Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Lorini posted:

I got a Kraken. Worth changing my Shoormite armor for something melee for? 117 damage does seem impressive. I have some turtle shells.

Yo-Yos are a tad underwhelming without a yo-yo bag, which requires finding the skeleton merchant and hoping he has the right things for sale. But that is the 3rd best one if you really want to go for it.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

dis astranagant posted:

Yo-Yos are a tad underwhelming without a yo-yo bag, which requires finding the skeleton merchant and hoping he has the right things for sale. But that is the 3rd best one if you really want to go for it.

OK I'll be on the lookout for the counterweight, thanks.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

dis astranagant posted:

The simplest way is dump water over a 1 tile thick bump. It will split and each half will count as 1 full tile of water. you can automate this with pumps and make big cascading water generators if you want to put a ton of effort into it.

Ok, finally got it working, left it unattended and now there's honey everywhere

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Man it's weird that this is somehow not a nod towards jojo and stardust crusaders. Like, they made a set called the stardust armor that gives you a minion that has similar colors to star platinum from jojo and it looks like a stand and more or less operates like one and it all ends up not actually being a reference to it.

I dunno why but it just makes me laugh when poo poo like that happens.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Yessss I got the Raven staff dropped from the 10th or so Pumpking. Woooooooo! I've been waiting so long for any of the summons to be *maybe* good enough to justify Summoner armor and accessories. Always wanted tons of minions following me. Having a cloud of ravens flying on and offscreen and dealing with things before they even show up (because it's mobile version) is funny.

The only complaint making me wonder if I'd be better off with my Beetle set than all the minions is that they're still considerably slower than some enemies and bosses - I thought they'd be great for farming Wyverns but they just trail behind them harmlessly, phase shifted by half a period in their flight pattern. They do take out harpies offscreen but there's still usually about one feather per harpy that comes at me. I tried farming Plantera a lot of times and while it does seem easier than ever, Plantera still flies around and outruns the minions for a lot of the battle free from behind his cloud of Ravens mixed with damage numbers popping up, and I did die once when he didn't go down fast enough. I have heard Ravens are the best minion to bring against Duke Fishron (the hardest boss on Mobile) but after seeing how fast he moves in battle... I just don't know if it will help. Can't wait to try farming Golem with this though - that dude mostly sits still.

I was also excited because I thought I had seen them go through walls, but now that I have it they do get stuck in caves just like the Twins minions do. Before this I had the Twins out all the time but if I had used Summoner armor & accessories to get like 20 of them I think they would have just tripped all over each other due to the mis-timed invincibility frames nullifying many of their (slower paced, smaller and thus more armor-affected) attacks. But that would have been madness too and I still might try it.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 23, 2017

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember the phantasm ball that drops from the eclipse beyond pretty good.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Desktop only, though, so not in my game :( Beyond the Ravens there's just the Sharknado in mobile, which if I can get that I don't need Minions' help anymore because I can already beat the hardest boss

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Reading about it it sounds rad as gently caress though, love the sickle from the Eclipse too as it's the only thing I've found that solves the attacking through walls problem

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Steam plugged me a Terraria-alike called Dig or Die. It's gimmick seems to be that it has physics. Has anyone tried it?

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

Steam plugged me a Terraria-alike called Dig or Die. It's gimmick seems to be that it has physics. Has anyone tried it?

I've beaten it once and had a really good time. It's biggest strength is that its paced real good in comparison to Terraria. The constructions physics are interesting if hard to figure out. The tower defense elements are fun. I wrote a review that goes into more detail here.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I'm not entirely sure if I like calamity myself. I'm using it alongside thorium and the leveled mod. I'm geared up to a point where I'd be comfortable fighting skeletron and went to go fight calamity's crimson boss, and I couldn't even put a dent in the thing. I'm not sure if it was leveled or calamity itself or what. Maybe it's because I used the revengence item on an extreme world first before playing on a normal one? There cyst itself had 5900 hp which seems a bit much.

It just seemed to add a lot of fluff that is irrelevant by the time you can actually get it or isn't really worth the effort. Maybe I'll make a new world with spirit mod instead and see how that goes.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Terraria's odd. I got it in a Humble Bundle or Steam sale or something, tried to get into it a few times and never made it past the first 10 minutes or so. Wrote it off as a lazy 2D Minecraft ripoff (lol).

It finally clicked after doing a quick wiki of the early game and I found myself getting really sucked in. All the content makes Minecraft seems super-lazy, though really, they're both enjoyable for their own reasons.

Anyways, the last thing I'm trying to do before going to hardmode for the first time (on PC, I started with the mobile version but the controls were getting a little annoying) is track down a Metal Detector, the last component I need for the Cell Phone, since apparently Nymph spawns get even rarer after you beat WoF. I've been farting around in caves with a water candle, and battle/hunter potion, but still no luck. I see conflicting info on where they are most likely to spawn -- oddly they seemed a lot more common in the mobile version, but I don't think I've even seen one on PC yet. Any tips?

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 6, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

They're just stupidly rare in general. My advice is to construct yourself a Nymph catching tunnel, basically make a really long tunnel section at the appropriate depth (I forgot off-hand if it's caves or underground), pop your battle potion and run back and forth until you see her name pop up on your rare enemy detector item.

Alternatively, just cheat yourself a metal detector because it's not worth the annoyance.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anymore I just give myself a cellphone at the start because I've farmed that crap more than enough times.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Yeah, I was already really close to it to begin with from drops/fishing, so I am sorta stubbornly clinging to doing it legit.

I couldn't seem to find reliable info on whether it was caves or underground either.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I've found her in both underground and caves, but more often than not in the caverns. Carving out a tunnel that's a few screens long about midway down vertically gets best results. Make sure it's tall enough to comfortably jump around in, then set a few water candles down. Works like a charm with some patience.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
They seem like they spawn hella frequently in that time period in between starting the game and fighting your first boss for some reason. Every map I play it's like that. On my current one, I'm ready to fight the wall and just noticed I haven't seen one in ages now that I'm actually equipped enough to mow through them. Whereas in the beginning before I had armor they were so common I couldn't believe people were saying they're supposed to even be somewhat rare on Mobile (which I'm on). Got a Nymph banner my very first map.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I seem to remember nymphs being more common in ice caves for some reason.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jabarto posted:

If I remember correctly, it's that there's less special things competing for the rare spawn in the ice caverns.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Jabarto posted:

I read something like that on the wiki but it didn't give a reason, that is good to know. It did say that's why they're more rare in hardmode (since it's competing against more rare spawns).

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Whereas in the beginning before I had armor they were so common I couldn't believe people were saying they're supposed to even be somewhat rare on Mobile (which I'm on).

I know, right?

I had to give up on mobile (what I started on) - liked the casual pick-up nature of it, but the controls ended up being too frustrating, and it's nice having all the content from the desktop version.

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
It's more that when nymphs spawn, they just stay put, unlike every other enemy which immediately beelines towards the player. So you could be cave diving, a nymph could spawn in a little pocket that you can't see and you just never notice.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dootman posted:

It's more that when nymphs spawn, they just stay put, unlike every other enemy which immediately beelines towards the player. So you could be cave diving, a nymph could spawn in a little pocket that you can't see and you just never notice.
I think they have top priority on the rare creature sensor, so having one of those in your inventory should help.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's a small quality of life complaint but I wish rare enemy indicators would point you in a direction, even if that feature needed to be upgraded into. It sucks wandering so much and finally having an early mimic or a nymph show up, being unable to find it, and too afraid to wander because if you move in the wrong direction it'll despawn. So you pick a direction, head off tentatively, still don't see it -- whoops, now it's off your rare creature detector. Head back to where you were, and it's gone. Despawned because you chose wrong.

While I'm at it I wish you could set the rare creature detector to optionally make a noise. I can't always watch the tiny text in the corner of my screen when I'm exploring and some kind of active indication without having to constantly check it would be nice.

And if you really want to go deluxe maybe you can set it to only detect enemies you specify, so you can just set it to Nymph and automatically know when one is around.

It may seem like overkill bit with really rare enemies that don't even have 100% drop rate, I think it's a worthy investment.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Wouldn't you know it, after making that post I went back down to my ice tunnel and had one spawn within 45 seconds or so. Naturally, it didn't drop the Metal Detector.

Vib Rib posted:

It's a small quality of life complaint but I wish rare enemy indicators would point you in a direction, even if that feature needed to be upgraded into. It sucks wandering so much and finally having an early mimic or a nymph show up, being unable to find it, and too afraid to wander because if you move in the wrong direction it'll despawn. So you pick a direction, head off tentatively, still don't see it -- whoops, now it's off your rare creature detector. Head back to where you were, and it's gone. Despawned because you chose wrong.

While I'm at it I wish you could set the rare creature detector to optionally make a noise. I can't always watch the tiny text in the corner of my screen when I'm exploring and some kind of active indication without having to constantly check it would be nice.

And if you really want to go deluxe maybe you can set it to only detect enemies you specify, so you can just set it to Nymph and automatically know when one is around.

It may seem like overkill bit with really rare enemies that don't even have 100% drop rate, I think it's a worthy investment.

The noise in particular would be pretty useful, I play on my big ol' 30" monitor and my eyes have to constantly dart from my character to the upper left. When I saw it go off I chugged a Hunter potion to find her.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 7, 2017

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Wouldn't you know it, after making that post I went back down to my ice tunnel and had one spawn within 45 seconds or so. Naturally, it didn't drop the Metal Detector.

They've got a 100% drop rate in expert worlds. If you've got upper tier normal mode gear, a fresh expert world shouldn't be particularly dangerous.

Vib Rib posted:

These would be nice additions to the treasure detector as well, particularly being able to apply a filter.

Mountaineer fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 7, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

About to go hard mode for the first time and finally getting around to building a farm/garden, what should I actually be planting

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

About to go hard mode for the first time and finally getting around to building a farm/garden, what should I actually be planting

Everything, of course.

Though in my experience, you'll get plenty of plants just from wandering around. The rare ones correspond to areas you don't visit that often (fireblossoms; since the underworld is just for late normal mode and you don't get much reasons to come back there in hardmode) and deathweed (since in blighted areas there's a lot of competition from thorns and V-shrooms). Second place would be waterleaf and moonglow. Third place are blinkroots, they're relatively rare but since they grow all over the cave layer you'll get plenty of them anyway, they've got the largest growth area. Fourth place are daybloom and shiverthorns, you'll get tons of them without even trying. Since there's pretty much nothing else that grows on snow, shiverthorns are incredibly common.

Anyway, just get planters for everything and harvest what you need when doing alchemy.

You can also plant pumpkin seeds. You can craft a lot of stuff with pumpkins, including pumpkin pie for a food buff; a whole bunch of Halloween-themed furniture, and an event summon item.

There are other stuff you can farm, but they will require biome-appropriate grass and change your garden's biome. See wiki for ideas.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I'm getting the urge to slap a bunch of mods on and play this game again. Are there any updates to the game itself coming soon which would get in the way of it?

Also, what mods do people recommend for mixing things up these days?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

I'm getting the urge to slap a bunch of mods on and play this game again. Are there any updates to the game itself coming soon which would get in the way of it?

Also, what mods do people recommend for mixing things up these days?

1.3.6 is coming eventually but there's no telling when. Almost certainly months away.

As for mods, Thorium, Spirit, Calamity, Joost, GRealm, and Tremor are all big expansion sized mods that you probably shouldn't run more than 1 or 2 of at a time unless you hate being able to finish their respective grinds. Calamity and Tremor are kind of extra hardmode so you might not want to go there at first and Joost is mostly post Moonlord content. Cheese's content pack is an ok pile of random poo poo to make. Copper+ is less established but might be good.

Magic Storage is your god and you will install it yesterday. It gives you a searchable all in one stash interface, though you might want to cheat in the components instead of burning tons of gems on them like the mod wants you to. It even lets you do all your crafting from your stash

Fargo's Mutant mod is some good QoL, letting you combine accesssories and buy boss spawners after you kill each boss (and includes many of the above mods). Omniswing lets you autoattack with every weapon instead of giving yourself carpal tunnel syndrome. Infinity - Endless Items is probably overkill but being able to make endless quivers/bullet bags of all types and also "endless potions" that just take up an inventory slot is nice. Veinminer is kinda cheaty but lets you mine out whole ore veins at once without disturbing the surrounding tiles.

These are all in the TModLoader browser.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 23, 2017

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Veinminer sounds like such a good idea I'm surprised it's not in the base game. It already works that way for cutting down trees (as compared to unmodded Minecraft, where the blocks you cut out leave behind floating trees forever)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Did a quick ice caves session after work yesterday and bagged the detector, so went ahead and activated hardmore, just cheesing WoF with Beenades. I had fished a bunch of crates so was trying the 'don't break the altars' strategy, but the flipside of this is I only have one small patch of Hallow desert and no Hallowed underground (it spawned basically on top of the pyramid and against a jungle), so no source for Souls of Light. Not sure why I was bothering to spare the altars as this is a Small world I'm kind of intending to be for a trash first runthrough, although it does have some neat features.

Meanwhile Crimson popped up adjacent to my base and has been a bit of a PITA to keep out.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Veinminer sounds like such a good idea I'm surprised it's not in the base game. It already works that way for cutting down trees (as compared to unmodded Minecraft, where the blocks you cut out leave behind floating trees forever)

Some aspects of Minecraft's design do feel a lot more punitive after playing Terraria, that's for sure.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

FirstAidKite posted:

Man it's weird that this is somehow not a nod towards jojo and stardust crusaders. Like, they made a set called the stardust armor that gives you a minion that has similar colors to star platinum from jojo and it looks like a stand and more or less operates like one and it all ends up not actually being a reference to it.

I dunno why but it just makes me laugh when poo poo like that happens.

I mean if it's named after it, is coloured like it and functions like a stand, why are you saying it's not a reference?

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean if it's named after it, is coloured like it and functions like a stand, why are you saying it's not a reference?

Because the person who made it said it wasn't

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
So, there's acouple Terraria likes I've heard of or seen a little bit of gameplay of on youtube.
There's Realms of Magic, which seems to have a lot of RPG elements like skill trees and dialog with NPCs, and Dig or Die, which has tower defense.
Does anyone have any opinions on these? What interests me is building and figuring out what to gather or craft and understanding all that, and some depth of combat.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

So, there's acouple Terraria likes I've heard of or seen a little bit of gameplay of on youtube.
There's Realms of Magic, which seems to have a lot of RPG elements like skill trees and dialog with NPCs, and Dig or Die, which has tower defense.
Does anyone have any opinions on these? What interests me is building and figuring out what to gather or craft and understanding all that, and some depth of combat.

Dig or die isnt really a terraria like. It forces you to build fairly quickly. Each night gets more and more difficult as swarms of things spawn. While its interesting, i can never get myself past the first few nights because i lose interest in trying to just defend each night.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

... That's weird. The ranged set from the post-moonlord boss in the Thorium mod makes my space dolphin machine gun not shoot bullets. It still plays the sound effect but no bullets come out.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

FirstAidKite posted:

Because the person who made it said it wasn't

The Death of the Author boss fight hasn't made it into Terraria yet, apparently

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

Terraria is the best "terraria-like" you'll ever see. Everything else is just worse and will disappoint you. It's aaaaallll downhill from here.

Starbound is probably the closest thing to terraria, and it does a lot of things better than terraria (like building, animations, better grappling hooks that are legitimately fun, etc) but is crippled by a dev team who don't know what made terraria great in the first place. So, again, would just disappoint you greatly.

The best you can hope for is terraria 2 when it hopefully releases before I'm dead.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Zereth posted:

... That's weird. The ranged set from the post-moonlord boss in the Thorium mod makes my space dolphin machine gun not shoot bullets. It still plays the sound effect but no bullets come out.
One thing I've found (and only run into with mods) is that having too fast a use speed makes items not work. There was a speedy laser weapon from some mod and when I put on too many fire rate boosters it did the same thing.

Also agreeing that Ass_Burgerer probably has the truest and most concise statement on Starbound possible: they don't know what made Terraria good to begin with. Nor do I think they know what Starbound is even supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Dig or Die was pretty cool, but I don't really recommend it. The defense aspect isn't well balanced, because your turrets die way too easily and until you reach the final tier they aren't actually very good. I had a few hours of fun with the game and cleared it on the normal difficulty, but I doubt I'll pick it up again unless it gets a major overhaul. The building was kind of neat because structures had to be supported, and had weight and strength values, but it wasn't very intuitive and you couldn't build with anything smaller than a player-sized block.

It's a neat attempt that doesn't really do anything right. I didn't hate it and it was cheap so take a dive if you're interested, but it's maybe a 4 out of 10 game.

When you're looking for more Terrarria, the best thing to do is mod the crap out of it. If you've already done that, I've yet to find a clone that competes with it.