Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Snooze Cruise posted:

When will Hollywood learn that the only live action manga adaption we need is Monster?

Fixed for you. I haven't given up hope yet. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Sirotan posted:

They need to hurry and get it made while Wilford Brimley is still alive.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Sirotan posted:

You and me, buddy. If well done, it would be an amazing thriller.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Meant to post this photoshop horror job last night:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Screenplay by Cline and Zak Penn, noted and acclaimed scribe of such works as X-Men: The Last Stand, The Grand, Elektra and Behind Enemy Lines.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Tars Tarkas posted:

New trailer dropped couple minutes ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSp1dM2Vj48

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

teagone posted:

That seems pretty obnoxious.

And lol at two trailers featuring weird, uncanny valley anime homunculi dropping in one week.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

teagone posted:

Oh hello, "You die in the game, you die for real". Like they couldn't just keep the stakes aren't as high as they are, they have to add that in.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The fact that Tracer is in it, means that they are adding in even more lovely references to the film adaptation.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I saw Gundam and Chun-Li too lmao. And I think a Battletoad? I never read the book, but the movie makes the premise sound stupid as hell. Is the book stupid as hell too?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

teagone posted:

Is the book stupid as hell too?

It's literally a few hundred pages of nonstop pop culture references. The loser kid protagonist wins, saves the world and gets the girl because he knows the most references.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
RP1 is easily the worst novel I’ve read in the past 10 years, and I say that as someone who used to buy Star Wars EU hardcover books on release day.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Tars Tarkas posted:

Is his game superpower mrs incredible

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The fact that Tracer is in it, means that they are adding in even more lovely references to the film adaptation.

It's also something that appeared after Cline's book, so it just begs the question, why isn't there some made-up 2030-2040s pop culture roaming about?

teagone posted:

I saw Gundam and Chun-Li too lmao. And I think a Battletoad? I never read the book, but the movie makes the premise sound stupid as hell. Is the book stupid as hell too?

The RX-78 Gundam showing up absolutely happens in the book. But yeah, the book actually is stupid as hell.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Young Freud posted:

It's also something that appeared after Cline's book, so it just begs the question, why isn't there some made-up 2030-2040s pop culture roaming about?

It's because Spielberg ordered the references to his stuff--which are legion--removed, so they had to come up with new things to say, "Oh, hey, look, remember this? If you remember or recognize this, it means you're cool!"

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

The bad book podcast I Don't Even Own a Television has an episode on Ready Player One if you want to hear what exactly is wrong with it, it's about an hour long:

http://www.idontevenownatelevision.com/2014/06/19/010-ready-player-one-w-mike-sacco/

quote:

HOLY poo poo. People like this book. SMART people like this book. The New York Times liked this book. The problem is that this book is a piece of crap that basically functions as a checklist of nostalgia items from the 1980’s.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Pretty sure the book has multiple podcasts and articles about how terrible it is, also if you bashed Cline or the book on twitter Cline would like your tweets, thus I blocked him there.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Young Freud posted:

That would require creativity, something which doesnt interact with Rp1 in any sense

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I feel like I'd have a more fulfilling time reading about all the behind-the-scenes legal wrangling that had to take place for this film to use the likenesses not already owned by WB, than I would sitting through the movie. Or would some of it be considered fair use?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like I could get exactly the same level of enjoyment as watching Ready Player One by having someone toss a box of my old toys at me and see how many I can recognize before they smash into my face.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
Lord knows I'm not the first person to make this reference, but:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

got any sevens posted:

Is his game superpower mrs incredible

I can't tell if it's depressing or just fitting that you went there instead of to Mr Fantastic.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

I can't tell if it's depressing or just fitting that you went there instead of to Mr Fantastic.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I feel like I could get exactly the same level of enjoyment as watching Ready Player One by having someone toss a box of my old toys at me and see how many I can recognize before they smash into my face.
This is still giving ready player one too much credit imho

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Punkin Spunkin posted:

This is still giving ready player one too much credit imho

Yeah, it's truly awful. Apparently his second book is even worse, but seeing as how I couldn't put up with the first one for more than half an hour I'm not going to find out.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Timby posted:

It's because Spielberg ordered the references to his stuff--which are legion--removed, so they had to come up with new things to say, "Oh, hey, look, remember this? If you remember or recognize this, it means you're cool!"

Why did he want references to his stuff removed?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Why did he want references to his stuff removed?

Probably because he'd feel weird about directing a film filled with idolatry of his own films.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

https://twitter.com/RockLeeSmile/status/939962006089666561

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I dunno, the characters and fights operate on a completely different set of physical rules from anything else and would be an absolute nightmare to depict in a live action film in a way that did justice to the source. It's pretty much the martial arts equivalent of a Looney Tunes cartoon.

I'd say it's a nightmare because of the amount of martial arts choreography and CGI needed but otherwise it doesn't seem more challenging than anything else done in Hollywood in terms of new filmmaking or special effects techniques. Super strength, super speed, flight, energy projection... we've seen it all before.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
No one watches Dragon Ball for the fights, they watch it for the conclusions of the fights and character drama. This is why 'One Punch Man', a series where the fights always conclude instantly is so popular :v:.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

FoneBone posted:

Lord knows I'm not the first person to make this reference, but:

can someone please make a Ready Player One thread just so we can post long leg photoshops?

also, if we do, it should be called Ready Player One: BRING IT IN, GUYS!!! *every character from every game, comic, cartoon, TV Show, movie and book reality come in with everything for a HUGE party*

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

teagone posted:

The movie will at least be better than the book, because the movie won't be able to explain each reference as it appears like the book does.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Anonymous Zebra posted:

No one watches Dragon Ball for the fights, they watch it for the conclusions of the fights and character drama. This is why 'One Punch Man', a series where the fights always conclude instantly is so popular :v:.

I don't actually think you're too far from the truth, but I'd add that people watch it for the set up as much as the conclusion.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

https://twitter.com/realhartman/status/939588523522383872

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Schwarzwald posted:

I don't actually think you're too far from the truth, but I'd add that people watch it for the set up as much as the conclusion.

This is true for pretty much all action movies and TV. Action is only really amazing if you have some kind of plot or characters or setup to be interested in, otherwise you're just watching Xiao Xiao videos or clips from fighting games.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

got any sevens posted:

Is her name pronounced Arita

No, Gally.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

I saw this on RockLeeSmile's Twitter before and didn't understand it until this thread.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Didn't read the book, but I heard the podcast about it. I think the book sounds like it's one of those books that should have been a screenplay. Seems like a very "visual" story.

At best I think the movie will be a generic "if you die in the game you die for real" action flick with the added spice of "oh hey I got that reference." I trust Spielberg to make the story enough his own that it isn't boring or offensively bad.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

Didn't read the book, but I heard the podcast about it. I think the book sounds like it's one of those books that should have been a screenplay. Seems like a very "visual" story.

At best I think the movie will be a generic "if you die in the game you die for real" action flick with the added spice of "oh hey I got that reference." I trust Spielberg to make the story enough his own that it isn't boring or offensively bad.
No, it just plain shouldn't exist.

The world is hosed!
Video game are of high importantance!
The world is still hosed!

Edit: I'm mad that Spielberg is wasting his time with this poo poo instead of making another Tintin movie.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've been thinking that Spielberg is doing this movie to prevent any of his stuff being tainted by this movie.

• Locked thread