Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What are their plans with the new Oculus Home that's on the beta now? I just heard about it today, enabled it and spent like 2 hours just messing around building my own space. If they make it so you can gain items to furnish with while in games that's gonna be p rad.

Kinda like the Steam cards, only instead of buying games with them you can chuck them around in virtual space into your virtual fireplace or onto the virtual city streets below scaring the poo poo out of your irl cats while you do it. I'm sorry kitty, please stop staring at the wall :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Tom Guycot posted:

-Price difference of ~$200 isn't nothing

It's not really a ~$200 price difference however. I belive with PSVR you just gets you the headset and the breakout box. Then you have to buy the PlayStation Camera, should buy 2 Motion controllers. With that all added up it's only more like a $50 difference and the same games on PSVR seem to be significantly more expensive when you factor in the crazy Oculus/Steam sales.

There also is so much good free stuff on PC VR that you can't get with PSVR. I'd strongly suggest Rift over PSVR but that's just me.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Stick100 posted:

It's not really a ~$200 price difference however. I belive with PSVR you just gets you the headset and the breakout box. Then you have to buy the PlayStation Camera, should buy 2 Motion controllers. With that all added up it's only more like a $50 difference and the same games on PSVR seem to be significantly more expensive when you factor in the crazy Oculus/Steam sales.

There also is so much good free stuff on PC VR that you can't get with PSVR. I'd strongly suggest Rift over PSVR but that's just me.

Every PSVR game bundle includes the headset, breakout box, and camera, otherwise you wouldn't be able to play the bundled game. Not every bundle includes the motion controllers however.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Tide posted:

So whats the play report on Fallout 4 VR?
Bethesda released a tutorial video with plot spoilers in it, so it's off to a good start.

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Wait, the rift comes with Lone Echo now or are people confusing it with Echo Arena?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I accidentally spoiled myself for a bunch of Meatmas unlocks on the H3VR subreddit, and for those wondering if the unlocks are worth bothering with-- let me say that there are WW2 guns that you definitely want.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

PenisMonkey posted:

Wait, the rift comes with Lone Echo now or are people confusing it with Echo Arena?

Yeah I guess new customers get it free. Shame really. Id love a free game. :(

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
That’s a good deal because it’s a good game.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Dongattack posted:

What are their plans with the new Oculus Home that's on the beta now? I just heard about it today, enabled it and spent like 2 hours just messing around building my own space. If they make it so you can gain items to furnish with while in games that's gonna be p rad.

Kinda like the Steam cards, only instead of buying games with them you can chuck them around in virtual space into your virtual fireplace or onto the virtual city streets below scaring the poo poo out of your irl cats while you do it. I'm sorry kitty, please stop staring at the wall :negative:

From the bits I've seen from various things they've said, the roadmap for it is to bring in multiplayer so in addition to being persistent you'll be able to run into other people.
To allow you to import medium sculpts, and 3d models created elsewhere as well, but medium sculpts are something coming sooner and easier to implement all in one.
Achievements and items granted from games that you can use in the home (beyond the legacy achievement plaques you can hang up now).
Public spaces to visit beyond just your personal homes, including a store you can explore instead of just being a menu.
Lootboxes are already there, earned... I think by time or things accomplished in games, not sure, though they confirmed they have no desire to ever sell lootboxes or items and its all just meant as random prizes.

all_purpose_cat_boy
Apr 10, 2007

I use a rift with glasses and it’s fine.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

My protube arrived today and I cannot for the life of me figure out the bipod attachment. The only video I can find is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H48iO6e8oDU&t=36s and from that it looks like converting it from parallel to perpendicular should be a simple flick from one position to another (doable in-game), but even putting a fairly serious amount of force on it isn't causing it to budge. On the flip side, it looks like it wiggles upward slightly. Is it possible it was assembled backwards or am I missing something obvious?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Check out X Rebirth VR while its free. I just spent a bit of time in it and it is pretty cool. The graphics/polish is no where near Elite, but it is more fun and faster paced while still being a sim. It also has a solid Touch interface so no fancy joystick setup needed. It also feels a bit more like you are flying a large space ship as opposed to a nimble space fighter thing which is another plus to me.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
For the holidays you'll be able to grab a PS4 Slim for $200 (or less?) and the GT Sport + VR headset kit for $200 since they're getting rid of mk1 model PSVR headset (only cabling & operation (volume mute etc differences), just need Move controllers on top of that and you're set.
Now, back to my daily four hours of Skyrim VR :getin:

e: add whatever it costs to get the camera up to like 1ft above your head for standing gameplay though, that stuff helps. Drill into a wall, mount something on a wall, tripod, light-fitting stand, mic-stand, tripod on a keyboard-stand, without that stuff it'll be hard to get the right angle for switching between sitting and standing Move controller gameplay that never loses tracking or has occlusion problems.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 10, 2017

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

ShadowHawk posted:

My protube arrived today and I cannot for the life of me figure out the bipod attachment. The only video I can find is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H48iO6e8oDU&t=36s and from that it looks like converting it from parallel to perpendicular should be a simple flick from one position to another (doable in-game), but even putting a fairly serious amount of force on it isn't causing it to budge. On the flip side, it looks like it wiggles upward slightly. Is it possible it was assembled backwards or am I missing something obvious?

Get on the goon VR discord and I can probably help you out. https://discord.gg/pAknQB
Got any pics of your setup?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Rastor posted:

Every PSVR game bundle includes the headset, breakout box, and camera, otherwise you wouldn't be able to play the bundled game. Not every bundle includes the motion controllers however.

The Bundles do, but the original headset did not. It looks like they are dropping the bundles down to $200 which is really a great price. I kind of hope we stay at this level of tech for another year and drop PSVR down to $99 and Rift down to $199 before we get another set of headsets. I wonder if anyone will be able to go back to $799 again.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

ShadowHawk posted:

Bethesda released a tutorial video with plot spoilers in it, so it's off to a good start.

Oh yeah wouldn't want to spoil the well-written, unpredictable plot of Fallout 4

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

rage-saq posted:

Get on the goon VR discord and I can probably help you out. https://discord.gg/pAknQB
Got any pics of your setup?
I figured it out, the screws up top are actually little levers that unlock the rotation.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Stick100 posted:

The Bundles do, but the original headset did not. It looks like they are dropping the bundles down to $200 which is really a great price. I kind of hope we stay at this level of tech for another year and drop PSVR down to $99 and Rift down to $199 before we get another set of headsets. I wonder if anyone will be able to go back to $799 again.

The original standalone headset box was for people who already had the camera and motion controller accessories and just wanted to add the VR headset. They've always sold bundles with everything you need to play, for example I bought the Playstation VR Worlds bundle, and there was also a Rush of Blood bundle.

There's a lot of smartphone technology in these headsets and I predict they're going to go down the same path: there will be the big budget battle of the flagships, and then there will be affordable midrange sets that review poorly but sell in huge numbers.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 10, 2017

KOMI
Sep 21, 2005
I've never pre-purchased a game in Steam before and Fallout 4 VR is my first. Do they let you preload at any time? I'd like to get it outta the way now

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Steam supports pre-loading, but whether or not a particular game will be available to pre-load is another matter.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I am trying to sort out a problem that I have with my Rift and am thinking it must be the tracking. I had previously only noticed it in Steam VR but now notice it in the new Oculus home - I couldn’t articulate what the problem was before but now I can.

I felt like there were slight movements in perspective that I was not controlling. I now can tell that they are very slight forward and then backward movements as if I bobbed my head slightly out and then back again and I can recreate it exactly because it only happens at certain points when I rotate my head around. It doesn’t happen at all if I face forward towards my two sensors or back toward my one sensor but on the sides, if I move very slowly I can see these camera movements happen at exactly the same points when turning. I had noticed it more when I got my 3rd sensor (now that I realize it in retrospect) - I have the recommended setup with two sensors up front and one in back, all a little under 6 feet up. I did the placement instruction that Oculus has you do when adding the 3rd sensor and it said that it was ok after many tries.

I have a glass sliding door about 6 feet to the right of my play area. Wondering if that could somehow be causing problems, I draped a sheet over the glass but the problem is still there.

Any ideas on how to fix something like this or what could be causing it? I started noticing it mainly because I was getting headaches after playing and was trying to figure out why and now I see that it is because of the camera/perspective shift that, although small, is happening every time I turn around.

Edit: Fixed it. While playing around with the sensor placement in vain I saw that the light was not on on the front right sensor. Going into devices showed that it was working so I didn’t think to check the light - going into a full sensor setup as if they were new also showed that it was plugged in and seemingly working but when I got to the placement part it only showed 2 sensors and not the one with the light off. I swapped ups ports around and it worked AND I saw some either new info or info I didn’t see before that the 3rd sensor should definitely not be plugged into a usb 3 port. I didn’t know that mattered so that is in a usb 2 port now. Went through the placement setup again and now everything is working even better than when it was working optimally to begin with. No time to play games after 2 hours of trying to figure it out but I look forward to playing tomorrow night now that the tracking is flawless.

rio fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 10, 2017

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

KOMI posted:

I've never pre-purchased a game in Steam before and Fallout 4 VR is my first. Do they let you preload at any time? I'd like to get it outta the way now

Doom VFR did let you preload it a day or two before release, so I'm guessing Fallout will be the same.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Why do I get the feeling my Pimax money just bought concessions sheds in a theme park thousands of miles away

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Why do I get the feeling my Pimax money just bought concessions sheds in a theme park thousands of miles away

That's what happened with the Virtualizer treadmill, the guy took all the Kickstarter money and used it for mall attractions and stuff.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Dongattack posted:

There are lots of plans, plus they're taking community suggestions on UserVoice at the moment. More info.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Finally dipped my toes in the VR well and picked up the PSVR GT set for $179 (had a 10% off coupon). I'm debating whether or not to pick up the Amazon $25 PS3 move controllers or to wait and see if the Dualshock is decent enough.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Silly Burrito posted:

Finally dipped my toes in the VR well and picked up the PSVR GT set for $179 (had a 10% off coupon). I'm debating whether or not to pick up the Amazon $25 PS3 move controllers or to wait and see if the Dualshock is decent enough.

Buy the move controllers. Seems dumb to 1/2 Vr

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah you will want to have the move controllers. And then you will want to have the Aim controller.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Has anyone ITT done Fallout: New Vegas through VorpX? I fear the answer is that it sucks but I have to ask 'cause I just love that game so much.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I've noticed that the Oculus app is reporting that one of my sensors is plugged in with USB 2 even though it's definitely plugged into a 3 port, also if I use any kind of extension cable on it it reports a bad signal. I assume that means I've got I've got an inadequate USB controller on my motherboard?

I should probably get another USB controller card if I want do roomscale, right? Since I can't put an extender on one of my sensors I'm stuck with front-facing and I'm willing to bet that a third sensor is too much for my computer without another card.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Seashell Salesman posted:

Has anyone ITT done Fallout: New Vegas through VorpX? I fear the answer is that it sucks but I have to ask 'cause I just love that game so much.
It actually worked pretty well when I tried it - I played maybe an hour on an existing save and had a good time but didn't get too into it since FO4VR comes out tomorrow.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Veotax posted:

I've noticed that the Oculus app is reporting that one of my sensors is plugged in with USB 2 even though it's definitely plugged into a 3 port, also if I use any kind of extension cable on it it reports a bad signal. I assume that means I've got I've got an inadequate USB controller on my motherboard?

I should probably get another USB controller card if I want do roomscale, right? Since I can't put an extender on one of my sensors I'm stuck with front-facing and I'm willing to bet that a third sensor is too much for my computer without another card.

Make sure its a USB 3.0 cable that is supported.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/wiki/extension_cables

If you're running 3 sensors + a headset off motherboard. Welp. You're most likely overloading your usb unless you have a fancy pants board.

Are you using the newest dash update (Beta or w/e)? Mine thinks my drivers are out of date and there isnt new ones. So maybe its a fluke?

Also the USB cable that comes with the third sensor, is 2.0. Be aware of that.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Less Fat Luke posted:

It actually worked pretty well when I tried it - I played maybe an hour on an existing save and had a good time but didn't get too into it since FO4VR comes out tomorrow.

Does moving your controllers do anything? It just occurred to me that it would be pretty weird if you had the fixed reticule and first person weapon model both head tracking and moving your controllers around did nothing.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Ok, so, managed to get a screenshot of the weird thing my Oculus keeps doing while I was having my wife try it out.

This is supposed to be the white tutorial room where they show you how the controllers work. It's back there, but behind blocks and sparkles.

It continued through the whole tutorial (except as the screen was fading to black), was gone in Home 2.0, then we tried VR Funhouse, and the initial event had them, it was gone for the rest of the game, then when it looped back to the swords & balloons one it came back.

I haven't seen this on anything else outside Oculus apps. It's a new PC so I haven't done too much gaming on it yet, but the benchmarks and few games I have run have all looked fine.

Any ideas? Weirdly, I rebooted and it was fine, I left for a few minutes to eat dinner, then when I started it up again it was doing it. Home 2.0 does it sometimes if I set the detail to high but hasn't ever done it on low.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Silly Burrito posted:

Absolutely get the move controllers. In most games that support them they make for a totally new experience over playing it with the DS4 and there are plenty of games that are only worth playing at all with motion control.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Seashell Salesman posted:

Does moving your controllers do anything? It just occurred to me that it would be pretty weird if you had the fixed reticule and first person weapon model both head tracking and moving your controllers around did nothing.
Yeah you still walk around and rotate with the controller.

Edit: Unless you mean the Vive controllers, AFAIK you still need either M/KB or a controller.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Less Fat Luke posted:

Yeah you still walk around and rotate with the controller.

Edit: Unless you mean the Vive controllers, AFAIK you still need either M/KB or a controller.

Oh yeah I meant motion-tracked vr controllers not traditional ones.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Veotax posted:

Make sure you're using a decent active USB extension cable. Passive cables don't really work well for anything but really short distances. The 3rd sensor comes with a 2.0 16' extension cable, but even oculus recommends the 3rd sensor only be plugged into 2.0. You could try moving some things around in the ports, but its likely its running out of USB resources for 3.0, that being said the sensors can be run in 2.0 mode, and its debatable if it even makes a noticeable effect for anything but a super large play space.

TVs Ian posted:

Ok, so, managed to get a screenshot of the weird thing my Oculus keeps doing while I was having my wife try it out.

This is supposed to be the white tutorial room where they show you how the controllers work. It's back there, but behind blocks and sparkles.

It continued through the whole tutorial (except as the screen was fading to black), was gone in Home 2.0, then we tried VR Funhouse, and the initial event had them, it was gone for the rest of the game, then when it looped back to the swords & balloons one it came back.

I haven't seen this on anything else outside Oculus apps. It's a new PC so I haven't done too much gaming on it yet, but the benchmarks and few games I have run have all looked fine.

Any ideas? Weirdly, I rebooted and it was fine, I left for a few minutes to eat dinner, then when I started it up again it was doing it. Home 2.0 does it sometimes if I set the detail to high but hasn't ever done it on low.

What kind of video card do you have in your machine? Are the drivers up to date? If thats showing up on the desktop mirror I can't imagine it being any problem with the the rift at all, it looks like theres something screwy with your video card or drivers. If you have the latest up to date drivers, I'd maybe try putting everything back to default settings and reinstalling the video card.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
GORN

https://twitter.com/Sparky916/status/939368411334819840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Tom Guycot posted:

What kind of video card do you have in your machine? Are the drivers up to date? If thats showing up on the desktop mirror I can't imagine it being any problem with the the rift at all, it looks like theres something screwy with your video card or drivers. If you have the latest up to date drivers, I'd maybe try putting everything back to default settings and reinstalling the video card.

It’s an Asus 1080TI, definitely on the latest Nvidia drivers. Maybe I should see if there are any updates for the Asus software too.