Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
So Minnesota is getting into the bag man game I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Doronin posted:

Holy. poo poo. Daniel Faalele AND Curtis Dunlap both committed to Minnesota tonight. That's quite a coup considering the committable offers those two had. PJ Fleck owes Zack Annexstad an upgrade on that PWO to a full ride.

Curtis wasn't too surprising, but Daniel was really close to committing to UGA several times this fall.

Faalele has visited Minnesota twice now and has said he would be willing to play anywhere in the country.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Bloopsy posted:

Faalele has visited Minnesota twice now and has said he would be willing to play anywhere in the country.

He is from Australia, so yeah.

Doronian knows both of them, I believe.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Here's another one (?)

https://twitter.com/jeremybanks32/status/939228839905030144

Looks like a late-era Nintendo 64 FPS

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Bloopsy posted:

I knew that, but if he had grown that fond of Minnesota, it was only within the past several weeks and none of the coaching staff at the school had any idea. They were all thinking it was either Michigan or Georgia. I think it came down to his friendship with Curtis Dunlap and Zack that put it over the top. I think Fleck and co. also did a great job selling his mom on the Gophers.

Regnevelc posted:

He is from Australia, so yeah.

Doronian knows both of them, I believe.

ha, yes indeed. :)

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Haven't really heard anything between him and Michigan in months. Was Georgia even still recruiting him seriously?

Not that I doubt the pull of Minnesota, but it seemed like most of the bigger programs that were intrigued by his physical abilities had cooled on him

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Real Name Grover posted:

Here's another one (?)

https://twitter.com/jeremybanks32/status/939228839905030144

Looks like a late-era Nintendo 64 FPS

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Marquis de Pyro posted:

Haven't really heard anything between him and Michigan in months. Was Georgia even still recruiting him seriously?

Not that I doubt the pull of Minnesota, but it seemed like most of the bigger programs that were intrigued by his physical abilities had cooled on him

He was definitely still getting recruited heavily by everyone, UGA included. And his last visit before this weekend was to Alabama, and they're not bringing anyone in that isn't a take. Michigan, however, I couldn't speak to. They've been unusually quiet at IMG lately. But another aspect of his recruitment is that before August 2016, he had no exposure whatsoever to college football. Literally didn't know the difference between an Alabama or a Clemson and say, Hawaii or Troy. It was all the same to him, so he was the only recruit in America approaching the process without any preconceived notions about anyone. So he just took everything at face value, for what it was, and went with what he felt was the best fit.

I think he probably chose the Gophers because it came with the least pressure. Since the spring, he took on this '8th wonder of the world' kind of thing with people coming up to him, tugging at him and asking for photos, and he hated it. Especially after The Opening. Now he has a place he can develop and not have as much attention on him and play with his best friends.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Doronin posted:

He was definitely still getting recruited heavily by everyone, UGA included. And his last visit before this weekend was to Alabama, and they're not bringing anyone in that isn't a take. Michigan, however, I couldn't speak to. They've been unusually quiet at IMG lately. But another aspect of his recruitment is that before August 2016, he had no exposure whatsoever to college football. Literally didn't know the difference between an Alabama or a Clemson and say, Hawaii or Troy. It was all the same to him, so he was the only recruit in America approaching the process without any preconceived notions about anyone. So he just took everything at face value, for what it was, and went with what he felt was the best fit.

I think he probably chose the Gophers because it came with the least pressure. Since the spring, he took on this '8th wonder of the world' kind of thing with people coming up to him, tugging at him and asking for photos, and he hated it. Especially after The Opening. Now he has a place he can develop and not have as much attention on him and play with his best friends.

Makes sense. I could see the opportunity to make something of yourself away from the hype and pressure seeming pretty good

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Doronin posted:

That's awesome. Good for him. :3:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Doronin posted:

How has he developed, considering he's greener than goose poo poo?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

C. Everett Koop posted:

How has he developed, considering he's greener than goose poo poo?

Gotten stronger, actually understands the game to a point where he's able to play at full speed without having to think so much about it. Fundamentally improved his footwork quite a lot and mastered being able to use his hands. He also got surprisingly effective as a pass blocker at the RT spot, which is most likely a direct result of having to block Nolan Smith (2019 UGA commit), Xavier Thomas (Clemson) and Stephon Wynn (Alabama) at practice every single day.

Now can he be effective at LT? That I don't know, because I don't think he had any reps at that position this year that I ever saw. Junior Evan Neal (also 6-foot-8, 375 pounds) took over the LT spot in August and never let it go.

The only area I think Daniel still needs work in is straight ahead drive blocking. Which seems crazy given how gigantic and strong as he is, but for some reason IMG spent 0 time hitting the sled this season. He's powerful as all hell, so I don't think that'll be a difficult fix. He just needs to get better at playing a little lower and using his size to his advantage.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
There's a bunch of croots visiting Knoxville this weekend but the one that really stands out because he has a great name is 3* QB Michael Penix.

I hope he becomes the next Jim Bob Cooter so that I can go to a game and hear the entire stadium chanting his name

PEEEEEEENIIIIIIIXXXXXX

PEEEEEENIIIIIIIXXXXXXX

Or the stadium takes turns playing the Penix game yelling PENIX gradually louder until the teacher hears them.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
I guess Taggart and FSU are making a huge push for Justin Fields?

Seeing a lot of chatter about that. If I had to guess, I would say Florida is probably out on him and it’s down to Georgia or FSU on a last minute flip.

BunLengthHotDog
Jun 30, 2003

Good Game

One down, one to go.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Shea Patterson to Michigan is official.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Stunt Rock posted:

Shea Patterson to Michigan is official.

Luckily Ta’amu is a stud, so y’all should be set. Is he a true freshman?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Auburn is joining in the Australian punter craze. They just got a commitment from a 25 year old former pro player.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
4* DT Tommy Togiai and 4* WR Kamryn Babb both pick Ohio State. Class really really needs a DE now but this might end up being a better class than last year’s somehow, which seems impossible.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
4* WR Alontae Taylor recommitted to UT this morning. I don't believe he was ever 100% gone and was just checking out his other options while we looked for a new coach, but it's good to have him back and a good start to Pruitt & team rebuilding the class.

Pruitt, Friend and Fulmer are all going to visit 5* OT Cade Mays and his family today to try and get him back on board. This will probably be the last time they really try, though he's not an EE so there's plenty of time left to recruit him. Would be nice to have him back as well.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Well after saying Ayodele Adeyoe wouldn't sign with Texas, it's looking like the momentum has swung all the way back. Tom Herman and Coach Orlando were both on campus (showed up unannounced) to see him. It's looking like it worked. Dele was wearing his Texas backpack again for the first time in weeks after the visit. Assuming they probably also looked in on junior RB Noah Cain.

Just this week, off the top of my head, other coaching staffs at IMG included Notre Dame (full staff), Clemson (most staff), Oklahoma, Georgia, Miami, Illinois and I'm forgetting a whole bunch. Anyway, it's been pretty crazy with the early signing coming up.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Joey Freshwater posted:

4* WR Alontae Taylor recommitted to UT this morning. I don't believe he was ever 100% gone and was just checking out his other options while we looked for a new coach, but it's good to have him back and a good start to Pruitt & team rebuilding the class.

Pruitt, Friend and Fulmer are all going to visit 5* OT Cade Mays and his family today to try and get him back on board. This will probably be the last time they really try, though he's not an EE so there's plenty of time left to recruit him. Would be nice to have him back as well.

It is starting to look like Tennessee going to have to scramble for a QB this class. We lost Penix today, and Frost is recruiting Martinez hard. Still according to Penix the new staff wasn’t interested in him which gives me hope they have another QB they feel good about. We need a QB this class.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

nate fisher posted:

It is starting to look like Tennessee going to have to scramble for a QB this class. We lost Penix today, and Frost is recruiting Martinez hard. Still according to Penix the new staff wasn’t interested in him which gives me hope they have another QB they feel good about. We need a QB this class.

Martinez flipped to Nebraska just now. The story is that they were told to move on and they’re shooting for Trevor Lawrence who already has an offer and was interested in UT originally because he’s a huge Peyton fan.

Like there’s no way we get him but yeah we definitely need QBs.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I was just pondering what QB recruit UT could try to find at this point because I don't think there is a D1 starter on the roster currently.

Doronin - Does VT really have any presence at IMG or is it kind of a rarity? We got Ladler, but I know that was more about not being scared away by his injury.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
Edit: that was a freaking fake Wes Rucker account. Sorry.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 14, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

nate fisher posted:

I just saw Wes Rucker tweet that UGA QB Jacob Eason is going to transfer and that Tennessee is a top contender (Pruitt recruited him to UGA).

Isn't that extraordinarily rare to transfer within your conference and division? I feel like coaches almost always block those.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Ehud posted:

Isn't that extraordinarily rare to transfer within your conference and division? I feel like coaches almost always block those.

It was a fake account that got me. Not going to happen.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Pretty sure that as it stands and if it were true, Kirby would have to release him and not block Tennessee as a location and he would also have to get a waiver from the SEC governing body. Usually those are only given to grad transfers who want to go to another SEC school and can claim with the most minimum lip service that their intended program isn't offered at their current school. That's what we did with Mo Smith after Saban relented and released him.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There’s no possible way that a school let’s a 5* QB transfer to a divisional rival and someone they play every year.

Bama and UGA never play each other so that made some bit of sense, plus with UGA having the major he wanted.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I know it was false, but how could they stop him from transferring to another SEC school? Couldn’t he just go JUCO for a year and transfer to whatever school he wanted? Just curious.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think in that case he could yeah, if he was okay with burning a year of eligibility. Though he may get this year back, but I havent followed that.

Kamara did that moving from Bama to us.

Ultimately both schools have to approve the transfer to wherever he’s going. They’re not going to approve transferring within division or conference and likely not anyone on their upcoming OOC schedule. Going the JUCO route is how kids get around that.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Yeah, thanks for Martinez I guess (now we can have "A-Magic" to go along with Taylor "T-Magic" Martinez" :v: ). A bit wary of guys who sit out their senior year, but what do I know?

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Yeah my post was more of "this is how it would have to go" because there is no way that Kirby is going to sign of on him going to Tennessee, which I think it is poo poo that coaches have to sign off if a player wants to transfer for whatever. I don't think he can get a redshirt because he has played garbage time snaps this season, so he really just has 2 more eligible years.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Real Name Grover posted:

Yeah, thanks for Martinez I guess (now we can have "A-Magic" to go along with Taylor "T-Magic" Martinez" :v: ). A bit wary of guys who sit out their senior year, but what do I know?

I know next to nothing about the guy but he seems like a good pickup and I'm sure Frost can get him in a good place. Just wasn't a fit for the offense Helton runs I guess.

I actually do appreciate when new coaches do that - let a kid know, "hey maybe you should look elsewhere, you're not a good fit for what we're doing here" early enough that he's got time to find somewhere else to go. Yeah, it's tanking our class but I'd rather have guys that fit than I square peg, round hole situation. See: Hurd, Jalen

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Doronin - Does VT really have any presence at IMG or is it kind of a rarity? We got Ladler, but I know that was more about not being scared away by his injury.

I haven't heard of them having anyone here since the season ended, although that doesn't mean much. Lots of unannounced visitors lately. But VT usually spend a fair amount of time visiting during January and spring ball April/May. Bud Foster is the one I see around the most, and Galen Scott has been a consistent visitor when he's in the area. So they're here as much as most other P-5 schools. If they'd get a little more aggressive, there's no reason they couldn't be scooping up more guys from here.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

nate fisher posted:

I know it was false, but how could they stop him from transferring to another SEC school? Couldn’t he just go JUCO for a year and transfer to whatever school he wanted? Just curious.

That happens all the time, yes, so it is absolutely possible. Saivion Smith just did it with LSU -> MGCCC -> Alabama. Cam Newton from UF -> Blinn -> Auburn back in 2009-10.

Doronin fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 14, 2017

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Joey Freshwater posted:

I know next to nothing about the guy but he seems like a good pickup and I'm sure Frost can get him in a good place. Just wasn't a fit for the offense Helton runs I guess.

I actually do appreciate when new coaches do that - let a kid know, "hey maybe you should look elsewhere, you're not a good fit for what we're doing here" early enough that he's got time to find somewhere else to go. Yeah, it's tanking our class but I'd rather have guys that fit than I square peg, round hole situation. See: Hurd, Jalen

On that note, one of our two former 4* pro-style QBs (Patrick O'Brien or Tristan Gebbia) will probably look to transfer after spring practice shakes out, so tell Helton to send a guy to Lincoln to watch or something.

divx
Aug 21, 2005

KKKLIP ART posted:

Yeah my post was more of "this is how it would have to go" because there is no way that Kirby is going to sign of on him going to Tennessee, which I think it is poo poo that coaches have to sign off if a player wants to transfer for whatever. I don't think he can get a redshirt because he has played garbage time snaps this season, so he really just has 2 more eligible years.

He can redshirt the year he has to sit out though right?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

divx posted:

He can redshirt the year he has to sit out though right?

As long as he hasn't taken one, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Matt Corral flipped to Ole Miss. This class is about to implode.

• Locked thread