Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes the movie looks bad and I don't want to see it is quite hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nah you're just one of those perennial Alita haters always fixating on good CGI and non horrifying production designs.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sethsez posted:

Why else make her all-CG, all the time? And I somehow doubt that the effects team working on this is competent enough to produce a main CG character of this quality while also being incompetent enough to get the size of human eyes wrong.

The CGI looks really bad though?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Trailer CGI often doesn't reflect the final film, things get refined all the time, look at any of the thousands of youtube videos by The Angry Comic Atheist Ranter or whoever that talks about them. But big changes like altering that lady's eyes for the whole film is probably a step beyond. I am guessing she was filming with all the green screen stuff all over her face so they can't just not use the effects, they would have to go an alter every scene the main character of this film is in. That's probably enough to make the film unprofitable by itself.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean I've got pretty awful taste and tolerance for cliches and cartoon silly poo poo, I post earnestly about Disney cartoons for gently caress's sake, and if I'm immediately turned off by it that probably means dire, dire things for the rest of the potential audience.

It might save the movie if the trailer disappears quietly and gets a total effects rework, though that'd probably cost a shitload of money at this point.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Movie will bomb for sure commercially but I think it looks pretty drat interesting. And the creepiness of Alita is directly addressed in the trailer so it's obviously intended, which is at least a bit better than the alternative.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I need more than an awkward teaser and a director who has been iffy for a while to know if it's gonna be bad or not. I was extremely iffy on Ghost In The Shell but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit, and now wish I had seen it in theaters.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Bioshock Infinite movie looking pretty good.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DC Murderverse posted:

I'd like to take a moment to recognize that the movie's cast is very heavily hispanic (I assume Rodriguez pushed for this) which is a fairly big deal for a blockbuster of this magnitude. Rosa Salazar as the lead is cool, but also Eiza Gonzalez, Marko Zaror, Jorge Lendeborg Jr, and the motherfucking queen of action Michelle Rodriguez.

Also no one knows or cares what Battle Angel Alita is. It being based off a cartoon they never saw or heard of(as opposed to one they have, or something original) is another turn off.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alhazred posted:

The CGI looks really bad though?

All the complaints I've heard seems to confuse "bad" with "it creeps me out". I don't agree with the former and think the latter is actively a good thing, so meh at all the hate.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
There’s nothing wrong with creepy. Splice did something like that quite well. But “unintentionally hilarious” and “immediately takes me out of the movie and makes me question the design choices that led us here” probably weren’t what they were going for.

It looks like someone’s DeviantArt Final Fantasy OC (do not steal) come to life.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah that design is not creepy at all to me, it just looks funny

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

Jon Peters is a treasure trove of classic Hollywood stories. like the flip side of Robert Evans. instead of being a hollywood wunderkind who was in the right place at the right time who ended up being responsible for many of the greatest auteur-era films of the 1970s before burning out, he was a hollywood wunderkind who was with the right woman at the right time who ended up being responsible for a bunch of absolute loving garbage and still works regularly. I imagine both did enough cocaine to kill a gorilla.

Sometimes there is no justice in LA.

He hasn't worked in six years. He got money off of Man of Steel but that's due to his ownership of the rights. He came out on the losing side of a sexual harassment lawsuit in 2011 and basically killed his career the moment the verdict came down.

All he can get now are residuals.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Also no one knows or cares what Battle Angel Alita is. It being based off a cartoon they never saw or heard of(as opposed to one they have, or something original) is another turn off.

you'd be reeeally surprised. it has a pretty big cult following in the US and with people you probably wouldn't expect to be into anime, it was actually one of the earlier things Viz brought over here back in the 90s.

it's not, like, Attack on Titan level popular, but it's probably on the same level as something like Guyver or Fist of the North Star.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The Cameo posted:

He hasn't worked in six years. He got money off of Man of Steel but that's due to his ownership of the rights. He came out on the losing side of a sexual harassment lawsuit in 2011 and basically killed his career the moment the verdict came down.

All he can get now are residuals.

He’s producing A Star is Born with Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, which comes out next year.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Patrick Stewart said he would come back to play Jean Luc Picard if Tarantino's Star Trek movie allows it. He loves his films and wants to work with him.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/star-trek/news/a845033/patrick-stewart-wants-to-star-in-quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie/

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Maybe you're just a bad design

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
A preview of Tarantino Trek:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

you'd be reeeally surprised. it has a pretty big cult following in the US and with people you probably wouldn't expect to be into anime, it was actually one of the earlier things Viz brought over here back in the 90s.

it's not, like, Attack on Titan level popular, but it's probably on the same level as something like Guyver or Fist of the North Star.

The manga was popular enough in french to get multiple printings. It's also why I'm bothered by the name change: the french translation kept all the original names, so it's more a matter of familiarity than anything else.

I wonder if the french dub will keep the american names or go back to the originals?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I remember telling my friend way back in the day (circa Jackie Brown era, if not earlier) how it would be cool if genre directors like Carpenter or Tarantino were allowed to direct Next Generation episodes.

Someone should give Carpenter a Star Wars movie to direct.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It would probably look like this scene in Rogue One, except for the whole film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LORtuZ0ISF4

and that'd be raaaaad

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

DC Murderverse posted:

He’s producing A Star is Born with Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga, which comes out next year.

Weird, i was just wondering the other day if that would get remade soon

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

But is he an active producer on the project, because this could be just as much a case of him holding film rights as the Superman stuff, given he and Streisand were the producers on the '76 version (and funny enough, if what people involved say is to be believed, that credit is a thing he talked Barbara into in the first place and he wasn't actually involved in the, y'know, production of the actual movie or even getting the remake rights).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Why is Andrew Dice Clay in it? Why is he in anything anymore?

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Casimir Radon posted:

Why is Andrew Dice Clay in it? Why is he in anything anymore?

Because your motha's a hoo-ah. OOOOOOOOOOOOH!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gatts posted:

Patrick Stewart said he would come back to play Jean Luc Picard if Tarantino's Star Trek movie allows it. He loves his films and wants to work with him.

http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/star-trek/news/a845033/patrick-stewart-wants-to-star-in-quentin-tarantino-star-trek-movie/

Stewart was the biggest horndog ever on the set of TNG, I'm not at all surprised he likes Tarantino.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Grendels Dad posted:

All the complaints I've heard seems to confuse "bad" with "it creeps me out".

She looks like a bad cgi cartoon.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I really hope that's not true. "Not an adaption of something you're already familiar with" is a selling point to me by now, but I'd hope at least it's not something most people would consider a strike against an upcoming movie. Like "what's this? I don't know this show. gently caress that."

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It was never on toonami, adult swim, cartoon Network, Fox kids, or kids WB, no one knows what the gently caress it is

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Fried Watermelon posted:

Watch them reduce the eyes due to the backlash, just like the Bane voice fiasco

Did they do something to Bane's voice between trailer and release? I feel like I must have missed something here because it seemed bizarre and interesting in both cases.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It was even more muffled and audience couldn't understand him when they showed the DKR intro scene at some theater event so they redubbed it

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It was even more muffled and audience couldn't understand him when they showed the DKR intro scene at some theater event so they redubbed it

Ah, I don't suppose that trailer exists out there somewhere. Curiosity is piqued.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ape Agitator posted:

Ah, I don't suppose that trailer exists out there somewhere. Curiosity is piqued.

It wasn't a trailer but a clip of the plane hijacking they released very early. Here's the original clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vBW6jvspF8

By the time actual teasers and trailers were out it was already changed.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neo Rasa posted:

It wasn't a trailer but a clip of the plane hijacking they released very early. Here's the original clip:

"At least you can talk!" lol

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Alhazred posted:

She looks like a bad cgi cartoon.

gently caress how she looks. Close your eyes, watch the trailer and tell me that dialogue isn't just absolute hot garbage.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah, they played this in front of Mission Impossible 4 if you went and saw it in IMAX. So you had every opportunity to hear it very loudly and it was loving incomprehensible. I'm glad they fixed it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It was never on toonami, adult swim, cartoon Network, Fox kids, or kids WB, no one knows what the gently caress it is

I don't think so Tim.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Al Borland Corp. posted:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I don't think so Tim.

It's pretty obscure compared to Ghost In The Shell and it's ridiculously obscure compared to something like Dragon Ball or Pokemon. It doesn't even register on the graph:

Edit: it's more obscure than Chobits :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 10, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The Cameo posted:

But is he an active producer on the project, because this could be just as much a case of him holding film rights as the Superman stuff, given he and Streisand were the producers on the '76 version (and funny enough, if what people involved say is to be believed, that credit is a thing he talked Barbara into in the first place and he wasn't actually involved in the, y'know, production of the actual movie or even getting the remake rights).

nah, he's an active part of the process. From this article:

quote:

The chance to remake A Star Is Born — a sexy, serious cautionary tale with a moderate budget, the type of movie the major studios rarely make — gradually drew him back into the business. It has been an on-again, off-again project for 10 years, as big names such as Clint Eastwood and Beyonce have come and gone. "There were a lot of complicated deals on Star Is Born, a lot of heavy-hitters," Gerber adds. "And Jon could not have been more helpful in getting it all in line." The script now is getting a preproduction polish from Oscar winner Eric Roth (Forrest Gump).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's pretty obscure compared to Ghost In The Shell and it's ridiculously obscure compared to something like Dragon Ball or Pokemon. It doesn't even register on the graph:

see, i'm not arguing that it's some massive million-seller or anything. the words i believe i used were "cult following," and I specifically compared it to Fist of the North Star and Guyver in popularity.

at a glance, my comparison was basically dead-on: internationally, FotNS destroys the other two in popularity, but in the US there's not that huge a gap and all three are basically near each other.

e: your methodology is flawed in that you're doing 2004-present, when last 5 years is a better indicator.

• Locked thread