Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I've just got the M12 screwdriver (for now) and I really like it. I use it to cinch down lugs after starting them along with other screwdrivery poo poo and it's awesome. I really appreciate how light it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

Does Bondus make Whitworth sizes?

Not sure, the one I have is good ol' american inches.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Got the $99 Ryobi Drill + Impact set that was on sale at HD. THe impact was able to get rusty as poo poo bolts out of a 15 year old truck so moderately impressed with it so far.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

BigPaddy posted:

Got the $99 Ryobi Drill + Impact set that was on sale at HD. THe impact was able to get rusty as poo poo bolts out of a 15 year old truck so moderately impressed with it so far.

That's a pretty good deal. I have the impact and like it well enough for the little I've used it.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
Anyone else get on that Wera deal during black friday? I spent way too much, but I know its going to be completely worth it.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Just heard an internet radio ad saying Home Depot will warranty Craftsman hand tools for a similar Husky tool through January 14.

edit: I can't find a thing online about it

thebigcow fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 8, 2017

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I broke the tip off of a Craftsman screwdriver using it as a pry bar, is that warrantyable?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FogHelmut posted:

I broke the tip off of a Craftsman screwdriver using it as a pry bar, is that warrantyable?

Absolutely. I've got a drawer-full like that, but I'm just too lazy to go to Sears to get them replaced... I'll probably wait around too long and the new owner will rescing the lifetime warranty.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 8, 2017

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Go try to get some Husky replacements and report back

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

Maybe this is as good of a place as any to ask. For SUPER HIGH TECH RACE CAR stuff (lemons), I’d like to get a tpms unit that will communicate to our dash / data logging stuff. I need a unit that will communicate through serial to a raspberry pi, and it doesn’t need to have a screen. In-tire monitors preferred. Amazon universal units seem pretty shy on details on how to communicate with them.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

thebigcow posted:

Go try to get some Husky replacements and report back

This caused me to look at Husky screwdrivers.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm a Snap-on industrial dealer and my snap on corporate rep told me to warranty whatever the heck I want, even (or especially) if it's a competitors tool.

I can also strongly recommend Bahco and Williams.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

slidebite posted:

I'd hope so because don't they make Snap-On?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

shoncook posted:

Maybe this is as good of a place as any to ask. For SUPER HIGH TECH RACE CAR stuff (lemons), I’d like to get a tpms unit that will communicate to our dash / data logging stuff. I need a unit that will communicate through serial to a raspberry pi, and it doesn’t need to have a screen. In-tire monitors preferred. Amazon universal units seem pretty shy on details on how to communicate with them.

Let me know if you actually find anything not for megabucks. As far as I can tell, there's the Stack system or more expensive alternatives.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Colostomy Bag posted:

Some. They make great stuff.

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

Colostomy Bag posted:

Snap-On has two main markets. Snap-On (the truck guys that sell direct; think highest quality and Made in USA) and Snap-On Industrial Brands (not branded as Snap-On, but as Williams, Bahco, and CDI, and is sold through distribution).

While Williams used to be all Made in the US decades ago and comparable to Proto or Armstrong, they sell many imported tools now. Some are made in the US, but I’m not sure what the mix is.

Good example: My company stocks the cheap-o Stanley adjustable wrenches because they are a good value for our contractors. Some old guy had us order a Williams adjustable wrench because he remembered the glory days of Williams. Sure enough, it came in and was made in Taiwan and had the same pattern on the handle has the Stanley Expert series we used to carry. But that brand recognition is exactly why Snap On bought them for that market.

CDI is all made in the US and they make a ton of torque wrenches as private labels for other brands. Wright Tool torque wrenches are made by CDI.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

slidebite posted:

I'm a Snap-on industrial dealer and my snap on corporate rep told me to warranty whatever the heck I want, even (or especially) if it's a competitors tool.

Just out of curiosity, how much of a difference is there in price between truck and industrial tools?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Any thoughts on sub-$500 thermal cameras like the FLIR C2 or Seek Reveal for home and garage use? The C2 looks like a solid product, but the Seek is half the price and that’s cool too.

Edit: nevermind. The Seek Compact is on sale for $160. Hopefully it’ll show me how many spots I missed insulating before I drywall my basement.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Dec 10, 2017

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Frank Dillinger posted:

Just out of curiosity, how much of a difference is there in price between truck and industrial tools?

Industrial tools will cost you more than a new truck.

Wait...

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Frank Dillinger posted:

It can be significant, but Snap-On quite ferociously guards their truck franchisees and from what I understand the truck guys have a fair amount of autonomy what they can charge their clients. Snap-On truck franchises are not distributors of their "Industrial brands" products though. So while they might very well sell a Snap-On torque wrench out of their truck that is made by CDI, they cannot sell a CDI branded torque wrench that an industrial products distributor would sell... at probably half the price, even if they are literally identical. In many ways, there is some direct competition between their industrial product lines through distribution and the truck franchisees.

Keep in mind on some of the hand tools there are not direct, 100% made-by equivalents, however, from my understanding, there is a significant amount of crossover. I *think* Bahco makes the Snapon branded adjustable wrenches, but not their combination wrenches... maybe they make most of both. Pretty sure CDI makes all the Snap-on torque products. Pneumatic is done by Sioux, and the industrial side can sell both the higher end Sioux (snap on equiv) pneumatic and offshore made Sioux. Pretty sure Bahco makes their cutting products.

On things like their cabinets, the standard "Snap-On industrial brand" Williams cabinets are not the exact same as their snap on counterparts, HOWEVER, the Snap-On Industrial PROFESSIONAL series is made in the same USA factory, just maybe a different color or aesthetics out of the box, but the industrial will have Williams name plates instead of Snap-on.

Even the Williams stuff that is made off shore is really, really good stuff. Considering the price point of tools they are competing with they are pretty tough to beat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Also bear in mind that a truck will often be selling to individuals or small businesses, while industrial tools - though having a catalogue price - get bought by companies who have agreements for pricing discounts on account purchases, and want to source things from one place as much as possible.

If I want to buy hand tools, I have a company we have an account with, and I have to get it from them unless they don't have and can't get it. The price it's listed at isn't what we actually pay overall, but often the way it works is we do pay that and there's then a rebate at a corporate level for that month's orders - but we don't see that ourselves.

So you can say that Brand X costs more than Brand Y if you're just walking in off the street to the respective dealers and getting something off the shelf, but it's a lot more complicated if it's truly industrial supply.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
What about the snap on branded lights and other crap that you find at Costco and Sam’s? Who makes that?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Rubiks Pubes posted:

What about the snap on branded lights and other crap that you find at Costco and Sam’s? Who makes that?

They're just paying snap on for the name, they're licensed products.

Dr Rocksalt
Oct 21, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

Let me know if you actually find anything not for megabucks. As far as I can tell, there's the Stack system or more expensive alternatives.

drat, you’re not joking about megabucks. I found something similar to the Stack system that cost like $4k.

I fear my best bet is to roll my own. Sparkfun and other places sell 434 MHz and 315 MHz receivers; I could maybe kludge something together. I’d just feel a little more confident with a known quantity, however.

I made some input / output boards to take in vehicle data either analog or through serial coms (megasquirt or speeduino) in case our plan needs backups. An arduino mega then lights up LEDs on the dash for appropriate stuff. Car data also gets shoved to a raspberry pi with a GPS receiver that looks for a track side router / ftp to transmit and take in any messages the track side team sends.

What’s better than all that complication? Even more! I found some various GUI stuff for python that I could use to make a fancy screen in the car too. I was hoping to make a neat Gran Turismo looking display to show gps, lap time, and tpms and tire temp if I could get a unit to play nice.

This will all work perfectly, of course, and not just be an eyesore that fails instantly.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I know someone has decoded TPMS signals, but I think the garden variety ones are pretty slow and I wasn't real clear on what the hardware/software to talk to it would look like.

I had some pretty ambitious DAQ stuff designed out but... too many projects. Probably just feeding stuff into an AIM logger. Izze Racing's tire temp stuff looks pretty well executed, for example though yeah, I know, you can always kitbash something together for cheaper.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

Picked one of these up. It rocks. So nice to just zip nuts and bolts out. Much like most things in Harbor Freight I think they are being generous with the 60 ft lb rating. I'd bet its half that.

But its cheaper then the Strap on one and feels like a solid tool. Battery seem to charge pretty fast too.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

KennyLoggins posted:

Picked one of these up. It rocks. So nice to just zip nuts and bolts out. Much like most things in Harbor Freight I think they are being generous with the 60 ft lb rating. I'd bet its half that.

But its cheaper then the Strap on one and feels like a solid tool. Battery seem to charge pretty fast too.

Pictured actual size, even!

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I was looking at the Milwaukee one of those, it is about $180 with the battery and charger. I wish Ryobi did once since I have some of those batteries already.

KennyLoggins
Dec 3, 2004
Welcome to the Danger Zone

BigPaddy posted:

I was looking at the Milwaukee one of those, it is about $180 with the battery and charger. I wish Ryobi did once since I have some of those batteries already.

Given that a lot of tools come from the same place. The HF earthquake ratchet looks suspiciously like the one AC Delco offers:

And is $50 more then the HF version.

Don't have any M12 stuff so and it seems like Craftsmans C3 which I have a bunch of tools that use the C3 batteries line is stale and not much to write home about.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

KennyLoggins posted:

Using this is likely to put you in the Danger Zone.

I'll see myself out.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BigPaddy posted:

you should be able to pick it up much cheaper than that, just wait for a deal

i got last years version with the brushed motor, an impact driver and two batteries for 100 bucks plus tax

ryobi's version would suck because of the giant shape of the batteries

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

BraveUlysses posted:

ryobi's version would suck because of the giant shape of the batteries

They've got an angle drill that uses the huge batteries and it's not that bad, it stands up quite stable.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Costco has those LED shoplights in store and on sale again. Finally bought one on impulse.... And will probably get more after Christmas.

E: having just set it up, I want three more. These are awesome.

briefcasefullof fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 22, 2017

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

QuarkMartial posted:

Costco has those LED shoplights in store and on sale again. Finally bought one on impulse.... And will probably get more after Christmas.

I cannot wait to move and set up a new garage with LED strip lighting continuous at knee level like I'm working in a paint booth.

And a lighted floor. That should be a thing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

StormDrain posted:

I have some questions for you regarding your relationship with Billie Jean.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

QuarkMartial posted:

I had one of the original ones that was just on/off and left it in an ex's garage. I bought one of the new fancy motion-sensing ones to replace it and it's really nice - fully adjustable brightness, motion sensitivity range, timed duration, etc. Definitely worth the $35 or whatever.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:

StormDrain posted:

John travolta style? poo poo he even wears a white suit like in a spray booth.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I guess the practical answer is the low lighting and a lift.

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite

QuarkMartial posted:

I had three along the back of the garage and just grabbed two more for the front of the left bay where the workin car goes.

It is glorious, bright like the sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Anyone have a link for those little clips for storing the m18 batteries on the wall/under a shelf?