Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BadLlama posted:

Well supposedly they are rebalancing some of the maps they are making into HD?

Oh let me go get a snack while I wait, this might take them a while.... :munch:

Azhais posted:

All I've heard about is just getting rid of some of the climbs

Also lol if you think they're ever going to be released. It's gonna be the Duke Nukem Forever of features

DNF was released 6.5 years ago....:ssh:

Also, LOL about getting rid of "some of" the climbs.... Thanks, Wargaming! :jerkbag:

Prav posted:

the map team has rebalanced just about every map several times. lots and lots of effort has been put in.

yet it's debatable if they've been improved at all.

They have not. :colbert:

Prav posted:

there was AW but obsidian are eternal fuckups, and also War Thunder which seemed to have messed up core gameplay so i never even tried it and also it's a flight sim or something

No, Obsidian was the competent developer, the publisher "my.com" or whatever hosed up. Obsidian had an actual vision for a unique modern tank game, and the publisher suppressed them before finally dumping them to turn it into a literal WoT clone.

McGavin posted:

I keep getting autoassigned to the ALGUM BR? server and I have to play a game before I notice. It is as bad as you'd expect.

When you get on the BR server you have to follow through with the experience by asking "EN? EN?@???!?" in chat.

Also just use the mod that remembers your preferred server.

HFX posted:

I told you. My predictions regarding the MM were exactly correct.

Also, light tank chat. While the 90MM on the T49 is an improvement, it still is a mostly worthless tank that cannot really contribute to the battle. In fact, other than the premium lights, I struggle to find almost any case where I wouldn't rather be in a medium.

This has been the problem all along with MTs making LTs obsolete. Wargaming has no idea how to make scouts useful, unique, and viable.

McGavin posted:

I just had a guy on my team whose WN8 matched his win rate at 44.

That actually seems like a high WR for 44 WN8. :stare:

Control Volume posted:

You cant point to a different path as if new players are going to magically know what tanks to avoid.

That's the problem with the game as a whole, both in terms of the lack of proper training/tutorial and in that a developer should not intentionally put shitbrick speedbumps into their game. lovely tanks just make you not want to play the game (and spend more money on it) but good tanks make you want to keep them, play them more, and most importantly spend money on shiny camo, equipment, and crews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Pendent posted:

I too enjoy not being able to repair the tracks of my tank until I grind out a module.

an easy price to pay in exchange for competent modeling, intuitive spotting mechanics, decent map design and no horseshit gods-eye artillery

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Azhais posted:

All I've heard about is just getting rid of some of the climbs

Also lol if you think they're ever going to be released. It's gonna be the Duke Nukem Forever of features

Hey now, don't say that. We never though HD models would come out but most of them have! It's only taken them several years to get like 70% of the way there.

McGavin posted:

I keep getting autoassigned to the ALGUM BR? server and I have to play a game before I notice. It is as bad as you'd expect.

At least it's more noticeable than when you'd get assigned to NA West and it'd take you a couple games to wonder, "why are 10+ players dealing 0 damage every game/why are five of my teammates AFK?"

Prav posted:

the map team has rebalanced just about every map several times. lots and lots of effort has been put in.

yet it's debatable if they've been improved at all.

Redshire is a vast improvement over what it used to be. It's still poo poo but it's better. El Halluf is a vast improvement over what it used to be. It's still poo poo but it's better. Arctic Region....well it's not worse than it used to be. Somehow they managed to remove Sacred Valley, change it, and put it back it as the worst map in the game. That's truly amazing.

I don't know if there's any chance the HD maps will be a success. Just think about the maps that aren't in the game anymore. Pearl River was utter trash, then they changed it to add more paths and eventually removed it because they're loving morons. All they had to do was remove ALL base camping positions and that map would have been fine with the artillery changes. Dragon Ridge was removed because Wargaming wants us to suffer and we cannot have nice things. Port was removed because apparently it's cheaper to remove the map instead of changing it. Northwest (the mining map?) was unbalanced garbage and was unfixable without massive changes. Same with Severogorsk and South Coast and Komarin and Hidden Village. Wargaming has a tendency to make their maps slightly better with redesigns, and if the first redesign doesn't work, they just throw the whole map away for some reason. If the HD maps do actually have gameplay changes, there's a decent chance they'll be for the worse simply because Wargaming's lead map designer is a crayon eating moron.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

DonkeyHotay posted:

tanks is somehow way worse than it was years ago so i just picked war thunder up completely sight unseen two weeks ago and the core gameplay loop is so much better than wot's

I played War Thunder during the closed beta and the tanks were pretty fun. I just tried it out again a few months ago and the tank experience was not fun, at all. I'd take out my panther and get one-shot in 8 out of 10 matches. Great realism though.

The planes are super fun.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
For as lovely as AW is, I've got to say I like their Advent Calendar idea more:

You also don't 'miss' a present if you miss a day. That's a nice touch.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

HFX posted:

Also, light tank chat. While the 90MM on the T49 is an improvement, it still is a mostly worthless tank that cannot really contribute to the battle. In fact, other than the premium lights, I struggle to find almost any case where I wouldn't rather be in a medium.

I would disagree.
The T49 is basically the closest we got to the old tier5 Chaffee with tier5-10 MM.
Basically the same MM, but more HP and pen. If you knew how to do it then, it is basically the same thing again but better.
It is btw a tank that greatly benefits from Autoaim+, since the whole point of it is to drive around like a maniac and snap-shooting.

Hellsau posted:

Redshire is a vast improvement over what it used to be. It's still poo poo but it's better. El Halluf is a vast improvement over what it used to be. It's still poo poo but it's better. Arctic Region....well it's not worse than it used to be. Somehow they managed to remove Sacred Valley, change it, and put it back it as the worst map in the game. That's truly amazing.

I don't know if there's any chance the HD maps will be a success. Just think about the maps that aren't in the game anymore. Pearl River was utter trash, then they changed it to add more paths and eventually removed it because they're loving morons. All they had to do was remove ALL base camping positions and that map would have been fine with the artillery changes. Dragon Ridge was removed because Wargaming wants us to suffer and we cannot have nice things. Port was removed because apparently it's cheaper to remove the map instead of changing it. Northwest (the mining map?) was unbalanced garbage and was unfixable without massive changes. Same with Severogorsk and South Coast and Komarin and Hidden Village. Wargaming has a tendency to make their maps slightly better with redesigns, and if the first redesign doesn't work, they just throw the whole map away for some reason. If the HD maps do actually have gameplay changes, there's a decent chance they'll be for the worse simply because Wargaming's lead map designer is a crayon eating moron.

How many iterations of Komarin did we have in the end? Worst map ever.
Svamp was redesigned and is pretty broken for north side, since you can just send one tank to scout the southern ridge while being covered by TDs on the northern ridge.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Cardiac posted:

How many iterations of Komarin did we have in the end? Worst map ever.
Svamp was redesigned and is pretty broken for north side, since you can just send one tank to scout the southern ridge while being covered by TDs on the northern ridge.

Swamp is such bullshit because it's lane gameplay with only two halflanes, and those lanes are one-way since going castle from north is suicide and going northeast from south is unsupportable, and trying to approach the enemy base from either corner is suicide, so it's either one team getting stomped for being bad or a campfest.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This made me go log into AW and check it out. As in your pic, I can only open days 1 and 2 - I cannot open today's or any in between, any idea why? The news page doesn't shed much light on it either:

quote:

Log in every day from December 7 2017 to January 1 2018 to the dedicated web page to receive your daily present. Each present is, however, only available for two days – make sure to log in every day to obtain your gift!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Darkrenown posted:

This made me go log into AW and check it out. As in your pic, I can only open days 1 and 2 - I cannot open today's or any in between, any idea why? The news page doesn't shed much light on it either:

I didn't notice the 'two day limit.' I've a feeling you can't open the third day yet because it's not the unlock time in whatever godforsaken Eastern European/Russian city AW's HQed in. I moved to the European server a long time ago.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I guess, I thought it was like an Advent calendar and had started from Dec 1st.

I downloaded a 25GB update to check what AW is like these days. At the end of it I tried to log in only to be told the servers were down and I should "check the forums for details" :shrug:

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah but how can WG monetize this

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Hellsau posted:

Northwest (the mining map?) was unbalanced garbage and was unfixable without massive changes.

Holy poo poo I completely blocked this map from my mind. This map...wow. Port was also horrific, but could be amusing if everyone ended up in a crazy death ball. Severogorsk was also really freaking bad. Man how do you take something that involves exploding other things and make it so soul crushing :(

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Holy poo poo I completely blocked this map from my mind. This map...wow. Port was also horrific, but could be amusing if everyone ended up in a crazy death ball. Severogorsk was also really freaking bad. Man how do you take something that involves exploding other things and make it so soul crushing :(

We did a Map Exhibition tournament on Northwest. Unsurprisingly, North could not lose unless they played so badly that they chose to lose.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Since the Tiger 131 is the current advent calendar deal, is it a reasonably okay crew trainer for German heavies? Don't have a crew trainer yet, because I went with the JT88 over the Löwe what feels like seventeen years ago.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Since the Tiger 131 is the current advent calendar deal, is it a reasonably okay crew trainer for German heavies? Don't have a crew trainer yet, because I went with the JT88 over the Löwe what feels like seventeen years ago.

Maybe. it comes with its own 100% bia crew, so I'm actually just using it and my 4503 to train up that crew instead of my normal one so I have a spare crew for the 7201 line if I decide to finish off the german tree

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Hellsau posted:

Swamp is such bullshit because it's lane gameplay with only two halflanes, and those lanes are one-way since going castle from north is suicide and going northeast from south is unsupportable, and trying to approach the enemy base from either corner is suicide, so it's either one team getting stomped for being bad or a campfest.

Swamp is also so hilariously unbalanced towards the north spawn, especially if they have a tank with gun depression that goes to G1 or G2.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

serious gaylord posted:

Swamp is also so hilariously unbalanced towards the north spawn, especially if they have a tank with gun depression that goes to G1 or G2.

Anyone I've ever seen do this just gets rushed since if they're in G1 or G2 they're also hidden from the northern snipers

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Azhais posted:

Anyone I've ever seen do this just gets rushed since if they're in G1 or G2 they're also hidden from the northern snipers

I realise I meant to type G6 & 7. 1 & 2 is decent but you get hit hard by enemy arty.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just had BurgdoffAmi on my team. First time I've ever seen a player with a WN8 of 1. Overall win rate of 38.8%, rounding up.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

McGavin posted:

Just had BurgdoffAmi on my team. First time I've ever seen a player with a WN8 of 1. Overall win rate of 38.8%, rounding up.
Based on my experience today he's one of the good players.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

McGavin posted:

That's the first time you've ever seen a bot? :confused:

Average damage 85, average tier 3.4, >1k battles.
111 battles in the M10, <30% winrate. :stare:

That's a bot, champ. Or a statbadder. Which reminds me, who wants to create statbadding accounts to see just how low we can go?!?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

quote:

Wheeled vehicles will be introduced. The only known info is that right now, WG is at the info gathering stage, and that the planned ETA is 2019-2020. One of the first ‘tanks’ will be the Puma. As Rykoszet states, implementing the vehicles IS NOT SURE, but very probable. However, the info that WG is searching for data and has plans to introduced wheeled vehicles is a fact.

Huh.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i guess they finally ran out of napkins

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Atomizer posted:

That's the first time you've ever seen a bot? :confused:

Average damage 85, average tier 3.4, >1k battles.
111 battles in the M10, <30% winrate. :stare:

That's a bot, champ. Or a statbadder. Which reminds me, who wants to create statbadding accounts to see just how low we can go?!?

I'm pretty sure it's some dude's wife and her name is Ami Burgdoff and her husband's name is Glenn. Oh, guess what, , so yes she is a real person, and she is really that bad, champ.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Dec 11, 2017

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
E-25 available on the european server lmao.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I got a VK 45.03 in some competition and it's pretty good so I'm going to assume they'll sell it again soon so maybe buy that instead?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fat Jesus posted:

I got a VK 45.03 in some competition and it's pretty good so I'm going to assume they'll sell it again soon so maybe buy that instead?

I bought the 131 purely for the TR mission, I'll be honest

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

I thought the 131 was the japanese one, and I hadn't played in months till a few days ago and there's a bunch of tanks I don't recognize like a Guard and a someothertiger and lol @ how many E25's are in every 7ish battle though most are poorly played, like they ram into some HT's side and hold down butan thinking they can't be shot totally forgetting their victim has 3 other HT's with him. Also I can't win probably need to but premium time to get better MM, right?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Fat Jesus posted:

Also I can't win probably need to but premium time to get better MM, right?

You can't win because almost everyone playing right now is loving terrible.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

McGavin posted:

How is that different from normal?

Also WG have murdered the Lefh.
No splash and changed HE mechanics killed it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

It's going to take them 2+ years to add wheeled vehicles...after the several years this game's already been in development?! :psyduck:

McGavin posted:

I'm pretty sure it's some dude's wife and her name is Ami Burgdoff and her husband's name is Glenn. Oh, guess what, [, so yes she is a real person, and she is really that bad, champ.

Wow, nice job being a loving creep cyberstalker! :stare: I don't give a poo poo that that's somebody's actual name, it's still really loving creepy that you had to look that up.

Anyways, you can still name an account after an actual person and run a bot on it, champ! :eng101: WN values are a measure of what you do in the game. Unless a WN8 of 0 (or <0) is possible, 1 indicates that that account is not being actively (or seriously) played by a real human. We should really do the statbadding experiment to see just how poorly an account can look but there's no doubt that that's not a "real" account.

Cardiac posted:

I thought they couldn't nerf any premium tanks?!? That's why the M41 90 is so OP, etc.

(Also, I think, if they were smart, maybe they could've gotten around that "no nerf or refunds offered" legal drama if they only allowed premium tank purchases for gold instead of real money, so at worst they'd have to offer refunds in gold instead of cash.)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 11, 2017

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Atomizer posted:

I thought they couldn't nerf any premium tanks?!? That's why the M41 90 is so OP, etc.

(Also, I think, if they were smart, maybe they could've gotten around that "no nerf or refunds offered" legal drama if they only allowed premium tank purchases for gold instead of real money, so at worst they'd have to offer refunds in gold instead of cash.)

They can murder the mechanics.
Which for arty only affected 2 premium tanks, where only one was actually good.
I would say they also murdered the IS-6, KV-5 and all other premiums with lovely pen with the introduction of the Defender, Patriot and so on, just by applying power creep.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cardiac posted:

How is that different from normal?

People use something besides the premium ap shells on that?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I dunno, I think having no splash is probably a decent tradeoff for nearly 3x the fire rate, unnerfed HE pen, HEAT shells, 390m view range, significantly better accuracy and bloom stats, etc., but I havent played mine in a while.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yeah the Lefh can keep most low tier tanks permatracked its literally one of the most annoying tanks in the game.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
It's why it was so drat much fun to platoon in it, with that rof you just picked a target and went at it until it died. It literally couldn't do anything.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Atomizer posted:

We should really do the statbadding experiment to see just how poorly an account can look but there's no doubt that that's not a "real" account.

You'd want to do it in a platoon in tanks that have outsized impact on their team's chances, like doing a 3x pref 5 or pref 8 platoon and just dragging your team down with you. You'd have to do over a hundred games though and that'd take a long time to accomplish very little.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Cardiac posted:

They can murder the mechanics.
Which for arty only affected 2 premium tanks, where only one was actually good.
I would say they also murdered the IS-6, KV-5 and all other premiums with lovely pen with the introduction of the Defender, Patriot and so on, just by applying power creep.

I guess I don't understand what they can and can't get away with with regards to nerfing premium tanks. You'd think that if making the M41 90 a tier 9 (because that's essentially what MM it had pre-LT rebalance) was unacceptable, or giving it more appropriate stats for a new tier 8 LT was a similarly untenable alternative, then changing the fundamental mechanics of an SPG would constitute a similar nerf even if you were only adjusting the shells and nothing else on the vehicle itself. :shrug:

Hellsau posted:

You'd want to do it in a platoon in tanks that have outsized impact on their team's chances, like doing a 3x pref 5 or pref 8 platoon and just dragging your team down with you. You'd have to do over a hundred games though and that'd take a long time to accomplish very little.

Yeah I definitely think it'd be more "effective" to do it in a platoon, although at this point the idea is to justify that a WN8 of 1 is either due to botting or intentional sabotage.

I'd also be curious to see what the difference in stats would be if you didn't quite intentionally statbad (i.e. by blocking allies shots or bumping them, etc.) but rather moved around just enough, and sprayed fire just frequently enough without doing anything to help. Think just locking cruise control while pointing at the enemy team, maybe plinking a few shots at something you know you can't pen, all to play intentionally worthlessly but make it just obvious enough that it's an actual player and not a bot. :shrug:

Sair
May 11, 2007

McGavin posted:

Note: that was with the 105 mm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

This just made me laugh and thought I'd share. Two seconds between me and him messaging each other after a match we turned around and won.