Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wasabi the J posted:

Zionism sucks and gently caress Israel.

Jews have been historically pretty cool and good to me.

I just don't honestly know what the gently caress to do and I don't envy anyone who has to make meaningful decisions in that region. It should be done by our most analytical and compassionate minds put together, but instead I cannot fathom Trump, Pence, or any member of his cabinet having any measure of compassion.

Like past cabinets were filled with people that I disagreed with but seemed reasonable. This cabinet seems so self serving and petty, I just feel disheartened.

The Israeli Government is awful and sucks, and Zionism is a cancer, but Jewish people are generally cool and good.

Wish we could just declare Jerusalem an International City and make it off limits to both Israeli and Palestinian governments and open to both religions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

You are a civilian as far as legally justifiable force is concerned if you are not actively involved, as far as I understand it. You do not need to be formally discharged - if someone lobs a missile into your family's living room while you are between deployments, that's a war crime.

The US tending to be thousands of miles from combat zones lets us gloss over most of this. If Iraq took out a reserve barracks in Georgia in 2003, people would be indignantly calling it a terror attack.

But. ....it wouldn't be, military barracks are a legitimate target

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CommieGIR posted:

The Israeli Government is awful and sucks, and Zionism is a cancer, but Jewish people are generally cool and good.

Wish we could just declare Jerusalem an International City and make it off limits to both Israeli and Palestinian governments and open to both religions.

We did but then there were a few wars and Israel claims it now with the US's backing.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

And reservists are still in the military.....if they don't wanna be targets, then they should object and refuse to be drafted, then face the consequences.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

How did the Israeli government get to where it is? Did the more radicals self select IE the normal jewish people stayed in the country they lived in while the more right leaning ones decide to move into a country surrounded by hostile countries?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Thalantos posted:

But. ....it wouldn't be, military barracks are a legitimate target

Thalantos posted:

And reservists are still in the military.....if they don't wanna be targets, then they should object and refuse to be drafted, then face the consequences.

who are you arguing with

what is the point you're trying to make

what does this have to do with anything

have you looked up the definition of civilian yet

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I think he's envisioning the entirety of Israel as one giant military base and thus a military target or something.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Thalanatos lusts for the blood of Israeli occupiers! If they didn't want to get dead they should have just opted to become pariahs in the community they were born into!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
the None Are Innocent approach is pretty straightforward if nothing else

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

A lot of countries have conscript service. This does not mean they are combatants after they serve. If you think otherwise, younspent way too much time in the military and need to realize not everyone lives that poo poo.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If we issue a flak vest and a weapons kit to every living person within a hundred miles of Jerusalem we could then claim all of them are combatants and live stream the whole shebang.

Trump TVs first big reality show hit series.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

What's with the recent influx of idiots in this thread that want to keep arguing about poo poo when they clearly don't understand anything they are talking about?

Is Thalantos the new Grover?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Soulex posted:

A lot of countries have conscript service. This does not mean they are combatants after they serve. If you think otherwise, younspent way too much time in the military and need to realize not everyone lives that poo poo.

They are if they're in the reserves, at least, and actively drilling.

I'm taking issue with that tweet that implies the Israelis are all innocent civilians. Some are....a lot are not. You don't get to cry about innocent civilians being killed when the person in question is still serving in some capacity, has training, has gear and weapons issued they keep with them pretty much 24/7, ect.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

i say kill 'em all and let Yaweh sort 'em out

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

GoGoGadget posted:

What's with the recent influx of idiots in this thread that want to keep arguing about poo poo when they clearly don't understand anything they are talking about?

Some kind of subforum stop-loss policy, to help GiP maintain full retard strength.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Doc Hawkins posted:

Some kind of subforum stop-loss policy, to help GiP maintain full retard strength.

Glad I could contribute.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

How did the Israeli government get to where it is? Did the more radicals self select IE the normal jewish people stayed in the country they lived in while the more right leaning ones decide to move into a country surrounded by hostile countries?

This has certainly been the case among the members of my temple who've since moved to Israel. One of the guys who was all gung ho about joining up used to complain about how Ronald Reagan was too soft in standing up to the Soviets.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

we are gonna need an updated :happyelf: if we are gonna keep up the i/p chat

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Pretty much. When you live surrounded by countries who want to kill you, you get a little twitchy.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
According to some of my cousins who’ve come back to the States, a lot of Israel’s current issues is the more strict adherents at gaining more political clout while not contributing to society. They get to not fight/join the IDF but hold political power. They also don’t work and campaign/vote in mass which allows them to form a substantial unified front. There are some settlements near the West Bank where women get harassed for wearing a knee length skirt.

The ultra conservative are also the ones pushing for additional new settlements and are attempting to put breed both the Palestinians and their liberal counterparts.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Part of it is that in 1977 the Israeli communist/labor parties lost a lot of power to the right wing Likud party due to some scandals and finger pointing after the Yom Kippur War.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Kippur_War#Response_in_Israel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_legislative_election,_1977#Background

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Thalantos posted:

They are if they're in the reserves, at least, and actively drilling.

I'm taking issue with that tweet that implies the Israelis are all innocent civilians. Some are....a lot are not. You don't get to cry about innocent civilians being killed when the person in question is still serving in some capacity, has training, has gear and weapons issued they keep with them pretty much 24/7, ect.

lol that av change was quick.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Syncopated posted:

lol that av change was quick.

Whatever happened to that? We used to buy red text for almost everyone.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Doing business in Israel is challenging, because Israelis harbor a strong preference for buying Israeli and will oftentimes select Israeli companies over other competitors even when price and performance are taken into consideration. The government also provides a large amount of assistance to Israeli startups, including outreach and marketing.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

BigDave posted:

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
I/P CURES THREADS

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Did we ever find out if Sobel is a Jew or not? Serious question.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Stultus Maximus posted:

JFC people it's a figure of speech. "The uniform" is taken to mean military service and "take off the uniform" means to leave the service.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synecdoche

A bunch of D&Ders have showed up recently, so interpretation and critical thinking are completely out the window in here until they get bored again.

CommieGIR posted:

Tom Clancy saves the world.

An earlier solution got derailed.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 10, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Godholio posted:

8/10

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

BigDave posted:

I still am King human being of GiP and no one can take that from me.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Man we should setup a US colony in Iraq and just convince our zealots to move there.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Man we should setup a US colony in Iraq and just convince our zealots to move there.

Would solve a lot of problems domestically.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

Hey my first red text! :) thanks, anonymous goon!

I wish I had a huge dick in my bag, tho.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Make Kurdistan the 51'st US state.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Godholio posted:

:golfclap:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The Palestinians make a good boogeyman for the Israeli's to rally against

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Make Kurdistan the 51'st US state.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
"Maybe Putin Was Right" says noted pedophile Senate candidate before speaking in Russian and awwwshucks'ing his way out of it.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/dec/09/roy-moore-praise-putin-russia-alabama

lol we're all hosed and have been sold out

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Please don't get down on the fact that Alabama is going to elect a terrible person to the Senate after they've continually elected this terrible person to every office he's run for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Please don't get down on the fact that Alabama is going to elect a terrible person to the Senate after they've continually elected this terrible person to every office he's run for.

It's not like they don't have a history of electing real winners.

• Locked thread