Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Nessus posted:

The tech manual talks about how they have small amounts of antimatter and some other kind of super-explosive distributed throughout the ship, because probably large segments of the spaceframe - possibly laden with goodies or technical details - would probably survive if you just turned off the magnets in the antimatter storage tanks, as the resulting explosion would blow the ship apart.

That's because the explosion in Search for Spock wasn't 'engine explodey' enough. IIRC, the excuse was that an antimatter explosion near a planet would be catastrophic so they had a second method installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dirty posted:

Also "auto destruct is offline". Why do Starfleet's last-resport systems like auto-destruct and the warp core eject fail at the time they are needed most?

"I guess we can't blow up the ship then, ohhhh well"
Psst I won't tell anyone you could just shoot a phaser at the warp core. Your secret is safe with me; I'm a coward too.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

thexerox123 posted:

The joke is that his movie reviews are just as much a symptom of his derangement as his serial killing is.

I haven't seen them discuss this, but I think a lot of it was wanting to do movie reviews without sounding like the nasal, whining nerds that were synonymous with "vlogger" even then (2008-9? The original Generations YouTube video links to Myspace for the full thing). They were coming from the horror/splatter comedy DIY scene, so they made up a horrifying/goofy character to use. That approach (comedy with the horror played straight) has mostly disappeared, but it was fairly prevalent around that time - you saw a lot of it in the later Reno911!, for instance. Or hell, the Something Awful front page.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I've been working my way through DS9 for the first time, currently a few episodes into season 4. This is a drat good show. The technobabble gets a little tiring, to the point where I kind of zone it out, but almost all of the characters are great. So far I'd say season 3 had the most low points, but still had good episodes. Now they seem to be ramping up the dominion threat and loving Worf is there! Really looking forward to working through the rest of the series.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Also how to the universal translators work? There were some klingon tough guys talking poo poo in Quark's, then one of them insulted Odo's father in klingon and Dax reveals that she understood him. Like shouldn't the translator have just done its job in the first place, why did Dax have to translate

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Also how to the universal translators work?

Perfectly fine, thank you.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Also how to the universal translators work? There were some klingon tough guys talking poo poo in Quark's, then one of them insulted Odo's father in klingon and Dax reveals that she understood him. Like shouldn't the translator have just done its job in the first place, why did Dax have to translate

People do seem to be able to choose to say phrases un-translated at will.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Dirty posted:

The fact that the Scimitar cannot get out the way of a lumbering Enterprise. The fact that Picard can't have been serious about using auto-destruct since he didn't try and time it with the ram, he waited until Scimitar had backed off. Also "auto destruct is offline".

This was actually one bit I liked, even though it's logically stupid. It was a subversion of expectations since we'd seen the heroic self-destruct countdown so many times at this point.

thexerox123 posted:

What would those parts even be?

Maybe get rid of the whole B4 subplot, keep the Reman and Troi mind rape stuff to a minimum, and focus on Picard/Shinzon? I mean, the whole thing is kind of a grim poo poo sandwich but maybe you could at least remove the extremely embarrassing stuff from the equation and be left with a mediocre space action movie?

I'm not going to watch it to run the experiment, though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

thexerox123 posted:

People do seem to be able to choose to say phrases un-translated at will.

There's a little eyebrow twitch that's the gestural version of [transloff] [/transloff]. Keep an eye out for it next time!

(What about species that don't have eyebrows?)
Shuuuuut uuuuuuup! :ssh:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The whole idea of Shinzon is dumb and bad. We already saw what a twenty year old Picard looks like for one thing. The romulans aren't so stupid that they think Picard has some sort of genetic destiny for another.

I can't believe they loving "cloned" his baldness :gonk:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Nessus posted:

The tech manual talks about how they have small amounts of antimatter and some other kind of super-explosive distributed throughout the ship, because probably large segments of the spaceframe - possibly laden with goodies or technical details - would probably survive if you just turned off the magnets in the antimatter storage tanks, as the resulting explosion would blow the ship apart.

This is the sort of stuff that drives me nuts in a realism way.

Ok, yeah, it makes sense from a military standpoint that you'd want certain gear to be destroyed in the event you abandon the ship. We do that now. But rigging the ship with explosives or giving it the ability to pump nerve gas out of the a/c vents is insane.

And, frankly, there's no technology that everyone else doesn't already have. The only things you really need to destroy is your crypto gear and that can be handled with less than a multi-kilton device.

Although these knuckleheads decided it would be a good idea to give every ship a PIN you can use to take it over remotely, so I welcome the embrace and love of the Founders.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Apparently old jet fighters used to have shotgun shells inside their crypto gear and comms to destroy the sensitive information inside. Effective, but we've moved on thankfully. I hope they were pointed away from the pilots, at any rate.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Sarcastr0 posted:

That's because the explosion in Search for Spock wasn't 'engine explodey' enough. IIRC, the excuse was that an antimatter explosion near a planet would be catastrophic so they had a second method installed.

And yet the ship's warp core and antimatter tanks entered the atmosphere and impacted the planet afterwards.

Dirty
Apr 8, 2003

Ceci n'est pas un fabricant de pates

Sash! posted:

Although these knuckleheads decided it would be a good idea to give every ship a PIN you can use to take it over remotely, so I welcome the embrace and love of the Founders.

Even worse - the PIN was 5 digits and none of them could repeat, judging by the terrible design of Spock's keypad.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It was actually a random number generator and he had to flip the switch to lock a digit in place.

Starfleet UI is extremely bad.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sash! posted:

giving it the ability to pump nerve gas out of the a/c vents is insane.

Hey, it worked against Khan.

and uh, I guess against everyone but Data too.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Honestly Nemesis was terrible all around, but the thing that killed me most when I saw it in the theater was how clearly cheap it all was. Everything down to the score and sound effects just felt off to me, even as a dumb teenager. Even though Insurrection wasn't high art or anything, it still felt like Star Trek and had music and effects in line with the other movies. You could tell Nemesis was just thrown together to try and squeeze a last few dollars from the stone.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DrNutt posted:

Honestly Nemesis was terrible all around, but the thing that killed me most when I saw it in the theater was how clearly cheap it all was. Everything down to the score and sound effects just felt off to me, even as a dumb teenager. Even though Insurrection wasn't high art or anything, it still felt like Star Trek and had music and effects in line with the other movies. You could tell Nemesis was just thrown together to try and squeeze a last few dollars from the stone.

Which is hilarious, because I think it was the biggest budget TNG film to date.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Wesley is currently being tested to join Star Fleet. Why is it they only let one person of the group he’s testing with into Star Fleet? Seems like a dumb and arbitrary thing. Clearly the rest of the group is also qualified, so why turn down good potential? It’s not a loving frat, they need all the help they can get I would imagine.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

DrNutt posted:

Jerry Goldsmith's score for Nemesis was the weakest of his TNG movies and even the phasers/torpedo effects looked and sounded anemic

Seriously I know it's nitpicky and it's been brought up before, but what the hell happened to Star Trek's sound FX? They used to be all heavy and reverby until they peaked with the battle scene in First Contact, and everything after that got tinnier and weaker sounding. The hell?

e: it's endlessly amusing to me that now with STD, Trek has come full circle and now it's futuristic space lasers sound just like the little static fart guns from Forbidden Planet

Tighclops fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 9, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

Which is hilarious, because I think it was the biggest budget TNG film to date.

At $60 million, it was actually cheaper than Insurrection (which came in close to $70 million after the re-shoots), though of course a substantial amount of the budget went to Stewart's salary and a massive payday for Spiner.

I think my favorite part of Nemesis being cheap is the new tricorder, which is literally a Palm Pilot with some greebles glued to it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The TNG movies, specially the later ones, are so bad they nearly make me dislike Brent and Patrick.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Sash! posted:

This is the sort of stuff that drives me nuts in a realism way.

Ok, yeah, it makes sense from a military standpoint that you'd want certain gear to be destroyed in the event you abandon the ship. We do that now. But rigging the ship with explosives or giving it the ability to pump nerve gas out of the a/c vents is insane.

And, frankly, there's no technology that everyone else doesn't already have. The only things you really need to destroy is your crypto gear and that can be handled with less than a multi-kilton device.

Well for the Federales there's also Prime Directive concerns. If the front third of the Enterprise landed in the middle of the Nevada desert, glowingly radioactive and obviously constructed, we would probably assume it was built by aliens.

Also, the techno-security thing may not be a huge concern *at the time of TNG* but I'm sure the policy would continue if there was a time where it was.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Timby posted:

At $60 million, it was actually cheaper than Insurrection (which came in close to $70 million after the re-shoots), though of course a substantial amount of the budget went to Stewart's salary and a massive payday for Spiner.

I think my favorite part of Nemesis being cheap is the new tricorder, which is literally a Palm Pilot with some greebles glued to it.

For some reason that Palm Pilot is the only thing I still remember about Elite Force 2.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Baronjutter posted:

The TNG movies, specially the later ones, are so bad they nearly make me dislike Brent and Patrick.

They're definitely case studies in why you don't let the actors have creative control (and in Nemesis' case, why you don't let turbonerds write).

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That dinky little plastic panel that flips up on the Palm Pilot tricorder is the dumbest loving thing. And goddamn, look at the lighting in that screenshot, hideous.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

McSpanky posted:

That dinky little plastic panel that flips up on the Palm Pilot tricorder is the dumbest loving thing. And goddamn, look at the lighting in that screenshot, hideous.

Stuart Baird thought that was a good composition.

Stuart Baird is not a good director (although he absolutely phoned it in, because Nemesis being Paramount's "thank you" gig to him pissed him right the hell off).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

McSpanky posted:

And goddamn, look at the lighting in that screenshot, hideous.

It took me a second to realize that wasn’t a tv episode screenshot.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

Stuart Baird thought that was a good composition.

Stuart Baird is not a good director (although he absolutely phoned it in, because Nemesis being Paramount's "thank you" gig to him pissed him right the hell off).

A thank you for what? That’s like being given a Christmas card someone found in the garbage.

I also love Stuart Baird’s insistance that Geordie was an alien, despite LeVar Burton and literally everyone else telling him otherwise. Also his decision to digitally pitch down Michael Dorn’s voice, completely arbitrarily.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

A thank you for what? That’s like being given a Christmas card someone found in the garbage.

Doing last-minute jobs to re-edit Mission: Impossible 2 and Tomb Raider, both of which were considered disasters prior to release (John Woo had turned in a cut of M:I 2 nearly three hours long that was said to be incomprehensible). They both made a fuckton of money for Paramount, and so as a way of saying thank you to Baird (who had flopped badly in his prior two directorial efforts, Executive Decision and US Marshals), he was promised a high-profile directing gig.

That gig wound up being Nemesis; Sherry Lansing forced Berman to hire him. Baird was displeased.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Timby posted:

Doing last-minute jobs to re-edit Mission: Impossible 2 and Tomb Raider, both of which were considered disasters prior to release (John Woo had turned in a cut of M:I 2 nearly three hours long that was said to be incomprehensible). They both made a fuckton of money for Paramount, and so as a way of saying thank you to Baird (who had flopped badly in his prior two directorial efforts, Executive Decision and US Marshals), he was promised a high-profile directing gig.

That gig wound up being Nemesis; Sherry Lansing forced Berman to hire him. Baird was displeased.

That is actually hilarious. It does speak well of Baird as an editor, but that skill set doesn’t always translate into a good director. I wonder if they were initially just thinking Frakes would helm it again before Paramount got involved.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HD DAD posted:

That is actually hilarious. It does speak well of Baird as an editor, but that skill set doesn’t always translate into a good director. I wonder if they were initially just thinking Frakes would helm it again before Paramount got involved.

It just speaks to how much of a clusterfuck the production was. You had a director who didn't want to be there, directing a script by an awful writer who had a "no rewrites" clause in his contract.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Windows 98 posted:

Wesley is currently being tested to join Star Fleet. Why is it they only let one person of the group he’s testing with into Star Fleet? Seems like a dumb and arbitrary thing. Clearly the rest of the group is also qualified, so why turn down good potential? It’s not a loving frat, they need all the help they can get I would imagine.

This is peak TNG Season 1 stupidity with Rodenberry's "Humanity is perfect and Starfleet must be the most perfect of the Perfect!" with loving Yoda cave personality tests and poo poo. After this season, you'll never see anything like that again, which makes sense because I'm sure Starfleet keeps running charts of which % of a given year's graduates are eaten, have eggs laid in them, step on exploding rocks, etc. They can't be picky.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I have an old Nemesis DVD with Stu Baird's commentary track buried in storage somewhere. He mostly just goes on about how much he loves wide angle shots and then leaves like half an hour into the movie.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

:lol: Yar’s anti-drug speech to Wesley was almost too much

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

HD DAD posted:

I also love Stuart Baird’s insistance that Geordie was an alien, despite LeVar Burton and literally everyone else telling him otherwise. Also his decision to digitally pitch down Michael Dorn’s voice, completely arbitrarily.

What the gently caress? Usually for macho warrior aliens they down-pitch voices. Why the hell would you make dorn more high pitched?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

HD DAD posted:

You mean Laverne?

Baronjutter posted:

What the gently caress? Usually for macho warrior aliens they down-pitch voices. Why the hell would you make dorn more high pitched?

I think you read that backwards.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

McNally posted:

You mean Laverne?

I think you read that backwards.

Oh yeah I did, I thought they thought dorn's voice was too deep. Apparently it wasn't deep enough? It's still a weird thing to do because wouldn't you want his voice consistent between movies/shows?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Oh no, :rip: Yar :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light