Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
This has been the best carousel in years. It opened with Freeze getting fired for calling hookers on his work phone and ended with Tennessee’s Count of Monte Christo style revenge scheme and Jimbo Fisher swearing fealty to a collie. I can’t imagine a carousel topping this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Stunt Rock posted:

This has been the best carousel in years. It opened with Freeze getting fired for calling hookers on his work phone and ended with Tennessee’s Count of Monte Christo style revenge scheme and Jimbo Fisher swearing fealty to a collie. I can’t imagine a carousel topping this one.

If Brian Kelly is hired by the Giants and Sumlin ends up at ND the entire continent will be standing waist-deep in my ejaculate.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

an adult beverage posted:

Is the 2017 carousel about wrapped up, who's left on the board?

I was going to say Georgia Southern, but they apparently made interim head coach Chad Lunsford permanent.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Notorious ZSB posted:

The ASU coeds will come to regret that when their athletics fees go up. Not that they'll notice, seems like that place has 1 class and the class is topless party.

Real talk this hire feels completely like a pathetic handout to a friend, like Herm's old agent is the AD and is buddies with his new agent and they all just were like look: we can milk this Pac 12 school real hard with lots of business jargon when we announce you okay, you can go spend a few years playing golf in Arizona picking up on the hot moms Herm how does that sound while we drain this place of millions. I just can't see how a competent organization would hire a guy as HC who wasn't very good at it 20 years ago and doesn't even know what the NCAA recruiting rules are or that modern jerseys are made out of fancy materials that stretch and aren't just like burlap sacks anymore. It feels like a total farce and they're the maniacal baddies laughing in the background at how gullible the ASU admin is.

Pretty much. Then again Ray Anderson's only successful action recently was someone being able to hire Bobby Hurley as ASU's basketball coach, so while that might get him some flexibility, my hope is that the Herm Edwards Crazy (Bad) Train will get Edwards and Anderson fired within a few years...

Edit - Also, Edwards' contract (and thus buyout) is paid out of non-fee revenue, or at least that's my understanding. If athletic fees go up, it's likely more related to Michael Crow wanting to finance more on-campus construction and use up the last few green/open areas that ASU's campus has left.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Yeah like a junkie I want to keep this ride going. Hopefully we get back on the carousel when some NFL teams poach some of these college coaches. Brian Kelly come on down.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/SunDevilsAsk/status/939654360644034560

Hell yeah

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Don't go encouraging him.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Of course there is an exam. Where can I get a PDF of that book?

E: I actually answered my own question: http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D118.pdf just in case you want to be a certified NCAA D1 coach!

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
The OP is accurate, I believe. 3 open spots: SMU, Louisiana Lafayette, and Kent State.

I expect SMU to make a P5 coordinator hire and Kent State to pull from the FCS. I'm not sure what to expect out of Louisiana Lafayette. Probably a P5 coordinator, but their reported pool of candidates range from the Penn State DC to Doug Nussmeier.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

kayakyakr posted:

I'm not sure what to expect out of Louisiana Lafayette. Probably a P5 coordinator, but their reported pool of candidates range from the Penn State DC to Doug Nussmeier.

:doh:

Just trying to come to terms with an athletic director making waaaaay more money than myself watching the UF offense and considering Doug loving Nussmeier in a coaching capacity.

:negative:

OBR
Apr 9, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

If Brian Kelly is hired by the Giants and Sumlin ends up at ND the entire continent will be standing waist-deep in my ejaculate.

I don't have any doubt that Kevin is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

But I don't believe he belongs at what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at Notre Dame. I don't think it adds up.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

OBR posted:

I don't have any doubt that Kevin is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

But I don't believe he belongs at what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at Notre Dame. I don't think it adds up.

I know he's a bad fit mainly with ND's stodgy fanbase (I think he'd actually do OK with ND's talent base), hence the copious ejaculation.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Sumlin did fine in the Big XII, so what I'm saying is... Sumlin to Kansas, please.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

OBR posted:

what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at Notre Dame

hmm...

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

OBR posted:

Lmfao

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

OBR posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh not sure this checks out?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

Sumlin did fine in the Big XII, so what I'm saying is... Sumlin to Kansas, please.

He’s never been a big xii head coach

OBR
Apr 9, 2009

""Espn.com" posted:

Longtime booster Red McCombs is not a fan of Texas' decision to hire coach Charlie Strong away from Louisville, calling it a "kick in the face" during a radio interview Monday.

"I think the whole thing is a bit sideways," McCombs said of the selection process during an interview with ESPN 1250 San Antonio. "I don't have any doubt that Charlie is a fine coach. I think he would make a great position coach, maybe a coordinator.

"But I don't believe [he belongs at] what should be one of the three most powerful university programs in the world right now at UT-Austin. I don't think it adds up."

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
that's certainly a deep track.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

MourningView posted:

He’s never been a big xii head coach

Did they make move before he became coach? I can't keep track. Whatever, still better than Beaty.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

I can't keep track. Whatever, still better than Beaty.

Still can't believe you guys kept him, no matter how impossible the job is and how much you're still paying Weis (are you still paying Weis? I just kinda guessed you were).

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

HannibalBarca posted:

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

Still can't believe you guys kept him, no matter how impossible the job is and how much you're still paying Weis (are you still paying Weis? I just kinda guessed you were).

I was going to say I wouldn't be surprised if they were still paying Gill, but I guess they bought him out outright, which led me to this cute tidbit researching out -

quote:

Gill's $2,101,200 salary was the fifth-highest in the Big 12 (lol). KU fans can thank ex-AD Lew Perkins for that. KU will pay the remaining three years of Gill's contract...

ESPN.com name-drops ex-Texas Tech coach Mike Leach, former South Florida coach Jim Leavitt, Southern Miss coach Larry Fedora and Houston coach Kevin Sumlin.

All of those people are better than Weis or Beaty too, great poo poo.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

HannibalBarca posted:

That was like a Dennis Miller version of a meme

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

Did they make move before he became coach? I can't keep track. Whatever, still better than Beaty.

I think his first year was their first season in the SEC. Agreed on Beaty though, I don’t understand how he kept that job

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

MourningView posted:

I think his first year was their first season in the SEC. Agreed on Beaty though, I don’t understand how he kept that job

"We beat Texas. A year ago."

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

OBR posted:

Did you just emerge from 60 years of cryogenic sleep?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
UCLA is bringing in Paul Rhoads as secondary coach which is a really good hire

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

kayakyakr posted:

I'm not sure what to expect out of Louisiana Lafayette. Probably a P5 coordinator, but their reported pool of candidates range from the Penn State DC to Doug Nussmeier.

Derek Dooley's name appeared there too last week.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

buddhanc posted:

Texas hired the TCU AD I guess

Or maybe it's another terrible gently caress up by the Texas football media

I read an article and it explains how this guy got TCU into the league:

quote:

I get up at 8 o’clock in the morning and drive to Darrell K. Royal Stadium. I get to [Dodds’] office. Nine comes around, 10 comes around. I’ve got a GA [graduate assistant] outside waiting for me, by the way. I tell him, ‘Just wait 10 minutes I’ll be back.’ Pretty soon it’s 3:30.

“[DeLoss] comes out and says, ‘Who are you?’ Chris Del Conte, Texas Christian U. He doesn’t hear ‘Chris.’ he hears ‘Del’. ‘Del, let’s go get ourselves a drink and discuss it.’

“We went to a restaurant and had a little libation at 3:30. By the time 8:30 rolls around, we were [into it] pretty good but we got ourselves in a situation. I kept trying to give him my [binders]. He said, ‘I’ve heard enough, Del’ and just walked away.”

The Big 12 ADs had a conference call the next day.

“The next morning I got up. Joe [Castiglione] goes, ‘I don’t know what you did but it worked.’ We got the vote. The Frogs are in,’ Del Conte said.

The fact that Texas' AD Dodds was basically Big 12 commissioner at that point should come as no surprise to anyone but it's crazy to rehash.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
TCU has been a pretty good addition to the Big 12

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Randaconda posted:

TCU has been a pretty good addition to the Big 12
I do wonder what'll happen when Gary Patterson retires, but that's probably at least a decade away at this point. TCU's gonna win the conference one of these years and sneak into the playoffs, they've been too good not to. They probably would've this year if Oklahoma's offense wasn't a goddamn chainsaw.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Even if your coach is horrible, if you fire them every two years, you turn into the Browns. Beatty sort of seemed like he was making progress last year, and aw gently caress what does it really matter anyway.

They should throw a bunch of money at one of the Air Raid guys, or see if Venables wants to get revenge on Snyder's stupid son.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

MourningView posted:

UCLA is bringing in Paul Rhoads as secondary coach which is a really good hire

I thought it was a great hire when he came to Arkansas 2 years ago. Our secondary regressed, unfortunately. I do like him and was impressed with his ISU run so wish him the best!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

Even if your coach is horrible, if you fire them every two years, you turn into the Browns. Beatty sort of seemed like he was making progress last year, and aw gently caress what does it really matter anyway.

They should throw a bunch of money at one of the Air Raid guys, or see if Venables wants to get revenge on Snyder's stupid son.

3 wins in 3 years should be unacceptable anywhere even historically terrible programs like Kansas or Rutgers

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

3 wins in 3 years should be unacceptable anywhere even historically terrible programs like Kansas or Rutgers

I think there are probably scenarios where programs are so bad that if there are measurable gains elsewhere (graduation, recruiting, etc.) that aren't reflected on the scoreboard yet, you may stick with them.

Maybe Kansas is there? It's been 10 years since they were good.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The recruiting is better but come on. They’ve won one conference game in three years.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

MourningView posted:

The recruiting is better but come on. They’ve won one conference game in three years.

I don’t know the specifics around Kansas, just commenting on how a completely wrecked program might be better off making incremental gains than they would just starting over again.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FBScoops saying Sonny Dykes is the likely new coach at SMU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

there's also this:

quote:

Colorado State: Sources tell FootballScoop former Florida State defensive coordinator Charles Kelly is a candidate for the Rams’ defensive coordinator job. We’re told he’s interviewing today with Mike Bobo.

• Locked thread