Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

batman would be a waste of hamm's comedic talents imo

I'd make him an overconfident hot doofus like hal jordan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Don Draper was already kinda a Batman in his own way.
Lots of family hangups. A re-invented identity that overtook his actual sense of self. All his power came from a nice suit and having lots of money.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
[/quote]

So they took the wrong lesson and think its Snyder. Typical bullshit.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Spacebump posted:

If they are going to do Flashpoint, they should just have Christian Bale as Batman after. It wouldn't make sense with the DC film universe's Joker but who cares at this point.

Gotta be an optimistic hero to get those critical reviews!!!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

While we are talking of Momoa

First look at Aquaman

You know what would be cool, if this photo is of Arthur on the oil rig that Clark rushed to in Man of Steel.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

The MSJ posted:

Lord & Miller was hired to just write the first draft, but they left before WB can get them to direct because they got a Star Wars job offer. It's understandable since there's a dozen comic book movies in production at any given time, but Star Wars movies are still a one-movie-a-year thing. Of course we know what happened eventually.

After that, the Flash movie script keeps getting rewritten and at least two directors left. The reason became clear when WB announced a Flashpoint movie. Flashpoint is fairly recent event in the comics that led to the New 52 reboot, spearheaded by Geoff Johns. With him being one of the big guys at DC, not just for the comics, he keeps pushing for the story to be adapted elsewhere like an animated movie and in the CW Flash series.

Maybe this means any eventual Green Lantern movie will be safe from him too.

Was the guy that directed Dope (and was supposed to direct Flash) supposed to use the LnM script or his own?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Was the guy that directed Dope (and was supposed to direct Flash) supposed to use the LnM script or his own?

I'm not sure. The L&M script was partially rewritten by the guy who wrote Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, who was personally chose by L&M. One of the reasons the Dope guy left was Johns not liking his story ideas (allegedly "too dark" but I think that's just a cover story now), so I think at that point they're already going with a different script.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should just not loving announce a movie until they have both a director and script.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
That is not how you win big in the hypenomics market my man

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

While we are talking of Momoa

First look at Aquaman

If Suicide Squad's success was because of non-white viewers, maybe they need to emphasize Momoa's Hawaiian heritage more in the marketing. It worked for Moana.

teagone posted:

You know what would be cool, if this photo is of Arthur on the oil rig that Clark rushed to in Man of Steel.

Apparently, Momoa said in an interview it was Aquaman who carried Clark's unconscious body near the shore after the oil rig rescue.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Cyborg was supposed to be front and center in Justice League and WB cut all his stuff out. I don't think they understand anything.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Cyborg is kind of an impossible character to do lighthearted adventure-comedy with

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Teen Titans Go managed to make it work.

I think JL really was supposed to show Cyborg evolving from a brooding lover to a team player who goes BOOYAH.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
TTG is basically Fractured Fairy Tales with most of the episodes ending with one or more Titans dead or horrifically transformed. But yeah ofc. it's not impossible it's just like, a wasted opportunity if you don't go into his whole deal.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 8, 2017

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

Cyborg is kind of an impossible character to do lighthearted adventure-comedy with

Couldn't that just be Inspector Gadget though?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Cyborg movie will be about a mad Star Labs scientist using the Mother Box to 8 Cyborg Masters with various gimmick powers. The audience has to use their phones to vote the order in which Cyborg kills them and absorbs their powers.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It remains nuts to me that Cyborg is now a "major" DC comics character. He was literally Cousin Eddie'd back in the mid-90s, like "I have changed too much, my friends---I have to go to space now [forever]!!!" disappeared for like 6-7 years and only reemerged as a supporting character in Flash I think.

Like in some parallel universe Beast Boy is DC's huge breakout character and the Zak Effron vehicle adaption is the runaway hit of 2018

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Cyborg movie will be about a mad Star Labs scientist using the Mother Box to 8 Cyborg Masters with various gimmick powers. The audience has to use their phones to vote the order in which Cyborg kills them and absorbs their powers.

Will he have a robot dog in this scenario, or does that come in the second film.

In the third Cyborg film, he gains the ability to slide

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It remains nuts to me that Cyborg is now a "major" DC comics character. He was literally Cousin Eddie'd back in the mid-90s, like "I have changed too much, my friends---I have to go to space now [forever]!!!" disappeared for like 6-7 years and only reemerged as a supporting character in Flash I think.

Like in some parallel universe Beast Boy is DC's huge breakout character and the Zak Effron vehicle adaption is the runaway hit of 2018

He's DC's Black Guy.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'Hiccup'. :rolleyes:

They hosed up really, really badly.

And that doesn't establish a pattern. Everyone was banging on about how BvS meant the end of the DCEU, only for SS and WW to massively outperform expectations.

poo poo, almost like extrapolating from individual data points is a bad idea.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

The Cameo posted:

Suicide Squad had a lot of repeat business from young women, younger millennials - particularly the under-18 crowd - African-Americans, and Hispanics (41% of the opening weekend came from them, and 4 out of 5 liked it). The Joker/Harley romance and Harley in particular brought in millennial women (and really, women of all ages), Croc/Diablo/Deadshot got minorities to show up, the look of the movie attracted under-18 millennials, these people kept on going back to it, and suddenly the movie has made over $300 million domestically while the traditional "core" audience for comic book movies - 24-40 white males - showed up only on opening weekend and vanished completely after that.

Basically a bunch of people who are shunted to the side of a normal comic book movie saw the advertising (because WB went deep on these demographics with ad buys), saw a woman/Hispanic/black guy on the same level as the white people in the movie if not above them, and went "oh poo poo yes".

In a way, hiring Ayer ended up being the smartest move since Ayer spent the latter half of his teenage years living in South Central LA and keeps in touch with his friends from then, giving him a pretty good cross-reference of what a Hispanic or African-American audience would want out of a superhero movie.

Not saying you're making poo poo up but can you source of any of this?

K. Waste posted:

Guy Ritchie is the filmmaker at the top of my list of people who would be well-suited for a DC movie. I love my man Ayer, but I have to wonder how Suicide Squad might have turned out in his hands.

And, yeah, King Arthur was pretty sweet, I don't care what anyone says. Too much exposition? Sure! Of course! But you know what else had too much exposition? Wonder Woman. You know what's a better shot movie than Wonder Woman, and even has a better God of War end level boss fight defeated by the power of love?

Was it King Arthur?

teagone posted:

Put this man right in here in charge of some poo poo.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 8, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

It's because of Geoff Johns, he wants everyone to think his favorite characters are the best characters.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's because of Geoff Johns, he wants everyone to think his favorite characters are the best characters.

Sure failed hard with Justice League. I think Zack Snyder and Chris Terrio like Cyborg more than he does.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Johns seems to prefer a more posthuman take on the character than how Perez envisioned him but a) that has some support in the way Wolfman wrote him towards the end of the run (which is garbage btw; Wolfman's last couple years before he mercy-killed New Titans were BAD); b) I don't doubt he genuinely likes the character. He did bring him back from limbo after like a decade when I can't imagine there were too many fans of the 80s Titans left around bitching for it

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Jimbot posted:

Sure failed hard with Justice League. I think Zack Snyder and Chris Terrio like Cyborg more than he does.

That's what drives me nuts, Terrio and Snyder really seemed to get into that and had some great ideas for what's otherwise a pretty bland character.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'm pretty sure they brought him back from limbo for brand synergy, since he's one of the animated Teen Titans in both the original show and Go!. I don't doubt that Johns kinda has a boner for the character, but I feel like the character being part of one of DC's current biggest cash-cows probably helps a ton.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That's what drives me nuts, Terrio and Snyder really seemed to get into that and had some great ideas for what's otherwise a pretty bland character.

I guess people only want him to be the Wise-Cracking Black Guy™ of the group and not an interesting character who is the heart of the Justice League. We were supposed to get Cyborg's fight sequence like Superman did. They showed it in the goddamn trailers!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Suicide Squad really is the best. :allears:

And yeah, the majority of DC is probably hosed while Johns is still in charge.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Come in and completely changed Zack Snyder's movie into something no one really likes and then blame him.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

Not saying you're making poo poo up but can you source of any of this?

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-suicide-squad-eyes-150-million-weekend-917819

https://www.thewrap.com/5-reasons-why-suicide-squad-slayed-at-the-box-office/

https://www.themarysue.com/suicide-squad-high-female-audience-turnout/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2016/09/13/box-office-suicide-squad-is-now-leggier-than-captain-america-civil-war/

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/793569761879728128

Initially reports said Hispanics/African-Americans made up 39%, which was later adjusted to 41%. Reports on following weekends (outside of the second weekend drop) rarely get reported, but a simple extrapolation based on the audience and the normal drops of comic book movies suggests the demographics returning weren't the standard young adult white male that is the center of the target for these productions (the "backbone" of these movies is considered that 18-35 white, male demo). Adult white guys went once (thus a 67% 2nd wknd drop), but a lot of under-18s, black, hispanics, and women all kept coming back/spread word of mouth to their friends, which led to a multiplier that defies that sort of drop (Batman v Superman had a drop just a tiny bit bigger, and only did a 1.99 multiplier).

Much in the same way, Wonder Woman had incredible staying power this past summer because women kept coming back to it (and they made up 52% of the opening weekend when they are usually under 40% for superhero movies), again and again and again - which is almost always the actual steam engine behind out-of-box successes, and yet are always a vastly underserved demographic.

This all ends up being very funny since one of the more concrete things we know about Snyder's cut of Justice League was that Cyborg was the center of the movie, and he was trimmed to feeling almost tossed into the movie as a "eh, whatever" in the theatrical cut. So despite demographic information from the movie that came out during initial production AND the one that came out during reshoots suggesting that more actual highlighted diversity helps these DC films... they made JL whiter and basically doubled down on Batman. Oops.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Awesome. Thank you WB.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

For those of you familiar with the manga, the trailer for Battle Angel Alita drops tomorrow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeUOV6JpzgI

My expectations are low, but I'm happy it finally got made. Just wish Cameron helmed it like he said he would :(

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 8, 2017

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, at this point, the cartoon version of Cyborg isn't just more popular than the comics version, he's better-developed, and I have no idea why they don't just make a live-action version of him.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The cartoon version is not developed at all. The original teen Titans show has serial storytelling to an extent but no real character development. The current show is one off ten minute extended gags with about as much development as any given newspaper comic strip.

Like when you say you want Cyborg to be more like the cartoon what do you even mean?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
He wants to be human, loves pie, and is really into prog rock.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Brother Entropy posted:

batman would be a waste of hamm's comedic talents imo

I'd make him an overconfident hot doofus like hal jordan

I made the suggestion earlier but instead of being Bruce Wayne you could have the next guy play Dick Grayson or Timothy Drake getting the cowl passed on to them. Both of which would work with a more comedic actor.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I am absolutely shocked that affleck is out, shocked I tell you

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Like when you say you want Cyborg to be more like the cartoon what do you even mean?

it's mostly a difference of outlook. comics Cyborg is generally angsty as hell and hates his existence, to my recollection (it's been a while since I read classic Titans and I don't read modern DC). cartoon Cyborg is a fun-loving dork who says "booyah" and loves pie. there's not much more to cartoon Cyborg than that, as exists, but it's not like the personality they give him doesn't have room to expand.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The cartoon version is not developed at all. The original teen Titans show has serial storytelling to an extent but no real character development. The current show is one off ten minute extended gags with about as much development as any given newspaper comic strip.

he had some stuff in the original cartoon, the standard saved by robot science 'i never asked for this' kind of stuff

there was also a cool episode where some 'good guy' heroic alien kept being low-key racist towards starfire because she was a tamaranian and cyborg's the only other titan who notices and kinda pulls her aside to have a heart to heart with her about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The original series was very, very, very resistant to character development, but it would indulge in it from time to time.

Cyborg keying into racism was one of those times.

The time he became a barbarian was another, sort of

By and large though no one changed ever

• Locked thread