Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Munin posted:

Funnily enough if you talk about the US then the FCPA then that only targets payments made to (or ultimately intended to) influence public officials. None of the FIFA officials charged in the US were actually charged with bribery, instead they were charged with stuff like wire fraud, money laundering and racketeering.

The UK bribery act though also covers payments made to private individuals making it more of a headache for businesses. It's funny how many cozy "I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine" business practices start to look pretty dodgy when looked through the lens of bribery.

Yeah I was thinking of the UK bribery one and forgetting it's way more full on than basically anyone else has. Are you a UK citizen who's paid a bribe anywhere in the world? Accidentally gotten caught where the UK authorities can get hold of you? Grats, you're going to loving prison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yeah, wire fraud (FIRREA) and money laundering (I'm guessing AML/BSA) are pretty straight forward pieces of law. If you lie about your assets or seek to hide them you're hosed.

I think these people are hosed.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Kurtofan posted:

fifa sounds like a mob outfit
https://twitter.com/kenbensinger/status/932640250844680192

Although with the following caveat:

https://twitter.com/kenbensinger/status/932647121118883841

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, wire fraud (FIRREA) and money laundering (I'm guessing AML/BSA) are pretty straight forward pieces of law. If you lie about your assets or seek to hide them you're hosed.

I think these people are hosed.

Same thing is going to happen to Trump & Co for the same things and more.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Same thing is going to happen to Trump & Co for the same things and more.

Dream on

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Manafort has already been charged with money laundering.

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Take it to D&D, nerds

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Argentina’s Full Play sent $2 million in bribes in 2015 to the US Soccer Federation’s Soccer United Marketing to help arrange friendlies between Mexico and South American teams on US soil.

Mexico had been planning on friendlies against European sides in the run-up to that year’s Copa America but ultimately agreed to matches against Paraguay and Ecuador.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tortilla Maker posted:

Argentina’s Full Play sent $2 million in bribes in 2015 to the US Soccer Federation’s Soccer United Marketing to help arrange friendlies between Mexico and South American teams on US soil.

Mexico had been planning on friendlies against European sides in the run-up to that year’s Copa America but ultimately agreed to matches against Paraguay and Ecuador.

LOL

Times nicely with the reports that Sunil isn't running for re-election.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Russia’s Group Is The Easiest In Modern World Cup History

are there any conspiracy theories about this?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

No. Also, it literally does not matter, Russia won't advance from that. Uruguay and Egypt will.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

It doesn't even spell easy, barely counts imo

But for real, the metric they're using is the average rating of all four teams in the group, as opposed to the difference between the team for whom the group is easy compared to everyone else - in other words, it was always going to be the easiest group ever because Russia are useless garbagemen

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

FullLeatherJacket posted:

It doesn't even spell easy, barely counts imo

But for real, the metric they're using is the average rating of all four teams in the group, as opposed to the difference between the team for whom the group is easy compared to everyone else - in other words, it was always going to be the easiest group ever because Russia are useless garbagemen

This! Russia and Saudi Arabia will be in a dire competition to see who can be the worst possible team, if it were possible they would both get zero points

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
Group A will always be the easiest unless the host is one of the top 15 national squads in the world. That's by design.

Likewise, the group that gets the #8-#10 team that's in Pot B will usually be the toughest.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Imagine how bad the 2022 World Cup will be with Qatar in Pot 1 lmao

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

webmeister posted:

Imagine how bad the 2022 World Cup will be with Qatar in Pot 1 lmao

Can't wait for the 538 article about "Qatar's World Cup group is the easiest group in history" well yeah no poo poo it's got 212th-ranked Qatar in it

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Guys. This case just got blown wide open:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/kevin-jonas-testifies-fifa-corruption-trial-brooklyn-article-1.3683875

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

vyelkin posted:

Can't wait for the 538 article about "Qatar's World Cup group is the easiest group in history" well yeah no poo poo it's got 212th-ranked Qatar in it

They just lost to Lichtenstein.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

Liechtenstein 🇱🇮 is cool. The book where a guy follows the football team around is pretty good.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gigi Galli posted:

no shame in losing to footballing powerhouse Liechtenstein imo

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
dont be surprised when suddenly every promising u-18 brazilian player suddenly finds out about a qatari great-great-great granddad they didnt know about pretty soon

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Liechtenstein 🇱🇮 is cool. The book where a guy follows the football team around is pretty good.

What book is that? I got blackout drunk in Vaduz once and it was a lovely fun time, so I have a soft spot for that tax haven.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

joshtothemaxx posted:

What book is that? I got blackout drunk in Vaduz once and it was a lovely fun time, so I have a soft spot for that tax haven.

Stamping Grounds by Charlie Connelly

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

Stamping Grounds by Charlie Connelly

I'll look into this one. Sounds like it could be similar to Miracle at Castel di Sangro.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NBCSports/status/966674369211764736

:smug:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
you can do heroin at the 2018 world cup

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
How many people do you think will die at the 2018 World Cup?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

How many people do you think will die at the 2018 World Cup?

Die or 'disappear'? Because there's going to be a bunch of gays who 'suddenly decide' that they want to live in Siberia for the rest of their lives or 'kill themselves' in alleys.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Die or 'disappear'? Because there's going to be a bunch of gays who 'suddenly decide' that they want to live in Siberia for the rest of their lives or 'kill themselves' in alleys.

What are you basing this on?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Here's hoping that includes the FIFA executive team!

E: read that as a "bunch of guys".

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

Der Shovel posted:

Both interpretations will end up being correct

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I definitely trust Russian immigration control to let you by with a couple eight balls

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I definitely trust Russian immigration control to let you by with a couple eight balls

You can only do heroin if you have a prescription for it, which I'm sure is a super common thing to get a script for.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

African AIDS cum posted:

What are you basing this on?

Hysteria.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Der Shovel posted:

Here's hoping that includes the FIFA executive team!

I didn't and still thought the same haha

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

:thunk:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

quote:

But Sol Campbell had this advice for fans thinking of travelling to Euro 2012: "Stay at home, watch it on TV. Don't even risk it… because you could end up coming back in a coffin."
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-18192375

Anyone have the numbers on how many thousand fans were killed at Euro 2012 I can't seem to find the stats on this

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
The most dangerous place at the Russia World Cup:

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Mar 17, 2018

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
VAR is going to be used at the World Cup. I'm sure that will all go well and there will be no controversy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

trem_two posted:

VAR is going to be used at the World Cup. I'm sure that will all go well and there will be no controversy.

On FW a while ago they made the good point that a lot of the refs at the World Cup will be using VAR for the first time at the cup, as if VAR wasn’t already enough of a poo poo show,