Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

In one fell swoop, A2:
* denied 9S any sense of bittersweet closure at putting his adopted mother figure out of her misery
* viscerally killed another person 9S loved (seriously, it's not a mercy killing at all; Taro does not mess around at how violent death is ugly)
* reinforced 9S' impression of her as a brutal sadistic tormentor
* Didn't even really bother to explain why she mercy killed 2B, leaving instead with a pointlessly cryptic comment seemingly designed only to make him feel worse.

A2 is FRACTALLY, inexcusably bad with people, to the point that I think she's a deliberate takedown of the mysterious loner type.

tbf A2 probably doesn't actually know poo poo about 21O or her relationship with 9S so she likely had no idea she was murdering his mum.

Although I bet even if she did know she wouldn't really have done anything differently anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

SyntheticPolygon posted:

tbf A2 probably doesn't actually know poo poo about 21O or her relationship with 9S so she likely had no idea she was murdering his mum.

Although I bet even if she did know she wouldn't really have done anything differently anyway.

She does have 2B's memories, so she should know.

CesspoolofHatred
Apr 3, 2017
So one of the really dumb things about this game is that, if you're overleveled and don't actively pace yourself through boss fights, you can easily screw yourself out of hearing dialogue.

Case in point, there's some extra lines during this fight that're easily missed.

[crackling] I wanted to be... with 9S... [sobbing]

[the voice of complete despair] It's all right... It's all right...

Because...

[snapping like a twig] I'm going to kill you!

Here's a link to it that I found real quick on Youtube so y'all can hear it for yourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zumMzgNSqpo&t=216s

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

A2 was probably trying to help 9S become a good person by killing 21O so he didn't have to do it himself

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

U-DO Burger posted:

A2 was probably trying to help 9S become a good person by killing 21O so he didn't have to do it himself

Well, yes, but it also means he doesn't even get to do 210 the service of killing her when what's left of her mind is begging him to do that. Which means the grief just keeps festering.

A2 is Bad With People.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

CesspoolofHatred posted:

So one of the really dumb things about this game is that, if you're overleveled and don't actively pace yourself through boss fights, you can easily screw yourself out of hearing dialogue.

Case in point, there's some extra lines during this fight that're easily missed.

Because...

Here's a link to it that I found real quick on Youtube so y'all can hear it for yourselves.

Oh, hadn’t heard that before.

:smithicide:

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
So what else does 9S have to lose? There's his home, his partner, his surrogate mother, his sanity...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

So what else does 9S have to lose? There's his home, his partner, his surrogate mother, his sanity...

His dumb nickname

HR12345
Nov 19, 2012
I realized this about someone on imgur, but there is a point. There is someone there who keeps posting concept art in the vain hope EA and Bioware make Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3.

The way I see it, that guy is Simone and EA is Jean-Paul. I worry he’ll be getting to a HE WON’T LOOK MY WAY! rage.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

So when I did this battle I was in hacking mode the entire time.

Hearing these lines just makes it worse.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

CesspoolofHatred posted:

Because...

Getting those last lines to trigger is buggy as poo poo because I dicked around like ten minutes in that fight with her at different amounts of HP and it refused to happen despite hearing it the first time through the game. I stopped caring after that. A2 did nothing wrong.

Edit: Unrelated, I saw that live action Battle Angel Alita trailer and made did something regrettable.

The Dark Id fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 9, 2017

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Some random guy is going to show up and everyone's going to call him Nines.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

HR12345 posted:

I realized this about someone on imgur, but there is a point. There is someone there who keeps posting concept art in the vain hope EA and Bioware make Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 3.

The way I see it, that guy is Simone and EA is Jean-Paul. I worry he’ll be getting to a HE WON’T LOOK MY WAY! rage.

there's no point to anything imgurians do

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

Supersonic Shine posted:

Yoko Taro accepts that challenge. Yoko Taro ALWAYS accepts that challenge.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

This is a friendly reminder that our boy 9S has been hitting a new and different rock bottom every update for like twenty updates.
They say that life finds a way, but life is just a talented amateur compared to Yoko Taro.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
A2. A2 listen to me. The words you want to say are, '2B had the logic virus.' Maybe even '2B asked me to kill her' after that if you're really feeling chatty, but the first part is the important bit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zoe posted:

A2. A2 listen to me. The words you want to say are, '2B had the logic virus.' Maybe even '2B asked me to kill her' after that if you're really feeling chatty, but the first part is the important bit.

Don't think that would help much.

The amazing thing is that A2 is in a situation with no right answers... and she still manages to find a wrong one.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

Zoe posted:

See, even if she had said this, RIGHT OUT, 9S would have found some way to blame it on her, all because he 'saw her kill her'.

He'd probably blame her for the Logic Virus as well, all because 'A2 is an enemy of YoRHa, YoRHa is destroyed, 2B was killed by A2, thus, A2 is the enemy of YoRHa, A2 can't be trusted, she speaks lies'.

I swear, watching this played though, I can't help but get flashbacks to Seere whenever 9S shows up, not sure why, aside from maybe the haircut

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Supersonic Shine posted:

I was going to say that he hasn't been forced to murder 2B himself, but then I remembered the last resource unit.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Omobono posted:

This is a friendly reminder that our boy 9S has been hitting a new and different rock bottom every update for like twenty updates.
They say that life finds a way, but life is just a talented amateur compared to Yoko Taro.

It's just matching up with his first drop into that special chasm when he saw 2B get ganked by A2. As in, the one where machines were throwing themselves into to "hurt themselves beyond repair" and any that survived still wanted to die.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

tbf 2B would be doing the exact same thing if she saw A2 kill 9S

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

I'm not sure. 2B seems more fatalistic.

Some of 9S's pain seems to come from how he thought things might not go this way. 2B never showed that kind of optimism.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

I'm still bothered by 21O/21B's proportions behind that mask. Seems like she has either an extremely tall head or an extremely tall neck. It seems like she would look extremely horrifying if that mask was to ever come off.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

U-DO Burger posted:

Except in that case we'd get to make jokes that she was just mad because Killing 9S was her job and A2 needs to step off :v:

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

...! posted:

I'm still bothered by 21O/21B's proportions behind that mask. Seems like she has either an extremely tall head or an extremely tall neck. It seems like she would look extremely horrifying if that mask was to ever come off.

Perfectly normal.

I just noticed this in the OP:

The Dark Id posted:

Wonderslug looks into Yoko Taro's writing process.

I can't take credit for that, I can't art for poo poo (as demonstrated above). I found it in a fanart thread somewhere (Neogaf?), but I couldn't find the original source.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer
Edit: wrong thread

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Wonderslug posted:

Perfectly normal.

#1 :stwoon:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

Magil of Shadow posted:

See, even if she had said this, RIGHT OUT, 9S would have found some way to blame it on her, all because he 'saw her kill her'.

He'd probably blame her for the Logic Virus as well, all because 'A2 is an enemy of YoRHa, YoRHa is destroyed, 2B was killed by A2, thus, A2 is the enemy of YoRHa, A2 can't be trusted, she speaks lies'.

This is assuming that 9S would even care about her reasoning. He's pretty far gone by this point, so his mind is likely just stuck on "A2 killed 2B, loving MURDER THAT BITCH," and I don't think all the reprogramming in the world is going to toggle that flag off.

Also I'm part of the group that was overleveled as gently caress for this part (I like to farm chips; minmaxing is my curse) and didn't actually hear the message myself because I killed 21OB in about 3 seconds flat after taking out her barrier. This is why I like to read LPs, especially since Id here is usually good about 100%ing this poo poo.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Zoe posted:

No good, 9S is too heartbroken and suspicious, he wouldn't take her at her word if she told him machines were evil.

It's just such a shame that 2B is for-reals dead and we can't get her perspective on events, you know? If only there was some way 9S could have her word that it was a consensual mercy killing. Some way of communicating with her, or even just knowing what she was thinking before she died. Like, maybe if she'd put her memories in a loving sword or something.

Yup.

That sure would help.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GeminiSun posted:

It's just such a shame that 2B is for-reals dead and we can't get her perspective on events, you know? If only there was some way 9S could have her word that it was a consensual mercy killing. Some way of communicating with her, or even just knowing what she was thinking before she died. Like, maybe if she'd put her memories in a loving sword or something.

Yup.

That sure would help.

Here 9S take a look at this.

*pulls out the sword still dripping with 2B fluids*

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

Here 9S take a look at this.

*pulls out the sword still dripping with 2B fluids*

It's authentic 2Blood! Proves it's the right sword, doncha know.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

A2, he needs a direct uplink with the sword to view the memories. No A2, not that end!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Omobono posted:

And judging by the end of the update, 9S is about to hit a new literal rock bottom. Again.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sometimes when you've hit rock bottom the only way to get out is keep digging on until you come out the other end of the earth.

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
Yeah, but if you keep digging, you eventually hit magma and I don't think 9S can pull off the flaming Hackerman on flames a la Terminator too well. But Komm Süsser Tod and all that.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

NO ONE STOPS suffering in a Yoko Taro game.

You thought a good girl like 21O was getting out of this mercifully? She was just another paving stone on Taro's march of war against the concepts of joy, happiness and having a good time.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Josuke Higashikata posted:

NO ONE STOPS suffering in a Yoko Taro game.

You thought a good girl like 21O was getting out of this mercifully? She was just another paving stone on Taro's march of war against the concepts of joy, happiness and having a good time.

Machine on Break is fine, though.

Taro respects breaks. He's not a monster.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Remember, he's a machine on a break from the party at the amusement park.

He was anti-joy, happiness and having a good time in the halcyon days of Route A. That's how he escaped the zombification at the park.

Yunlihn
Nov 8, 2017

I recordz and I sell weaponz.
Report: 9S now seems to be about to go full bonkers. Sealing this branch seems like a good id-

What? Wrong story, you say? Keep going then.

More on topic now, I replayed the entire game the past few days and just reached ending E again. I had forgotten about 210 in the God Box... and feels hit me like missiles hit Angelus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I think 9S went full bonkers some time ago. He is now exploring uncharted lands beyond bonkers.

• Locked thread