Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I finished watching Patriot, which was pretty great, the other day, but I'm kind of confused about part of the ending. Was Agathe just running off with the money, or what exactly was she planning on doing? I didn't quite get her motivation. Anyway, cool show, I think the prolonged rock-paper-scissors scene was my favorite. Hopefully season 2 will come out relatively soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

So I finished watching Patriot, which was pretty great, the other day, but I'm kind of confused about part of the ending. Was Agathe just running off with the money, or what exactly was she planning on doing? I didn't quite get her motivation. Anyway, cool show, I think the prolonged rock-paper-scissors scene was my favorite. Hopefully season 2 will come out relatively soon.

It'll probably be expanded on in season 2, the short answer is "apparently yes" but you're not crazy to be confused about that because it definitely wasn't clear what her full plan was (like, was she just gonna abandon her daughter?! )

S2 got greenlit way back in March so it should be out early next year.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

precision posted:

It'll probably be expanded on in season 2, the short answer is "apparently yes" but you're not crazy to be confused about that because it definitely wasn't clear what her full plan was (like, was she just gonna abandon her daughter?! )

Ok, I figured that was what happened, but it still seemed kind of weird to me given how the character was portrayed throughout the season. Like, I got the impression she was pretty dedicated to her job, so it strikes me as strange that she would then just skip town with a bunch of money. Although, she obviously had trouble letting go of John as the culprit when the evidence started pointing to the other guy. But it still felt like I kind of missed something. I guess it's mostly just a hook for next season, along with the fate of Cool Rick.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Ok, I figured that was what happened, but it still seemed kind of weird to me given how the character was portrayed throughout the season. Like, I got the impression she was pretty dedicated to her job, so it strikes me as strange that she would then just skip town with a bunch of money. Although, she obviously had trouble letting go of John as the culprit when the evidence started pointing to the other guy. But it still felt like I kind of missed something. I guess it's mostly just a hook for next season, along with the fate of Cool Rick.

I think the gist of it was she was tired / broken by the unrelenting machinations and wile of the morally bankrupt John.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I just rewatched mst3k and Utopia so I'm happy rest the year

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
I'm 3 episodes into Dark and it's pretty good so far. Whoever said it was a darker stranger things nailed it, the dubbing kind of sucks but eh.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
We switched to German with english subs after one episode.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

I think the gist of it was she was tired / broken by the unrelenting machinations and wile of the morally bankrupt John.

Yeah that was definitely the vibe I got. It reminded me of No Country For Old Men for a minute

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Dark is loving incredible. It's like if Stranger Things was one of those gritty small town murder dramas and also not constantly jerking off to the 80's.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is on Netflix now, but it was loving BURIED for me. I searched Marvel, nothing. It ran a search for "titles related to guardians of the galaxy", and it didn't turn up. Definitely not on the front page. I only got it by searching "guardians of the galaxy vol. 2" specifically. It's real weird.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Well the search algorithm probably relies on big data to propagate and isn’t instantaneous on production is my guess. Also Netflix intentionally hides their big releases to certain users based on A/B testing for up to a day so they don’t overwhelm their servers

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

precision posted:

I had the suspicion that the money was not in those bags, and she was tempting John to seriously incriminate himself and basically come clean about everything. But that may be kind of a stretch.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It seemed genuine to me at the time but I like to turn my brain off when I watch things and not guess what twists are coming. I’m sure there’s more to it

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

A MIRACLE posted:

Well the search algorithm probably relies on big data to propagate and isn’t instantaneous on production is my guess. Also Netflix intentionally hides their big releases to certain users based on A/B testing for up to a day so they don’t overwhelm their servers

where is stuff like this a/b feature disclosed/discussed? Not my field but I'm curious about this kind of thing,

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

It’s conjecture based on previous big releases

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I the only one (in the US) who had Dark default to german with english subs? I had no idea english VA was even an option.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

The Prime android app is somehow worse than the Netflix one. Do all the big streaming site CEOs get together and bet on who can make the worst interface?

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

tweet my meat posted:

Dark is loving incredible. It's like if Stranger Things was one of those gritty small town murder dramas and also not constantly jerking off to the 80's.

It's German, though, so can you assure me there's no jerking off of any kind?

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

veni veni veni posted:

Am I the only one (in the US) who had Dark default to german with english subs? I had no idea english VA was even an option.

no thats how it was for me. i prefer this though and never listen to dubs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is on Netflix now, but it was loving BURIED for me. I searched Marvel, nothing. It ran a search for "titles related to guardians of the galaxy", and it didn't turn up. Definitely not on the front page. I only got it by searching "guardians of the galaxy vol. 2" specifically. It's real weird.

For me it was ONLY on the main page (not there when I searched either). Same thing happened when Rogue One dropped. Honestly I think they do that for a week or so to avoid their servers getting hammered, otherwise I have no idea.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Can you clarify what you mean here? It should be no worse for Netflix to have everyone streaming Rogue One than to have everyone streaming different pieces of content.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It might actually be better, since they could prep for it, but I think the idea is more vs not streaming anything instead of just streaming something else.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

I just meant if they openly advertised a huge movie release to everyone right away they would get a bunch of extra traffic. I log in often just to see what's new and then log off without watching anything. like i said it's pure conjecture

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Purposefully giving their customers the perception that Netflix has nothing worth streaming sounds like a crazy decision from a business perspective, but, yeah, gently caress if I know how they think, and that would be true from a technical perspective.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think it will make a huge dent if some people don't realize one movie is available for another day.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, most of it kicked butt. But holy hell, you had to pay attention 99.9% of the time watching it.

So here's what I've got:

We've got 4 timelines:

2019: Mikkel goes missing, he's already dead because he killed himself after leaving that note to his future son.

1986: Mikkel appears, two other kids go missing. Mikkel apears, falls in love grows up with nurse as mom.

1956: Bodies from the 80's appear, Noah has his bunker.

Future: ????

Noah seems to be killing kids for his own strange ideals of introducing humanity to time travel. The hooded man is trying to stop Noah?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think it will make a huge dent if some people don't realize one movie is available for another day.

Yeah, that's fair.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

OldTennisCourt posted:

So here's what I've got:

We've got 4 timelines:

2019: Mikkel goes missing, he's already dead because he killed himself after leaving that note to his future son.

1986: Mikkel appears, two other kids go missing. Mikkel apears, falls in love grows up with nurse as mom.

1956: Bodies from the 80's appear, Noah has his bunker.

Future: ????

Noah seems to be killing kids for his own strange ideals of introducing humanity to time travel. The hooded man is trying to stop Noah?

Like all time travel lines it becomes a convoluted thing with hand waving and everything else. I have to say I did like when they would do the split-screens of past and future people.
The family tree becomes more complicated than something produced from Kentucky.

I could nit pick a bit more, but the one thing that bugged me was the cave. It was taped off for an investigation yet no one could find the cast iron stove doors. And of course left or right.

Eh, it's like Lost.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

Colostomy Bag posted:

Like all time travel lines it becomes a convoluted thing with hand waving and everything else. I have to say I did like when they would do the split-screens of past and future people.
The family tree becomes more complicated than something produced from Kentucky.

I could nit pick a bit more, but the one thing that bugged me was the cave. It was taped off for an investigation yet no one could find the cast iron stove doors. And of course left or right.

Eh, it's like Lost.

My two biggest questions are:

1. What is Noah's endgame? He goes on a rant about time travel and humanity needing to grow but what does that mean? Is he actively trying to gently caress with time to create some kind of weird paradox state and cause some human evolution?

2. What is that weird room and electric chair thing? It's called a time machine prototype, but he already seems to have a working machine with whats in that box. At first I thought Noah was murdering any kid who is pulled through time with it to stop paradoxes but that's wrong.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

You know, folks, there is a Dark thread.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, most of it kicked butt. But holy hell, you had to pay attention 99.9% of the time watching it.

I'm one episode in, but I can already tell I'm in for something special based on the "what happened to my hoodie?" exchange.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Just spent a few minutes looking and couldn't find it -- do you have a link?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Just spent a few minutes looking and couldn't find it -- do you have a link?

Yep, no problem: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3842619.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Man, what happened to Chris Pratt? There are a lot of funny people in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 but he's making me cringe.

Also, the dude who plays Dax is the break-out star.

Edit: I'm enjoying James Gunn's brother too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Man, what happened to Chris Pratt? There are a lot of funny people in Guardians of the Galaxy 2 but he's making me cringe.

You mean Drax? That's Dave Bautista and he's a better actor than a pro wrestler has any right to be (I find The Rock insufferable). Bautista also killed it in the new Blade Runner. And he was in Man with the Iron Fist, if you want to watch a dumb martial arts movie. And he was in a made for tv netflix movie recently that I can't remember the name of.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sir Kodiak posted:

What year is the post?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I didn't mind Chris Pratt, but I really like how this one broke up the ensemble and gave everyone a lot more room to shine, so even though he's central to the main plot he's not as much of a focus as he was in the first one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

A MIRACLE posted:

Bautista also killed it in the new Blade Runner.

Bautista, despite looking like he is able to fold people in half, really sold vulnerable and scared in that.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Bautista, despite looking like he is able to fold people in half, really sold vulnerable and scared in that.

He was so great! He has a nicely weathered and weary face and that body means he's a good match for certain roles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cocoa Ninja posted:

He was so great! He has a nicely weathered and weary face and that body means he's a good match for certain roles.

The fact he's a goddamn giant means that he can bring body language into roles like Drax really well, too. When your character's main trait is "literally incapable of being subtle", and you're in a big, fun, colorful movie like the GotG ones, being the kind of guy where a bit of a shrug or a small sigh is unmissable is an asset.