Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I had a dream where RimWorld had a new game mode where you started in a built up large community with control of a small part of its population and had to survive or evacuate as disasters hit the area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Flesh Forge posted:

You have to construct Heavy bridges to support walls, not basic ones. Also you can't place heaters on basic bridges. It's OK to place interior floors as basic bridges as well as doorways, that prison floorplan is a good example: white = basic bridge made of bone, dark = heavy bridges made of granite. it takes time and tonnnnnnnnns of resources and more time but it lets you build pretty amazing poo poo out over water :woop:

I made a map that's like 90% water figuring I'd hard-terraform an offshore base, this will certainly make things easier :stare: I didn't think anything heavier than conduits could go on bridges regardless of which kind

EDIT: You can put wind turbines on heavy bridges :swoon:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 9, 2017

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

So the hospitality mod has a feature that allows visitors to do work around your colony. Mine, plant, research, what have you.

One just walked into my prison and poached one of the prisoners I was attempting to recruit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Danaru posted:

I made a map that's like 90% water figuring I'd hard-terraform an offshore base, this will certainly make things easier :stare: I didn't think anything heavier than conduits could go on bridges regardless of which kind

EDIT: You can put wind turbines on heavy bridges :swoon:

You can put EVERYTHING on heavy bridges, you can put wind turbines on BASIC bridges. I'd recommend the bone mod though so you don't have the greasy feeling of putting all your power infrastructure on a wooden platform, although they're indestructible now.

Jerks, I just finished remodeling the kitchen :argh:

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Dusty Lens posted:

So the hospitality mod has a feature that allows visitors to do work around your colony. Mine, plant, research, what have you.

One just walked into my prison and poached one of the prisoners I was attempting to recruit.

I remember you can set zones for guests, so that's one way to deal with that issue. Can you adjust how generous guests are with gifts? I liked the dynamic of building hotels and giving your talky colonists more to do, but it breaks the economy pretty badly, especially when they start buying all your drugs and then giving you back the drugs because they had such a great time.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
I decided to train some boars for home defense on my tribal/medieval run since normally I've only kept cattle, first fight for them:

:catstare:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Flesh, which of the Call of Cthulhu mods do you use? Cults and what else?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait bridges are indestructible now?

If so that'd be nice because it's weird when my walls are still standing but the bridge they were built on fell apart.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

You can put EVERYTHING on heavy bridges, you can put wind turbines on BASIC bridges.

Is there some trick to this? I tried building some wooden piers out to the middle of a small lake and when I tried to build wind turbines on them it told me that the terrain wouldn't support it.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Question for some of you tiberium users, if I put a crate of tiberium in a room walled by sonic emitter fences, will the tiberium still grow and be harvestable even without a blossom tree or meteor?

Also, regarding the tiberium spike, can I create a geyser, blow up a box of tiberium around it, then have it become a tiberium geyser and stick the spike on it? I've come to realize my ocean fortress isn't the best spot for tiberium growth and harvesting

EDIT: Also is there a difference between the regular tiberium power plants and the GDI/NOD ones? Aside from being more expensive and non-denominational

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Danaru posted:

Question for some of you tiberium users, if I put a crate of tiberium in a room walled by sonic emitter fences, will the tiberium still grow and be harvestable even without a blossom tree or meteor?

Also, regarding the tiberium spike, can I create a geyser, blow up a box of tiberium around it, then have it become a tiberium geyser and stick the spike on it? I've come to realize my ocean fortress isn't the best spot for tiberium growth and harvesting

EDIT: Also is there a difference between the regular tiberium power plants and the GDI/NOD ones? Aside from being more expensive and non-denominational

Yeah you can put a crate of tiberium down and get it to grow independent of blossoms or meteors. Just buy it from a tiberium merchant and use that. I do it frequently so I can control where the tiberium ends up and when the events happen I just go scorched earth on the spawner, harvest every single last crystal left behind and then make an orders grid and click every one to make sure there's no invisible 5% crystals hiding. I keep that poo poo under control or it will ruin the map.

Growing tiberium requires terrain though, like soil, and you have to blow up the crate. I usually just chuck grenades at it until it pops. Don't let tiberium touch water, tiberium glaciers are incredibly annoying to deal with and completely useless.

Never messed with a tiberium spike, so can't say. The power plants though, at least for the GDI side, make a poo poo-ton more power than a standard one.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

It's becoming increasingly clear that this ice sheet mission will be unsustainable. Unless a ton of steel drops from the sky, I don't have the means to make that hydroponics basin produce anything. One sunlamp eats up the battery and the wind isn't reliable enough to maintain power. My psychotic cannibal can survive on human meat indefinitely, but that's the other problem: Despite having nothing to do but practice shooting, this rear end in a top hat hasn't hit poo poo in the last several raids. It's like the increased wealth has changed the probability that bullets will actually do any damage, if they hit at all. So I can't really survive multi-man raids anymore. The charge rifle's range is smaller than I realized before, too.

I couldn't find that old post where somebody managed to get a stable hydroponics setup going in their frozen shack. Was that Reddit or this thread?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
reddit. the only other person who's done an ice sheet thing in this thread to my knowledge was zhentar and he didn't get hydroponics working properly either if memory serves.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I accomplished a vanilla ice sheet run a while back. Things have changed since then and I rarely play vanilla anymore so my own experiences may not do a very good job of informing current demands.

Being said my one greatest takeaway was that refining steel scraps for metal was a trap. The power and material requirements were outrageous in addition to the harm of venturing into the deadly temperatures to actually retrieve material invited. Instead, as I recall, I invested in a comm system and simply purchased additional steel with materials scavenged from raiders.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Coolguye posted:

reddit. the only other person who's done an ice sheet thing in this thread to my knowledge was zhentar and he didn't get hydroponics working properly either if memory serves.

Thanks. Looks like he managed to get hydro going, but it's difficult.

Zhentar posted:

My first successful sea ice hydroponics harvest!

edit: should've taken a screenshot where you can see the outdoor temperature. It's -141C.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I think that Zhentar did his thing back when people who visited you on sea ice wouldn't bring climate-appropriate clothing. So everyone would freeze to death nigh instantly. Which was hilarious.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
That still happens sometimes. I like to play in extreme biomes a lot and probably 30-40% of a raid or even friendly visit seems to not have the proper clothing, and either freezes to death or suffers from heatstroke before getting to my base often enough.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Someone found that there was a mod conflict with Nature's Sweet. What mod was incompatible with it?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Ruggan posted:

Flesh, which of the Call of Cthulhu mods do you use? Cults and what else?

Cosmic Horrors, Factions, and Elder Things (with their prerequisites), I didn't take Industrial Age but maybe I should have because it adds some nice middle-tech things.

Amperor posted:

Is there some trick to this? I tried building some wooden piers out to the middle of a small lake and when I tried to build wind turbines on them it told me that the terrain wouldn't support it.

You can't build on Marshy Soil but if you have Fertile Fields you can convert Marshy Soil to something buildable after you research Terraforming. Tbh Fertile Fields is kind of mandatory for swamp maps unless you really want a map you can't build anything on period. It's called "Terraforming" but it's all basically workers moving piles of dirt around, I don't consider it really game breaking.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1202250958

e: That is not what you said (I just woke up) - I dunno, it let me do it :shrug: I used bone but I don't think that should matter.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Dec 10, 2017

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Flesh Forge posted:

Cosmic Horrors, Factions, and Elder Things (with their prerequisites), I didn't take Industrial Age but maybe I should have because it adds some nice middle-tech things.

You can't build on Marshy Soil but if you have Fertile Fields you can convert Marshy Soil to something buildable after you research Terraforming. Tbh Fertile Fields is kind of mandatory for swamp maps unless you really want a map you can't build anything on period. It's called "Terraforming" but it's all basically workers moving piles of dirt around, I don't consider it really game breaking.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1202250958

e: That is not what you said (I just woke up) - I dunno, it let me do it :shrug: I used bone but I don't think that should matter.

Digging deep water trenches is kinda game breaking, but gently caress it I did it anyway and now raiders have a hilarious gauntlet of shooty death, trappy death and at the end burny death from wood floors to run through with no real choice or cover because it's all deep water instead of walls.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

If it won't let you build wind or solar generators on basic bridges I dunno what to tell you, it lets me:

Contact the mod author I guess :shrug:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Dang, my current colony has reached that stage where it pauses for about 5 seconds every few seconds :smith:
e: oh whew it went away, I was about to retire that colony :sweatdrop:

FYI, if you have that problem, wait a while, it might go away :shrug:

e: no, it's back again :( this sucks

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 10, 2017

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Run GC Cleaner?

SodiumEnriched
Apr 19, 2016
About to start a new colony, looking for mods in the meantime. What kind of endgame content mods are out there? I know about GlitterTech, but I'm not sure how I feel about getting curbstomped into oblivion by endgame-armored raids in early game.

Ran across a mod simply called Androids: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=35663.0 Seems cool, but the price for manufacturing labor seems too low (something like 20 food, 150 plasteel, 20 components), and any mod that includes research targets for maid dresses makes me a bit leery.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

Run GC Cleaner?

I should do this, yeah. It did go away again and stay gone but that's a good idea.

Amperor
Oct 27, 2010

Flesh Forge posted:

If it won't let you build wind or solar generators on basic bridges I dunno what to tell you, it lets me:

I realized what I was doing wrong; the turbines take up way more space than the sprite they give you to place when you build it. I widened out my platforms and we're good to go!

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I started a game on a planet with temperature and rainfall turned to the max, and settled in an equatorial tropical mountain range on the coast with a highway passing through it. I got a perfect spot in the middle of the map right next to the road, a mountain that stretches into the ocean so it's surrounded by deep water on two sides and stretches to the edge of the map. All the traders and visitors collapse from extreme heatstroke right about exactly as soon as they pass in front of my base, except the evolved apes from the Planet of the Apes mod (which I guess is why they're destined to replace us): one time a caravan of enlightened apes came through but all their human and twi'lek slaves cooked.

e: boo, Force powers don't work while you're wearing a Shield Belt, but I guess stopping bullets and energy blasts is what my lightsaber is for

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Dec 10, 2017

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Very hot is MUCH more difficult than very cold, although yeah that's a funny outcome with dudes falling down from heatstroke :thumbsup:

Amperor posted:

I realized what I was doing wrong; the turbines take up way more space than the sprite they give you to place when you build it. I widened out my platforms and we're good to go!

Note that they can't be walked through so you have to leave some extra space around them for maintenance etc. Also very important to note: wood bridges are indestructible now (because raider AI kept making them attack bridges over zealously) but they still burn, which, uh, I guess means they burn forever if you let them, which is probably really dangerous/exploitable, fyi :shrug:

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Does this game have the same problem as dwarf fortress (once you get big old colony the game chugs to a crawl)?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It's not exactly intended for a population of 200+ but it doesn't have the same kind of chug problem that DF has with a moderate population and on a middle size map. I have a pop of 31 now and on a 300x300 map (larger than recommended) and it's sluggish at 3x speed (which is where I like it most of the time out of combat) but totally fine really.

I guess Goatwood is getting up in the world because we're starting to get some of the nastier raids:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Hang in there Brin :black101:

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Any recommended faction mods?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Apparently Jecrell added a new god :pervert:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

BATTLE STATIONS! :black101:

Mmm jelly

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Dec 10, 2017

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Red in the second image looks like she's cosplaying as Krang from TMNT with a more metal helmet.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Fperson1 posted:

About to start a new colony, looking for mods in the meantime. What kind of endgame content mods are out there? I know about GlitterTech, but I'm not sure how I feel about getting curbstomped into oblivion by endgame-armored raids in early game.

Ran across a mod simply called Androids: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=35663.0 Seems cool, but the price for manufacturing labor seems too low (something like 20 food, 150 plasteel, 20 components), and any mod that includes research targets for maid dresses makes me a bit leery.

End game mods suffer from the ability of the things gained to be present in the early game that essentially makes the early and midgame ridiculously easy - Glittertech is one of them. Although the buildings are locked behind tons of research - and honestly I've never gotten that far on the few Glittertech playthroughs I did - the weapons can be bought off traders for a few thousand. Even a poor version of the... M-R5? in the hands of two of your colonists means that tribal raids of 20 or more are even trivial to fight, most pirate raids are poo poo. It took several years for the Orion corp to even send one raid. I'd send one dude in tattered clothing to a pirate base and he'd clean up handily.

I've been trying Sparkling Worlds instead - the weapons are far more balanced in that they're definitely better than vanilla, but not outrageously so. I've not got to the manufacturing of things yet, nor power plant, but what I've read sounds good.

Advanced power generation sounds OP based on comments.

Rimsenal looks like it could be interesting, but that whole running a nuclear plant is scary to me as opposed to plopping something down and forgetting about it.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)
The points you made kind of makes me feel like there should be a sustainable cost to weapons, beyond wear. You already have limitations on “ammo” for stuff like the shock and insanity lance - I think adding in some logistics and tech to back up having ammo seems reasonable. Want to use your mini gun to mow down turtles? Sure, but it becomes prohibitively expensive. That way, if a raider drops a sweet assault rifle after he steps on a deadfall, you can get some short term advantage, till your bullets run out, and you don’t have the tech to reload more.

This can be done for every kind of ranged weapon - Pilas, arrows, bullets, grenades.

Edit: this can also help break some of the behind cover standoffs.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Dalaram posted:

The points you made kind of makes me feel like there should be a sustainable cost to weapons, beyond wear. You already have limitations on “ammo” for stuff like the shock and insanity lance - I think adding in some logistics and tech to back up having ammo seems reasonable. Want to use your mini gun to mow down turtles? Sure, but it becomes prohibitively expensive. That way, if a raider drops a sweet assault rifle after he steps on a deadfall, you can get some short term advantage, till your bullets run out, and you don’t have the tech to reload more.

This can be done for every kind of ranged weapon - Pilas, arrows, bullets, grenades.

Edit: this can also help break some of the behind cover standoffs.

there is a mod that does this, if memory serves. I think it's called something like "combat extended"? I could be wrong but I think it pretty much does all of that.

edit: I should note I've not used it, I generally play on randy random and I can see having a couple of ill-timed raids being super annoying to deal with if you've not got any ammo.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Day 666

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Flesh Forge posted:

Very hot is MUCH more difficult than very cold, although yeah that's a funny outcome with dudes falling down from heatstroke :thumbsup:

Note that they can't be walked through so you have to leave some extra space around them for maintenance etc. Also very important to note: wood bridges are indestructible now (because raider AI kept making them attack bridges over zealously) but they still burn, which, uh, I guess means they burn forever if you let them, which is probably really dangerous/exploitable, fyi :shrug:

You may enter my base and take the riches within, but only if you can cross my BRIDGE OF ETERNAL FIRE :black101: