Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

goku

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

LongDarkNight posted:

Was looking around online for some suggestions for one shot horror RPGs and found this gem of grog over on reddit.

So far I've got Fiasco, Dread and Ten Candles. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Slasher Flick, which is very specifically for B movie horror but is really good at it

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Nobody wins when violence is involved, it only degrades us.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Dragon Ball RPG got like five books, but the Wheel of Time RPG got two, so Goku loses because there's more poo poo for the lovely DBZ game than for the lovely WoT game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nobody wins when violence is involved, it only degrades us.
Can the Care Bear Stare prevent people from getting into the Wheel of Time?

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

LongDarkNight posted:

Was looking around online for some suggestions for one shot horror RPGs and found this gem of grog over on reddit.

So far I've got Fiasco, Dread and Ten Candles. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Geiger Counter might be interesting. It's been a while since I read it, haven't played it.

Comedy option: Inspectres works fine for one-shots.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

Can the Care Bear Stare prevent people from getting into the Wheel of Time?

Balefire is a lot like the CareBear Stare in that when it hits you you don’t feel upset anymore.

Also in serious news I’m pretty sure I’m going to be ready to put up a recruitment post for the very first English playtest of Lost. I just need to finish translating the combat mechanics and it will be in a playable state (though all the DM stuff is in Japanese so it won’t quite be runnable yet without a Japanese reading DM).

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rand could possibly use mental interference to make Goku dizzy enough to get a Balefire to the face... Even so I'd give it 4:1 Goku.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Uh yeah, definitely Goku.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Plutonis posted:

Who would win a fight between Rand Al-Thor (full power) and Goku (Ultra Instinct)

[name favorite anime waifu]

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LuiCypher posted:

So Goku, then.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
in a hypothetical fight between literally anyone and goku, goku wins

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

funmanguy posted:

in a hypothetical fight between literally anyone and goku, goku wins
goku vs a hurricane

but the hurricane is named hurricane goku

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Funny, the last DBZ thing I watched was a movie where Goku loses. Maybe there's more than one? I haven't watched much DBZ. He lost in this one, anyway.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

Knaifu, obviously.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Goku is getting his drat rear end kicked by a buff XCOM Sectoid in the cartoon he loses to a lot of people

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Goku is getting his drat rear end kicked by a buff XCOM Sectoid in the cartoon he loses to a lot of people

The manga is so much better at getting me to give a gently caress about Jiren goddamn. He doesn’t give a gently caress about this tournament and resents being forced into this.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Funny, the last DBZ thing I watched was a movie where Goku loses. Maybe there's more than one? I haven't watched much DBZ. He lost in this one, anyway.
Goku tends to win in the sense that he succeeds at whatever he's doing, but he only won two fights in Z clean. (Nappa and Frieza on Namek)

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/YouOldSoAndSo/status/939054632634007553

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

FFG are doing a digital version of the LotR LCG

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I keep getting the urge to run DC Adventures because I've been reading a lot of DC Comics. Can people please remind me how shity the game is so that I don't do that? Ironically, I am running a Marvel Heroic roleplaying game in the DC Universe using the pre-made Adventure "suffer the children." Yet still the urge persists.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

MHR is probably the best Superhero game? What would the DC game offer you that you aren't getting from MHR?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
DC Adventures is just straight up Mutants and Masterminds 3E with all the inherent flaws thereof including, "Is published by Green Ronin" since I don't think they've ever actually apologized or anything for the lovely way they reacted to the harassment charges against CA Suleiman.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Moriatti posted:

MHR is probably the best Superhero game? What would the DC game offer you that you aren't getting from MHR?

Frankly, I think some of it is that Marvel Heroic roleplaying does have the issue where combat can start to feel very same-y. I've run 3 Adventures in the system and the dc one is the 4th. We have been running for about a year now. We first did Breakout from the core book and that took a month. Then we did the Council of four pre-made Adventure that's all about going across the Multiverse to Stop & evil Fantastic Four from deleting everything to make the perfect universe. Then we did an adventure that I made that was about Doctor Doom and Norman Osborn teaming up to frame Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four for a theft to use the technology to build the Cosmic Cube to rewrite the universe and make themselves gods. That actually ended with doom dying because he lost control of the Cosmic Cube. Now we're doing the suffer the little children adventure for the DC Universe.

I think we are on either a year or year-and-a-half of play. After a while, combat does start to feel very similar. Even when we started getting people to use assets and complications more, it does start to feel like the same thing over and over. It is very free form and it does allow for a lot of things, but it still has some issues.

Also, it really lacks support for non-combat Stuff. Like, it's hard to get more than 2 to 3 dice for mental or social actions because of how the data files are set up. If your powers don't cover anything mental or social, then you will have trouble doing them unless the Doom pool has been depleted in a big fight.

Also, putting dice together constantly does get a little tedious. While we have reached the point where every dice roll only takes about 15 to 30 seconds since we're that good at just putting them together, it's just a little tedious after a while.

Also, making events for MHR feels like work. Like, more so than other system. I don't know why, but I don't feel like I can "wing-it" like I can in other systems and I really feel like I'm forced to plan and it just makes things harder and that's why I run mostly pre-made adventures. I seriously don't know why, but something about it just makes that feel needed. Also, it feel like it has to be big. Like, I can just do a small story. Or it feels that way. It always feels like a civil war thing and not ,say, the Sinster Six comes to fight for a bit or something.

Lastly, some of it has to do with my players. I like playing with them, but they never embraced some of the elements that makes Marvel Heroic roleplaying better than some of alternatives. Outside of Jordan and one guy who left, they always want to play original characters which came with the problem of them caring a lot about them and not wanting to switch around. It kind of hurts the benefit and mindset of the game where you're supposed to use your characters like rental cars that you just jump from as needed. Oddly enough, and maybe it's because I asked but I did also asked in the beginning and no one wanted to do it with the Marvel stuff, but everyone was quick to pick a character from DC's Library during the latest Adventure. Not sure why that is.

This one is less important, but I am much more enjoying running DC stuff. I have no idea why. Sure, I have been reading the DC Comics more lately because rebirth was really good, but somehow I just seem to understand that Universe better. With Marvel, I kept getting confused. With DC, I can always get a good guess about what of villains going to be like and know how to do their personality. Maybe it's because of all the animated cartoons I watched when I was a kid.

That said, I still love how balanced everything is. There's literally no other superhero game that is this balanced. The fact that I can have a party with any composition and no one outshines anyone is great. That's why I don't want to switch to another system even though I have the urge to. Because if I do DC Adventure, because it's just mutants and masterminds, all the balance goes out the window and I can't have the anyone with anyone stuff.

Though, I have looked a bit at icons which actually looks pretty good as a fate Style game, wearing the cape which is a bit too complicated but still light and balanced, and the new Sentinels RPG which feels like a mix of Marvel Heroic roleplaying, fate, and powered by the Apocalypse.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 10, 2017

Covok
May 27, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

DC Adventures is just straight up Mutants and Masterminds 3E with all the inherent flaws thereof including, "Is published by Green Ronin" since I don't think they've ever actually apologized or anything for the lovely way they reacted to the harassment charges against CA Suleiman.

I pirated the game years ago. So, that's already kind of gone. They never got a dime out of me, except when I bought some stuff from them because they were being really pro-lgbt. Oh the irony.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

DC has a balancing issue where if you aren't at PL on attack/defense/damage/toughness score anybody who is has a severe advantage over you because of the way the math works out. It's a simple fix (just make it so everybody has their saves and attacks at PL) but it's frustrating that this is stated literally nowhere in the book. It's a 5% difference per point and that adds up quickly, especially when having your numbers at PL is only a 50% chance. The charts in the back of the book kind of spell this out, but not in a very intuitive way. It annoys me.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, if your problem is combat not being varied enough I can see MHRP not working super great. Though I'm not sure why you're not running it in the DC universe?

Strike is my go to for combat stuff but it's not great for out of combat.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Moriatti posted:

Yeah, if your problem is combat not being varied enough I can see MHRP not working super great. Though I'm not sure why you're not running it in the DC universe?

Strike is my go to for combat stuff but it's not great for out of combat.

I am running it in the DC Universe now. That's what Suffer the Children. It's a pretty cool adventure, actually. You can find it here. I still find it weird, though, that's in the New 52 continuity solely because the New 52 just launched when he wrote it...despite him spending a page making GBS threads all over the New 52 as garbage. I really love the idea of missions. It makes it feel like an ongoing series and not just a big event. Like, the overarching plot in the background you normally see in comics that develops over a bunch of other, minor plots. Really should be standard in MHR adventures.

But, yeah, it also comes down to the fact that there isn't a lot premade for MHR in DCU and, well, I feel like making Events for MHR is more work, for some reason. Other games I feel like I can wing it, but, with MHR, I feel like I got to preplan and I got to really put effort in and make it somewhat big to justify it being an Event. It's a weird psychology thing that makes me feel that every Event has to be Civil War Tier. Or atleast a 5 part comic storyline like Breakout. Not sure why.

Also, Strike! isn't supers though and I was super-bored when my 13th Age group switched to 4e D&D. Like, I always forgot my abilities because I never played before and we ported over so I started at level 11 so everything became confusing and the wait between turns was so long that I started reading books.

Covok fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 10, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
There's a paid quickstart up for the Sentinels of the Multiverse RPG on Drivethrough, which is sort of "Cam Banks takes lessoned learned in MHR and tries a similar game with a different license."

Apparently there's a kickstarter on the way for the full game at some point soon.

Covok
May 27, 2013

unseenlibrarian posted:

There's a paid quickstart up for the Sentinels of the Multiverse RPG on Drivethrough, which is sort of "Cam Banks takes lessoned learned in MHR and tries a similar game with a different license."

Apparently there's a kickstarter on the way for the full game at some point soon.

I bought that, actually. Brought it up earlier. It looked interesting. I feel it's a mix of MHR, 13th Age, FATE Core, and Pbta.

It has a MHR dicepool system with dies equaling powers and SFX...but you always roll 3 dice: 1 from Powers, 1 from Qualities, and 1 from Status. Your status gets bigger the more damage you take, like a 13th Age escalation die. You also unlock more SFXs the lower your status is. Even if you never get hurt, if the environment gets hurt, it can make everyone count for SFX and Status Dice as if you were at that level of status. Status goes Green, Yellow, Red, Out of Play, btw. You got boxes, though, so it isn't 4 hp, IIRC. It's certainly interesting and gets around a big problem with MHR where people would have widely varying dice pools sides and would never be able to get any dice for non-combat things.

It has FATE's actions. 6 instead of 4, but boost/hinder is literally the same thing so really just 5 actions. The 5th action is recovery, by the way. They may call them differently, but you got Attack, Defend, Create Adventure (Boost/Hinder) and Recovery.

It has PBTA's system for resolution. Every action has a series of results that can happen. It's essentially like a basic move in Pbta. This includes things like partial successes where you can get minor and major twists on top of success/failure.

Lastly, you always roll 3 dice. Thus, you have a low result, a mid result, and a max result. You always take the mid result by default, which is interesting and like 13th Age derived stats. Some SFX let you use max result for certain things. They also can be used for other things. The example play used the low result to be damage taken from a major twist.

It's all really cool, even if the license is poo-poo dog poo poo yucksville.

Covok fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 10, 2017

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Covok posted:

But, yeah, it also comes down to the fact that there isn't a lot premade for MHR in DCU and, well, I feel like making Events for MHR is more work, for some reason. Other games I feel like I can wing it, but, with MHR, I feel like I got to preplan and I got to really put effort in and make it somewhat big to justify it being an Event. It's a weird psychology thing that makes me feel that every Event has to be Civil War Tier. Or atleast a 5 part comic storyline like Breakout. Not sure why.

Also, Strike! isn't supers though and I was super-bored when my 13th Age group switched to 4e D&D. Like, I always forgot my abilities because I never played before and we ported over so I started at level 11 so everything became confusing and the wait between turns was so long that I started reading books.

Fair on the extra planning part, I can relate to that. I usually just do some faction milestones and/or rewards and run the setting

By default it isn't, though it can model supers reasonably well? It's power card combat but it is lighter than 4e so turns are much quicker but if grid combat isn't your jam then IDK if it has much to offer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I’m really excited to see promotion for yet another type of game Strike doesn’t fit and does poorly but people keep plugging it for anyway. I’m glad to see it can do superheroes badly too!

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Arivia posted:

I’m really excited to see promotion for yet another type of game Strike doesn’t fit and does poorly but people keep plugging it for anyway. I’m glad to see it can do superheroes badly too!

Dude specifically requested more combat options but hey, everyone's gotta have a system they hate I guess.

Edit: Also, you're going to tell me Tricks and Flaws aren't comic book as hell? Get outta here.

What would you suggest?

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 11, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I dunno, Fate or something. Just Jesus not loving Strike.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Have you considered that this type of game may just not be for you?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Moriatti posted:

Have you considered that this type of game may just not be for you?
Ignore her. It's a pavlovian reaction at this point whenever anyone mentions Strike.

Try insulting Forgotten Realms. That works, too.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Forgotten realms? Was Greyhawk too interesting for her or something?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Time to stand in front of a mirror at night, light a candle, and chant "Elminster is Bad" three times

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Covok posted:

Like, I always forgot my abilities because I never played before and we ported over so I started at level 11
That was an exceptionally bad idea. I've played a lot of 4e and if someone passed me a level 11 pre-made I'd have no loving clue. I'd be iffy about a level 11 I built myself. Seriously, start at level 1 if you've never played before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

hey in the interests of literally any conversation but this, I'm set to play in a 2E Ravenloft campaign.

If I want to make the best necromancer I can what should I peep at? I have literally never touched 2E so I have no experience actually playing it.

• Locked thread