Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

BrianWilly posted:

Marvel TV shows have pretty consistently had really amazing villains. From what I hear about it, even Iron Fist kinda impressed on that front.

Meachum's kids are more interesting than he is, at least.

Also, Madame Gao, simply by virtue of being Madame Gao.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Justin Hammer, best marvel villain

I know Iron Man 2 is the easiest Marvel movie to dunk on, but I legitimately enjoyed him. He's not got a lot of substance, but he's fun and entertaining at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

fruit on the bottom posted:

Justin Hammer, best marvel villain

From all the points brought up so far Justin Hammer is the guy who checks off all the boxes of "Wasted Actor" "Doesn't Do A Lot" "Is a Joke" and "The Good Guy but Bad."

Same for the other guy in the film - Ivan? poo poo I think Iron Man 2 could have given Marvel this reputation alone.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
That’s all fair, but I did find him entertaining. To what degree that was due to Sam Rockwell elevating otherwise forgettable material I couldn’t say but I suspect that was most of it.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

... I mean, what else are you going to do with Justin Hammer? The actor played exactly what was in the character concept to the hilt. Rourke was definitely wasted, but seriously, what else is someone like Justin Hammer going to do than exactly what was on screen? They could make him an older fellow like his comic incarnation but then you'd just be doing Stane again.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

mycot posted:

From all the points brought up so far Justin Hammer is the guy who checks off all the boxes of "Wasted Actor" "Doesn't Do A Lot" "Is a Joke" and "The Good Guy but Bad."

Hey, they brought him back for a homophobic cameo in All Hail the King.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It's partly that they cast great actors and then often don't use them to their full potential. Red Skull is fine but it's really hard to avoid remembering Weaving also played one of the most memorable villains of the past 2 decades.

Plus you can look beyond comic book movies to characters like Hans Landa, Kylo Ren, Anton Chiugh (speaking of actors the MCU underused) and Dolores Umbridge.

Which one was Javier Bardem in?

(Best part of Skyfall in my opinion.)

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ryan Reynolds is next playing a Manga character.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/ryan-reynolds-star-pokemon-movie-detective-pikachu-1065206

Pikachu

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think he’s Iron Man.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I have a few questions.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which one was Javier Bardem in?
gently caress I got him and Benecio Del Toro mixed up.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Sometimes miracles do happen

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Article posted:

The concept of Pokemon, which was initially a card-collecting game as well as an anime, sees players acting as trainers who collect cute but powerful monsters called Pokemon in order to compete in battle tournaments.

This is some weapons grade wrong.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I recently rewatched BvS and it’s still really disappointing! My dream for BvS was just a live action version of World’s Finest from the animated series, it would have been perfect

My main criticism is that MoS doesn’t give Clark any kind of character and makes him this hokey Christ analogy. I think a great modern take of Superman would be exploring him through an immigration anxiety lens

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Carlosologist posted:

I recently rewatched BvS and it’s still really disappointing! My dream for BvS was just a live action version of World’s Finest from the animated series, it would have been perfect

My main criticism is that MoS doesn’t give Clark any kind of character and makes him this hokey Christ analogy. I think a great modern take of Superman would be exploring him through an immigration anxiety lens

Paragraph A: I've got great news for you, World's Finest already exists and you can watch it!

Paragraph B: MoS extremely has large themes of immigration anxiety. Like, multiple super positive reviews I read are from Muslim immigrants or sons of immigrants saying how much they identify with this version of the character.

Just to name one thing off the top of my head, Jonathan telling Clark maybe he shouldn't have interfered with the bus mirrors how undocumented immigrants have to lay low and keep from doing anything that gets attention even if it's the right thing to do because they could get deported if they were found out. Zod is a fundamentalist from the old country while Jor-el is moderate and Kal considered himself American. The US government fears him because of what they know about Zod. Clark starts out extremely migrant because people keep finding out his secret.

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 7, 2017

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Yeah, a live action World's Finest would be dope as hell.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

JT Smiley posted:

Yeah, a live action World's Finest would be dope as hell.

I feel that in terms of worldbuilding, you can insert a Batman mid-career and set up that tension between Clark and Bruce in a more organic way. I understand that a common interpretation was trying to invoke 9/11 type reactions out of the destruction between Zod and Superman, but that feels exploitative and I think there's a better way to put Batman and Superman as opposites that work things out

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

gently caress I got him and Benecio Del Toro mixed up.

RACIST!!!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://deadline.com/2017/12/it-jack-dylan-grazer-shazam-dc-movie-1202221613/

Jack Dylan Grazer has been cast as Freddy Freeman

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Ooh, good choice.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man I can not believe they are making this film. A fuckin Shazam flick!

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Starring some idiot from TV as a character most know for sharing a name with a rival company, minus his only memorable villain (who would have been played by one of the most bankable/likeable actors currently acting), by a studio that has no idea what direction to take these franchises.

Let's face it, that IT kid is the only thing this project has going for it and he's not even playing Billy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is some drat excellent casting

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wait Black Adam isn't the villain in Shazam?

Yeah that movie is done

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
No one knows who black adam is

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

They know who The Rock is, Black Adam's powers are the most thematically coherent counterpoint to Shazam's, and I have zero faith that WB would be competent enough to make a good movie with a villain that isn't either already popular or played by a popular actor.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

They know who The Rock is, Black Adam's powers are the most thematically coherent counterpoint to Shazam's, and I have zero faith that WB would be competent enough to make a good movie with a villain that isn't either already popular or played by a popular actor.

Did you not like Wonder Woman?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Zzulu posted:

No one knows who black adam is

We wouldn't have 90% of modern comic book movies if that was a factor

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
In Happy!, Grant Morrison, Brian Taylor (Crank, Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance), David Petrarca (Boardwalk Empire, True Blood, Jessica Jones, GoT) and SyFy have produced the first prestige TV-era Crank series and it owns hard

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'm glad Black Adam won't be in the first Shazam film. He would probably overshadow much of the narrative, which I want to be more laser-focused on Billy's own story with and his relationship with his uncle and Mary and Freddy and Tawky. And it's not like Shazam is lacking in interesting villains; Dr. Sivana or Mr. Mind are perfectly suitable ones to use for an origin story.

Considering that Snyder is no longer involved in upcoming DCEU, I'm far less concerned about them than I'd been about stuff like BvS and Justice League.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Perfectly cast.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This looks suspiciously like DC trying to make spiderman homecoming. I don't think any of the writers/directors on this have made anything particularly good before either?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well I'm sure they'll try for a Homecoming/MCU sort of tone with this character but, eh, this project has been in development for a long time and of course they were gonna cast Freddy Freeman at some point considering he's an important part of Captain Marvel Shazam lore. I don't think that necessarily means they're ganking ideas from Homecoming or anything; they're literally just casting their own characters.

I suspect that Jack Dylan Grazer originally went in to audition for Billy Batson, along with a ton of other kids around that age, and this is just how the roles ended up being doled out.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Maybe but it seems like it's suddenly a bigger deal now, especially with the split into two movies etc.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

*BSS complains about how Marvel uses too many "the hero but evil" villains*
*BSS complains that Black Adam isn't in the Shazam movie*

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Did you not like Wonder Woman?

David Thewlis isn't The Rock, but I don't think he's exactly some unknown actor either.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Black Adam without 52 isn't interesting.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Endless Mike posted:

*BSS complains about how Marvel uses too many "the hero but evil" villains*
*BSS complains that Black Adam isn't in the Shazam movie*

Exactly what I was thinking. Though, DC does have the best mirror villains. Black Adam, Zod, and Reverse Flash are all pretty great.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

this but unironically

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Does Singer have anything to do with this because I heard he's out at Fox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zoux posted:

Does Singer have anything to do with this because I heard he's out at Fox

Man, who cares about that? I want the hot scoops on Roseanne!

• Locked thread