Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
The one show that actually displays sed and has better tech literacy than "I made a GUI in Visual Basic to track their IP" and you're all upset that they used cat instead of passing a path directly to sed.

Gboard is also generally good and objectively better than the built in iOS keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

The one show that actually displays sed and has better tech literacy than "I made a GUI in Visual Basic to track their IP" and you're all upset that they used cat instead of passing a path directly to sed.

who’s upset? why are you upset?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

if you are on t-mobile dial in #662# to activate scam blocking

http://explore.t-mobile.com/callprotection

cut at least 50% off the volume of poo poo I was getting

why is this opt-in?

Subjunctive posted:

who’s upset? why are you upset?

no, no, it's "lol, y u mad tho?"

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

CommunistPancake posted:

since they are styled differently, they know they're separate statements, so your grammar concerns are of no use here

it’s styled inconsistently because their web designers realize “Install in Chrome It’s free” is too much for a download button and that’s the extent they’re allowed to change it

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

infernal machines posted:

why is this opt-in?

I think carriers aren’t allowed to interfere with call connection except by explicit request of the customer. IIRC it was some work to go from “customer can block specified numbers” to “customer can block based on list we maintain”.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Grammar Fuckup Megathread

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Subjunctive posted:

I think carriers aren’t allowed to interfere with call connection except by explicit request of the customer. IIRC it was some work to go from “customer can block specified numbers” to “customer can block based on list we maintain”.

Oh, right "common-carrier"

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
guys hold up there was a tv show that did something stupid

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

false-positives happen as well, especially now that scammers often spoof legit numbers to get around systems like this. a couple of days ago my mom called me complaining that her friend, who has had the same home phone number since the early 80s, would try calling her but her phone wouldn't ring. i turned off the scam blocker but left scam id turned on and sure enough her friend's legit number showed up labeled "scam likely". i reported it and they fixed it quickly, but it does happen.

e: someone in either this thread or the tech bubble one said they started getting angry "take me off your list!" calls from old people after a telemarketer spoofed their number

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 7, 2017

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

generally still nothing like some ad-hoc piping stuff over ssh for making one feel one still has some nerd credentials

:hehe: tar -cf - directory | pv -brt | ssh host 'tar -xf -'

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The_Franz posted:

e: someone in either this thread or the tech bubble one said they started getting angry "take me off your list!" calls from old people after a telemarketer spoofed their number

yup that's why they fake the area code and exchange, because the consequence for their actions becomes someone else's problem

not saying cold-calling telemarketers should hang but…

maybe cold-calling telemarketers should hang

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

if you are on t-mobile dial in #662# to activate scam blocking

http://explore.t-mobile.com/callprotection

cut at least 50% off the volume of poo poo I was getting

:worship:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
some medicare fraud was using a number similar to my work number as their call in line to get FREE MONEY! I got calls from people who were upset when I told them they both dialed the wrong number and the thing they were dialing was a scam. Like they refused to believe the government wasn't going to give them free money.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The_Franz posted:

false-positives happen as well, especially now that scammers often spoof legit numbers to get around systems like this. a couple of days ago my mom called me complaining that her friend, who has had the same home phone number since the early 80s, would try calling her but her phone wouldn't ring. i turned off the scam blocker but left scam id turned on and sure enough her friend's legit number showed up labeled "scam likely". i reported it and they fixed it quickly, but it does happen.

lol yeah I had some Indian guy call me screaming "WHY YOU CALL MY NUMBER" a couple dozen times because the spammers spoofed mine to make some of their calls. That was a fun 2 minutes of my life

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the only scam calls i ever get are the really robotic "oh we heard you've been involved in a car accident"

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
not sure its a great idea but kinda cute i guess

https://twitter.com/evilsocket/status/938834703033032704

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

I cannot believe you are not answering these totally legitimate calls from the vacation rewards center

for me it's been "IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR FEDERAL STUDENT LOAN"

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Truga posted:

i use redundant cat pretty often, especially with awk/grep etc, because they take argument first file list second and it's annoying to edit quickly on the command line, whereas cat <files> | grep blabla isn't since you don't need to move the cursor around first.

Honestly same. Especially if I expect to make multiple queries with grep.

re scam calls: I occasionally get the "*pause until it hears a person on the other line* Oh? Hi! Sorry I was having trouble with my headset. You have won a free..."

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 7, 2017

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I get so many scam calls on my number that's from the other side of the country. I got my first one to my (almost local) Google Voice number this week, too. Oh boy!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Endless scam calls on the desk phone and my cell phone.

Boss registered two new domains and didn't pay for the whois privacy thing, desk phone blew up.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I just put the corp sales # into whois

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/HaifeiLi/status/938842714342174720

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2017-11937

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shaggar posted:

I just put the corp sales # into whois

so you WANT to have to deal with endless amounts of bullshit software and services

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if they can navigate the phone tree to find me then they deserve to talk to me.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

cheese-cube posted:

don't all of those third-party keyboards record all your keystrokes or some poo poo? last time i looked at one (switftkey maybe) it said it records errything and you can't turn that off

all your posts are in the cloud telling marketers about you, and you know what they say?

your gay

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

weedsec, or maybe don't store your users' photos and id scans in a publicly browseable folder, and who the gently caress has virtual directory listing enabled in tyool 2017 anyway?

e: lol

quote:

The information that you give us is absolutely safe with us. We will never rent, sell, share or otherwise disclose your personal information to third parties. We might contact you from time to time regarding your purchase or the service you have subscribed to us through email.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
yeah throw the files in an s3 bucket instead. nobody will find them there.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Lol av

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://twitter.com/i41nbeer/status/938048288351293440

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

good to hear the beer research team are still going strong

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The_Franz posted:

that was me, i still get them, and that's basically the only kind of random calls that actually leave messages these days :allears:

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

weedsec, or maybe don't store your users' photos and id scans in a publicly browseable folder, and who the gently caress has virtual directory listing enabled in tyool 2017 anyway?

e: lol

Directory listing I think is still the default for Apache on RHEL7, but I'm not sure about Debian or Ubuntu. So it's a pretty easy mistake to make if you install your lovely LAMP stack from snack overflow or whatever.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
lmao if you don't keep your work phone unplugged so you can get some loving work done/poo poo post uninterrupted

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ErIog posted:

Directory listing I think is still the default for Apache on RHEL7, but I'm not sure about Debian or Ubuntu. So it's a pretty easy mistake to make if you install your lovely LAMP stack from snack overflow or whatever.

they're using "LiteSpeed Web Server"

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

they're using "LiteSpeed Web Server"

I would have checked, but lol I'm not going to visit that website from work.

Edit: Looks like directory listing is the default for LiteSpeed maybe too. I dunno, I've never used it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

lmao if you don't keep your work phone unplugged so you can get some loving work done/poo poo post uninterrupted

we don't even get phones at work, the only people who do are sales and recruiting and the execs

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Truga posted:

i use redundant cat pretty often, especially with awk/grep etc, because they take argument first file list second and it's annoying to edit quickly on the command line, whereas cat <files> | grep blabla isn't since you don't need to move the cursor around first.

doing it that way you lose the ability to have it show which files have the lines with the match also i discovered 'ag' a couple years ago and it's a lot better than grep

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
ag | tongs

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
ag | peanuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

• Locked thread