Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Applesnots posted:

QFG1 Was ok, QFG2 &3 sucked, and QFG4 was one of the best games I have played.

lmao QFG 2 did not suck, its the best in the series if you have any sense at all, so much cool crazy poo poo happens in that game. QFG 4 is overrated and bugged out on me constantly when i played it as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I think RTS really peaked with the CNC series and what really killed it was EA loving with the distribution of the game and loving up the CNC franchise with cnc4, red alert 3 was ok but really dumbed down

we need a remaster of red alert 2 + yuri for modern os and I think it would easily compete with starcraft

that and fix generals

what kills most matches of traditional RTS is when both people are competent and run out of resources after they throw big armies at each other, credits should grow from a slow trickle to a shitload so you're throwing armies at each other in giant waves while dropping nukes

kinda like world in conflict

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Magius1337est posted:

Quake 3 Arena's guns sucked compared to quake 2

quake's guns sucked compared to UT

the shock rifle is the best weapon in any fps ever

:hellyeah:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

is this what people mean when she got a butt that won't quit?

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Das Butterbrot posted:

quake's guns sucked compared to UT

the shock rifle is the best weapon in any fps ever

:hellyeah:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

:eyepop:

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I own an older i7-2600k system with 16 GB of RAM, a decent video card and an SSD.

I also own an XBone and a PS4.

I like to play older games, like System Shock 2 and newer games like Horizon Zero Dawn and Halo.

Vive la difference. They are all fun.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Magius1337est posted:

Quake 3 Arena's guns sucked compared to quake 2

Quake 2 vanilla multiplayer was the zenith of perfectly balanced deathmatch FPS
Except for the power shield, that thing just made you invincible and ruined q2dm8

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Magius1337est posted:

what game doesn't support third party controllers?

Pretty much everything made before Microsoft tried to push games for Windows live?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

FoolyCharged posted:

Pretty much everything made before Microsoft tried to push games for Windows live?
Thank God for GoG

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Street Fighter V didn't support key bindings or directinput on release so people couldn't even use some Street Fighter V-branded controllers without third party tools. I don't know if they ever fixed that.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

"Dark Souls is a good series" and the "the Dark Souls community is loving terrible" are both true statements hth.

These are the truest statements of Dark Souls. They're a great game series, but FROM should never listen to the hardcore fans. The Souls community craps on new concepts (see Dark Souls 2) and just wants Dark Souls 1 repeated (see Dark Souls 3).

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
the reason a lot of games on pc fail is because they keep pushing graphics and completely eliminate the laptop market, its basically why RTS games have failed recently

RTS games play perfectly on a laptop and the old sprite based ones sold phenominally well, but then the modern ones pushed heavy 3d graphics that a medium cost laptop couldn't run until nowadays since you basically needed a desktop to run it

same thing happened to natural selection, you basically need a 1080ti to run that game

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

RTS games failed because good ones stopped coming out. Even Starcraft II was just Starcraft 1 with better graphics

no innovation, nothing cool to look forward to

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

hamtaro posted:

it peaked with SMAC

SMAC is expansion of Civ 2, you are supposed to play it right after you beat Civ2. after that, once you beat SMAC you then have to play Master of Orion 2

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Caesar Saladin posted:

Mods are a joke, i don't need to put titties on the rear end of my main character or give them fox ears or whatever, I don't need a bunch of unbalanced extra weapons and i definitely don't want poorly voiced fan fiction quests

minecraft is basically stealing 100% of its new features from mods

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
is minecraft actually a game yet?

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
like isn't it technically still an alpha and everyone's really just been buying early access?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Magius1337est posted:

like isn't it technically still an alpha and everyone's really just been buying early access?

you can totally beat the game! it has an ending and everything :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JQOrPf2wwA

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
monster collector games should come back

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Magius1337est posted:

It was Officially Released years ago. But then, so was No Mans Sky

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
PC gaming is only for pedophiles and people who masturbate to hentai.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CowboyAndy posted:

These are the truest statements of Dark Souls. They're a great game series, but FROM should never listen to the hardcore fans. The Souls community craps on new concepts (see Dark Souls 2) and just wants Dark Souls 1 repeated (see Dark Souls 3).

Agree very much with the first part but you are super wrong about the second.

Probably not the best thread to have this convo though unless I want to remind people why they hate Dark Souls fans.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

a bone to pick posted:

PC gaming is only for pedophiles and people who masturbate to hentai.

Pedophiles like Star Trek, not PC Gaming

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
best mod coming through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mP4YMQFam3g

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

hm yes, a double barreled shotgun, truly the pinnacle of innovation

~borat voice~ NOT!

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
still no protect the VIP mode in csgo is a tragedy even though they added scoutz knivez

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Console gaming is for cool Chads that have a lot of sex with beautiful men and women.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

a bone to pick posted:

Console gaming is for cool Chads that have a lot of sex with beautiful men and women.

Chad has been known to x-bone.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The Xbox 360 is the lamest "successful" console of all time. Lamer than the Master System, lamer than the Nintendo 64, lamer than its own successor. It's like "wet paste: the console."

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

veni veni veni posted:

Probably not the best thread to have this convo though unless I want to remind people why they hate Dark Souls fans.

its a stupid argument because bloodborne plays very differently from dark souls and was very well received.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Das Butterbrot posted:

hm yes, a double barreled shotgun, truly the pinnacle of innovation

~borat voice~ NOT!

innovative != best

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

To me, a lot of Dark Souls 3 seems like a response to the negativity of Dark Souls 2.

Hated Life Gems? Gone!
Hated the New NPCs? Here's all of the ones from DS1, but they've got different names
Hated fun factions like Ratbros and Bellbros? Gone!

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
drat, so nothing was added to Dark Souls 3? That must have been boring

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

2house2fly posted:

drat, so nothing was added to Dark Souls 3? That must have been boring

Okay, so I am simplifying things here. They did add new stuff, like Weapon Arts (special techniques based on the weapon you were using), new guilds (mostly either PVP or PVE, no 'defend an area' style guilds like in 2).

For me, Dark Souls 3 felt very... safe. It all felt like callbacks to Dark Souls 1.

Dark Souls 2 may have been rough around the edges, but it tried new stuff (Dual Wielding, multiple consumable health items, Hex class of magic, the hallowing system). And I appreciate DS2 more because of that.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
:ssh: all the souls games are trash

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a bone to pick posted:

:ssh: all the souls games are trash

i like soul calibur 4

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Maya Fey posted:

innovative != best

while this is true, and the boomstick in doom is a top tier fps weapon, it still doesn't hold a candle to the varied gameplay of the ASMD

i hope blizzard adds a character with a similar mechanic to bootywatch

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

PS2 is the greatest console of all time. Only knock against it is that it didn't support 4player right out of the box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Away all Goats posted:

PS2 is the greatest console of all time. Only knock against it is that it didn't support 4player right out of the box
that's not really an unpopular opinion...