Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s the moonroof control

Yeah, it's the IR receiver for the remote control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

I can't stop looking at that little rectangular panel way at the top of the bridge. Someone thought to put that there, what is it for? Does anyone know? I must know this

I was curious, so I asked Mike Okuda what it was

https://twitter.com/mikeokuda/status/938642639146049537

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yep, definitely auxilliary moonroof control. Nite Crew installed it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

McSpanky posted:

Yep, definitely auxilliary moonroof control. Nite Crew installed it.

You can't not post it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ApQrbhQp8

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Holy gently caress

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tighclops posted:

Holy gently caress

Mike Okuda answers stuff all the time on Twitter. He’s a cool dude.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

And this is why the internet is so loving awesome. :allears:

Back in the 80s who would have imagined you could just reach out to people involved in the production of your favorite tv show to get an answer to a question like that, and in minutes to boot?

poo poo, you'd just have to write a letter to Starlog and cross your fingers that in 3 months you might see something printed in there. Or stand up and ask a question at a con.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

It's been a good few years since I last watched DS9 and lately I've been watching semi-random episodes based on their netflix blurbs because there's so much of it I don't remember at all. My strategy has been to go through stuff from between seasons three and five-ish so I have a good chance of finding interesting episodic stuff instead of Dominion-heavy episodes that don't work so well in isolation. It's been a good time! I had completely forgotten about the one where a Bajoran from 200 years ago comes out of the wormhole and announces that he's the emissary, and the one where Garak's shop gets bombed, and the one where Rom forms a bar workers' union. So, I figured, hey, DS9 is just generally pretty universally good. Can't go wrong with DS9, yeah?

Last night I was browsing around and I saw one where the description was something like "the crew of the Defiant stumbles across a planet in the gamma quadrant that suddenly appears out of nowhere". Title was Meridian. Pretty intriguing. Let's see where this goes!

The scenes between Dax and this shithead just kept going on and on and ON. There was one segment that must have gone on for a good ten minutes that was the two of them wandering around Whatever Botanical Gardens in California talking about how exotic and beautiful the guy's planet was. And also they wouldn't stop eating each other's faces. The haste with which they escalated from horribly awkward dinner banter to full-on making out at the end of every conversation was just... jeez dude. And then the guy's planet disappears and Dax is so heartbroken that she can never speak about the experience ever again and the whole time I was sitting there thinking how the gently caress did this get made and wondering if I somehow missed this one first time round or I just really successfully blocked it out. Also the main cast's acting was just indescribably off for the whole thing, like they knew they were working with total dogshit. The b-plot with Quark trying to take a photo of Kira so Jeffrey Combs could gently caress her in the holosuites was marginally more entertaining, and the acting on that side was on par with an actually good episode, but the premise was still a weird sleazy mess.

I googled the ep after it was finally over and I guess I must have not been paying enough attention during the opening because everything suddenly made a lot more sense:

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Meridian is super boring. I usually watch the bad DS9 episodes, but I always skip Meridian. And The Muse.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

What do you even mean by "advanced" in this context, then.

A larger or more varied/complex genome. (See, this is why non-bio-scientists like me shouldn't write stories like Genesis either).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Big Word posted:

The scenes between Dax and this shithead just kept going on and on and ON.
Yeah way to totally destroy the Dax character concept.

:j: I may look like a green young woman on her first deep space assignment, but I'm actually a thousand-year-old worm who has lived a dozen lifetimes, I've seen it all and done it all, I've been a married man and woman, I'm wise in the ways of the world.
:spergin: You look as tasty as this fruit and as beautiful as this California day. Wanna bone?
:j: *swoons* Hey Benjamin I'm done exploring the galaxy and seeing new wonders, I'm going to waste this lifetime on this pedestrian planet with this boring awkward clod that I've known for 5 minutes. Might even waste all my lifetimes to come since there's a good chance I won't survive the weird dimensional shifts, but it's worth it for uh whats-his-name.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
"Now let us never speak of him again."

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates
https://twitter.com/daytimesnaps/status/938724226835582976

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bustin’ makes me feel good.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Meridian is awful for Dax as a character. It stands in stark contrast to the various times early in the show where Bashir is hitting on her and she just playfully brushes it off. Here, she goes right for this random guy as soon as they meet.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I can see how it got made - it's a concept episode, and 'Brigadoon in space' is an enduring and enticing concept that the writers room were probably excited about. But they really did not pull it off or justify it at all.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Meridian is also a prime example of how suspension of disbelief is a tricky thing. No one for a second believed Dax would leave the show forever over this romance. But potentially, that could be ignored, if the execution were strong enough.

By contrast, Kirk's relationship with Edith in "The City On The Edge Of Forever" is not much deeper, on paper -- but because it's executed better, we really believe that Kirk agonizes over his decision, even though there are tons of other one-episode romances throughout the series.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Big Word posted:

It's been a good few years since I last watched DS9 and lately I've been watching semi-random episodes based on their netflix blurbs because there's so much of it I don't remember at all. My strategy has been to go through stuff from between seasons three and five-ish so I have a good chance of finding interesting episodic stuff instead of Dominion-heavy episodes that don't work so well in isolation. It's been a good time! I had completely forgotten about the one where a Bajoran from 200 years ago comes out of the wormhole and announces that he's the emissary, and the one where Garak's shop gets bombed, and the one where Rom forms a bar workers' union. So, I figured, hey, DS9 is just generally pretty universally good. Can't go wrong with DS9, yeah?

Last night I was browsing around and I saw one where the description was something like "the crew of the Defiant stumbles across a planet in the gamma quadrant that suddenly appears out of nowhere". Title was Meridian. Pretty intriguing. Let's see where this goes!

The scenes between Dax and this shithead just kept going on and on and ON. There was one segment that must have gone on for a good ten minutes that was the two of them wandering around Whatever Botanical Gardens in California talking about how exotic and beautiful the guy's planet was. And also they wouldn't stop eating each other's faces. The haste with which they escalated from horribly awkward dinner banter to full-on making out at the end of every conversation was just... jeez dude. And then the guy's planet disappears and Dax is so heartbroken that she can never speak about the experience ever again and the whole time I was sitting there thinking how the gently caress did this get made and wondering if I somehow missed this one first time round or I just really successfully blocked it out. Also the main cast's acting was just indescribably off for the whole thing, like they knew they were working with total dogshit. The b-plot with Quark trying to take a photo of Kira so Jeffrey Combs could gently caress her in the holosuites was marginally more entertaining, and the acting on that side was on par with an actually good episode, but the premise was still a weird sleazy mess.

I googled the ep after it was finally over and I guess I must have not been paying enough attention during the opening because everything suddenly made a lot more sense:

Now watch Profit and Lace.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Astroman posted:

And this is why the internet is so loving awesome. :allears:

Back in the 80s who would have imagined you could just reach out to people involved in the production of your favorite tv show to get an answer to a question like that, and in minutes to boot?

poo poo, you'd just have to write a letter to Starlog and cross your fingers that in 3 months you might see something printed in there. Or stand up and ask a question at a con.

I dunno. James Cawley wound up becoming friends with William Ware Theiss just by calling Paramount and asking to be put through to him.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I dunno. James Cawley wound up becoming friends with William Ware Theiss just by calling Paramount and asking to be put through to him.

True, but that was one in a million. Now, any of us can do it!

poo poo, I still get tickled when I see Big Finish Doctor Who writers posting on forums and talking about their work. :allears:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, uh, this Tarantino Trek may not be a fever dream after all?
http://deadline.com/2017/12/quentin-tarantino-star-trek-r-rating-mark-l-smith-the-revenant-drew-pearce-lindsay-beer-jj-abrams-1202222161/

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Everything's a fever dream in Hollywood until it reaches post.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

quote:

The film will most certainly go where no Star Trek has gone before: Tarantino has required it to be R rated, and Paramount and Abrams agreed to that condition.

I love Tarantino but i have zero interest in this. This smacks of desperation of Paramount's part. Though it will make Discovery look like Real Star Trek I suppose. :sigh:

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Watching Lonely Among Us. Data smoking a pipe and talking like Sherlock Holmes is the greatest thing this show has done (so far)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Windows 98 posted:

Watching Lonely Among Us. Data smoking a pipe and talking like Sherlock Holmes is the greatest thing this show has done (so far)

That was the first good episode imo.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Astroman posted:

I love Tarantino but i have zero interest in this. This smacks of desperation of Paramount's part. Though it will make Discovery look like Real Star Trek I suppose. :sigh:

Tarantino is apparently actually a trek fan so he might actually make a trek instead of... what ever Discovery is supposed to be.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Baronjutter posted:

Tarantino is apparently actually a trek fan so he might actually make a trek instead of... what ever Discovery is supposed to be.

I could perhaps see a down and dirty take on the Dominion War doing well.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
They sure don’t care about gravity very much just beaming down to places all the loving time without any questions

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The use of the transporter is Star Trek is often insanely reckless.

Like tons of times they'll beam over to a damaged or ancient ship without wearing space suits even though the atmosphere could fail at any moment.

In an episode of voyager I watched recently they beamed to a mining ship that they knew was full of toxic gas in some places that could flood everything at any time and no one wore a space suit :psyduck: and of course someone got horribly injured from exposure to toxic gas I forget who.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Astroman posted:

25 years ago, could you imagine the franchise going up in smoke like this? Even a few short years ago, we could still have hope. But I'll say the same thing here that I said about Discovery as we learned more about it: the name Star Trek is no longer enough by itself to get me in the door.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Quentin Tarantino presents

Replicator Dogs

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

VitalSigns posted:

The use of the transporter is Star Trek is often insanely reckless.

Like tons of times they'll beam over to a damaged or ancient ship without wearing space suits even though the atmosphere could fail at any moment.

In an episode of voyager I watched recently they beamed to a mining ship that they knew was full of toxic gas in some places that could flood everything at any time and no one wore a space suit :psyduck: and of course someone got horribly injured from exposure to toxic gas I forget who.

Yeah but I don't think anyone has ever worn a space suit under any circumstance, at least not in TNG.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Yeah but I don't think anyone has ever worn a space suit under any circumstance, at least not in TNG.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure space suits ever show up in DS9 or VOY either.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Space sits made for First Contact show up in Voyager afterwards. 3 of them. Never in TNG till the movie.

ENTs were good. There's a little guy welding in space in the DS9 later seasons opening credits.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
e: Yeah, what he said ^

And yet they're used several times on ENT.

For TNG they do use EVA suits in the First Contact movie.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I can think of at least 2 examples in TOS off the top of my head, not to mention the first 2 TOS films. In TAS they have personal force field projection belts.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

25 years ago, could you imagine the franchise going up in smoke like this? Even a few short years ago, we could still have hope. But I'll say the same thing here that I said about Discovery as we learned more about it: the name Star Trek is no longer enough by itself to get me in the door.

I have no interest in a Tarantino Star Trek up front because it sounds like it fits about as well as John Wayne playing Genghis Khan but if he "gets it" it may end up being the only worthwhile entry in a decade

I mean being a fan is no guarantee but if he understands what made people like TOS then it may be he gets to use his clout to force through a decent Trek movie out of the system

That said, I've said it before: Star Trek is a living dead official brand and the soul of what made it any good now lives in other projects

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jeb! Repetition posted:

They had them, the supersoldier from The Hunted stole one in order to trick the crew into thinking he'd left the ship. But I don't think we ever saw him wearing it.

By the Voyager episode I'm talking about (Juggernaut) we'd already seen the crew wearing them in other episodes where it made sense:

but they recklessly go without them in that later episode to a damaged ship full of poison gas because the writers needed the threat of decompression and poison gas to create tension.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Tighclops posted:

I have no interest in a Tarantino Star Trek up front because it sounds like it fits about as well as John Wayne playing Genghis Khan but if he "gets it" it may end up being the only worthwhile entry in a decade

I mean being a fan is no guarantee but if he understands what made people like TOS then it may be he gets to use his clout to force through a decent Trek movie out of the system

That said, I've said it before: Star Trek is a living dead official brand and the soul of what made it any good now lives in other projects

I'm going to give this the same chance I gave Discovery: that is, I'm not going to spend money sight unseen. The R rating is just too nebulous and it's almost by itself a dealbreaker. It depends a lot on what in particular gives it the rating, but none of the possibilities are enticing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Finally we get to learn the history of Starfleet’s sister organization: Starfeet.