Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

All of the replies stating that Rice did this as a cynical ploy to undermine Pelosi are, uh, interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

yeah, everyone on the forums just misunderstands your best friend JC :qq:

That wasn't what I was referring to but also applicable!

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

moller posted:

All of the replies stating that Rice did this as a cynical ploy to undermine Pelosi are, uh, interesting.

yeah i was curious about that. is there any history of her doing anything like this? why are these people accusing her of trying to steal pelosi's job or acting insincerely (other than they have to defend dems at all costs)

Nevvy Z posted:

That wasn't what I was referring to but also applicable!

ah, so you were defending the rapey prarie home companion jackass? exactly who was lying about what nevvy z? also, love that you felt compelled to defend JC still even after what an intolerable shithead he's been recently.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Condiv posted:

yeah i was curious about that. is there any history of her doing anything like this? why are these people accusing her of trying to steal pelosi's job or acting insincerely (other than they have to defend dems at all costs)

She doesn't have the pull or connections Pelosi does, there's zero chance of her actually trying to undermine her to stage a soft coup.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i think that was the first thunderdome post bad enough to warrant punishment, lol

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Grapplejack posted:

She doesn't have the pull or connections Pelosi does, there's zero chance of her actually trying to undermine her to stage a soft coup.

Figures. It's a shame that people would smear her like that just cause she's critical of the way this sexual assault stuff is being handled by the dems.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

ah, so you were defending the rapey prarie home companion jackass? exactly who was lying about what nevvy z? also, love that you felt compelled to defend JC still even after what an intolerable shithead he's been recently.

Nope, I don't give a gently caress about that guy. You seem to really want to get mad about this

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

Nope, I don't give a gently caress about that guy. You seem to really want to get mad about this

You care enough to defend him whenever peeps are dogpiling him, and you even said some of it was unjustified

Dunno why you feel compelled to stand up for shitheads.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

This is gonna sound crazy, but even when someone has done bad things I don't think it's productive or helpful to lie about other things they've done and pointing out when that is happening isn't a defense of the person.

which pig are you obliquely referring to nevvy z and who was lying

:allears:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Condiv posted:

You care enough to defend him whenever peeps are dogpiling him, and you even said some of it was unjustified

Oh I meant Keillor. I don't think I've defended JC since that time you were flipping out so I don't think there much more to say about it. You guys have covered his recent dumbness very well.

stone cold posted:

which pig are you obliquely referring to nevvy z and who was lying

:allears:

I mean, that photo isn't a grope no matter how much you insist it is...

It wasn't actually about that or anything in this thread, but some random argument I saw in the Trump thread. I just like it because it applies so well to 90% of arguments I see in D&D. Obviously Franken is gross the photo was gross and whether or not it's a "grope" is irrelevant to those things.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 1, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Nevvy Z posted:

It wasn't actually about anything in this thread, some random argument I saw in the Trump thread, I just like it because it applies so well to 90% of arguments I see in D&D. Like obviously Franken is gross the photo was gross and whether or not it's a "grope" is irrelevant to those things.

:thunk:

Cambridge Dictionary posted:

infml Someone who gropes someone else touches that person’s body without permission.

Oxford Dictionary posted:

informal with object Fondle (someone) for sexual pleasure roughly or clumsily, or without the person's consent.
‘I don't want strangers groping me’
‘they groped each other wildly in the taxi’

10 U.S. Code § 920 - Art. 120. Rape and sexual assault generally posted:

(b)Sexual Assault.—Any person subject to this chapter who—
(1) commits a sexual act upon another person by—
(A) threatening or placing that other person in fear;
(B) causing bodily harm to that other person;
(C) making a fraudulent representation that the sexual act serves a professional purpose; or
(D) inducing a belief by any artifice, pretense, or concealment that the person is another person;
(2) commits a sexual act upon another person when the person knows or reasonably should know that the other person is asleep, unconscious, or otherwise unaware that the sexual act is occurring; or
(3) commits a sexual act upon another person when the other person is incapable of consenting to the sexual act due to—
(A) impairment by any drug, intoxicant, or other similar substance, and that condition is known or reasonably should be known by the person; or
(B) a mental disease or defect, or physical disability, and that condition is known or reasonably should be known by the person;
is guilty of sexual assault and shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.
(c)Aggravated Sexual Contact.—
Any person subject to this chapter who commits or causes sexual contact upon or by another person, if to do so would violate subsection (a) (rape) had the sexual contact been a sexual act, is guilty of aggravated sexual contact and shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.
(d)Abusive Sexual Contact.—
Any person subject to this chapter who commits or causes sexual contact upon or by another person, if to do so would violate subsection (b) (sexual assault) had the sexual contact been a sexual act, is guilty of abusive sexual contact and shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.
(e)Proof of Threat.—
In a prosecution under this section, in proving that a person made a threat, it need not be proven that the person actually intended to carry out the threat or had the ability to carry out the threat.
(f)Defenses.—
An accused may raise any applicable defenses available under this chapter or the Rules for Court-Martial. Marriage is not a defense for any conduct in issue in any prosecution under this section.
(g)Definitions.—In this section:
(1)Sexual act.—The term “sexual act” means—
(A) contact between the penis and the vulva or anus or mouth, and for purposes of this subparagraph contact involving the penis occurs upon penetration, however slight; or
(B) the penetration, however slight, of the vulva or anus or mouth, of another by any part of the body or by any object, with an intent to abuse, humiliate, harass, or degrade any person or to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person.
(2)Sexual contact.—The term “sexual contact” means—
(A) touching, or causing another person to touch, either directly or through the clothing, the genitalia, anus, groin, breast, inner thigh, or buttocks of any person, with an intent to abuse, humiliate, or degrade any person; or
(B) any touching, or causing another person to touch, either directly or through the clothing, any body part of any person, if done with an intent to arouse or gratify the sexual desire of any person.
Touching may be accomplished by any part of the body.

Merriam Webster posted:

feel up
claims that her boss tried to grope her

Wiktionary posted:

3. To touch (another person) closely and (especially) sexually.
We've been together two weeks, and have just been kissing and groping, but no sex yet.

4. To intentionally and inappropriately touch another person, in such a manner as to make the contact appear accidental, for the purpose of one's sexual gratification.
That old man groped that girl on the train!

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

i mean it’s gross but it’s also definitely a grope dude

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Nevvy Z posted:

It wasn't actually about that or anything in this thread, but some random argument I saw in the Trump thread. I just like it because it applies so well to 90% of arguments I see in D&D. Obviously Franken is gross the photo was gross and whether or not it's a "grope" is irrelevant to those things.

gently caress off nevvy you creep

CassandraSupreme
Dec 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If you've ever worn flak armor, it's not like she could actually feel anything through that. It's a totemic act of abuse.

Now, you can argue that most forms of abuse are totemic and that's fine.

But what makes a grope a grope?

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

CassandraSupreme posted:

If you've ever worn flak armor, it's not like she could actually feel anything through that. It's a totemic act of abuse.

is this performance art or just dumb poo poo

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Now imagine if he hover handed instead.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

CassandraSupreme posted:

Assault vs battery. Either way he should resign.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 2, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

CassandraSupreme posted:

if u click here:

you’ll find a bunch of definitions of the word grope

you moron

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Who honestly gives a poo poo about the dumb photo and if it counts, there’s six different women asserting that he inappropriately touched them without their consent and did so knowingly. Even if the photo “didn’t count” there’s material allegations of misconduct besides the photo.

PS the photo was groping.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The 2017 Hellscape posted:

I know he touched a woman inappropriately without her consent, but was it really a grope?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Anyone who’s listened to Garrison Keillor’s Guy Noir skits on Prairie Home Companion, where Keillor basically plays himself and his character creeps on various femme fatale/innocent-type female characters, should be completely unsurprised by this news. Good riddance to one more weird jackass.

I mean all that means is he's playing a noir character

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

old noir much like garrison keillor is full of misogynistic creepiness

a good take

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

He needs the schtick, the man is the penultimate example of someone having, 'a face for radio.'

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

stone cold posted:

old noir much like garrison keillor is full of misogynistic creepiness

a good take

Unironically what I was saying but also noir can be good and idk I think someone essentially saying no poo poo he's a pest he likes noir is dumb as bricks

It's about half a step removed from horror movies being a reason to suspect someone of murder

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Unironically what I was saying but also noir can be good and idk I think someone essentially saying no poo poo he's a pest he likes noir is dumb as bricks

It's about half a step removed from horror movies being a reason to suspect someone of murder

counterpoint: how many old white dudes who are really into noir are genuinely okay dudes

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Penultimate means next to last.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

stone cold posted:

counterpoint: how many old white dudes who are really into noir are genuinely okay dudes

Congrats you're literally doing the horror movies is for murderers in waiting argument

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

stone cold posted:

lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

With this Franken news I'm disappointed that JC is on probation for a month because I'm curious whether we'd get a consistent doubling down that it's bad for him to resign his position of influence and power without a full investigation because now we'll never know exactly how many women he abused thanks to the influence and power of his position...or whether we'll get some doubleplusgood bellyfeel duckspeaking that the Party was always right to demand his resignation without the delay of an ethics investigation.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 8, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Congrats you're literally doing the horror movies is for murderers in waiting argument

i mean the key part of that sentence was “old white dudes” but sure

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

won’t somebody please think of the powerless old white men? who will speak for them? somebody, please?!?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

stone cold posted:

won’t somebody please think of the powerless old white men? who will speak for them? somebody, please?!?

yeah that's exactly what i'm saying, you're not doing that thing where you get a bug in your rear end because you said something dumb and got called on it and now everyone who argues against you is actually pro sex pest or whatever

eat poo poo steve

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

yeah that's exactly what i'm saying, you're not doing that thing where you get a bug in your rear end because you said something dumb and got called on it and now everyone who argues against you is actually pro sex pest or whatever

eat poo poo steve

:rolleyes:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
first they came for the noir movies, and i did not speak out, because [exhales smoke, pushes trillby down] that dame looked like trouble. trouble on two gorgeous legs, but trouble nonetheless.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!

moller posted:

Penultimate means next to last.

I don't have a facebook and shun mirrors for a reason. Gotta be the best at something! Also I don't read good and didn't realize you said next to last :-p

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

With this Franken news I'm disappointed that JC is on probation for a month because I'm curious whether we'd get a consistent doubling down that it's bad for him to resign his position of influence and power without a full investigation because now we'll never know exactly how many women he abused thanks to the influence and power of his position...or whether we'll get some doubleplusgood bellyfeel duckspeaking that the Party was always right to demand his resignation without the delay of an ethics investigation.

I only skimmed over what he said but this was David Simon's position on Twitter. I know Simon's closer to being on the right side of history than the wrong but he's wrong here.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

I think ending his "smash the patriarchy!!!" facade by eating a probation for creepily calling KM "bae" is about as peak JC as we're likely to ever see. Although him having the instinctive need to triangulate between the "retire bitch" and "you call that a grope???" positions is pretty up there as well.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

MooselanderII posted:

I think ending his "smash the patriarchy!!!" facade by eating a probation for creepily calling KM "bae" is about as peak JC as we're likely to ever see. Although him having the instinctive need to triangulate between the "retire bitch" and "you call that a grope???" positions is pretty up there as well.

I dunno, I think his classic stance of “economic populism = RACISM!!!” is still a largely untapped resource. That said, creeper JC is the best JC so far.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That feeling when you contort yourself into non-euclidean pretzel shapes to explain to those naive idealists why it's impossible, oh just impossible for the Democratic Party to do the right thing without months and months of interminable process and doubletalk until the whole thing falls out of the public eye to be forgotten, and then those damned Democrats go behind your back the very next week and do what the stupid idealists wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

VitalSigns posted:

That feeling when you contort yourself into non-euclidean pretzel shapes to explain to those naive idealists why it's impossible, oh just impossible for the Democratic Party to do the right thing without months and months of interminable process and doubletalk until the whole thing falls out of the public eye to be forgotten, and then those damned Democrats go behind your back the very next week and do what the stupid idealists wanted.

Dude, at least quote those posts instead of just shouting into the wind, Christ.

• Locked thread