Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

UmOk posted:

I agree. I did the same thing and it didn't flow as well as watching in release order.

I think A New Hope just works so well as an introduction that you miss out by starting with Phantom Menace.

That being said, after having just watched it again, it keeps going down on my preference list. It’s a very good movie, but it’s just not as interesting to think about afterwards as the other 5 Lucas films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Past few months I've been chipping away at Rian's VIII prep list:
Twelve O Clock High
Bridge on the River Kwai
Three Outlaw Samurai
Letter Never Sent
Gunga Din
Sahara
To Catch a Thief
Kill!

And his resume (Brick, Brothers Bloom, Looper). Watching the Force Awakens in a couple days.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ingmar terdman posted:

Twelve O Clock High
Bridge on the River Kwai
Three Outlaw Samurai
Letter Never Sent
Gunga Din
Sahara
To Catch a Thief
Kill!

And his resume (Brick, Brothers Bloom, Looper). Watching the Force Awakens in a couple days.

Just out of curiosity which of Johnson’s films did you like best? I think Brick will always be my favorite, but we’ll see how TLJ is...

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The Star Wars: Watch Order
Part I: Man Leaves Earth Sexology
Last Man Standing
Pumpkinhead
Sicario
Event Horizon
The 5th Element

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

lelandjs posted:

Just out of curiosity which of Johnson’s films did you like best? I think Brick will always be my favorite, but we’ll see how TLJ is...

I enjoyed them all and they are different enough to be difficult to rank, but Brick is probably the best. I loved how much he committed to forcing hardboiled dialogue into a 00s high school.

You didn't ask, but just for the sake of the thread, the best discovery I had from his film picks was Letter Never Sent. That is a movie worth watching, and I'm very curious to see how that maps into TLJ in terms of inspiration.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ingmar terdman posted:

Twelve O Clock High
Bridge on the River Kwai
Three Outlaw Samurai
Letter Never Sent
Gunga Din
Sahara
To Catch a Thief
Kill!

This was my exact prep list as well, and I've had a great time watching them all. I'm also most curious about how Letter Never Sent will tie in, but if I were to guess I would say that [something from the trailers] the fires behind Finn and Phasma when they fight look awfully similar.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Bongo Bill posted:

The correct order for watching Star War is in release order. I know this because I just finished watching them in chronological order. Release order flows best because that's the order that ideas are introduced into the narrative.

There's definitely merit to this, and it's unavoidable that there are issues arising from the fact that the originals were made first and thus had to conform to certain parameters, but at the same time most of us are probably biased by having watched the originals first. For instance, stuff like the Force not being explicitly explained in the prequels isn't necessarily a flaw. For a first-time viewer I don't think it would be hard to gradually grasp through osmosis what the Force is and how it works on a basic level, leading up to Qui-Gon providing an explanation of it from a biological perspective. Then the explanations in the OT simply come as an elaborated examination of the Force from a metaphysical standpoint, which the prequel trilogy intentionally avoids by virtue of its thematic focus. The discourses on the Force in the OT are then just a rhetorical shift away from the biological side of the Force and toward its mystical side. Provided, of course, that you're able to accept both sides as equally valid, I don't think it matters which comes first.

I don't think it's much different than watching the OT first and only gradually coming to understand the true nature of Darth Vader, only to have it finally explained in depth in the prequels. Watching in release order, you miss out on a lot of important aspects of Vader's character in A New Hope and most of Empire. If you watch it in release order you see Vader as an unfeeling monster who calmly dominates others simply to demonstrate his evil power, but if you watch it in episodic order you see Vader as a tragic figure whose human neuroses are manifesting themselves in various terrifyingly robotic ways. Of course for a lot of people the power of the plot twist outweighs all this, but I've just never placed such a huge premium on plot twists, at least not in comparison to all the other methods of telling a story. I like what Lucas said about episodic order providing for a sort of Hitchockian mode of suspense as you watch Vader, Luke, and Leia all interact with one another and anxiously await the dropping of each truth bomb. And just as you can't replicate the first-time experience of the father plot twist, you also can't replicate that first-time experience of suspenseful anxiety. It's all a matter of what you personally prefer.

There's no real right way to experience the story, but personally I think episodic order makes the story more complex and interesting.

Ingmar terdman posted:

I enjoyed them all and they are different enough to be difficult to rank, but Brick is probably the best. I loved how much he committed to forcing hardboiled dialogue into a 00s high school.

That's probably the part I liked least. When I heard about it I thought it sounded like a good idea on paper, but I found it detracted from my investment in the story because it prevented me from buying into the reality of the characters either as 1930's hard-boiled types or as modern day high schoolers. I couldn't help comparing it to a favorite of mine that's also a high school/noir fusion, Veronica Mars (the TV series, not the Kickstarter movie, that sucked), and finding Brick's execution wanting in comparison. Veronica Mars manages to create a world full of noir archetypes that actually seem to naturally fit into a modern day California high school environment--and if you can't accomplish that, what's the point of smooshing the two genres together in the first place? To intentionally create an ironic discord that draws attention to the artificial nature of reality? I guess that probably is the point of Brick, and it just wasn't my thing. Fair enough. But without the gimmick I'm not sure the movie really has anything all that special going for it, other than being a competent Maltese Falcon homage.

So anyway, I respect the experiment, but I just didn't find it as effective as it should have been. That's actually how I feel about Looper as well--interesting gimmick, but ultimately the rest doesn't gel together quite as well. (I still haven't seen The Brothers Bloom, I know, I should get on that.)

Would definitely rather have a passionate experimenter like Johnson on Star Wars than another type, though.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So the premier of this is tonight and everyone gets to break their NDAs and whatnot so here's the spoiler warning which I'll be adding to the OP. Same as the rules for the thread last time.

:siren: Do not post open (untagged) spoilers in this thread until a month after release. Not everyone is going to be able to see this right away. If you'd like to use untagged spoilers, please go to the spoiler thread. I'll be giving out harsher than average probations for purposefully untagged spoilers.

If someone posts untagged spoilers, DO NOT QUOTE THE SPOILERS. Just report the post.
:siren:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/nerdist/status/939540268746977280

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
A lot has been made of the fact that Star Wars is a pop pastiche that synthesizes and riffs on a lot of Lucas' interests, and that Attack of the Clones stands out as the film with probably the most thinly veiled homages (to controversial effect, as evidenced by this thread). In revisiting AOTC I noticed that not only were the references and homages much more on the nose and less sublimated than any other film or scene in the saga (save, perhaps, for the Sail Barge fight), but that a large majority of them evoked a distinctly 1950's American aesthetic. This is most obvious in the diner, as well as the flying taxis. But it doesn't seem to me that any of the other 5 films were so distinctly located in time like AOTC was. Has Lucas ever spoken about this or explained why he did that?

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

The Star Wars: Watch Order
Part I: Man Leaves Earth Sexology
Last Man Standing
Pumpkinhead
Sicario
Event Horizon
The 5th Element

UmOk posted:

My new watch order:

VI
VII
II
Guardians of the galaxy episode 1
I
II (trust me)
III
The Search for Spork
Guardians of the Galaxy episode 2
IV
Rouge Juan
V (Save the worst for last)

I still consider this the definitive The Star Wars: Watch Order

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I hope the porgs aren't just goofy animals and are goofy animal-people, like ewoks and jawas

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Final prediction for episode 8

Snoke is actually Luke Skywalker after getting into a fire accident. The Luke training Rey on Ach-to is actually a Luke clone.

One of the biggest twists of the saga

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Final prediction for episode 8

Snoke is actually Luke Skywalker after getting into a fire accident. The Luke training Rey on Ach-to is actually a Luke clone.

One of the biggest twists of the saga

Snoke is 7 feet tall, so clearly snoke is Bigger Luke

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Black Bones posted:

I hope the porgs aren't just goofy animals and are goofy animal-people, like ewoks and jawas

They're star wars minions

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
The premiere is tonight, so we should have some breathless hyperbole by tomorrow morning to get hyped about.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
The review embargo drops tonight, no?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

viral spiral posted:

The review embargo drops tonight, no?

There should be a cavalcade of reactions any minute now.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Gonz posted:

There should be a cavalcade of reactions any minute now.

I'm predicting a 90%+ RT score because everyone seems to have voracious nerd boners for Rian Johnson for some reason.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

viral spiral posted:

I'm predicting a 90%+ RT score because everyone seems to have voracious nerd boners for Rian Johnson for some reason.
My official rating: 3/10 Would Not Porg Again

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/Clayton_Sandell/status/939733548025618432

https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/939734635851931649

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
A film everyone agrees to be slightly better than ok will get a high RT score. The film's riding on such a wave of hype there's no way to tell how good it is yet.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it though.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Wow this article is dreadful.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They’ve been showing episode 2 o tv lately and I dunno if I just convinced myself it wasn’t so apparent but the movie looks really aged and like a FMV game now because of everything being green screen. Is this just a product of time or was it this bad back then too?

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Empress Brosephine posted:

They’ve been showing episode 2 o tv lately and I dunno if I just convinced myself it wasn’t so apparent but the movie looks really aged and like a FMV game now because of everything being green screen. Is this just a product of time or was it this bad back then too?

It was bad back then.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The opposite is true: AOTC, along with the Lord of the Rings films, inspired the look and feel of a thousand 'cinematic' cutscenes.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh no, does LOTR look bad too? :(

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

This is very insightful. You nay be the first person to compare movie effects with FMV in video games. I, personally, feel that AotC looks like the end credits from Super Mario Boners 3.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry, I just meant that haze around everyone, and the lighting, not so much the effects.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yes. Even though they were all filmed at the same time, for some reason FotR looks the best, even though you'd think it'd have the least time devoted to it

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

josh04 posted:

The opposite is true: AOTC, along with the Lord of the Rings films, inspired the look and feel of a thousand 'cinematic' cutscenes.

But it looks more like a live action FMV cutscene, which pre-dates AOTC.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

I would say no, at least compared to those Star Wars prequels. The in-camera orc costumes never had the uncanney valley effect like those digital stormtroopers did.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

As a 13 year old the # of lightsaber guys and fights we're AMAZING and CG was kewl

As an adult it's bad.

Georgie new his audience

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I never knew the Clone Troopers were CGI until it was pointed out :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Davros1 posted:

How

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Cartoony special effects, in my star wars???

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Davros1 posted:

turn your tv on

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
It’s not just the CGI, the cameras Lucas used on eps 2&3 had garbage sensors so the live action footage looks terrible. It’s especially hilarious on the blu-rays because you’ve got low-detail badly lit Ewan McGregor comped in to a room that looks like it belongs in a mid-00’s video game.

There are some comp issues in LotR as well—go back and watch the opening battle in FotR. Elrond looks green in comparison to the CGI people fighting “beside” him and there’s obvious haloing. Thankfully there’s not a ton of stuff like that, but there’s some if you look closely enough.

Almost special effects fall apart, though, given enough time. The only notable example I can think of where it still stands up is Jurassic Park. The stop motion puppet at the end of Terminator is more funny than terrifying these days. I’m not a huge fan of revisionism in film but I would be OK if Cameron went back and replaced the puppet with a CGI terminator exoskeleton. BTTF 2&3 have held up pretty well, but there are some places in 1 that could benefit from some cleanup, too—changing the lightning around the DeLorean from hand drawn to the CGI they used in 2&3 would help the movies look a little more consistent, if nothing else.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 10, 2017

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think you could make the mistake of thinking the clone troopers were real in some parts of revenge of the sith, but in AOTC almost every time you see the clone troopers its in an epic a battle shot that is clearly cg.

I think AOTC looks especially bad because it was one of the first major digital films. Revenge looks so much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

The clones in cockpits and many of the clones in tight shots/dialogue scenes are real. Temuera Morrison word a bodysuit and they painted the armor on.

Also in ROTS they hired ex-military guys to run around and jump over logs for animation reference. After watching AOTC they realized that many of the clones run around and navigate a battlefield like doughy Bay Area computer animators.