Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

teagone posted:

For those of you familiar with the manga, the trailer for Battle Angel Alita drops tomorrow:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeUOV6JpzgI

My expectations are low, but I'm happy it finally got made. Just wish Cameron helmed it like he said he would :(

When the gently caress did this get announced with RR directing? I know the idea is like a decade old but I feel like this trailer came out of nowhere. It’s crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Skeezy posted:

When the gently caress did this get announced with RR directing? I know the idea is like a decade old but I feel like this trailer came out of nowhere. It’s crazy.

It was announced a little over 2 years ago that Cameron chose Rodriguez to direct. Tracked down my post from ~2 years ago in the Battle Angel thread in ADTRW:

teagone posted:

James Cameron has hired Robert Rodriguez to direct the live action adaptation of Battle Angel http://geektyrant.com/news/james-cameron-hires-robert-rodriguez-to-direct-alita-battle-angel

Not sure how I feel about this...

[edit] As long as RR manages to make all the Panzer Kunst action scenes look dope af, I'll probably be happy with the end result. Still, oh what could have been if Cameron decided to direct it instead of making a million Avatar sequels.

teagone fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 8, 2017

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Detective No. 27 posted:

I'm imagining fish loot boxes.

Could Aquaman mind control fresh water fish too? Because it would be pretty neat sending out swarms of pirhanas to skeletonize guys.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Cyborg is literally the sum of many parts, he's the obvious visual metaphor for justice league, how is weden too stupid to understand that

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
*Joss Whedon looks at character with thematic or personal connection to most of the team*

"Let's chop all that out. You know what people love? Russian families."

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just hope the Aquaman game is better then the LAST ONE he got.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquaman:_Battle_for_Atlantis

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The next logical move for Batman with Affleck gone would be a Batman Beyond movie with Michael Keaton as old Bruce.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
"Wants to be human" isn't actually part of the TTG Cyborg's personality at all.

"Cyborg, you're half-man, half-machine!"
"I know! Isn't it awesome!"
"No! It's eating you up inside!"

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yE5prsMJAWc

Here's hoping is closer to MoS

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

What continuity is this supposed to take place in?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

A good cancellation... is it's own reward.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah there ain't enough money in tv budgets to do Krypton right...either Donner or Snyder style.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I love that he wears a leather jacket

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Oh dear, that 20 seconds did nothing to entice me and only reminded me of how bad SyFy shows can be.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I just want to say I enjoy your posts Cameo

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

On the note of goofy Syfy comic adaptations, the first episode of Happy! is online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pVkry8jJA

tl;dr: Christopher Meloni is an insanely trashy and dark former-cop-turned-hitman who has to try to rescue a kidnapped young girl with the help of her imaginary friend, a flying unicorn played by Patton Oswalt.

I'm halfway through and there's a good chance the whole thing will be dumb as hell, but drat Chris Meloni is entertaining as a nutter.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Martman posted:

On the note of goofy Syfy comic adaptations, the first episode of Happy! is online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9pVkry8jJA

tl;dr: Christopher Meloni is an insanely trashy and dark former-cop-turned-hitman who has to try to rescue a kidnapped young girl with the help of her imaginary friend, a flying unicorn played by Patton Oswalt.

I'm halfway through and there's a good chance the whole thing will be dumb as hell, but drat Chris Meloni is entertaining as a nutter.

Patton Oswalt only the sidekick to a killer? Interesting twist.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

sassassin posted:

Patton Oswalt only the sidekick to a killer? Interesting twist.
:ughh:

Anyway, finished the first episode and it basically appears to be Crank: The Show, plus a cartoon horse. One character even has a ringtone from the movie, seems like a pretty big influence.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

got any sevens posted:

Cyborg is literally the sum of many parts, he's the obvious visual metaphor for justice league, how is weden too stupid to understand that
But what if cyborg was a young woman who's really good at fighting but also, like, vulnerable?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

But what if cyborg was a young woman who's really good at fighting but also, like, vulnerable?

Get james cameron to direct

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Woah like what if the Terminator was Linda Hamilton wooooah

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aj8mN_7Apcw

Oh they went and went full anime eyes with Battle Angel, haha.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Martman posted:

:ughh:

Anyway, finished the first episode and it basically appears to be Crank: The Show, plus a cartoon horse. One character even has a ringtone from the movie, seems like a pretty big influence.

Brian Taylor, one half of the directors of Crank, is the showrunner and directed at least the first episode. I get the distinct impression he's using it to get most of the ideas they had for Crank 3D out of his system.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Brian Taylor, one half of the directors of Crank, is the showrunner and directed at least the first episode. I get the distinct impression he's using it to get most of the ideas they had for Crank 3D out of his system.
Oh! Well that explains that. I think I might also consider the show an unofficial side story sequel to Meloni's character from SVU.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I enjoyed Happy! until the bloody cartoon horse turned up. Obviously I knew that was happening and was the whole show's gimmick or whatever but... urgh. Going from bits like the opening bathroom scene and the way the returning gangster's son was handled to a farting cartoon was a bit much.

If that kid had to put up with that crap all day everyday they were probably destined to become a deranged serial killer themselves anyway.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I enjoyed Happy! until the bloody cartoon horse turned up. Obviously I knew that was happening and was the whole show's gimmick or whatever but... urgh. Going from bits like the opening bathroom scene and the way the returning gangster's son was handled to a farting cartoon was a bit much.

If that kid had to put up with that crap all day everyday they were probably destined to become a deranged serial killer themselves anyway.

Happy is an irritating character, but he's pretty clearly supposed to be, and Meloni's reactions to him are beyond incredible.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Yeah. I don't know how to sort of gauge 'beyond incredible' reactions, but Meloni is absolutely the reason I'm still looking forward to the next one. Maybe if I was an old codger when I first saw Roger Rabbit I'd be an equally miserable bastard about it all.

Thinking about it, maybe its partly the fact that he flies about. Sounds simplistic, but it really removes him too much from the thing. Sure that makes it plausible with Meloni's assumption that it is a hallucination and simplifies plotting and animation issues, but I think it just pushes the whole thing in to being too much like a toilet paper commercial.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 8, 2017

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Rand Brittain posted:

I mean, at this point, the cartoon version of Cyborg isn't just more popular than the comics version, he's better-developed, and I have no idea why they don't just make a live-action version of him.

Well, WB/Whedon made sure to end JL with Cyborg, smiling like crazy, learning to cover up his exposed-machine-heart-metal-rib-cage chest with a featureless plate as his Dad stands by, also smiling like crazy. Happy ending, Frankensteins!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Here’s the Battle Angel trailer.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Darko posted:

Oh they went and went full anime eyes with Battle Angel, haha.

Just... why? Why did her face need to be CGI and horribly distracting CGI at that?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Senjuro posted:

Just... why? Why did her face need to be CGI and horribly distracting CGI at that?

Because they paid for all those Ghost In The Shell asian ScarJo VFX tests and they have to use them somewhere.

Uncanny Valley aside, it looks pretty cool in motion:

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 9, 2017

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
That gif looks relatively fine because both characters are CG. The rest of the time when she's sharing the screen with normal people it looks weird as hell. Like a bad modern day Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I'm baffled at how this got approved.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Senjuro posted:

That gif looks relatively fine because both characters are CG. The rest of the time when she's sharing the screen with normal people it looks weird as hell. Like a bad modern day Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

I'm baffled at how this got approved.

James Cameron

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Her off-putting waifu eyes are a plot point, which is obvious from the trailer.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Senjuro posted:

I think they're riding the uncanny valley as hard as they can on purpose. It's literally a theme that she calls out with her "does it bother you that I'm not completely human" line.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Charlz Guybon posted:

I think they're riding the uncanny valley as hard as they can on purpose.

I highly loving doubt it. There's a difference between "not completely human" and "not convincingly real".

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
She kind of looks like Elizabeth from Bioshock

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

dont even fink about it posted:

Her off-putting waifu eyes are a plot point, which is obvious from the trailer.

Yeah but they are also bad and awful to look at. The fact that there’s meaning behind it doesn’t make it not suck.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I read the first book of battle angel even though that poo poo's not my kind of poo poo and it was great,i genuinely want to watch the movie based on that gif alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I think she looks cool. More monstrous semi-human realistic anime girls please Hollywood.

• Locked thread