Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYrRqMHQY7o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Milky Moor posted:

"I now know why you cry, but it is something I can never do." Jasper wipes the tear from Steven's cheek. "Goodbye."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Honestly SU does decently with keeping relative character sizes (as in X character is bigger than Y) with the exception of Lapis (one ep she's shorter than pearl but in another she's slightly taller)

Spring tides are a bitch.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Give back big Peridot.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The Bigger Peridot Hypothesis.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Peripis > Lapidot

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

chitoryu12 posted:

By the same comparison, we’ve never had Garnet shown as smaller than Steven.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Still not incorrect

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Amesteven is somehow even... sassier.

I kinda forget that Garnet can shapeshift, since she does it so rarely, while it's practically Amethyst's signature skill.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

LividLiquid posted:

It's absolutely an excuse. It's their art, and they can make it any way they want.

The old Simpsons animation was technically inferior to what we have now, but those weird off-model moments punctuated certain moments beautifully. I preferred it. Now everybody has like four expressions. They're "on model," but that model is arbitrary and rigid.

These are people who've been in animation for a long time. They know how to keep things on model. The choice to not do that isn't a choice to be "bad animators." It's an artistic choice you just don't like.

Ok, when I first brought up this issue I really didn't expect there to be such a drat dogged defense over something I myself have said doesn't bother me that much, but is still noticeable and quite irritating. Go back and read some of my earlier posts because I don't think you noticed what I actually said about staying on model and I'll just end repeating myself. Let's just start with old Simpsons, I love the show and everything but season 1 and 2 of the Simpsons can be painful to watch from an animation perspective, I don't want to say it's bad animation (especially in the context of TV in the late 80s/early 90s).... but it's got some problems. Frankly I think it's a good example of why staying on model is really important because characters constantly contort into bizarre unnatural versions of themselves, they forget to put in entire body parts (in one episode where Abe is talking to a woman called Beatrice her nose keeps popping in and out of existence in a really weird and distracting manner) and they often completely mess up the established colorization of various things. Also the lip syncing is often really hosed. And the people who worked on the show noticed this, the quality of animation was a massive issue during production early on in the show and some episodes, most notably 'Some enchanted evening' had to be almost completely re-done.

The Simpsons is interesting because it displays the worst of both worlds in it's absurdly long run. I absolutely agree with you that I'd take the old sort of unstable, rubbery animation to the current stale-rear end crap (also it's not technically inferior by most measures), which is why I said earlier for whatever problems I have with SU I also prefer it to, say, the kind of sterile, rigid stuff you see on most Netflix shows for example. But it's not an either/or situation, the Simpsons pulled away from that early animation style into something that, by the producers admission, was more like what they originally were going for which was much more on model and coherent, still allowing for the right amount of exaggeration and not being utterly wedded to rigid models when needed but also not flying off the rails. Oddly enough this was also the period that everyone regards as a golden age when it might have been the best sitcom ever made.

The overall point is that SU has way too much variation from episode to episode, and it doesn't actually add anything most of the time, look at this:

What's the point?

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

khwarezm posted:

Ok, when I first brought up this issue I really didn't expect there to be such a drat dogged defense over something I myself have said doesn't bother me that much, but is still noticeable and quite irritating. Go back and read some of my earlier posts because I don't think you noticed what I actually said about staying on model and I'll just end repeating myself. Let's just start with old Simpsons, I love the show and everything but season 1 and 2 of the Simpsons can be painful to watch from an animation perspective, I don't want to say it's bad animation (especially in the context of TV in the late 80s/early 90s).... but it's got some problems. Frankly I think it's a good example of why staying on model is really important because characters constantly contort into bizarre unnatural versions of themselves, they forget to put in entire body parts (in one episode where Abe is talking to a woman called Beatrice her nose keeps popping in and out of existence in a really weird and distracting manner) and they often completely mess up the established colorization of various things. Also the lip syncing is often really hosed. And the people who worked on the show noticed this, the quality of animation was a massive issue during production early on in the show and some episodes, most notably 'Some enchanted evening' had to be almost completely re-done.

The Simpsons is interesting because it displays the worst of both worlds in it's absurdly long run. I absolutely agree with you that I'd take the old sort of unstable, rubbery animation to the current stale-rear end crap (also it's not technically inferior by most measures), which is why I said earlier for whatever problems I have with SU I also prefer it to, say, the kind of sterile, rigid stuff you see on most Netflix shows for example. But it's not an either/or situation, the Simpsons pulled away from that early animation style into something that, by the producers admission, was more like what they originally were going for which was much more on model and coherent, still allowing for the right amount of exaggeration and not being utterly wedded to rigid models when needed but also not flying off the rails. Oddly enough this was also the period that everyone regards as a golden age when it might have been the best sitcom ever made.

The overall point is that SU has way too much variation from episode to episode, and it doesn't actually add anything most of the time, look at this:

What's the point?

Ronaldo can you tell your weird friends this is a fry shack and not a therapist's office?
___________________________________/

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I miss Peedee, I wish we had gotten more episodes with him instead of Ronaldo.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

khwarezm posted:

What's the point?

LividLiquid posted:

It's an artistic choice you just don't like.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

That's like saying a director who constantly lets the boom mic be visible in the shot is just making an artistic choice I don't like.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

khwarezm posted:

That's like saying a director who constantly lets the boom mic be visible in the shot is just making an artistic choice I don't like.

Sure, and nobody has to like it.

I'd understand all the complaining if it was the result of bad animation studios (like the second season of Korra for example) but the crew has repeatedly said it's on purpose so :shrug:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I miss Peedee, I wish we had gotten more episodes with him instead of Ronaldo.

It's really weird how underused Peedee is as a character, especially since the artbook shows that they were originally planning on having him and Onion be more prominent as Steven's friends, but that might have been before they came up with the idea that Steven ages weirdly because of his Gem heritage(which personally I think might have been a mistake)

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

khwarezm posted:

What's the point?

The point is that someone literally forgot how tall lapis was supposed to be

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I forgot how tall Lapis was supposed to be too

I think there's a wide gulf of difference between accidentally making Lapis a head smaller or, say, accidentally making Yellow Diamond Steven-sized. Or accidentally making Pearl Garnet-colored. Or making Steven's shirt switch to yellow with a pink heart for a single shot. Or putting Steven on the wrong layer when he's walking through a door so that he instead walks in front of the door and then disappears into thin air but his arm is floating is mid-air because he was supposed to like his arm out the door to wave to someone. Or

Augus fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 7, 2017

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Everyone needs to sign my petition to have all SU characters have a set height in Gamecubes

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
I really wonder if they're ever going to show the Kindergarten Rose came from. Assuming she did...Bismuth seems to state she came to from Earth just like Amethyst and Jasper...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2DRu3hNZfA

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

That's a particularly tiny/cute Amethyst

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The characters are scaled with consideration for the overall composition of the shot, which is why their designs are specified to have flexible proportions and sizes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

khwarezm posted:

Arrested Development did exactly this for a gag, and since it was on purpose, it was an artistic choice.

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. My contention is that you are not allowed to call professional animators "bad" for a stylistic choice you don't like.

Quentin Tarantino movies don't conform to "proper" film structure, but you bet your rear end he knows the poo poo out of it and knows how and when to break it, and why, to produce an effect he wants. He's not sloppy or undisciplined. He knows what he's doing.

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

The point is that someone literally forgot how tall lapis was supposed to be
Or, for that shot, they wanted the characters to be the same height. Real films do this all the loving time with apple boxes n' poo poo when one character needs to loom over another one.

Bongo Bill posted:

The characters are scaled with consideration for the overall composition of the shot, which is why their designs are specified to have flexible proportions and sizes.

This.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Hemingway To Go! posted:

IDK... I don't really want to get into cartoons at this point like I used to because I'm really frustrated by these horrible schedules, but I feel like the non-LORE episodes of this show, even in season one, are still better than almost anything else on animated television. Especially since they manage to make something funny and that still feels like a cartoon without super exaggeration.

Cartoon Hangover has put out three pilots meant for adult viewers. I thought the second one was okay, but the first and third were garbage.

I feel you, this last hiatus has really killed my interest in the show. I'm mostly holding on for the idea that Yellow Diamond might get another song.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

khwarezm posted:

I watched after a lot of people recommended it to me.

Oh wow, this is how it feels.

Yep, that's how it feels. I had the same feelings about Big Mouth (it's garbage).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

LividLiquid posted:

Arrested Development did exactly this for a gag, and since it was on purpose, it was an artistic choice.

You're absolutely entitled to your opinion. My contention is that you are not allowed to call professional animators "bad" for a stylistic choice you don't like.

Quentin Tarantino movies don't conform to "proper" film structure, but you bet your rear end he knows the poo poo out of it and knows how and when to break it, and why, to produce an effect he wants. He's not sloppy or undisciplined. He knows what he's doing.
Dude, there's a world of difference between intentionally having a gag based around inept film making with the ineptness being the joke and having ostensibly the same characters constantly changing appearance and relative height because no one's bothering to keep track. Frankly, to a lot of people who work in or have experience with the animation industry that looks amateurish, sorry, but that's the perspective Robobuddies is coming from.

I'm trying make something clear, a big problem with SU is that inconsistency and no matter how much you dress it up most of time it adds absolutely nothing. They aren't doing some kind of Tarantinoesque reinvention or deconstruction of entire genres, the animation in particular is pretty constrained and standard most of the time, it's high quality apart from these issues, but also not getting as experimental as something like Gumball often does. Do you seriously think that the composition of the shot I posted would be ruined if Pearl was noticeably taller than Lapis? Or if it was, that they couldn't just re-position the characters to make it work?

Actually, just overall, what do you think of this shot here, do you have any particular complaints or compliments overall with it?:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You seem to think that it's a mistake that they just somehow keep making, totally on accident.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Bongo Bill posted:

You seem to think that it's a mistake that they just somehow keep making, totally on accident.

:shrug: they can talk about how intentional it is all they want, the show would be better looking if they stopped and kept their artists on a tighter leash.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Here's something that's not relevant to the height stuff but semi-relevant to the animation quality

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

khwarezm posted:

:shrug: they can talk about how intentional it is all they want, the show would be better looking if they stopped and kept their artists on a tighter leash.

I promise you if Rebecca Sugar wanted the characters to conform to precise relative sizes then they would. It is not an error. Any rule can be broken in art, and consistency in this minor attribute is not even that serious a rule to begin with, compared to things like palette and silhouette that are both easier to gently caress up and always done right in this show.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

khwarezm posted:

as we all know what makes steven universe so beloved is how it plays everything safe and traditional, and always follows the rules

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Honestly I don't care either way: I can see and respect why the crew don't bother but I can also see and respect why the height thing in particular would bug people
:shrug:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
To me it's a legitimate discussion but not the show's worst problem at the moment, which is that it's stuck in :lost: zone when they've super promised it'll all make sense, but to be honest I'm incredibly skeptical it's been much thought out at all, and major dimensions of the show are forgotten for long, long stretches.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The show would work much better if the fandom didn't have months to analyze every frame of every episode between bombs.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

gmq posted:

The show would work much better if the fandom didn't have months to analyze every frame of every episode between bombs.

People were hyper-analzying every frame in the back half of season one; it just attracts that kind of person.

Here's a dumb fact: We've only had 24 episodes this year (including the last bomb that was on the app and will air in December). Compared to 39 episodes in 2016, 37 in 2015, 27 in 2014, and 8 in 2013 (all of which were in November/December anyway, they might as well be part of 2014), this year's not just had longer hiatuses, but fewer episodes too. Hopefully this trend does not continue in 2018.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Ah I see, we've transitioned to the "worry the show's cancelled" part of any TVIV thread...

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Pick posted:

To me it's a legitimate discussion but not the show's worst problem at the moment, which is that it's stuck in :lost: zone when they've super promised it'll all make sense, but to be honest I'm incredibly skeptical it's been much thought out at all, and major dimensions of the show are forgotten for long, long stretches.

The hiatuses definitely make it worse than it actually is in that regard (like I'd rank the show a 5/10 on the :lost: scale but the hiatuses make it seem more like a 7.5/10 :lost:)

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The handwringing over art condistency is annoying, but not nearly as annoying as the idea that its a bold, rulebreaking artistic statement. Endive from Chowder was doing what you're mentioning, where her size fluctuated based on what was hilarious or threatening at the time. She could be small enough to interact with the cast or huge enough to tower over them, but only based on what the episode needed. Steven being half Mayor Dewey's size in one scene and up to his butt in another scene, completely at random, adds nothing.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I personally feel the slightly variable but relative character heights are fine for the most part. However things may have gotten out of hand at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Also is there any author/creative person who reasonably cops to making mistakes and errors and without playing the 'it's my style/it's intentional' card?

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 8, 2017