Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

CommieGIR posted:

At that same Florida rally, a speaker said Trump will usher in the Biblical End Times.

well, he's not wrong...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/939485131693322240

Our President's behavior wouldn't be acceptable from a 5 year old.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

M_Gargantua posted:

https://twitter.com/lpdonovan/status/939335414288211968

If you were wondering why Roy Moore is going to win Alabama. It's because the women are liars, a george soros assasination plot. That dating kids was cool in the 70s. And that Alabama doesn't have a race problem, the blacks are just lazy and stupid.

We've been conspiring against Alabama since 1865.

The Civil Rights Act, Hurricanes Camille through Katrina, Amnesty International, destroying Confederate monuments? All northern conspiracies designed to undermine the great state of Alabama.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/939485131693322240

Our President's behavior wouldn't be acceptable from a 5 year old.

ive said it many time before about both him as well as the overwhelming majority of GOP politicians (and voters): the average 5 year old is more personable, egalitarian, intelligent and willing to learn than they are

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

M_Gargantua posted:

https://twitter.com/lpdonovan/status/939335414288211968

If you were wondering why Roy Moore is going to win Alabama. It's because the women are liars, a george soros assasination plot. That dating kids was cool in the 70s. And that Alabama doesn't have a race problem, the blacks are just lazy and stupid.

Hooooooly poo poo.

Watch the whole thing. It's a loving trip.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
On the Moore/Jones race, SurveyMonkey did a really neat poll/explainer on where the race is right now and how polling can help/hurt the story.

https://twitter.com/MysteryPollster/status/939242790990614528

https://twitter.com/PollsAndVotes/status/939351655715430401

The bottom line is that it's a special election, in the rarely-polled deep south, with fired-up Democrats, iffy Republicans, and a Republican that barely does interviews/media appearances. Figuring out who is going to vote, even people in that Vice focus group, is really hard in NORMAL elections! The polling average says a clear Moore advantage, but polls are more accurate when you have an idea of what the voting population will be. Moore is currently up +4 and the last special election in Virginia actually understated the Democrat's support by about that much!

So per the polls, Moore could easily win in a blowout and Jones could easily win in a squeaker. It all depends on who shows up, so Tuesday will be interesting!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

This was posted over in Airpower, and it's a really dumb article that is a case study in logical leaps, stupid citations, unsupported claims, non sequitur, irrelevant fluff, with a drunk uncle closing rant from a couple retired JAGs.

Their premise is that the reason our COIN fight isn't going well is we've a bunch of squeamish leaders afraid to kill enough people to win.

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2017-12/cant-kill-enough-win-think-again

8. Random drunk uncle rant about climate change and sexual harassment at the end, as if it really drive home that a couple retired angry cranks wrote this.

I was just reading a Proceedings article from 1946 (yay JPME :jerkbag: ) about applying the accepted principles of war to WWII, which had just concluded. In the middle of it, there was a drunk uncle rant about morale and how back in my day soldiers got morale from winning and that bullshit like the USO made our troops soft and womanlike, and we won despite having such a coddled army.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Sergg posted:

...she thinks that's a sign they're giving him Haldol to keep his temper under control due to the dementia.

From wikipedia:

In older people with psychosis due to dementia it results in an increased risk of death.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Lurks Morington posted:

I will rendition you to a black site where I will play job for a cowboy while I get you to forget your name and wish you had never touched a computer

Lurks Morington posted:

Am I too fat to gently caress?

E: I’m about 15 ish pounds from fighting shape. But if I had a steam room it’d be no time at all

gently caress my boypussy

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Hot Karl Marx posted:

From wikipedia:

In older people with psychosis due to dementia it results in an increased risk of death.

inshallah

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/TimRunsHisMouth/status/939398055610191872

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Hot Karl Marx posted:

From wikipedia:

The autopsy on Trump is gonna be one for the medical textbooks.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

BigDave posted:

he has brain worms

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

I was just reading a Proceedings article from 1946 (yay JPME :jerkbag: ) about applying the accepted principles of war to WWII, which had just concluded. In the middle of it, there was a drunk uncle rant about morale and how back in my day soldiers got morale from winning and that bullshit like the USO made our troops soft and womanlike, and we won despite having such a coddled army.

When reading T R Fehrenbach's history of the Korean war, he routinely will have an aside which starts with "I don't want to get political, but" and then bitch and moan about kids these days and damned commie pinko academics and soft-handed and soft-footed kids and let me repeat AGAIN the anecdote about how North Koreans can fight for days eating only a single rice ball a day, those orientals, I tell you what!

In between those things there's lots of good reading and analysis, but he just can't help himself from derailing into orientalist mythos or complaining about kids these days and those darn professors on a semi-regular basis.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Looks like the ruskies with a bit of help from the US turned half of Raqqa into rubble:

https://twitter.com/Raqqa_SL/status/939492780954603520

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hot Karl Marx posted:

he has brain worms

obviously the deep state put them there

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

mlmp08 posted:

the anecdote about how North Koreans can fight for days eating only a single rice ball a day, those orientals, I tell you what!

This was a thing in Vietnam too, some of the Vietcong/NVA vets in the Ken Burns series talk about how loving horrible it was but you either fought or you died.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

On the Moore/Jones race, SurveyMonkey did a really neat poll/explainer on where the race is right now and how polling can help/hurt the story.

https://twitter.com/MysteryPollster/status/939242790990614528

https://twitter.com/PollsAndVotes/status/939351655715430401

The bottom line is that it's a special election, in the rarely-polled deep south, with fired-up Democrats, iffy Republicans, and a Republican that barely does interviews/media appearances. Figuring out who is going to vote, even people in that Vice focus group, is really hard in NORMAL elections! The polling average says a clear Moore advantage, but polls are more accurate when you have an idea of what the voting population will be. Moore is currently up +4 and the last special election in Virginia actually understated the Democrat's support by about that much!

So per the polls, Moore could easily win in a blowout and Jones could easily win in a squeaker. It all depends on who shows up, so Tuesday will be interesting!

I'm not hopeful. Here's a good article in The Atlantic about why black people in Alabama can't vote:

quote:

In 2015, state Republicans announced the closures of 31 DMV offices across the state, ostensibly in a cost-saving measure. But AL.com journalists Kyle Whitmore and John Archibald found that the closures were concentrated in the black belt, and that of the 10 counties with the highest percentage of nonwhite voters, the state closed DMV offices in eight, and left them without offices entirely, meaning those voters either had to travel long distances to other counties to get licenses or visit special registrar’s offices in order to vote.

Facing pressure, the state relented on some of the closings, instead operating a handful of the offices for fewer hours, but a U.S. Department of Transportation investigation still found that “African Americans residing in the Black Belt region of Alabama disproportionately underserved by ALEA’s driver licensing services, causing a disparate and adverse impact on the basis of race.” In an agreement with DOT last December, the state did agree to expand the hours of some of the offices.

Still, the incident illustrates the structures in the state that have only been nourished post-Shelby County that uniquely limit black voters. Racial disparities in access to acceptable forms of voter ID are a common objection to such strict laws, but they can overlook broader systemic effects of the laws and their rollouts on turnout. A study of Kansas’s strict ID law found that advertisement of the law alone decreased turnout, even as the law’s actual effects on ballot accessibility further cratered turnout themselves. It’s also just likely that implementing more restrictive voter laws chills faith in the system and turnout among people who’ve always been on the margins.

That last point is especially salient in Alabama, where officials have steadfastly refused to implement the kind of reforms that have continued the work of the Voting Rights Act and continually expanded black turnout over the years. Early voting, which has been a key factor for other states in increasing black turnout, is not permitted in Alabama. The state also doesn’t have no-fault absentee voting, preregistration for teens, or same-day registration.* In all, it’s harder to vote in Alabama than just about anywhere else, a dynamic that should tend towards cooling the turnout of people who’ve only been allowed to vote in the state for 50 years.

. . .

Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill—who has supported Moore even since the allegations—refused to invest any state resources on information or education after that reversal, and has also announced his opposition to automatic voter registration in DMVs, saying that the law “cheapen[s] the work” of civil-rights icons like Georgia Congressman John Lewis. And with some activists attempting to enforce that law and sign up ex-felons to vote, Moore wasted no time in blowing the dog whistle again, tweeting that “Democrat operatives in Alabama are REGISTERING THOUSANDS OF FELONS all across the state in an effort to swing the US Senate election to Doug Jones!”[

. . .

In the previous major special election, black voter turnout in the second round of voting in Georgia’s Sixth District earlier this year plummeted as well, a decline that may well have ended Democrat Jon Ossoff’s chances at gaining the seat. Things went better for Democrats in Virginia’s elections last month, where black voters made up 20 percent of the vote share, keeping pace with their overall vote share from 2016 and ushering in a victory for Ralph Northam in the governor’s race, and a shot for Democratic control in the state House. But notably, under Governor Terry McAuliffe, Virginia has been home to sweeping changes in voting law aimed at increasing minority turnout, including a strong campaign for the restoration of rights to people with felonies.

Virginia isn't a good model because the Democratic governor and attorney general went to great lengths to protect voting rights (despite the Republican-controlled state legislature's attempts to roll them back), whereas Alabama is red through and through. Virginia also has a much higher proportion of highly educate white and minority voters, who have been trending blue since the Obama administration and who are especially put off by Trump.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Dec 9, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/radknafeh/status/939290946172346368

Uhhhh I think this guy needs a history lesson

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

These people always consider themselves a first-rate authority on history and anything to the contrary is liberal indoctrination.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I wanna shove that dude over and watch him try to get back up

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

You know he could only afford the helmet and not full plate and mail.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Who knew that a spaghetti strainer and soup pot were historically accurate.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Medieval armor was surprisingly lightweight, to prevent exactly this! Of course,

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Medieval armor was surprisingly lightweight, to prevent exactly this!

Isn't that was squires were for?

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

Lurks Morington posted:

Can you od on haldol? What’s the ld 50? I want to die

The biggest danger is that it stretches out the QT interval of the heart rate cycle which makes you more vulnerable to any sort of cardiac anomaly straight up killing you.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There's a huge NYT thing on how much TV Trump watches, including the fact that Trump's "I read documents" tweet was a response to the fact checking of this article. Normal insanity, but I spotted something that's absolutely loving insane.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/09/us/politics/donald-trump-president.html?_r=0

quote:

Watching cable, he shares thoughts with anyone in the room, even the household staff he summons via a button for lunch or one of the dozen Diet Cokes he consumes each day.

Holy gently caress.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Isn't that was squires were for?

squires were medieval interns i think

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

BigDave posted:

I have bad/good news for you: there is no medical explanation. He really just is a huge piece of low-IQ poo poo who surrounds himself with sycophants. Always has been.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Re the ON WINNING WARS stuff has anyone who ever won a war while stacking bodies higher and deeper than anyone else with an AT ALL COSTS mentality ever successfully like, flipped a switch afterwards that makes leadership forget the whole want-an-omelette-gotta-break-some-eggs-with-us-or-against-us approach when it's time to transition to regular government and poo poo?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

Re the ON WINNING WARS stuff has anyone who ever won a war while stacking bodies higher and deeper than anyone else with an AT ALL COSTS mentality ever successfully like, flipped a switch afterwards that makes leadership forget the whole want-an-omelette-gotta-break-some-eggs-with-us-or-against-us approach when it's time to transition to regular government and poo poo?

Japan after WWII is probably the closest you’d find.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

squires were medieval interns i think

They were medieval junior enlisted.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

There's a huge NYT thing on how much TV Trump watches, including the fact that Trump's "I read documents" tweet was a response to the fact checking of this article. Normal insanity, but I spotted something that's absolutely loving insane.

Holy gently caress.

http://stroke.ahajournals.org/content/early/2017/04/20/STROKEAHA.116.016027

quote:

After adjustments for age, sex, education (for analysis of dementia), caloric intake, diet quality, physical activity, and smoking, higher recent and higher cumulative intake of artificially sweetened soft drinks were associated with an increased risk of ischemic stroke, all-cause dementia, and Alzheimer’s disease dementia. When comparing daily cumulative intake to 0 per week (reference), the hazard ratios were 2.96 (95% confidence interval, 1.26–6.97) for ischemic stroke and 2.89 (95% confidence interval, 1.18–7.07) for Alzheimer’s disease. Sugar-sweetened beverages were not associated with stroke or dementia.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Glad I don't drink a lot of soda.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Holy gently caress.

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/257552283850653696

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

mlmp08 posted:

This was posted over in Airpower, and it's a really dumb article that is a case study in logical leaps, stupid citations, unsupported claims, non sequitur, irrelevant fluff, with a drunk uncle closing rant from a couple retired JAGs.

Their premise is that the reason our COIN fight isn't going well is we've a bunch of squeamish leaders afraid to kill enough people to win.

https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2017-12/cant-kill-enough-win-think-again

My response is basically, the Russians are not known for their restrictive ROE and basically treated Afghanistan as a free fire zone. They were not successful in suppressing the insurgency. Now, am I mistaken on the Soviet policies or were there mitigating circumstances?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SimonCat posted:

My response is basically, the Russians are not known for their restrictive ROE and basically treated Afghanistan as a free fire zone. They were not successful in suppressing the insurgency. Now, am I mistaken on the Soviet policies or were there mitigating circumstances?

“History of Afghanistan” is a mitigating circumstance.

The argument is just bad and uses history thus:

Did we win? Killed enough!
Did we lose? Not enough killing!

Having problems? :killing:

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Zeris posted:

I have bad/good news for you: there is no medical explanation. He really just is a huge piece of low-IQ poo poo who surrounds himself with sycophants. Always has been.

Probably, but it's still gonna be a record breaker.

"Subject's liver weighs approximately 8 lbs and is 90% fat."

"Subject's large intestine is critcally impacted and shows signs of long term trauma."

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

trump's liver would be high grade fois gras if he didn't drink diet soda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Was this him having a rare moment of clarity?

• Locked thread