Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Stunt Rock posted:

Finally we get to learn the history of Starfleet’s sister organization: Starfeet.

I hear klingon women have spikes on their feet. :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I mean it's not like Trek right now is great and might be hosed up. Beyond was all right but you have to go back to First Contact for another one worth watching. The worst that can happen is it's another bad movie in a series that has several.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Kill Will

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

P'tak Fiction

Natural Borg Killers

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Inglorious Targs

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
“Do you see a sign outside this Starbase that says Dead Klingon Storage?”

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

At least the concept art is promising.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Stunt Rock posted:

At least the concept art is promising.

And it adhere's to rod n berry's vision!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Djeordi Unchained

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

The unreleased sequel to Roots.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Django, his chains undone!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Quentin Tarantino presents

Replicator Dogs

please specify the number and breed

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

VitalSigns posted:

The use of the transporter is Star Trek is often insanely reckless.

Like tons of times they'll beam over to a damaged or ancient ship without wearing space suits even though the atmosphere could fail at any moment.

In an episode of voyager I watched recently they beamed to a mining ship that they knew was full of toxic gas in some places that could flood everything at any time and no one wore a space suit :psyduck: and of course someone got horribly injured from exposure to toxic gas I forget who.

IS THERE AIR???

YOU DON’T KNOW!!!

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

VitalSigns posted:

The use of the transporter is Star Trek is often insanely reckless.

Like tons of times they'll beam over to a damaged or ancient ship without wearing space suits even though the atmosphere could fail at any moment.

In an episode of voyager I watched recently they beamed to a mining ship that they knew was full of toxic gas in some places that could flood everything at any time and no one wore a space suit :psyduck: and of course someone got horribly injured from exposure to toxic gas I forget who.

OBVIOUSLY, they use the life support belts from the animated series, the technology now being so commonplace they don't even mention it!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Come to think of it, I'm not sure space suits ever show up in DS9 or VOY either.

There's an episode of Voyager where Paris and Torres spend the entire episode hanging in empty space in spacesuits after their shuttle blows up.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The Hateful Weyoun 8

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Oh yeah, there's also that episode of Voyager where Paris and Kim go to the "Demon" planet in space suits. As I recall, they somehow survived several hours on the planet after running out of oxygen, passing out, and being exposed to the planet's toxic atmosphere. And I'm talking about the real Paris and Kim, not their liquid-metal duplicates in that episode.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

My name is V’Ruck and I like to gently caress.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baronjutter posted:

Tarantino is apparently actually a trek fan so he might actually make a trek instead of... what ever Discovery is supposed to be.

We already know what happens when we get a movie written by a huge Trek fan.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The Hateful Weyoun 8

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

In the old TNG tech manual, Rick Sternbach discussed a few times that in the first few years show worked under the principle of "if a set or prop isn't required for an episode, it will not be built, even if it would be important to the crew in-universe." TNG might have gone without an Engineering or shuttlecraft set if they hadn't been explicitly written into the show for "Encounter at Farpoint" and "Coming of Age" respectively. This is the main reason why we never saw EVA suits or lifeboats in TNG.

As for why the crew never seem to use EVA suits in situations where hazard protection and a portable air supply would actually be useful, I suppose it's a combination of the main actors not wanting to wear uncomfortable, bulky suits for a long shoot and a desire to see the actors on the screen without their faces and silhouettes being masked by a suit.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Patrick Stewart has said he would absolutely be involved in Tarantino's Trek if asked:

“People are always saying to me, ‘Will you be Jean-Luc Picard again?’ And I cannot think that would be possible, but there are ways in which something like that might come about. But one of my dreams is to work with Tarantino. I admire his work so much, and to be in a Tarantino film would give me so much satisfaction. So, if he is going to direct something to do with Star Trek and there was the possibility of dear old Jean-Luc showing up again and doing that for Mr Tarantino, I would embrace it.
The one thing that characterizes all of his movies is that frame by frame, it always challenges, always demands your attention, always demands a very kind of open and generous response to what he does. I also love his sense of humor as a filmmaker. So yes, he would be my first choice.”

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Marshal Radisic posted:

In the old TNG tech manual, Rick Sternbach discussed a few times that in the first few years show worked under the principle of "if a set or prop isn't required for an episode, it will not be built, even if it would be important to the crew in-universe." TNG might have gone without an Engineering or shuttlecraft set if they hadn't been explicitly written into the show for "Encounter at Farpoint" and "Coming of Age" respectively. This is the main reason why we never saw EVA suits or lifeboats in TNG.

TNG also got its new fancy shuttlecraft because it came from The Final Frontier's budget.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well you can't argue with sir JL Pipes

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Color me not at all surprised that PStew loves Tarantino

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

skasion posted:

Color me not at all surprised that PStew loves Tarantino

Dude was "My name is John Luck and I'm here to gently caress" levels of horndog on the TNG set, it's not surprising in the least.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't think that an R rated Star Trek is a bad idea or unworkable, but a Tarantino movie may not be the best fit. I don't know how his style and type would fit into the universe. Star Wars perhaps, because the criminal underworld is well defined and central to certain aspects of the universe.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Y'all are some joyless nerds. I say bring on Sam Jackson in Guinan get up.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Star Trek XIV: Harry Mudd and the Orion Syndicate Blow poo poo up and shout the N word at someone's feet

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The Bloop posted:

Star Trek XIV: Harry Mudd and the Orion Syndicate Blow poo poo up and shout the N word at someone's feet

Yeah I’ll take it

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
If it's Tarantino, it's gonna be a remake of that TNG episode with the wormhole. Only difference is Lloyd Brawn's foot massage of Troi is 76% of the runtime.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Literally the only thing that interests me about a potential Tarantino Trek is the possibility of Morricone doing the score.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Marshal Radisic posted:

As for why the crew never seem to use EVA suits in situations where hazard protection and a portable air supply would actually be useful, I suppose it's a combination of the main actors not wanting to wear uncomfortable, bulky suits for a long shoot and a desire to see the actors on the screen without their faces and silhouettes being masked by a suit.

DS9 only started using the grey uniforms after First Contact had them made, Voyager only started using the EVA suits after first contact, same with the phaser rifles, and DS9 didn't use those white-shouldered dress uniforms until after Insurrection.

It's usually too expensive to make a new one-off uniform type like that, so it's left to the big movies to make new stuff and the shows to adopt them.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'd love to see some Star Trek films and series that are just set in the universe, and aren't rehashing the same Federation Starship themes or directly rehashing prior films.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Instant Sunrise posted:

so it's left to the big movies to make new stuff and the shows to adopt them.

Unless it's Generations. :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

FuturePastNow posted:

I'd love to see some Star Trek films and series that are just set in the universe, and aren't rehashing the same Federation Starship themes or directly rehashing prior films.

Yeah. I don't see why it'd have to be a crime movie but you could easily do a Tarantino criminal Star Trek movie if you just put it outside the Federation. We already saw the edges of that world in DS9.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
A movie about the Bajoran resistance. "You all owe me one hundred Cardassian scalps."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Inglorious bastards but scalpin' spoon heads would work, but it wouldn't ever happen because who knows what a Bajoran is? That's some DS9 poo poo. But the federation wasn't involved in the resistance, so no kirk, no picard, no enterprise, no studio support.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Holy gently caress what if its a Eugenics War movie

or just someone punching Daniels in the face over and over again while they shift through differnt timelines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Bloop posted:

Holy gently caress what if its a Eugenics War movie

Nick Meyer is working on an undisclosed Khan project (probably a book), which almost certainly covers that.