Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How bad is Bluetooth in a home environment? I would really like to have headphones that don’t involve me constantly rolling over the cable, but I hate the idea of making my network less secure.

Actually, my wife already uses a Bluetooth speaker, so the horse is already out of the barn isn’t it?

Generally consumer devices are class 1 and don't do too well beyond... 10 meters I think? Maybe a little less? Having some headphones on while laying in bed/on the couch are hardly going to draw too much worry. If you're using your phone and worried about it, you can always just turn Bluetooth off when not using the headphones.

e: added quote for new page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

does :smugbert: include knowing that ios and osx are different?

it's a general "apple bad" thing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How bad is Bluetooth in a home environment? I would really like to have headphones that don’t involve me constantly rolling over the cable, but I hate the idea of making my network less secure.

Actually, my wife already uses a Bluetooth speaker, so the horse is already out of the barn isn’t it?
Do you use wifi in your home environment?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Generally consumer devices are class 1 and don't do too well beyond... 10 meters I think? Maybe a little less? Having some headphones on while laying in bed/on the couch are hardly going to draw too much worry. If you're using your phone and worried about it, you can always just turn Bluetooth off when not using the headphones.

e: added quote for new page

It's not going to suddenly make your WiFi insecure.

The real concern is allowing incoming pairing requests to your computer and allowing file transfers. So don't let your computer auto-respond to connection requests. I always manually kick it off on both sides.

In the real world, communications with your headphones and speakers are fine.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 7, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Generally consumer devices are class 1 and don't do too well beyond... 10 meters I think? Maybe a little less?

https://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc_press/archives/12/esato_bluetoothcracking.htm

definitely set all your bluetooth stuff to only pair manually

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Klyith posted:

https://www.defcon.org/html/links/dc_press/archives/12/esato_bluetoothcracking.htm

definitely set all your bluetooth stuff to only pair manually

hahaha right. I forgot this was a thing :>

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

anthonypants posted:

Do you use wifi in your home environment?

Yes, is that just as bad? I feel like at this point you have to because even if you have your computers and TV wired, you basically can’t use your phone except on WiFi or LTE. Also I rent so I can’t just knock holes in the wall to run Cat-6 around the place.

I’ll make sure we’re set up to pair manually. I know my desktop is, not sure about my wife’s. When I was setting up Windows 10 my face was basically :wtc: the whole time as I turned off all of the recommended network settings.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Everything is terrible, throw your computer into a dumpster and jump in after it.

Your WiFi is probably fine if it's WPA2 and WPS isn't physically an option on the hardware.

For headphones, I've got some analog wireless headphones that have a far more impressive range, about 100-200 feet before the interference gets bad. They might be a better fit than Bluetooth if you're not staying within 10 feet of your computer.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This topic is reminding me of something I read about the Bluetooth 4.0 LE variant specifically having some kind of major security issue, can't remember right now and I'm off the clock so don't feel like googling :shrug:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volmarias posted:

Everything is terrible, throw your computer into a dumpster and jump in after it.

Your WiFi is probably fine if it's WPA2 and WPS isn't physically an option on the hardware.

For headphones, I've got some analog wireless headphones that have a far more impressive range, about 100-200 feet before the interference gets bad. They might be a better fit than Bluetooth if you're not staying within 10 feet of your computer.

what's wrong with wps?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RFC2324 posted:

what's wrong with wps?

You can't type "woops!" without typing "wps"!

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Volmarias posted:

https://youtu.be/RD6hPYnR5GM

RFC2324 posted:

what's wrong with wps?

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/12/30/most-wi-fi-routers-susceptible-to-hacking-through-security-feature/

WPS PINs are easily brute forced.

The Fool fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 8, 2017

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

welp. i figured it was just that people are dumb and hit the button for no reason

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Bluetooth has nothing to do with your home Wifi if that is what you are getting at...

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The worst thing is that there's some hardware where even if you turn off WPS in the settings, it's still exploitable.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Oh. So I guess with these things (Amazon lightning deal so I jumped on them) I can’t go to the bathroom with an “accidentally” hot mic on discord?

If I do walk away do they usually pair up again once they’re back in range, or does manual mean you have to do it every single time? Never used Bluetooth aside from hooking up a work phone to my work van.

I need to see if I can turn WPS off on my router.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh. So I guess with these things (Amazon lightning deal so I jumped on them) I can’t go to the bathroom with an “accidentally” hot mic on discord?

If I do walk away do they usually pair up again once they’re back in range, or does manual mean you have to do it every single time? Never used Bluetooth aside from hooking up a work phone to my work van.

I need to see if I can turn WPS off on my router.

The pairing dance is only for the initial connection. The computer keeps a profile for that device based on the BT MAC, so it know to accept a pairing request in future.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Happy Friday.

https://thehackernews.com/2017/12/windows-update-malware-protection.html

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Proteus Jones posted:

The pairing dance is only for the initial connection. The computer keeps a profile for that device based on the BT MAC, so it know to accept a pairing request in future.

Unless you deauth by pretending to be one of them and requesting to do the handshake again.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EVIL Gibson posted:

Unless you deauth by pretending to be one of them and requesting to do the handshake again.

Lets not scare the boy off, now.

But yes, that can happen. I would not put it high on my "this will happen" risk chart.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Black Hat Europe wasn't so great this year, but the talk about the WPA2 vuln from the very own researcher who found it was good and a nice high-level summary. I also liked the last part where he corrected all the wrong stuff he read about his research on Internet.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I’m getting deja vu

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

After reading the actual release from Microsoft and not a terribly worded (researched?) article, it does not look like there are any actual patches to apply as updating is done by the service itself.

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/CVE-2017-11940

quote:

Note: Typically, no action is required of enterprise administrators or end users to install updates for the Microsoft Malware Protection Engine, because the built-in mechanism for the automatic detection and deployment of updates will apply the update within 48 hours of release. The exact time frame depends on the software used, Internet connection, and infrastructure configuration.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Servers that don't get outbound HTTPS access won't get it automatically and most orgs don't mirror defender updates on WSUS/SCCM so your backend may be vulnerable

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

what's wrong with wps?

Nigh upon trivial to hack. I disable it by default whenever I have a chance.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Servers that don't get outbound HTTPS access won't get it automatically and most orgs don't mirror defender updates on WSUS/SCCM so your backend may be vulnerable

We allow outbound HTTPS on our servers and we also mirror defender updates on WSUS, so I guess we're good there. Thanks for clarifying though, I didn't catch that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

AGAIN?! :psyduck:

Edit:

So I wasn't just imagining this.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So now we play the waiting game?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 9, 2017

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

"Attacker can gently caress with your BIOS" seems like a big enough prerequisite that any exploit following up on that is just icing on the cake. :shrug:

Is Rutkowska so focused on Management Engine stuff because it has potential to undo the entire foundation of her Qubes system? I could see how that would piss someone off. Build an entire OS around the concept of compartmentalized distrust, then Intel comes along and fucks the whole thing by making something that breaks VM isolation, can't be turned off, and can't be trusted.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It leaves a pretty sour taste even in my mouth - and I didn't make a business around it. I imagine she's feeling downright acerbic.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Klyith posted:

"Attacker can gently caress with your BIOS" seems like a big enough prerequisite that any exploit following up on that is just icing on the cake. :shrug:

Isn’t TPM supposed to be resilient against altered BIOS?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think that's more the role of UEFI than the TPM

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Isn’t TPM supposed to be resilient against altered BIOS?
Only useful scenario for TPM that I know is for the key, that's burned into the hardware as part of manefacturing, to be used as part of the hash for FDE - which assumes that you don't suspend to disk, have your computer set to restart on panic(), and enable any other disks as bootable.
Intel also uses it as part of LaGrange which hooks into Vanderpool or SGX but I'm not sure that that isn't as full of holes as Intel ME turned out to be as there's already been found one flaw.

EDIT: It wasn't Vanderpool itself that was flawed, but sandsifter did manage to find at least one enterprise hyperrvisor that handled an OPcode wrong, so who knows how many others there are and how easy it is to execute instructions outside the hypervisor.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 9, 2017

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

D. Ebdrup posted:

Only useful scenario for TPM that I know is for the key, that's burned into the hardware as part of manefacturing, to be used as part of the hash for FDE - which assumes that you don't suspend to disk, have your computer set to restart on panic(), and enable any other disks as bootable.
Intel also uses it as part of LaGrange which hooks into Vanderpool or SGX but I'm not sure that that isn't as full of holes as Intel ME turned out to be as there's already been found one flaw.

EDIT: It wasn't Vanderpool itself that was flawed, but sandsifter did manage to find at least one enterprise hyperrvisor that handled an OPcode wrong, so who knows how many others there are and how easy it is to execute instructions outside the hypervisor.

Attestation

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
TPM can be helpful against malicious firmware (including uefi, and, I *think* but am not sure of, Intel ME) EXCLUSIVELY IF it's actually a separate physical hardware TPM.

Most motherboards offer TPM that's just some code running in the ME. I believe this is called PTT. Obviously, if ME is compromised, this is worthless.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

D. Ebdrup posted:

that first article on drives posted:

Müller et al. [4] provide a security evaluation of the hardware-based FDE and compare it to software-
based FDE. In particular, they introduce a novel attack technique called “Hot Plug Attack” which involves
switching the SATA data cable from the original machine and connecting it to an attacker-controlled
machine. Because the SATA power is maintained while the data cable is switched, the drive remains in an
unlocked state and the data can be read directly from the attacker-controlled machine.

Works on Samsung 850s and PM851s

I loving love my line of work.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Potato Salad posted:

Works on Samsung 850s and PM851s

I loving love my line of work.

That same trick was a thing when softmodding original Xboxes too. They used ATA password protection to prevent people from being able to just plug the hard drive in to a PC, but people discovered that if you hotswapped the IDE cable at just the right time you could get your PC to recognize it after the drive had been unlocked. You could then install your exploit of choice without even requiring one of the vulnerable games. This was also your only hope to unfuck it without a chip if you managed to screw up a softmod without backing up the EEPROM (which stored the ATA password) first.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

And in "I am genuinely completely baffled", my Lenovo Yoga 700-11isk, the Skylake (Intel Core m5-6Y54) tablet convertible that tests vulnerable to the Intel Management Engine issues with Intel's detection tools but wasn't on Lenovo's list of vulnerable laptops:
A) I called them up, spent way too long on the phone convincing them that "yes, this is something you have to fix not Intel, yes, it tests vulnerable, yes, your latest BIOS update from 10/30/2016 doesn't fix it", and was told they'd have to ask Intel about it.
B) A week and change later, it shows up finally on the list of vulnerable laptops with a fix to be released "TBD."
C) ...a day later, the laptop vanishes from the list again.
Genuinely, what?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

gourdcaptain posted:

And in "I am genuinely completely baffled", my Lenovo Yoga 700-11isk, the Skylake (Intel Core m5-6Y54) tablet convertible that tests vulnerable to the Intel Management Engine issues with Intel's detection tools but wasn't on Lenovo's list of vulnerable laptops:
A) I called them up, spent way too long on the phone convincing them that "yes, this is something you have to fix not Intel, yes, it tests vulnerable, yes, your latest BIOS update from 10/30/2016 doesn't fix it", and was told they'd have to ask Intel about it.
B) A week and change later, it shows up finally on the list of vulnerable laptops with a fix to be released "TBD."
Genuinely, what?

I'm surprised it even went that far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gourdcaptain posted:

Genuinely, what?

E: Actually nvm