Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

google's out of nexus 5x's to offer to people with their device protection plan (basically applecare+), so they are generously offering people trying to use it $100 google store credit MINUS the $69 deductible or a $59 check.

nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The Management posted:

I bet Sergey Brin is glad his intern loving was exposed years ago before there was a penalty

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

Microsoft succeeded in their goal of becoming IBM. Google is the new Microsoft.

i dont disagree here but what phase of microsoft are they atm?

like they never really had a "make decent software but utilize monopoly positions to force them on users phase" but they certainly arent to current day "its all insanely broken because gently caress you" microsoft yet

you could convince me that g+ era vic gundotra google was equivalent to ballmer era microsoft but they seem to have gotten past that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

LastInLine posted:

like they never really had a "make decent software but utilize monopoly positions to force them on users phase" but they certainly arent to current day "its all insanely broken because gently caress you" microsoft yet

you could convince me that g+ era vic gundotra google was equivalent to ballmer era microsoft but they seem to have gotten past that

look, it’s not a perfect analogy. they have a big cash cow, ads, like Microsoft had office and windows, which funds all of their other cash wasting operations. they leverage their near monopoly in search and mobile os to squeeze hardware makers and websites. they enter every market because they think they need to compete in everything and at best create a sub-par product that limps along. they have no direction, no real leadership, they’re just coasting on ad money and not making any real progress. more or less they’re Microsoft 2000-2015.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

LastInLine posted:

like they never really had a "make decent software but utilize monopoly positions to force them on users phase"
yeah they did, that’s right now

or are you gonna tell me you search the web using duck duck go in opera :jerkbag:

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it's a terrible analogy as microsoft made their empire largely on making cheap software with free development tools, and providing prodigious levels of backwards compatibility

google beat them on the first two, but everyone caught onto the first two, and google can't conceptualize the third at all because they don't have even entirely non-compatible continuity for any product they make, create and forget~

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

google beat them on the first two,

lol

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

adding “vc6 = good” to dumb shaggarpinions.odt

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
better than anything google ever built

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The Management posted:

more or less they’re Microsoft 2000-2015.

My Linux Rig posted:

yeah they did, that’s right now

honestly thats higher praise than id have expected and i actually like google products and services

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

the new Privacy Phone™ is here. instead of protecting your personal information from theft, it makes all information unreadable for the rest of the world.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

the new Privacy Phone™ is here. instead of protecting your personal information from theft, it makes all information unreadable for the rest of the world.

*note: all personal information is still sent to hq

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

you know we rightly poo poo on dyp here and the android thread in particular but if you want the absolute worst of dyp you really cant beat the cutting cable thread

its got everything the android thread has and more. so much min/maxing along with favorites like convoluted solutions to nonproblems in the search to save $5/month and endless ENDLESS problems with their cobbled together "solution". everyone changes service every few months in search of a working solution to the problem of spending money

i legitimately feel sorry for any spouses or children who have to put up with the mental illness presented itt its like look i know cable or satellite is expensive but if you care this much about tv it works and does so flawlessly just loving pay the money your wife doesnt want to have to try five different platforms to put on the british bake off you rear end

i watch maybe two hours of tv a month and the only thing that thread told me is dont cut cable

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the TV app on  TV basically solves everything. it's a unified interface for like half a dozen (or more?) TV and movie apps. so you can look up a show and chances are it's streamable from somewhere. there's maybe 2 major apps here in canada that combined have most current TV. so you pay 10-15 bucks a month for each and you basically don't need cable anymore.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

you know we rightly poo poo on dyp here and the android thread in particular but if you want the absolute worst of dyp you really cant beat the cutting cable thread

its got everything the android thread has and more. so much min/maxing along with favorites like convoluted solutions to nonproblems in the search to save $5/month and endless ENDLESS problems with their cobbled together "solution". everyone changes service every few months in search of a working solution to the problem of spending money

i legitimately feel sorry for any spouses or children who have to put up with the mental illness presented itt its like look i know cable or satellite is expensive but if you care this much about tv it works and does so flawlessly just loving pay the money your wife doesnt want to have to try five different platforms to put on the british bake off you rear end

i watch maybe two hours of tv a month and the only thing that thread told me is dont cut cable
yeah i follow that thread since i use directv now (has the channels i want for less than the cable package i can get) plus an antenna and people spend way too much effort trying to save like $5. it's p needs-suiting since i don't need any boxes beyond ones i already have anyway.

still, though, the prepaid cell service is that times ten. people loading up on prepaid cards so they can save $1 a month on their plan that offers almost nothing, and switching carriers at the slightest hint of saving another buck

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 6, 2017

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

yeah i was going to say that its like the prepaid thread and the chinese phone thread rolled into one

the thing the cutting cable thread has that those dont are the endless problems that watching tv just shouldnt have i mean yeah you get a chinese pos android that you have to reflash an english rom to and sure it works like poo poo but the crazy stuff they go through with this stick here and it does this but it stutters and this one does this but it buffers and this is my plex server and... what the gently caress dude

i think the thing that makes it the primo dyp thread is the fact that the madness is certainly impacting the rest of the family. id hope most of the prepaid and chinese phone people arent forcing everyone else along their decent into madness

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what does “dyp” stand for?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Achmed Jones posted:

Defend Your Purchase, the primary activity of android users aka "dypers"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Achmed Jones posted:

Deny Your Partner functioning services

this can be read a couple ways

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

LastInLine posted:

have they tried not watching tv

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

LastInLine posted:

why do people over complicate this poo poo

I have a gen 3 Apple TV in the living room with Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube. if the show isn’t there, then there’s Plex, showrss.info and qbittorents RSS feed reader that’s like a one time setup for each show and then it downloads and catalogues automatically.

the Plex poo poo is a little janitory, but with the other services, we almost never use it. that’s been enough to cut the cable cord and never look back

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's just so easy

just set up a personal server in your house and maintain it while creating custom scripts for every cbs sitcom you want to see

i wonder how sheldon will say bazinga this week

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Stymie posted:

it's just so easy

just set up a personal server in your house and maintain it while creating custom scripts for every cbs sitcom you want to see

i wonder how sheldon will say bazinga this week

the point is that they're already janitoring poo poo so why not do it in an easy and effective way

gently caress i quoted stymie

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

My Linux Rig posted:

I have a gen 3 Apple TV in the living room with Hulu, Netflix, and YouTube. if the show isn’t there, then there’s Plex, showrss.info and qbittorents RSS

you lost me

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightbulb Out posted:

the point is that they're already janitoring poo poo so why not do it in an easy and effective way

gently caress i quoted stymie

bazinga

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

then don’t worry about the Plex part, an Apple TV with Hulu and Netflix covers most of the tv shows

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I have been watching Alfred Hitchcock presents on Hulu

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
just go to watchbazingaonlline.biz for your lovely shows

cable. cut. done.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

atomicthumbs posted:

have they tried not watching tv

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

*not* watch tv??? impossible!

bull3964 posted:

Love those infinite blacks, but LG can't do reverse telecine on anything other than 1080i60 inputs. So I need native 24p input if I want proper frame cadence.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Endless Mike posted:

*not* watch tv??? impossible!

that guy needs to get the gently caress off of whatever av nerd forum is breaking his brain like that

(it's dyp)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
heh more like DSYP, am i right?? :xd:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

use plex, its good

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

lol if you dont just use an apple tv and ask it to play stuff. the most i do is airplay live tv from my cable ios app because they of course wont go fully apple tv app for that even though most channels are apps anyway

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

it even all works on my cheapo kindle fire with some wonky default rom

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Is it possible to not update an android?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

HoboMan posted:

Is it possible to not update an android?

the opposite is impossible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

maybe it's my provider, but my phone has been like "ok im installing an os update, gently caress whatever you are doing" twice now