Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Sakurazuka posted:

The controller, eh, but what was wrong with the console itself? Other than being hilariously easy to pirate games for it lol.

The disc drive sounding like an angle grinder after a while did get a little annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

The controller, eh, but what was wrong with the console itself? Other than being hilariously easy to pirate games for it lol.

After getting used to consoles with a rest mode (and a PC with an SSD) it was annoyingly slow to start anything with that thing, especially when I usually play stuff in pretty short bursts.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I don't expect the Wii U will go up in value. It will remain like the Vectrex, kinda cool and affordable forever, despite there only being about 10 million of them kicking about

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Zelda DLC was good, lil Sidon is a cool dude

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Sudden Javelin posted:

I have a work colleague who was all hyped to get Xenoblade because he wanted a meaty RPG. Then as soon as the reviews came out he read two (GameSpot and IGN) and whenever I see him he goes "such a shame, it looked like it'd be really good, but GameSpot gave it a 7 and I don't buy games below 8. I'll wait for them to patch the map"

Gamers suck.

I can't imagine going through life dependent on only 2 sites for reviews, least of all one of them being loving IGN, the most emotionless and boring essays imaginable

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

bef posted:

idk besides the horn its pretty much the same thing
Wii has huge focus on unavoidable hits (blue shell, thundershock, thundercloud, blooper, pow block) and invincibilty states (star, bullet bill, mega mushroom). Those items alone make up more than half of the 14 total in the game. Getting chain hit from 1st place to dead last is incredibly common in wii. It was also the 1st mk to have 12 racers which really exacerbated the problem.

8 on the otherhand had 20 items, dropping the pow, thundercloud and mega-mushroom. It added back the triple version of the core green/red/banna weapons and added new short range weapons in the boomerang and pirhana plant. The super-horn is a nice defensive addition but it's big flaw is the thundershock is unblockable and will make you drop it so it's entirely down to luck wether you can hold on to it until you get a chance to use it.

I mean its still possible to get turbo hosed into 12th at any time but it's nowhere as bad as wii was. There's a fine line between skill and luck that a good mario kart needs to straddle and generally 8 does an okay job of that, but wii really feels like it leaned a lot more towards luck.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Infinitum posted:

Why isn't Slime-san more popular? Free DLC expansion!

I played the demo a bit recently and it was a little too ADD for my tastes, but the time-slow mechanic was really clever from a game-design perspective. It lets one control the difficulty on the fly without feeling like cheating but the actual timer (which continues at real time) provides an incentive for those who wish to challenge themselves.

Also too many other games that are precisely up my alley. I suspect I'm lookin' at you, Gungeon.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

people are gonna love the wii u some day. crazy that people can't see that

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

there's really not a better piece of 2010s kitsch in gaming, not even the vita

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Infinitum posted:

From the video

The guy mainly focuses on business reporting, like that is the majority of his time and sometimes he writes reviews when he needs to fill in gaps.

Also he got a mass wave of death threats and harassment because of that

Edit: I don't even know why that was posted in the Switch thread, I thought I was in gen chat

Also Enter the Gungeon is really bad

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Zas posted:

people are gonna love the wii u some day. crazy that people can't see that

People already do? The modding scene for it is quite extensive

Not me though, I hate clutter with a burning passion and it is obvious that old game consoles are the gamer version of piles of VCR tapes and DVDs that no one in the house ever touches

YouTube and emulators are good enough for satiating my nostalgia when it strikes

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 9, 2017

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

here are some hot tips on how to enjoy your wii U:

1. try playing every zelda game. they're all there!
2. hack that poo poo
3. digital only please
4. captain toad mutherfucker

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Spellman posted:

I don't expect the Wii U will go up in value. It will remain like the Vectrex, kinda cool and affordable forever, despite there only being about 10 million of them kicking about

The console itself isn't the issue. It's that it requires the gamepad, and when those start breaking, the units won't be usable until easily accessible alternatives show up on market. I'm sure emulation might "fix" that to some degree, but the Wii U is probably one of the most special cases in console history.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

lmao holy poo poo WWE 2K18's Switch port is so terrible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ4RpF2nmhU

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Takoluka posted:

The console itself isn't the issue. It's that it requires the gamepad, and when those start breaking, the units won't be usable until easily accessible alternatives show up on market. I'm sure emulation might "fix" that to some degree, but the Wii U is probably one of the most special cases in console history.

Why would the gamepads start breaking? Over say, other 30 year old consoles that are still plentiful and cheap

There will be lots of Wii Us forever for people who want them because nobody wants them even as collector's items. It just doesn't have appeal to average people. Some old consoles despite their rarity and perceived uniqueness just don't rise in value

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Policenaut posted:

This reminds me of like 6-7 years ago, when companies were making iPhone games that looked like the actual console/PC version in screen shots, but it was all smoke and mirrors when you booted it up.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Spellman posted:

Why would the gamepads start breaking? Over say, other 30 year old consoles that are still plentiful and cheap

There will be lots of Wii Us forever for people who want them because nobody wants them even as collector's items. It just doesn't have appeal to average people. Some old consoles despite their rarity and perceived uniqueness just don't rise in value

Yeah internet nerds, including a few of my local friends, always heavily overestimate how much other people are into retro gaming.

Probably in part because scalpers are intentionally or unintentionally fostering these feelings via elevated prices for what is basically old junk to most people

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 9, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zas posted:

2. hack that poo poo
3. digital only please

CAPTAIN TOAD 2 NINTENDO PLEASE

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Just got a Switch with Mario Odyssey for my birthday, and it feels the same as when I got my N64 with Mario 64 20 years ago. Now I need to get Zelda to also get a repeat of December 1998 to complete the nostalgia trip.

First Nintendo console I've gotten since the Gamecube, and it feels like Nintendo finally managed to get my attention this time. Finding out about Bayonetta 2 and 3 yesterday was icing on the cake.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Spellman posted:

For the same reasons that any other controller starts breaking? It's the primary controller. There's wear and tear, it has its own kinda terrible battery, and it uses a plastic touchscreen that is prone to damage over time.

You can walk into some second-hand shop and grab an NES without issue, because everything that comes with it is easily replaceable. Third parties make cables and peripherals for it all the time. If you get a Wii U, it *has* to come with a functional gamepad, the specific gamepad that it came with or is synced to, gamepads that have their own firmware and software that is straight-up region-locked. If you don't have that gamepad or if something happens to it, you're SOL, and eventually, that will become a normal thing in the used system market.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Coxswain Balls posted:

Just got a Switch with Mario Odyssey for my birthday, and it feels the same as when I got my N64 with Mario 64 20 years ago. Now I need to get Zelda to also get a repeat of December 1998 to complete the nostalgia trip.

First Nintendo console I've gotten since the Gamecube, and it feels like Nintendo finally managed to get my attention this time. Finding out about Bayonetta 2 and 3 yesterday was icing on the cake.

Nice, dude enjoy that poo poo!

Nothing else on switch has hit the same peaks that I experienced when first playing through SMO and BotW.

BotW especially is magical going in blind

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
The Wii U was great, but every port that comes to the Switch makes me regret the Wii U purchase a little more.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Just because you personally don't like a game does not make it bad.

Policenaut posted:

I made a mistake of looking at the comments, people blaming the Switch for how bad the game is.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Dec 9, 2017

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

katkillad2 posted:

I made a mistake of looking at the comments, people blaming the Switch for how bad the game is.

Luckily, there's a handful of people saying that even 2K's own NBA port is better and that this is a huge rush job.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is this the best year Nintendo's ever had? A smash hit new console, two of the best received games ever, with a bunch of good offerings to complement them? The Wii's launch was more of a sensation but didn't have the other great games alongside Wii Sports. GameCube has gems but never got off the ground commercially. Maybe something in the SNES years, I'm not up on release dates for those games.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I got Xenoverse 2 after ending up down a DBZ nostalgia rabbit hole on YouTube one night and this stupid loving anime game has consumed my life. I think I’ve put more hours into it this week than I have my actual job. The portability makes it worse, because I can never justify NOT finding time to play it. My days and sleepless nights are spent training my Original Character (DO NOT STEAL) .jpeg and attaining new heights of power.

I felt like maybe my addiction was plateauing until I finally checked out the Hero Colosseum and found out apparently there’s a loving Gwent style figurine mini game and now it’s all over, I’m going to get fired and have to live on the street

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The guy mainly focuses on business reporting, like that is the majority of his time and sometimes he writes reviews when he needs to fill in gaps.

Also he got a mass wave of death threats and harassment because of that

Edit: I don't even know why that was posted in the Switch thread, I thought I was in gen chat

He reviewed mass effect poorly 10 years ago cause he didnt know leveling up was a thing and somehow still beat the game so being totally clueless seems to just be a personality trait and i feel bad for him

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I just got a switch for xenoblade 2, regardless of the lack of other games I want atm. Anyone wanna add me?

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I feel bad for people who are insulted when a reviewer doesn't line up to their expectations.

Imagine caring that much about something so banal. I imagine you have to be in a pretty bad spot (or literally 12 years old I spose) to let that wind you up so much

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Just playing my Switch here in Splatoon 2 and I was thinking how cool a new Rouge Squadron or Starfox with online team battle scenarios would be with gyro aiming. Either use the standard controller layout and tilt to aim the reticle independently from the joystick aiming the star fighter or a secondary option of holding two separate joycons like in ARMS and use them like flight sticks. That’s my sweet Switch idea please stay perfect Switch thread

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Gamepads were also generally 1 per console, no additonals other than requesting expensive replacements so there's gonna be far less out there than the average controller.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Just playing my Switch here in Splatoon 2 and I was thinking how cool a new Rouge Squadron or Starfox with online team battle scenarios would be with gyro aiming. Either use the standard controller layout and tilt to aim the reticle independently from the joystick aiming the star fighter or a secondary option of holding two separate joycons like in ARMS and use them like flight sticks. That’s my sweet Switch idea please stay perfect Switch thread

I don't like gyro aiming a lot for on-foot style shooting in Splatoon but having it for flight combat would be rad, like a Kid Icarus game with gyro aiming would be so sick.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

KingSlime posted:

I feel bad for people who are insulted when a reviewer doesn't line up to their expectations.

I was insulted when reviewers kept saying $40 was too much for Captain Toad when it was a full awesome game, but anyone who bad talks captain toad is an idiot who should be arrested anyway :colbert:

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Zas posted:

2. hack that poo poo
3. digital only please

5. Mario Maker! It’s good, Nintendo please port and expand it for Switch

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

creationist believer posted:

5. Mario Maker! It’s good, Nintendo please port and expand it for Switch

There is no way the Switch doesn’t get Mario Maker 2. Even on the dismal amount of sold WiiUs the game sold like crazy

Spellman
May 31, 2011

It was also a Let's Play phenomena. With easy video game clips now, people would tweet that glitchy Mario poo poo all day

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Sudden Javelin posted:

I have a work colleague who was all hyped to get Xenoblade because he wanted a meaty RPG. Then as soon as the reviews came out he read two (GameSpot and IGN) and whenever I see him he goes "such a shame, it looked like it'd be really good, but GameSpot gave it a 7 and I don't buy games below 8. I'll wait for them to patch the map"

Gamers suck.
What's wrong with the map?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Harlock posted:

Too many buttons to get to the map.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Harlock posted:

IMO I think that the MMORPG-style projected map is way too zoomed in to use effectively in larger fields and the more detailed maps are hidden behind multiple sub-menus, so if you want a map of the area you're currently in you hit X, select your region, select the sub-region, then scroll through the list of maps to find the map you want. If there was a simple 1-press means to get to the map, it'd be so much easier.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

If you could zoom in and out and around the map when you hit minus or whatever, it wouldnt be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Harlock posted:

Its real bad.

Calling the map puts you not on your map but in a menu of maps and you need to navigate to find the one you are on

The maps are broken into pieces with no relationship between them so its impossible to judge where lower levels connect to upper levels

The quest screen has no interaction with the map screen so you need to cross reference

No custom waypoints

Minimap too small, large hud overlay map too opaque to see gameplay

Etc.

• Locked thread