Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MourningView posted:

Mike Riley is old as hell and hasn’t had a good team in a really long time, I don’t think that many people are going to be seriously calling for him as head coach at this point.

The fact that he doesn't (seem to?) have oversight of a particular group has me thinking this like an emeritus position

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Real Name Grover posted:

The fact that he doesn't (seem to?) have oversight of a particular group has me thinking this like an emeritus position
I can't imagine he's there to do anything but help Jonathan Smith adjust to the fact that Oregon State is absolutely different from Washington and Boise State.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Will Friend is coming to UT as the OL coach.

http://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2017/12/07/csu-offensive-coordinator-friend-leaving-tennessee/931259001/

quote:

Mike Bobo will have to replace coordinators on both sides of the ball before next season.

Offensive coordinator Will Friend is headed to Tennessee to join the staff of new coach Jeremy Pruitt, according to multiple reports. The Coloradoan confirmed the report through a source close to the program.

Friend, who serves as offensive line coach in addition to offensive coordinator, is the highest paid Group of Five assistant coach in college football at $540,000, according to USA TODAY Sports’ database of assistant coach salaries.

He’s coached the Rams for three seasons, coming with Bobo from Georgia. He served as offensive line coach for four years at Georgia.

While Friend carries the title of coordinator, Bobo is the game-day play-caller for the Rams.

More: CSU football defensive coordinator Marty English to retire after bowl game

Friend and Pruitt were teammates at Alabama in the 1990s.

Both of Bobo’s coordinators now won’t return for next season, after the team announced in November that defensive coordinator Marty English will retire following CSU’s Dec. 16 New Mexico Bowl appearance.

A CSU spokesperson said he could not confirm the report.

Bobo will have at least three assistant openings to fill with the two coordinator positions, plus a 10th on-field assistant allowed beginning in January under an NCAA rule change.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 7, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

Yeah I know. All the more reason to do something wacky

They should've hired Mark Jackson.

E: It's funny to see Oregon fans use the "steal recruit" thing against Taggart. Like how do you think Taggart got all those late recruits last year?

Rick fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 7, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
https://twitter.com/DanWolken/status/938860336328921088

Did Dooley kill ULL or something

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I cannot fathom how anyone would want that Dooley running your program after how he burned Tennessee to the ground and really didnt do much at La Tech.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I like the hire. My Bammer friend says that he’s sad to see Pruitt go because he’s an excellent recruiter and has a great mind for the game. We’ll see what he does with coordinators, though I assume Tee’s out of the whole “head coach in waiting” gig due to us hiring Pruitt and not a stopgap like Miles.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
There's talent on this Tennessee team, if Pruitt can manage to get everyone healthy and on the field that is. He's not coming into a complete shambles like Butch did after Dooley left.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I cannot fathom how anyone would want that Dooley running your program after how he burned Tennessee to the ground and really didnt do much at La Tech.

Uhh why would you not want a coach that refers to his players as soldiers in the third reich

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Demon Of The Fall posted:

There's talent on this Tennessee team, if Pruitt can manage to get everyone healthy and on the field that is. He's not coming into a complete shambles like Butch did after Dooley left.

We are talking about a program that thinks they can trick everyone and go by a different name.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

People at LA Tech must have really liked him because he was also somehow their AD.

Jesus he was 4-8 his last year there, what the gently caress Tennessee

MourningView fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 7, 2017

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

This is an interesting hire. He has been a Bobo protege, and we always had a really great OL under him. He was OC under Bobo, so I wonder how involved he was at CSU in designing the plays, or if they were plays Bobo brought with him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MourningView posted:

People at LA Tech must have really liked him because he was also somehow their AD.

This make me look this up but Lousiana Tech’s current AD is only 35. He got his start at McNeese State when they hired him as the AD at 26

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

This make me look this up but Lousiana Tech’s current AD is only 35. He got his start at McNeese State when they hired him as the AD at 26

holy hell :stare:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
More coaches announced:

QB coach: Tyson Helton from USC
RB Coach: Robert Gillespie staying on
DB Coach: Terry loving Fair from Colorado state

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Rick posted:

They should've hired Mark Jackson.

E: It's funny to see Oregon fans use the "steal recruit" thing against Taggart. Like how do you think Taggart got all those late recruits last year?

Not to mention he hasn't even flipped any recruits (yet)

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

We didn't understand it then either.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Joey Freshwater posted:

More coaches announced:

I’m glad Gillespie is staying. Our RBs were the only good thing about this last year.

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

More coaches announced:

Things are shaping up pretty nicely.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
If the Vols had done what they're doing now from the get-go it probably would have gotten a solid B grade from everybody.

Fulmer might be a bag of caramels left out in the August sun too long, but he's made the Vols coaching search into a perfectly ordinary thing overnight.

And I hate it because I love dumb chaotic stupidity for babies like we got before he took over. :argh:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Wasn't he the mastermind behind all the nonsense for revenge?

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

NickRoweFillea posted:

I’m glad Gillespie is staying. Our RBs were the only good thing about this last year.

Remember when Alvin Kamara was second string??

Oh Butch

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

sean10mm posted:

If the Vols had done what they're doing now from the get-go it probably would have gotten a solid B grade from everybody.

Fulmer might be a bag of caramels left out in the August sun too long, but he's made the Vols coaching search into a perfectly ordinary thing overnight.

And I hate it because I love dumb chaotic stupidity for babies like we got before he took over. :argh:

Kind of, its pretty easy to stop the leaks and drama when you are the source of both.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

swickles posted:

Kind of, its pretty easy to stop the leaks and drama when you are the source of both.
phil will gently caress you up, it might take 8 years but he gonna git you

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

swickles posted:

Yea, it's entirely obvious he caused all of it to get the AD job which is why any sane Vol should be loving furious at him as well. He's an enormous part of why you've been laughed at these past few weeks.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 8, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

phil will gently caress you up, it might take 8 years but he gonna git you

He’s had a lot of practice with back stabbing

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Our new coach really loves to say 'Aight'

Edit: I changed it to 'aight'

Sir Thats Gross
May 27, 2006

nate fisher posted:

Our new coach really loves to say 'Alright'

I noticed that too.

drat, he got me fired up and it’s only the presser.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Fulmer is just another symptom of the cancer on Rocky Top. I would love Pruitt to succeed, but I bet he does alright and then fucks off for a better less hosed department in a couple years.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Sir Thats Gross posted:

I noticed that too.

drat, he got me fired up and it’s only the presser.

After years of Butch and his coach talk bullshit, Pruitt is a straight shooter, and it makes an impression.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Fulmer is just another symptom of the cancer on Rocky Top. I would love Pruitt to succeed, but I bet he does alright and then fucks off for a better less hosed department in a couple years.

I hope to God he is forced to choose between us and Bama in 5 years. That means he has at least done a great job.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/938912558563467264

Rumph is a good hire. Our DL was great against the run and he’s a great recruiter. Not great in pass rush tho.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I hope to God he is forced to choose between us and Bama in 5 years. That means he has at least done a great job.

If there is anything to be said for the SEC they're really doing a great job of testing out the Saban replacements for Bama before Bama comes back to reclaim what was always theirs.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I’m definitely liking what I’m hearing from Pruitt in this presser. I really hope he does well for us.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aight

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

More coaches announced:

Holy poo poo, former ok Lions player Terry Fair! That's a name I haven't heard in ages.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Henchman of Santa posted:

Holy poo poo, former ok Lions player Terry Fair! That's a name I haven't heard in ages.

I think it was Madden 08 you could find him as a free agent and he was like 99 on kick returns, it was awesome

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I’m definitely liking what I’m hearing from Pruitt in this presser. I really hope he does well for us.

it's cause he aint no lying yankee carpet bagger

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

it's cause he aint no lying yankee carpet bagger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Pruitt is a maniac lol

• Locked thread