Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Gullwhacker posted:

My question was just met with laughter. Endless laughter.

This is a good thread title imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure 9S and A2 will talk things over this time, clear up their unfortunate misunderstanding, get back to the resistance camp, and have a good laugh about this whole thing over a cup of tea. They'll bond over their hatred of machine lifeforms, and before long they'll be best buds and maybe even ****ing each other.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Gullwhacker posted:

When I played this segment, I messaged a friend. I hadn't played the original NieR, so I was trying to piece together what had happened from the Project Gestalt reports. My question was:

"Did the protagonist of NieR die alone?"

who?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Gullwhacker posted:

When I played this segment, I messaged a friend. I hadn't played the original NieR, so I was trying to piece together what had happened from the Project Gestalt reports. My question was:

"Did the protagonist of NieR die alone?"

My question was just met with laughter. Endless laughter.

Having since read The Dark Id's LP of NieR, I kind of get why.

You have the best friend.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

DeafNote posted:

I am still pretty sure I could use rapid fire during the 2B segments (at first)

Yeah, I remember that being the one safety net during the 2B Virus Walk; even while she was sparking and stumbling, 2B could still use pod fire and any pod programs that didn't require her direct involvement (i.e. stuff like Laser was fine but Mirage was out) up until about when she reaches the field just before the bridge (at which point her ranged attacks FFCS function will automatically die if it hasn't already).

I mostly remember that because I was one of those people that tried to cut through the hole (I only read Id's updates up to points I had gotten to myself so I didn't have his warning :v:) and ended up having to deal with about half a dozen stubbies trying to bash her already-battered skull in while I was trying to make an air-dash jump to reach a ledge and move on. Things went sour for a minute or two until I discovered Pod 042 could still do his job, at which point I sorted them out quickly and got back to the death walk.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 7, 2017

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Sylphosaurus posted:

Good to see that at least some things doesn't change in the Nier universe.

Devola and Popola always so helpful. If only they'd been around to tell Caim not to die alone whenever he was feeling a little unhinged.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Somebody told Caim not to die alone and he took it in maybe a different way than they intended :unsmigghh:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Killing all of humanity is the least dying alone ever.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Seems like nearly every problem in the Nier universe could have been stopped if Devola/Popola Prime communicated better. Humanity could have been saved if they'd:

Told Nier what was going on and that the Shadowlord and shades weren't actually evil, as well as who the Shadowlord actually was and why he took Replicant Yonah.
Told the Shadowlord to chill the gently caress out and return Replicant Yonah.
Told Weiss what his true purpose was.
Told Noir to stop being such a dick so Weiss would be more compliant.

And now all this Devopopola do is tell Nines not to die alone...

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

euphronius posted:

I'm going to need like 20 posts of exegesis when this is over.

Nier Automata Exegesis Part 1: This game is really loving good.
Nier Automata Exegesis Part 2: No seriously it's just the best

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

...! posted:

Seems like nearly every problem in the Nier universe could have been stopped if Devola/Popola Prime communicated better. Humanity could have been saved if they'd:

Told Nier what was going on and that the Shadowlord and shades weren't actually evil, as well as who the Shadowlord actually was and why he took Replicant Yonah.
Told the Shadowlord to chill the gently caress out and return Replicant Yonah.
Told Weiss what his true purpose was.
Told Noir to stop being such a dick so Weiss would be more compliant.

Problems with those things, in order:

Would have gone in a foaming-at-the-mouth berserker rage the moment he heard the word "shade" and/or Shadowlord.
Would have not given a single gently caress after waiting, like, 1500 years or whatever.
Would have... actually they did restore his memories later so that could have worked if they'd just done that from the start.
Would have still been voiced by Albert Wesker, making this impossible.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Problems with those things, in order:

Would have gone in a foaming-at-the-mouth berserker rage the moment he heard the word "shade" and/or Shadowlord.
Would have not given a single gently caress after waiting, like, 1500 years or whatever.
Would have... actually they did restore his memories later so that could have worked if they'd just done that from the start.
Would have still been voiced by Albert Wesker, making this impossible.
Yeah, Devola and Popola were pretty hosed from the word go. As soon as the Shadowlord stopped keeping the Shades under control, the failure of the project was inevitable.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I think it’s kinda hilarious that the key instigator of the project’s downfall was humanity not investing in maintaining the one guy’s sanity who’s keeping it all running.

UN probably banned mental health care around the same time they made Ronaldinho play bloodsports

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
Could the pods now be potentially equated to Devola and Popola in Nier? Situation they were built for has gone wildly off the rails and they know they need to do something, but their ability to properly deal with it is just not up to task, so the whole situation is probably doomed to just tank itself.

The Dark Id posted:

9S isn’t nearly is on the ropes as 2B was

BOY, you wouldn’t believe what you’d miss if you do this...

Should that be "didn't do this"?

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

You know, I think Popola and Devola prime could have at least solved the Noir problem with a bit of lateral thinking and reverse psychology. Basically, you need to make sure Weiss wants to fuse, so:
Tell Nier and Weiss that the books have to fuse to cure Yonah and spin a story about Noir was separated from Weiss by an evil sorcerer or something. I mean, he's Albert Wesker, even a toddler would manage to bluff about Wesker being evil.
gently caress, add a spin about how Noir could risk ending being in charge of the fusion so Weiss is not suspicious when it starts.
Explain the plan and tell Shadowlord and Noir to ham it up on how Nier will never manage to fuse the books and save Yonah. Shadowlord may or may not agree but there's no way that Wesker wouldn't.

There, now you have a fused grimoire and a chance to complete project Gestalt.

Of course something else would go wrong because DrakeNier universe.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Zagglezig posted:

Could the pods now be potentially equated to Devola and Popola in Nier? Situation they were built for has gone wildly off the rails and they know they need to do something, but their ability to properly deal with it is just not up to task, so the whole situation is probably doomed to just tank itself.

Should that be "didn't do this"?

Uh, the Pods knew EXACTLY what to do: send Nines to Devopopola and let them handle it, since THEY would handle it correctly.

Oh wait.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

...! posted:

Uh, the Pods knew EXACTLY what to do: send Nines to Devopopola and let them handle it, since THEY would handle it correctly.

Oh wait.

Whoever is left after this story is going to make an even bigger pariah out of the Devola and Popola models.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

"The machines have started sharing data"
"Let's share data about it"

"9S is becoming increasingly unstable"
"Affirmative. But we are too stupid to do anything about it"

From the very beginning I never understood what a pod was exactly, but they're reminding me an awful lot of the machines lately.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

megane posted:

Somebody told Caim not to die alone and he took it in maybe a different way than they intended :unsmigghh:

Synthbuttrange posted:

Killing all of humanity is the least dying alone ever.

He did cause Death itself to die alone, he was a good boy that Caim.

Gotta feel a bit sad for Mrs. Death sat at home, wondering when Mr. Death will be home from work though.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
It occurs to me that the "black boxes are just repurposed machine cores" thing is sorta spoiled as early as the war sequence: when you hack as 9S its to destroy the cores, which makes them explode: the games are the same and you're still hacking to destroy a black core with the androids. Maybe not even intentional, but its a neat bit of continuity

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Josuke Higashikata posted:

He did cause Death itself to die alone, he was a good boy that Caim.

Gotta feel a bit sad for Mrs. Death sat at home, wondering when Mr. Death will be home from work though.

Not like Mr Death ever got a day off from work before that, with Caim around

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
Nier just won best soundtrack At the game awards. This makes me happy.

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
So I just had a thought about the Pods. Since they just about state their emotions or something like it, imagine if they were elcor from Mass Effect.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Tunicate posted:

At some point I'm expecting that the pods end up being the last remaining humans, with human brains in robot bodies

If you enjoy depression and anime, I suggest checking out Texhnolyze.

No reason.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

YOTC posted:

Nier just won best soundtrack At the game awards. This makes me happy.

But it lost in, like, the "narrative feels" category or whatever, and it didn't even get nominated for best direction. The soundtrack is insanely obviously one of the best videogame soundtracks ever though yeah.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It lost to a walking-simulator game I'd never loving heard of :mad:

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

hm, A2 and 9S are gonna converge on the same spot for a special prize! surely nothing can go wrong, right?

Right? :ohdear:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

UP AND ADAM posted:

But it lost in, like, the "narrative feels" category or whatever, and it didn't even get nominated for best direction. The soundtrack is insanely obviously one of the best videogame soundtracks ever though yeah.

Like the Dorito Pope show is ever going to give a niche Japanese game too many awards. It gave it the OST award because it's entirely undeniable that it should win that.

I've not played this in English but from what everyone says about it, it really ought to have won based on the strength of either JP or EN voice track, never mind including both and the audio direction is better than anything else I've played this year.

The biggest tragedy about the awards is that Yakuza 0 won jack poo poo though :(

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
After seeing the new Death Stranding I can't help but wonder if Yoko and Kojima ever hang out sometimes.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Gnome de plume posted:

After seeing the new Death Stranding I can't help but wonder if Yoko and Kojima ever hang out sometimes.

Yoko Taro just wanders into game offices drunk and starts scribbling notes on whiteboards

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LordAba posted:

If you enjoy depression and anime, I suggest checking out Texhnolyze.

No reason.

I am going to legit second this one. Texhnolyze is an underappreciated gem of masterful minimalist storytelling and soul crushing depression.

It was also the thing that finally made me stop watching anime for good once I was done with it.

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Gnome de plume posted:

A Kojima and Yoko Taro collaboration would be gorgeous, emotionally devastating and totally incomprehensible. No one would be quite sure what they'd just witnessed but they'd never forget it.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The biggest tragedy about the awards is that Yakuza 0 won jack poo poo though :(

This is basically how I felt about Tales of Berseria, even though I knew it had little chance of getting any nominations because Tales is still a bit too niche to have any sort of widespread popularity here in America (I understand it has a decent following in Japan at least, since obviously they're not put off by how super anime the series is, unlike a lot of Americans).

Still, at the very least I would've put Christina Vee against any of other VAs nominated for Best Performance. The sheer amount of range she did for main character Velvet was nothing short of amazing.

On-topic, the funniest part of the awards for me were people who bitched that Persona 5 should've also won best soundtrack over Automata (because apparently winning RPG of the Year wasn't enough acclaim). Now, I loved the HELL out of P5's primarily jazzy soundtrack; I'd rank most of the battle tracks evenly against Automata's (in fact Blooming Villain is probably my favorite single track of the year, even if most prefer Last Surprise or Rivers in the Desert), and most of the town and dungeon themes were great too, but overall Automata was better by virtue of not having many weak tracks, if any at all (P5 suffers badly in this area, mainly because of the lovely Mementos theme that's basically the same dozen notes played over and over for like 30% of the whole drat game, that poo poo got old REAL FAST!)

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 8, 2017

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
The resistance camp theme can get a bit too cloyingly languid after hearing it so much, though it's not bad by any stretch. And when you get the music box version it feels very nice.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It lost to a walking-simulator game I'd never loving heard of :mad:

edith finch is legit good

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Bufuman posted:

Now, I loved the HELL out of P5's primarily jazzy soundtrack; I'd rank most of the battle tracks evenly against Automata's (in fact Blooming Villain is probably my favorite single track of the year, even if most prefer Last Surprise or Rivers in the Desert)

Ehh, the only battle theme in P5 that I'd rate particularily high is Keeper of Lust, but then again, I did love the poo poo out of Digital Devil Saga's OST.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I can't remember a track on P5's OST that isn't Life Will Change or Rivers In The Desert (names might be wrong), I can remember a lot of P3's and P4's OST though. It's weak by Persona standards, never mind comparing it to an OST that doesn't have a single weak track like Automata's.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

The Saddest Rhino posted:

edith finch is legit good

I believe you, but that doesn't change the fact that I have never loving heard of it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I believe you, but that doesn't change the fact that I have never loving heard of it.

I think the point was more "don't let this color you against it, perhaps it should be picked up in a holiday sale"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
I'm mad that Kyle or Kira didn't even get nominated for best performance, Kyle especially

• Locked thread