Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Ya shes twerkin. She also has giant boob cannons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Carth Dookie posted:

:stare:

Dat iron rear end doe.

Sigh....

BUNS OF STEEL!

Jesus, it's the obvious take...

Edit: phone posting and it got auto corrected to BUMS, for our allies across the pond, I guess.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I remember that book too, it was in the primary school library. It's very clever thing that it does.

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rq2tkepYHM

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Ya shes twerkin. She also has giant boob cannons

What the fuuuuuuuuuuck

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

What the fuuuuuuuuuuck

Put yourself in St.Ronnies brain for a sec....

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Spacman posted:

Put yourself in St.Ronnies brain for a sec....

Not for too long, otherwise you’ll start eating jellybeans as you think fondly about re-enlisting.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

Not for too long, otherwise you’ll start eating jellybeans as you think fondly about re-enlisting.

Dude, that book is a trip but I remember when the Society of Friends came to school. Quakers are pretty cool people, bar Nixon, and I have a lot of time for them. They gave each student a book called 'First and Final War', I still have this and can scan it if ya want. It is a book designed to let kids under 10 know what nuclear war is . It goes through the science and then lays out the horrifying truth.

It made 10 year old me go 'I'm not non-violent like you so I have to be a part of this machine to switch it off... Mindfuck of a book, 'Hey, lets plot a 1mt airburst over your nearest target and calculate deaths from prompt radiation then fallout. Cool, write a story about you family killing your mates because they came to your provisioned bunker!'

But it really leads you into the mindset and before you know it you are doming your friend who had radiation sickness and happily murdering farmers whose food you want.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 25, 2017

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Spacman posted:

Dude, that book is a trip but I remember when the Society of Friends came to school. Quakers are pretty cool people, bar Nixon, and I have a lot of time for them. They gave each student a book called 'First and Final War', I still have this and can scan it if ya want. It is a book designed to let kids under 10 know what nuclear war is . It goes through the science and then lays out the horrifying truth.

It made 10 year old me go 'I'm not non-violent like you so I have to be a part of this machine to switch it off... Mindfuck of a book, 'Hey, lets plot a 1mt airburst over your nearest target and calculate deaths from prompt radiation then fallout. Cool, write a story about you family killing your mates because they came to your provisioned bunker!'

But it really leads you into the mindset and before you know it you are doming your friend who had radiation sickness and happily murdering farmers whose food you want.

I read Command and Control a while back, I think I'm good on other books about nuclear horror :stonklol:

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

Icon Of Sin posted:

I read Command and Control a while back, I think I'm good on other books about nuclear horror :stonklol:

I have too, the American Experience episode pales in comparison, just imagine that book aimed at a 10 year old kid and explained lovingly by a group of people who dont believe in violence.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Argies had it coming.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

You laugh but some little kid out there had a gross sexual awakening to this image

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Rest of series pls

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I wonder if she can make her booty go CLANG!

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
People who write "Noone" are idiots

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

You laugh but some little kid out there had a gross sexual awakening to this image

And that kid was Paul Ryan.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

What on earth is the title of that book, I need to buy a copy immediately.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hexyflexy posted:

What on earth is the title of that book, I need to buy a copy immediately.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Actually you were right on the money!

Edit: The author also wrote When the Wind Blows, which resulted in a harrowing film of the same name, both about the world undergoing nuclear holocaust, so topical!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

If the DeviantArt thread has taught me anything, this is 100% accurate.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Carth Dookie posted:

If the DeviantArt thread has taught me anything, this is 100% accurate.

I refuse to believe some kid first got hard after thinking about an iron maggies' tits. Oh god that did happen didn't it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Thank you, I have a new most Cold War logic thing.

I don't know, unmanned nuclear-powered plane with unshielded neutron reactor is up there:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supersonic_Low_Altitude_Missile aka "peak gently caress the earth"

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
That feels like the logical progression of that old joke about a bullet being addressed to a person, a MK19 going "gently caress you and everyone around you", etc.

SLAM: "gently caress your whole planet."

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
Also note that one of the reasons for it being cancelled was it was considered way too crazy by the guys who wanted to build harbours in Alaska by setting off multiple nukes.

E: Also, the Soviets had a test centre for their version of this at Semipalatinsk and the same guys who had no issue irraditaing everyone downwind from the joint, because gently caress moving peasants because of fallout from bomb tests, said: 'this is a really bad idea'

Spacman fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Nov 28, 2017

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't know if people today really take nuclear holocaust as seriously as they used to. This was considered a perfectly valid children's book in the '80s

I've been reading a lot of stuff I never knew before on how hosed up things have been over the last century, especially with Russia. If we aren't siding with the rebels in their civil war at the beginning of the last century, we're continuously loving with them in other ways. Everything I knew as a kid back then was they were the crazy ones and we didn't go off the deep end either. Shows what I know.

Let's win the hearts and minds of the people of Vietnam by forcibly removing them, forcing them to work, and charge them for materials. What could possibly go wrong?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Hamlet_Program

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

quote:

May 8, 1963, marked the 2,527th birthday of the Buddha, and a group of religious followers gathered in the village of Hue to celebrate. Protest was in the air. Buddhists were being repressed by President Diem’s autocratic Catholic regime. The villagers of Hue had been told not to fly Buddhist flags, but they did anyway. The mood was festive, and a large crowd of nearly ten thousand people had assembled near the Hue radio station when eight armored vehicles and several police cars arrived on the scene in a show of force. Police ordered revelers to disperse, but they refused. Police used fire hoses and tear gas, still with no effect. Someone threw a grenade onto the porch of the radio station, killing nine people, including four children. Fourteen others were severely injured. A huge protest followed. The event became a catalyst for people across South Vietnam to express widespread resentment against President Diem and his brother, Ngo Dinh Nhu, who was head of gathered around him, including New York Times reporter David Halberstam. Two other monks, each carrying a five-gallon can of gasoline, walked up to Thich Quang Duc and poured gasoline on him. One of them handed Thich Quang Duc a single match. He struck the match, touched it to his robe, and set himself on fire.

David Halberstam described the devastation he felt watching the monk catch fire and burn to death right in front of him on the Saigon street. “Flames were coming from a human being; his body was slowly withering and shriveling up, his head blackening and charring,” Halberstam wrote. “In the air was the smell of burning flesh; human beings burn surprisingly quickly. Behind me I could hear the sobbing of the Vietnamese who were now gathering. I was too shocked to cry, too confused to take notes or ask questions, too bewildered even to think…. As he burned he never moved a muscle, never uttered a sound, his outward composure in sharp contrast to the wailing people around him.”

During the self-immolation, somehow the monk was able to remain perfectly still. He did not writhe or scream or show any indication of pain. Even as he was consumed by fire, Thich Quang Duc sat upright with his legs folded in the lotus position. His body burned for about ten minutes until finally the charred remains toppled over backwards.

Journalist Malcolm Brown, the Saigon bureau chief for the Associated Press, took a photograph of the burning monk, and this image was printed in newspapers around the world. People everywhere expressed outrage, and overnight President Diem became an international pariah.

But instead of showing empathy or capitulating to the Buddhists’ wishes, President Diem, together with his brother Ngo Dinh Nhu and Nhu’s wife, the glamorous Madame Nhu, began to slander the Buddhists. Madame Nhu went on national TV in pearls and a black dress, fanning herself with a folding fan, to say that Buddhist leaders had gotten Thich Quang Duc drunk and set him up for suicide as a political ploy.

“What have the Buddhist leaders done?” asked Madame Nhu on television. “The only thing they have done, they have barbecued one of their monks whom they have intoxicated…. Even that barbecuing was done, not even with self-sufficient means because they used imported gasoline.” By the end of summer, the crisis was full-blown. The White House advised President Diem to make peace with the Buddhists immediately. Diem ignored the request and instead, in August 1963, declared martial law.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I always wondered about the circumstances of the monk's self-immolation. Now I know. Holy poo poo.

Edit: that is, the actual circumstances. I'd just heard it was to "protest the Vietnam war" and that seemed too simplistic. Sure enough.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 29, 2017

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Man If I learned one thing from Ken Burns doco it's that Madam Nhu was a huuuuuuuuuge bitch

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

chemosh6969 posted:

Let's win the hearts and minds of the people of Vietnam by forcibly removing them, forcing them to work, and charge them for materials. What could possibly go wrong?

I can't remember if I learned this here or in the cold war thread but the program was literally run by a communist spy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ph%E1%BA%A1m_Ng%E1%BB%8Dc_Th%E1%BA%A3o

quote:

Colonel Phạm Ngọc Thảo (IPA: Hanoi: [fâˀm ŋoˀk tʰa᷉ɔ], Saigon: [fə̂ˀm ŋoˀk tʰə᷉ɔ]), also known as Albert Thảo (1922–1965), was a communist sleeper agent of the Viet Minh (and, later, of the Vietnam People's Army) who infiltrated the Army of the Republic of Vietnam and also became a major provincial leader in South Vietnam. In 1962, he was made overseer of Ngô Đình Nhu's Strategic Hamlet Program in South Vietnam

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Man If I learned one thing from Ken Burns doco it's that Madam Nhu was a huuuuuuuuuge bitch

This.

Also Karl Marlantes is the living breathing personification of pissed off Vietnam Veterans.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:

quote:

On 2 November 1963, Diệm and Nhu were assassinated in a coup d'état led by General Dương Văn Minh (Armed Forces Council) with the understanding that the United States would not intervene. At the time of the assassinations, Madame Nhu was in Beverly Hills, California, traveling with her 18-year-old daughter, Ngô Đình Lệ Thủy.

Of course that's where she was.

And naturally she made her new home in France.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chemosh6969 posted:

Well, plenty, when the guy in charge of implementing the program is an agent for the Viet Minh.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7i7civ/dishonorable_discharge/
Other Civil MattersDishonorable Discharge
(self.legaladvice)
submitted 1 day ago * by Pixxelized

quote:

Due to circumstance, I will be retracting my enlistment to the Army National Guard. The person in charge of my discharge has told me that he is going to Dishonorably Discharge me if I do not ship off to basic training. I know that this discharge is meant for those that commit the most serious of crimes while in the military and that I will be considered a criminal for the rest of my life if this happens. Is there anyway for me to avoid this? If not, is there anything I can do to lessen the severity of its impact on me? Thanks for any help!
Edit: I live in Nevada. Sorry locationbot. Edit 2: Thank you for all the responses! There was a lot of conflicting information, but I think I know the best course of action for my situation. Thanks again!

lol recruiters are scum

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Has anybody told him that literally nothing will happen to him if he doesn't ship?

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Yeah in reality the recruiter is in more trouble than him, and people will forget in a day or two anyways and be mad about something else.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Naked Bear posted:

Has anybody told him that literally nothing will happen to him if he doesn't ship?

Maybe JAG types can chime in, but that might not be quite true with the Guard. Obviously the DD statement is a stupid and blatant lie, but on the other hand as soon as you swear in you're effectively assigned to your Guard unit.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 8, 2017

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Oh yeah there is that, I forgot. Guard and reserve start immediately. Still wouldn't push for a dishonorable lol. Entry level separation, no big deal.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If I recall correctly his unit can push for a BCD if they have a hate boner for the guy but it's more likely to be a general/possible OTH with a 6 month reenlistment bar.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

If I recall correctly his unit can push for a BCD if they have a hate boner for the guy but it's more likely to be a general/possible OTH with a 6 month reenlistment bar.

BCD still needs a court-martial.
Even an OTH would require a seps board hearing where the guy would have the right to counsel and a CG would have to sign off on it.
http://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/AR135-178_Web_Final.pdf

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
The Guard ain't gonna do poo poo. They have more things to worry about than a non-shipper to BCT.

If for no other reason than it takes too much effort to do anything other than just process him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Your Battle Buddy posted:

Oh yeah there is that, I forgot. Guard and reserve start immediately. Still wouldn't push for a dishonorable lol. Entry level separation, no big deal.

my buddy ditched basic for a year before showing up and saying “ok im ready now”

he was soldier of the year and reenlisted