Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I would love to be able to bring my dog into work but he has some bad separation anxiety and barks his head off whenever I leave him somewhere, which would probably be annoying as hell to everyone else. Or, it could be a great excuse to not have to leave my office for any meetings!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

C-Euro posted:

I would love to be able to bring my dog into work but he has some bad separation anxiety and barks his head off whenever I leave him somewhere, which would probably be annoying as hell to everyone else. Or, it could be a great excuse to not have to leave my office for any meetings!

Bring your dog to meetings.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Keetron posted:

Bring your dog to meetings.

He's also super-friendly and nothing would get done in meetings.

So business as usual amirite goons *laugh track* *spinning bowtie noise*

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I wish I could bring my dog to work. Whenever I'm at the computer she just lays on my feet.

Some people might not thinks it's work appropriate to have a 50 lbs dog jumping at them to lick their face though. I can sort of see their point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
we have some dogs in our office, they are chill as gently caress except one who is the devil

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'd quit for any job that let me bring the hound in tbh

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'd like to bring my dog in but I'd feel real bad about her putting her white hair literally everywhere

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

http://runt-of-the-web.com/dog-forts

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
My dad brings his dog to work still, his office has a rotation so it's a new dog everyday.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
http://mspmag.com/shop-and-style/local-shop-dogs-with-their-own-instagram-accounts/

Dogs in shops are usually pretty good.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
"It's extremely important that you call this person TODAY!"
"Okay, I mean I've been calling every day and -"
"Yeah but their account is on notice of cancellation!"
"Okay."

*calls, leaves message*

"AAAHHH DON'T LEAVE A MESSAGE!"

:wtc:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Moridin920 posted:

"Okay."

*calls, leaves message*

the gently caress are you supposed to do, keep dialing every 20 seconds until they pick up?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Moridin920 posted:

"Okay."

*calls, leaves message*

This is someone who worked in collections previously. They typically train you to call as many times as possible because it's hard to ignore a ringing phone but it's easy to ignore a voicemail. The reason you don't do both is because if you leave a voicemail and continue to call it's more likely to be viewed as harassment. Also, you typically can't explain why you're calling in the voicemail anyway or you run afoul of FDCPA guidelines for privacy.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.
Non-lovely collections agencies / law firms will have some monitoring for the number of attempts made per number per day as well. Calling someone multiple times in a close period is an easy FDCPA harassment claim.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah the problem is there's no stated limit so it's open to interpretation of what harassment is. Every past due borrower thinks a single call is too much and the collections company thinks you shouldnt be able to sleep until you've paid.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
It's weird how working in a toxic as gently caress environment fucks up your perceptions of poo poo. The company I work for now makes the usual corporate mouth noises about empathy and career growth. Except they seem to actually believe in it. I've done some professional development here where they sent me for certifications and paid for all of it. But my position is travel based. So I just kind of assumed that's why they had me expense the airfare and stuff. But today I was talking with an HR intern and I learned that we send our interns to conferences and have a special expense processes set up for them where basically they are advanced the money, return the difference then fill out the expense report. And I get that the purpose of internships is for people to learn something and not just be slave labor. But actually seeing it is weird. Like I actively find that weird as gently caress. I mean I know it's how it's supposed to be but I'm not used to seeing that.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

MickeyFinn posted:

Dear weird bring-your-dog-to-work people,

Please make sure your dog is well behaved and not racist. Bringing a dog to work that only barks at our black coworkers is... bad.

King of the Hill episode

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

C-Euro posted:

He's also super-friendly and nothing would get done in meetings.

So business as usual amirite goons *laugh track* *spinning bowtie noise*

Groucho marx cigar “yah see yah see, serious business”, cue slide whistle

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Quandary posted:

On the contrary, I like dogs and my day would be improved if my coworkers regularly let me plays with their dogs at work

One of the very few positive things about the ad agency was its dog-friendly policy. I haven't had a dog in 30 years and have enevr missed having them, but I still miss The Burrito, Ruby (The Rube !) et al.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Bring Your Bird to Work Day is far superior to all this dogchat

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I used to work on city golf courses and my superintendent brought his dogs with him everyday. They were really there to chase geese off the course and one of them chased an elk across the course, but it was always fun to have the dogs around.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Thomamelas posted:

It's weird how working in a toxic as gently caress environment fucks up your perceptions of poo poo. The company I work for now makes the usual corporate mouth noises about empathy and career growth. Except they seem to actually believe in it. I've done some professional development here where they sent me for certifications and paid for all of it. But my position is travel based. So I just kind of assumed that's why they had me expense the airfare and stuff. But today I was talking with an HR intern and I learned that we send our interns to conferences and have a special expense processes set up for them where basically they are advanced the money, return the difference then fill out the expense report. And I get that the purpose of internships is for people to learn something and not just be slave labor. But actually seeing it is weird. Like I actively find that weird as gently caress. I mean I know it's how it's supposed to be but I'm not used to seeing that.

Thanks for reminding me that my company sucks, ive had them spring for one AMA course in 5 years. Also i was literally so nervous about them finding a reason for me to miss my license test date i didnt tell anyone what i was doing that day, but it worked out because it turns out no one gives a poo poo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Weatherman posted:

Bring Your Bird to Work Day is far superior to all this dogchat

I would glare heavily if someone brought their bird to work :catstare:

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Wait you mean companies actually provide training for employees to help with career advancement?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Thomamelas posted:

My former employer prided itself on its company culture and employee engagement, and I thought those were bullshit concepts until I got to my current employer who probably doesn't even what employee engagement is. When I leave and they ask me in the exit interview what went wrong, I'm going to tell them that I never felt like they gave a poo poo about me or my career growth outside of "does he do his job well?".

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Wait you mean companies actually provide training for employees to help with career advancement?

At my former employer you were required to complete a certain number of hours of continuing education every quarter/year. That sounds like a pain on-paper but they were pretty loose with their definition of "continuing education", and there were a number of ways you could game the system. They also provided a lot of on-site training and seminars and such that you could attend for those credits.

My year-end performance review is coming up and I was going to say that one of my goals for 2018 was to get into our product development lab more and shadow some people so I can gain a better technical understanding of our formulas...except I just got confirmation that I'm being moved to our corporate headquarters next month and will no longer be at the same site as our product development labs. Oops!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 9, 2017

Higgy
Jul 6, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Shrieking Muppet posted:

They paid my labor and the cost of a week long PMP bootcamp, and the cost of the test for me to get that certification since I was getting into project management. I also get some level of "Professional Development Hours" that I can charge labor to just kind of learn poo poo. They're also paying my tuition for a masters program.

Come one over if you're a scientist, engineer, software dev or otherwise. The grass is green in government contractor land.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

C-Euro posted:

My former employer prided itself on its company culture and employee engagement, and I thought those were bullshit concepts until I got to my current employer who probably doesn't even what employee engagement is. When I leave and they ask me in the exit interview what went wrong, I'm going to tell them that I never felt like they gave a poo poo about me or my career growth outside of "does he do his job well?".

When I was at the J&J subsidiary, my training & career development budget for my entire department was less than $500, including travel. Pretty much the only way to get someone a "development opportunity" was to hopefully find a seminar at another company site and tell the employee to drive the 3-6 hours each way to get there.

Meanwhile, my new place is paying for most of my co-worker's MBA at Berkeley even though it has nothing to do with her career track. She claims there are no strings attached either apart from maintaining a current GPA / full-time employment, but I wouldn't be surprised if she missed something like "agrees to work here for X years post-completion, blah blah." Either way, mostly-free MBA is pretty sweet.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Sundae posted:

When I was at the J&J subsidiary, my training & career development budget for my entire department was less than $500, including travel. Pretty much the only way to get someone a "development opportunity" was to hopefully find a seminar at another company site and tell the employee to drive the 3-6 hours each way to get there.

Meanwhile, my new place is paying for most of my co-worker's MBA at Berkeley even though it has nothing to do with her career track. She claims there are no strings attached either apart from maintaining a current GPA / full-time employment, but I wouldn't be surprised if she missed something like "agrees to work here for X years post-completion, blah blah." Either way, mostly-free MBA is pretty sweet.

To their credit I think my employer offers tuition reimbursement as well, but when the pay is so low that it forces me to take a second job just to save money I don't have a lot of free time for coursework :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

C-Euro posted:

... but when the pay is so low that it forces me to take a second job just to save money...

Kill them. All of them.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Higgy posted:

They paid my labor and the cost of a week long PMP bootcamp, and the cost of the test for me to get that certification since I was getting into project management. I also get some level of "Professional Development Hours" that I can charge labor to just kind of learn poo poo. They're also paying my tuition for a masters program.

Come one over if you're a scientist, engineer, software dev or otherwise. The grass is green in government contractor land.

I've been trying to move that way but apparently my skill set is worthless.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Previous employer paid for my master, then gave me a severance package three months after I finished. That had apparently escaped HR - it wasn’t mentioned anywhere in the severance papers, and when I brought it up after signing them the director of HR basically went :aaa:

A+, would get canned again.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
I actually just got the details for my company's actuarial study program, the least amount of paid study time I get for an exam is 90 hours

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

C-Euro posted:

At my former employer you were required to complete a certain number of hours of continuing education every quarter/year. That sounds like a pain on-paper but they were pretty loose with their definition of "continuing education", and there were a number of ways you could game the system. They also provided a lot of on-site training and seminars and such that you could attend for those credits.

My current company requires that everyone in the technology organization 40 hours a year of some sort of training. They were loose about the type of training, such that if you could make a reasonable case in a couple sentences how it'd help your job, then it's considered relevant training and they'd count it + reimburse you. They also paid up to $8,000 a year toward the costs.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
company is paying for my mba and regularly drops up to 10k on employee driven development, and has lots of formally organized courses at their internal "university" that are actually good

the most high profile one right now is we have a partnership with TED where you get presentation training for a few months then speak at our tedx

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Had my first screaming phone call from a Senior VP the other day! I had given two months notice that I would be leaving at the end of the year and I know they were still scrambling to find someone to replace me since I work on a high-needs client - but quite honestly they aren't paying enough and I know a couple of well-qualified consultants had already turned them down. He called to see if I would stay on until the middle of January, but when I politely declined he absolutely went off. I wasn't being a team player, I wasn't thinking about the needs of the client, it's hard to find a replacement and get them up to speed during the holidays, I wasn't leaving on a good note, etc.

I'm glad I remained polite while being very firm that I still wasn't going to extend, but was very jarring to have him to go from happy and friendly to utterly, sociopathically manipulative in the blink of an eye when I turned him down. In retrospect, I really wish that I had made it clear that what he was saying and how he was saying it was completely unacceptable and quit on the spot because that certainly would have made him look bad to the client - and who the hell thinks it's appropriate to call and threaten someone that's worked hard to make you and the company look excellent the entire past year? There's already major dissent and unrest in the home office over working conditions/expectations, and I know every single person there (except for management apparently) completely understands why I gave my notice and some of them are preparing to follow suit. Unfortunately I really AM too much of a pushover creampuff when it comes to being a team player, since all I could think about was how bad I would feel for my team if I walked away right now with everything that's still left to do before the end of the year. But gently caress that guy, though.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Sometimes I feel like getting PTSD from reading this thread alone.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
The best part for me:

They couldn't find a replacement in the 2 months notice you gave them? Why would an extra 2 weeks change anything? That "middle of January" will turn into "middle of February" and you'd be working there until June if he had it his way.

gently caress that guy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Actually more likely they'd keep you until the client left because they're fed up from dealing with that guy and it'd be your fault anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Renegret posted:

Actually more likely they'd keep you until the client left because they're fed up from dealing with that guy and it'd be your fault anyway.

And then they would fire you, while using your spare working time with them to find a way to bill you for past training or some bullshit so you ended up owing them money.