Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Howling Griffons Intercessors #16-20 reporting for duty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

goose willis posted:

Well it's going to be a gradual process, they're not gonna squat them, but look at what happened in Age of Sigmar

Getting faction rules?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
I seriously just roll my eyes whenever Hams start clutching their pearls about Slaanesh getting squatted. They ain't going anywhere, their disappearance in AoS is one of the most obvious set ups for a campaign I've ever seen (Hey, the Elven gods vanished to, does that mean all Elves ever are getting squatted?) and everything we've heard points at Fulgrim and the EC coming back soon. I'd bet easy money they're getting a DG/TS style book and release in the next 2 years.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Reading through master of mankind now. At the part where an AdMech dude (which I’m assuming is an early Rust Stalker) is getting data from a servitors Head.

quote:

“the lobotomised woman’s very last thoughts had been of her human life, and the weeping children that had been pulled from her hands as she was hauled away, screaming, on her way to reprocessing. Alpha-Rho-25 discarded the data as irrelevant: a tediously emotional misfire of a dying, imperfect biological engine.”

This is why I love AdMech. Such monsters.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SteelMentor posted:

I seriously just roll my eyes whenever Hams start clutching their pearls about Slaanesh getting squatted.

Slaanesh... Pearl necklaces... Freud?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

dexefiend posted:

Stop doing that! Yellow is the devil and I already have the Imperial Fist sickness.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
What's your process for getting such neat lines with masking on your airbrush? I can't imagine how frustrating the complex shape of a humanoid is.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Has anyone here ordered from Chapter Customizer before? I put in for some decals but it seems like they're taking forever to ship it.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

dexefiend posted:

Holy hell.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

Nice grenade launcher.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Has anyone here ordered from Chapter Customizer before? I put in for some decals but it seems like they're taking forever to ship it.

I have, and yes they do. Friend who ordered with them had the same experience. Waited about 3 weeks

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

goose willis posted:

Do craftworld and dark versions of the Eldar associate or trade or communicate in any meaningful way or do they just avoid and/or kill each other on sight

Like can a dark Eldar decide to one day join a craftworld or are they just gonna die out of the webway

They can! Yvraine's whole thing is that she was a Craftworlder who got bored and wandered across to Commoragh to fight in a Wytch arena for a while and that's a pretty normal thing that happens with Eldar. Eldar, Craftworld and Commoragh, also ally all the time - in the codex it mentions Iyanden gets saved when a shitload of Dark Eldar zoom out of the webway to rescue the craftworld and when asked why they say "It's because we think it's hilarious to watch your dying society".

In fact, Eldar society actually encourages these changes. The whole thing with the Paths is that Eldar are super obsessive and if they do one thing for too long then they'll Exarch out and that's basically regarded as being a broken person. So they encourage Eldar to shift Paths every so often, and it's a pretty narrow step from the Path of the Outcast to being a Corsair and a pretty natural step from being a Corsair to refulling in Commoragh to hanging out there full time. And the same happens in reverse; Prince Yriel wandered off and became a Corsair and was presumably getting resupply at least in part from Dark Eldar shipyards but he rocks back up to his craftworld and now he's in charge of the whole fuckin thing.

I'm actually coming around to the thought that the Eldar have developed a really elaborate and ritualized relationship with the Chaos Gods. Aspect Warriors are Khorne cultists. Except instead of just going all blood blood blood they've managed to refine Khorne into Khaine and worked out a bunch of hyper specific ways to worship Khorne, and all the elaborate rules help safeguard you from losing your mind to it. An Aspect Exarch's mind is probably not that different from a Khorne Beserker's mind when you get down to it; psychopathically dedicated to raw destruction and fury.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Booyah- posted:

Noise marines with as much personality and attention to detail as the new death guard stuff would be amazing.

Same but Khorne Berzerkers

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
2018 is down to be the year of excess for GW, when I think a lot of people were expecting it to be the year of blood. There will still be some Nurgle releases in the first couple of months of the year for AoS/Codex demons. The big AOS campaign will be Death with some chaos releases but Fulgrim boob snake may actually come before Angron.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

goose willis posted:

Do craftworld and dark versions of the Eldar associate or trade or communicate in any meaningful way or do they just avoid and/or kill each other on sight

Like can a dark Eldar decide to one day join a craftworld or are they just gonna die out of the webway

Last page but in Gav Thorpe's Path of the Warrior one of the striking scorpions was a Dark Eldar who joined the craftworld so it does happen.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

2018 is down to be the year of excess for GW, when I think a lot of people were expecting it to be the year of blood. There will still be some Nurgle releases in the first couple of months of the year for AoS/Codex demons. The big AOS campaign will be Death with some chaos releases but Fulgrim boob snake may actually come before Angron.

Where are you getting this info from mate? Oh, and are you still up for a game in Birmingham some time?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
GW staff. The Aos stuff is from the manager of the studio. The Year of Excess is from the retail side though, who aren't as in the loop.

I was expecting it to be the year of blood from what had been flying around as rumours, with the Ork book, a world eaters book and a campaign set on Armageddon, but that may actually be wrong and we will get Fulgrim boobsnake and an Emperors Children book instead as well as the relaunch of Slaneesh in AoS.

Definitely up for a game. Not this weekend though because of the snow.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Somebody linked the twitter account for the guy responsible for the new terrain sets, and he's got some good posts. A lot more thought seems to have gone into those kits than I realised.

https://twitter.com/RayDranfield/status/938860856351260672

https://twitter.com/RayDranfield/status/868443072262287360

Ghost of Babyhead fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 9, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Somebody linked the twitter account for the guy responsible for the new terrain sets, and he's got some good posts. A lot more thought seems to have gone into those kits than I realised.

https://twitter.com/RayDranfield/status/938860856351260672

https://twitter.com/RayDranfield/status/868443072262287360

It's crazy how well-designed those kits are. I picked up a new forge after seeing that dude's twitter page and have been working on some new magnetized terrain. This is the first of several new pieces:

the piece is magnetized at the back of the generator, both ends of the elbow joint pipe, both ends of the big tank, and the connecting end of the stack on the end. Plus I magnetized all my prometheum relay pipes--got sick of them sliding around on the table when bumped.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Crossposted from the painting thread, my Scythes of the Emprah chunk boys.

Now I just have to wait for the easy-build Redemptor.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Giant Ethicist posted:

Crossposted from the painting thread, my Scythes of the Emprah chunk boys.

Now I just have to wait for the easy-build Redemptor.

Fantastic yellow you've got there.

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's crazy how well-designed those kits are. I picked up a new forge after seeing that dude's twitter page and have been working on some new magnetized terrain. This is the first of several new pieces:

the piece is magnetized at the back of the generator, both ends of the elbow joint pipe, both ends of the big tank, and the connecting end of the stack on the end. Plus I magnetized all my prometheum relay pipes--got sick of them sliding around on the table when bumped.

I'm not going to be doing as much with magnets because I'm lazy, but I'm going to be building pretty much the same thing. That twitter feed got me to buy an entire extra promethium refinery kit, and when I go pick up my codex today I'll be hopefully getting one of the kits that has some straight sections of flooring. I'd happily fill pretty much an entire table with sector mechanicus terrain. Built right it can block LOS well, gives multiple elevations to play with, and if you put it on bases can be a good source of area cover.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

GW staff. The Aos stuff is from the manager of the studio. The Year of Excess is from the retail side though, who aren't as in the loop.

I was expecting it to be the year of blood from what had been flying around as rumours, with the Ork book, a world eaters book and a campaign set on Armageddon, but that may actually be wrong and we will get Fulgrim boobsnake and an Emperors Children book instead as well as the relaunch of Slaneesh in AoS.

Definitely up for a game. Not this weekend though because of the snow.

Interesting stuff! For 40k, I have to say I'd be more interested in new Berzerkers and/or Angron, but either could be good.

Cool, hopefully we can set something up 16-20th Dec.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I painted up an old metal Eldrad for a friend that sold off his Eldar army after losing all his vehicles and wraithlords. He wanted to keep just Eldrad as a keepsake, since it was his first 40k army.

Painting Eldar is weird, I feel like i'm cheating on a spouse.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
poo poo dude, that's a gorgeous space elf!

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Nice looking xenos scum, friend

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh man I love the space cloak :allears:

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Deathwatch were designed as an elaborate plan to make me spend more money on paints for the sake of shoulder pads.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys! It was fun to paint. Tedious, and now I know I never want to buy an Eldar Army, but fun.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Seriously that cloak is amazing. Everything else is great too but its something I've never seen.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Can CSMs (or, ideally, Berserkers) take normal marine pauldrons?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Schadenboner posted:

Can CSMs (or, ideally, Berserkers) take normal marine pauldrons?

Yes.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Watching The Two Towers and batch painting.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Banana/strawberry lollipops

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
After a visit to the storage unit, I dug out a bunch of SM and CSM bitz and stuff, and started putting together my first space mans in god knows how many years. These are from older GW kits (mid-late 2000s or thereabouts), but I'm guessing that they're still fine for play, apart from needing to base them on 32mm bases (and maybe getting a new unit and some new weapons bits here and there).

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sydney Bottocks posted:

After a visit to the storage unit, I dug out a bunch of SM and CSM bitz and stuff, and started putting together my first space mans in god knows how many years. These are from older GW kits (mid-late 2000s or thereabouts), but I'm guessing that they're still fine for play, apart from needing to base them on 32mm bases (and maybe getting a new unit and some new weapons bits here and there).

You don't need to put them on new bases.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Got a game in with The Sex Cannon today. 1500 of my Berzerkers vs his Armored Steel Legion, complete with multiple psykers and a healthy amount of firepower behind a screening line of guards. It... went poorly for me. The mission was one of the Chapter Approved missions with cumulative points for securing objectives, killing units, and a few other details. Unfortunately I rolled the worst possible deployment, didn't get first turn, and things went downhill from there. Fortunately Dan's a fun guy to play with because holy crap did my guys get murdered. It was a challenge to think about how to best use everything when you're used to taking Orks, moving them as far forward as you can, and wrapping everything up in assault.

One thing we talked about was how blatant an advantage first turn is. I suggested that players be given the option to bid command points to further modify the "who gets first turn roll", and we agreed it might be a good idea.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You don't need to put them on new bases.

So was the move from 25mm bases to 32mm bases for SM/CSM by GW done purely for aesthetic reasons? It's been a while since I first heard about it, that I honestly forget if there was a gameplay reason given for it or not.

I'll probably make the move to 32mm bases for SM/CSM regardless, as I do like how they look on the bigger bases.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Got a game in with The Sex Cannon today. 1500 of my Berzerkers vs his Armored Steel Legion, complete with multiple psykers and a healthy amount of firepower behind a screening line of guards. It... went poorly for me. The mission was one of the Chapter Approved missions with cumulative points for securing objectives, killing units, and a few other details. Unfortunately I rolled the worst possible deployment, didn't get first turn, and things went downhill from there. Fortunately Dan's a fun guy to play with because holy crap did my guys get murdered. It was a challenge to think about how to best use everything when you're used to taking Orks, moving them as far forward as you can, and wrapping everything up in assault.

One thing we talked about was how blatant an advantage first turn is. I suggested that players be given the option to bid command points to further modify the "who gets first turn roll", and we agreed it might be a good idea.

New thread rule: every time someone talks about first turn advantage, they're required to post a photo of the board they were playing on.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So was the move from 25mm bases to 32mm bases for SM/CSM by GW done purely for aesthetic reasons? It's been a while since I first heard about it, that I honestly forget if there was a gameplay reason given for it or not.

I'll probably make the move to 32mm bases for SM/CSM regardless, as I do like how they look on the bigger bases.

It does make a game difference (primarily - you can assault 4 ranks deep with guys on 25mm bases when they're in perfect alignment, you can't on guys on 32mm) but a very minor one that mostly doesn't matter. It was an arbitrary change which I suspect they hoped would make people rebase.

It does look better and I'm tempted to rebase my BA to be on 32mm, but gently caress am I doing that for my 200+ Crimson Fists dudes.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

New thread rule: every time someone talks about first turn advantage, they're required to post a photo of the board they were playing on.

ur right i dont see how getting to move shoot and assault with all ur dudes before the other guy gets to do anything gives any advantage at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The explanation I was given was that it was a request from the sculptors so that they could do more with the models and because 32mm really does look better. Personally I suspect the request may have been made after the plans for Primaris has been laid, and 32mm bases were already something that was going to be produced.