a monument or a library.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

REL is the best trait and Paul Maud'dib (REL/CHM) is the best leader without going unrestricted

The White Dragon posted:

and temples are so good in civ 4!

temples kinda suck unless you're SPI. but at half price they're real nice.