Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Don't they have 'always store upright' written on them in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Like endurance races? That's pretty cool actually

Yup, I think someone cheated last year and used three donor scooters. :v:

Slavvy posted:

Are you referring to the whenuipai races Odette?

Parents live in Whangamata, so I think it's a Coromandel thing.

alr
May 14, 2009
I have a 2015 Yamaha R3 ABS, and want to bleed the brakes myself. I've done it on a non-ABS Ninja 250 before. Is there anything special I would need to do for the ABS system? I know on linked brakes systems on certain Harley and Honda bikes it needs a tool plugged into the electrical system to force the ABS unit to cycle, would I be able to bleed these like normal, go for a ride and force the ABS to engage a few times to circulate its old fluid around, then re-bleed?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Odette posted:

Yup, I think someone cheated last year and used three donor scooters. :v:

What kind of endurance are we talking about, exactly? I'd hope that a scooter engine would last at least a few dozen hours of high-throttle use, but even a full 24 hours of endurance racing is really challenging to organize. Do scooters just blow up a lot more frequently than I imagine?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tiny two stroke engines are really strained by continued full throttle running, they wind up starving themselves of lubrication. They are happiest at varied rpm’s like you would see on the street.

Street riding for 24 hours straight would be far easier on a scooter motor (obviously as many scooters do hundreds or thousands of hours on the stock bore on the street).

Scavenging is a bitch. Of course there are ways around this, as two strokes were raced professionally at all levels for decades. Those things tend not to be built into your average Honda spree though.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 6, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fwiw the last time I attended such an event the 4t gy6 bikes fell over dead first, mostly followed by Korean stuff. The longest lasting seemed to be the 2t Yamaha and Suzuki or derivations thereof. Only one guy had the sack to bring a Vespa and he did ok.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How does a 2-stroke starve itself of lubrication? Can't you increase the premix a bit?

Is it just that the constant higher temperatures end up burning off the oil before it does any good, or what?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I was under the impression that steady running is better for 2 stroke due to the oiling being dependent upon opening the throttle. So if you're closing it on a premixed engine, you're closing off the lubrication feed too. Less an issue on models with an injection pump because that runs at engine speed.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I remember Suzukis being regarded as the most reliable self-oiling two strokes (funny enough, what with that recent opinion in the other thread).

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All scavenging cycles have natural dead spots where oil either pools or doesn’t hit at different rpm’s. Varying the rpm’s in street riding scenarios negates those problems. Holding an engine wide open exacerbates them.

Adding oil makes the bike run lean, which is also not good for longevity. Adding fuel to compensate just makes the problem worse but different

Race two strokes at built with crank cases specifically designed to scavenge well at sustained high rpm’s. Which is coincidentally why they also tend to run like poo poo below 5 grand.

Of course there are motors that naturally stand up to this better than others but in general you should assume it’s iffy to hold a two stroke at any certain rpm for a long time.

Caveats of course for things like the GT750 that were built for slabbing. Scooters though, usually aren’t.

Slide Hammer posted:

I remember Suzukis being regarded as the most reliable self-oiling two strokes (funny enough, what with that recent opinion in the other thread).

They are, by far. Other manufacturers eventually caught up by the late 70’s, but in general if you want a 70’s two stroke and you want to rely on it, you should get a Suzuki. The CCI system was worlds beyond what the other big 3 were doing.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Dec 7, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Huh. What about my 2-stroke 10hp outboard motor, which seems to do a perfectly fine job running at full throttle 100% of the time it's on year after year? I suppose Mercury just knew that that's how people use boat motors, and built it to do that?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slide Hammer posted:

Yeah the RGV is a cut above the other 2t minigp twins because of having a dedicated oil pump. Also suzukis aren't poo poo and nobody in the other thread, including me, really said that. It's one of those things goons tend to tilt at windmills about.

Sagebrush posted:

Huh. What about my 2-stroke 10hp outboard motor, which seems to do a perfectly fine job running at full throttle 100% of the time it's on year after year? I suppose Mercury just knew that that's how people use boat motors, and built it to do that?

Your outboard is designed to run at one RPM all the time which is a fuckload easier than designing something that runs at a variety of revs and loads that constantly change.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

What kind of endurance are we talking about, exactly? I'd hope that a scooter engine would last at least a few dozen hours of high-throttle use, but even a full 24 hours of endurance racing is really challenging to organize. Do scooters just blow up a lot more frequently than I imagine?

Most of these scooters are lovely secondhand ones. The participants basically trawl TradeMe (local Craigslist) for the cheapest nastiest whorish scooters that they can find and use them until they break.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Yes, that’s exactly what they did

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Kind of a random question, for a “supermoto” conversion, I see premade kits and stuff with wheels and bigger disks and stuff like that, but isn’t there more to it? Like doesn’t the handling change by going to a smaller diameter front wheel, and do you have to compensate for that? and don’t you need some hub upgrades on the rear wheel?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Sumo conversions will involve a set of wheels+hubs and tires, usually a new 320mm front rotor and either a caliper bracket or a bracket and new caliper if you want to go radial mount. Springing for a cush hub in the rear is usually a good idea but not 100% necessary. You'll need a new rear sprocket and possibly a front sprocket and chain to go with it. If your donor bike isn't an enduro you'll need lights, signals, mirrors, etc. too. You might also want to put a Vapor or some other speedo/odo on it, and a keyed ignition.

This is why I laughed when I asked the Yamaha rep if the mothership would ever bring another factory sumo to the US and he told me to just convert a WR450. By the time you spring for a nice wheel set, tires, etc. on top of a new WR450 you might as well go buy a 701.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 8, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

Kind of a random question, for a “supermoto” conversion, I see premade kits and stuff with wheels and bigger disks and stuff like that, but isn’t there more to it? Like doesn’t the handling change by going to a smaller diameter front wheel, and do you have to compensate for that? and don’t you need some hub upgrades on the rear wheel?

It changes in a good way. What do you mean by hub upgrades?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Slavvy posted:

It changes in a good way. What do you mean by hub upgrades?

the cush drive thing, it's my understanding that dirt bikes don't come with that but you could gently caress up *something* without one

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Who knew I can't read. Yeah it can chew up the output shaft splines on some bikes depending on how you ride.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It does change the geometry, in general it shortens the wheelbase, and steepens the rake.

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007
Im doing a sumo conversion on my WR250R. Haven’t bought wheels yet. Should I spring for the cush drive? My research says that because it’s a relatively low HP bike, that it’s not needed.

Are the floating/bigger calipers that much better?

I’m going to a bigger tear sprocket as well.

Likely going with some warp9 rims unless I can find a wr250x set of wheels

Do I need to do anything to the suspension? Guessing if I’m opting to do more street riding I’d want to stiffen it a bit.

Goal is to have a bike I can swap from Supermoto to enduro and back easily. I’m a newb at both those styles of riding, but really love this WR and how quickly I’m learning on it and how much fun it is.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

Im doing a sumo conversion on my WR250R. Haven’t bought wheels yet. Should I spring for the cush drive? My research says that because it’s a relatively low HP bike, that it’s not needed.

Do I need to do anything to the suspension? Guessing if I’m opting to do more street riding I’d want to stiffen it a bit.

Goal is to have a bike I can swap from Supermoto to enduro and back easily. I’m a newb at both those styles of riding, but really love this WR and how quickly I’m learning on it and how much fun it is.

If you’re going to keep it for a long time then I’d get the Cush hub. Otherwise, not. Fwiw, I think the risk is really when you’re talking about bikes like a ktm 500 where it’ll start getting hard on the trans if you don’t have one.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Rode my bike to work and it's snowing, for like the fourth time in my life. Tips? I can do 30 on back roads.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

Rode my bike to work and it's snowing, for like the fourth time in my life. Tips? I can do 30 on back roads.

Same sort of stuff as driving in snow/ice - give yourself more room to slow down and stop, go easier on the brakes (especially the front), keep yourself as upright as possible in turns, when you stop do what you can to put your foot down on a dry spot if possible. Snow/slush isn't TOO horrible to ride in but ice patches can ruin your day

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jack B Nimble posted:

Go home now.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

My boss just insisted on that. My first time missing work in 4 years. They insisted. I'll let you all know if I die.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I rid in the snow before. It was not that different from riding in the rain.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Is it accumulating? -> no -> it's like rain
|
V
Yes
|
V
It's a little more dangerous than rain

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I got my rear wheel stuck in an ice pocket in a gutter last winter, just revving and spinning while people watched and didn't help. That's my only noteworthy riding in the snow story.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah, having done it now the rain comparison is apt. Worst thing about it is that it's wet and about thirty degrees out.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

Having trail ridden in the ice and snow with regular off road tires and knowing the feeling that follows the complete lack of warning of loss of traction in both tires I don't feel comfortable riding a street bike in below freezing temps.

tjones
May 13, 2005

GriszledMelkaba posted:

Having trail ridden in the ice and snow with regular off road tires and knowing the feeling that follows the complete lack of warning of loss of traction in both tires I don't feel comfortable riding a street bike in below freezing temps.

Pretty much this for me. It's all good and fun until it isn't and theres usually zero warning. (Ive only ate poo poo on offroad during freezing weather, onroad is where I draw the line)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

AuxiliaryPatroller posted:

If your sprocket sizes are different enough you might need a different chain.

I had a DRZSM with both sets of wheels, it was a pain in the rear end to swap wheels.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I rode in the snow on purpose on my rv90, it was hilarious. I realize this does not help you.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

What cheap trailers are out there similar to the Harbor Freight folding ones? I need something for one bike and under $1000 to tow with my Focus. I would just get the HF one, but I guess they aren't selling them right now.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Deeters posted:

What cheap trailers are out there similar to the Harbor Freight folding ones? I need something for one bike and under $1000 to tow with my Focus. I would just get the HF one, but I guess they aren't selling them right now.

Have you checked ADV for sale? They usually have folks selling trailers.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
What do you guys like for getting dirt/crud/light surface rust off old parts? I picked up a box of cheap spares on Gumtree to sock away for when I finally find the CT/XL125 to fix up that I'm after. Mostly it is electrical stuff (plus one carbie) so there's not a bunch of oil and whatnot on them, but they were clearly pulled off a bike that was being ridden and then kept in someone's shed for a number of years.

I've also got a mirror that's heavily pitted on the outside (reflective surface itself is fine), I am guessing I should just sand it down and rattlecan it flat black.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

I used water and aluminum foil. Worked wonders with the rusty front fender of my GN 125. Although, keep in mind that when chrome pits, the pits will still be there when you rub away the rust. Little black marks/holes. Aluminum foil will also scratch chrome lightly... might want to take very fine grit sandpaper to it afterward.

I think the story of aluminum foil chemically reacting with rust to create an oxide on the surface of chrome it rubs is bogus, because aluminum foil is covered in a thin layer of wax. But that's just my intuition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm partial to scotchbrite pads (hand ones, like for your sink) + WD40. Works wonders on fork stanchions without scuffing them.