Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
All I can remember about Bear and the Dragon aside from the general plot and the SAC thing is that the Russian dude getting the plans makes a joke about how the Russians were always the red team on their ops :hurr:

Also it threw out the first "gently caress" on page 4 or so. I got to preview all the higher level books for the grade school library back in the heady days of the Y2K panic so I can honestly say Tom Clancy taught me how to curse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
If the US entered into a conflict the size of the GW1 or Vietnam war, they would put the US Merchant Marine under the UCMJ and do everything they could to get engineers on ships as we do not have the personnel to crew up the ships required for any length of time. This has been a problem since Vietnam when the academies and Coast Guard shortened the pipeline to push out officers due to a lack of bodies.

Some of these cadets ended up on the SS Badger State as there is a memorial at one of the east coast academies I believe.

http://www.usmm.org/badger_state.html

The Badger State was carrying ordinance to Vietnam when bombs broke loose in the holds in a gale due to the wood blocks swelling from water impregnation or something, as well as poor stowage. If you don't want to read on from there, just imagine bombs rolling back and forth in the hold until they smash a hole in the side and fall overboard, along with a fire, explosions, etc.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Hasn't the US been in a Vietnam-level conflict since 2002 or so?

Canada just charters cargo ships from the public market, whatever. As far as I know there isn't even a mechanism to militarize the merchant marine here (And if there was someone who ought to know... It would have been me, once upon a time.)

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

quote:

Another freighter arrived to attempt a rescue, but many men were washed away in 30 foot seas while clinging to heaving lines, under attack from albatrosses.

what the gently caress

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

what the gently caress

When Neptune gets mad he gets mad

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

FrozenVent posted:

Hasn't the US been in a Vietnam-level conflict since 2002 or so?

Canada just charters cargo ships from the public market, whatever. As far as I know there isn't even a mechanism to militarize the merchant marine here (And if there was someone who ought to know... It would have been me, once upon a time.)

Slower buildup and nowhere near that size.

There are concerns about sending US military cargo on Chinese flags and ships crewed by eastern Euros.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

lightpole posted:

The Badger State was carrying ordinance to Vietnam when bombs broke loose in the holds in a gale due to the wood blocks swelling from water impregnation or something, as well as poor stowage. If you don't want to read on from there, just imagine bombs rolling back and forth in the hold until they smash a hole in the side and fall overboard, along with a fire, explosions, etc.
:staredog:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

nyet

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

BigDave posted:

Yup. They changed Denver to Baltimore and the Muslim terror mastermind was changed to a Uber-Neo-Nazi because the studio didn't think Islamic terrorism was a realistic plot.

And the F-15J's were able to splash the F22's because of magic AWACS.

Which the CIA force crashes by shining a really bright light into the cockpit on takeoff.

EDIT: Japan's Revenge was Debt of Honor, Big Log vs Sub & Nuclear Super Bowl was Sum of All Fears, Iran Hates Everyone was Executive Decisions.

Didn't they assassinate the Japanese leadership by flying in Comanches at like 30,000 feet or something loving retarded?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Bolow posted:

Didn't they assassinate the Japanese leadership by flying in Comanches at like 30,000 feet or something loving retarded?

I think they were hovering on a train or some poo poo to get around radar then shot up to some retarded altitude to take out some target, either the magic AWACS or a VIP flight, I dunno.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Bolow posted:

One of them, yeah. Parked a Comanche outside his condo in downtown Toyko and guided a Hellfire through the window.

Nobody noticed because the Comanche was SUPER STEALTH.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

lightpole posted:

Slower buildup and nowhere near that size.

There are concerns about sending US military cargo on Chinese flags and ships crewed by eastern Euros.

The Vietnam was a really slow buildup what are you talking about. We provided advisers and air power for french indochina. We did the resupply by airdrop for Dien Bien Phu

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
poo poo, Debt of Honor kicked off everything because of two shittily-manufactured gas tanks in Japanese imports managing to kill people in the US, complete with dumb vignette about the manufacturing process that hosed up

goddamn i hate that i remember this

edit: fuuuuuuuck Debt of Honor led into The Bear and The Dragon, which was the novel where Jack Ryan persuades NATO to admit Russia and students in China do Tiananmen Square 2: Electric Boogaloo and bring ~*~democracy~*~ to China

it's all so dumb

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 11, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ah the Commanche. Used in endless video games ony to be cancelled.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
gently caress it, after finals I'm gonna do a Let's Read thread in here on Debt of Honor/Executive Orders.

You've heard of hatewatching TV shows, now there's hate reading!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

The Vietnam was a really slow buildup what are you talking about. We provided advisers and air power for french indochina. We did the resupply by airdrop for Dien Bien Phu

Vietnam was slow but we had smaller ships and a larger number of assets to move, as well as a large amount of ordinance. We had ships moving RoK units back and forth apparently.

GW1 was a very rapid buildup that was still much larger than what we used in both Iraq and Afghanistan, at 700k US troops alone. We can support 100-300k troops fighting a low level insurgency for the most part. 500k+ for an extended period with a large supply need would be difficult to say the least.

After 9/11 there was talk about them having to do the same thing as they did in Vietnam and push us out faster but Afghanistan and Iraq were defeated with minimal forces and the buildup took years as well. Getting supplies to Afghanistan was a complete nightmare the entire time we were there as there is no sea route and marginally friendly governments.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 11, 2017

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I should see if I can find my old copy of The Bear and The Dragon when I head back home for the holidays; holy poo poo is it a loving trip.

Not as much as starting a goddamned trade-then-hot-war over Japanese Pintos, but drat

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Professor Bling posted:

I should see if I can find my old copy of The Bear and The Dragon when I head back home for the holidays; holy poo poo is it a loving trip.

Not as much as starting a goddamned trade-then-hot-war over Japanese Pintos, but drat

And the same Cavalry Regiment that had stood up against and defeated 6 Iraqi/Iranian divisions with a NG brigade entrains in Germany and hits the Chinese Army on its flank in....loving Siberia.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Who else loves that the ADL pretty much thinks any criticism of Israel makes you a neo-Nazi? They're the SPLC's stupid little brother.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I preferred the Clive Cussler version of the Japan-US war where Japan sends over nukes hidden in compact cars and Dirk Pitt has to dig up a literal WW2 atom bomb underwater and blow up the secret Japanese island base which is also full of robots.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
drat I actually just found Without Remorse, which is the story about how John Clark turned into awesome Rainbow Six man

he rescues prostitute/drug mule/rape victims in Baltimore while murdering a bunch of mafia dudes and since this is supposedly during Vietnam somewhere in the middle he does a Song Tay-style POW mission where he ends up capturing a Soviet interrogator; the POW plot is dropped until the very end of the novel after he comes back

also he tortures a dude using a pressure chamber designed for deep sea divers then leaves the dude he tortures to die of decompression sickness

edit: I was probably eleven or twelve when I first read this lol

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

On top of being batshit insane Clancy's books are often really boring.

Here's a chapter of John Clark capturing a Gadhaffi stand in. Now here's 5 of Jack Ryan as a stockbroker, gently caress YOU.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Casimir Radon posted:

On top of being batshit insane Clancy's books are often really boring.

Here's a chapter of John Clark capturing a Gadhaffi stand in. Now here's 5 of Jack Ryan as a stockbroker, gently caress YOU.

"here's an entire chapter that's literally just the few milliseconds it takes this nuke to detonate. it's about the few milliseconds it's taking this nuke to detonate."

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Professor Bling posted:

"here's an entire chapter that's literally just the few milliseconds it takes this nuke to detonate. it's about the few milliseconds it's taking this nuke to detonate."

But how else could you tell it fizzled?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Jack Higgins is the superior Tom Clancy novelist. Less wordy and about more interesting topics like the SOE and IRA.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Professor Bling posted:

I hate you for reminding me of this.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
hahahahahaha I just remembered that at some point between Sum of All Fears and Executive Orders apparently North and South Korea unified, but there's not a book about it nor is there any real detail, it just happens off-page

edit: the point of this derail is "Tom Clancy is a fuckin' hack" and we haven't even talked about how 9/11 broke his brain

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 11, 2017

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Professor Bling posted:

drat I actually just found Without Remorse, which is the story about how John Clark turned into awesome Rainbow Six man

he rescues prostitute/drug mule/rape victims in Baltimore while murdering a bunch of mafia dudes and since this is supposedly during Vietnam somewhere in the middle he does a Song Tay-style POW mission where he ends up capturing a Soviet interrogator; the POW plot is dropped until the very end of the novel after he comes back

also he tortures a dude using a pressure chamber designed for deep sea divers then leaves the dude he tortures to die of decompression sickness

The thing I always remember about that book is the subplot of some Maryland State Trooper finding a drugged out prostitute on the side of the road in a rural area who happens to be black and the entire exchange is the trooper being all "Let's get you somewhere safe, ma'am!" and poo poo.

In 1960's America. With Agnew as Governor. loving :lol: that anyone pretended things were like that back then, let alone now.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I've read some really, REALLY bad Military Fiction[It may be the entire genre is bad?] in my time, but I think Tom Clancy is either the best or the worst depending on if "I can't remember anything about these books except Jack Ryan is the ultimate patriot and there was a nuke at the super bowl" is good or bad.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

BigDave posted:

Other way around. Israel makes peace with the Arabs thanks to mild mannered CIA employee Jack Ryan. This causes a Palestinian terrorist leader who's dying from cancer to team up with a American Indian terrorist, and they find a Israeli nuclear warhead buried in a old man's garden. Working with a nihlistic East German scientist they nuke Denver and start shooting Americans at the Berlin Wall to trigger WWIII. Jack Ryan commits light treason and saves the day by intercepting the Hotline with Moscow.

Then Japan reinvades the Marshall and Marina Islands because Japanese Donald Trump has to avenge his parents deaths in WWII. The pilot kamakazies his plane into the Capitol Building because his son died while fighting the Americans.

And Jack Ryan bitches non-stop about how much his jobs suck.

Somehow more believable than 2017.

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

US troop totals for Vietnam were close to 3 million. In 16 years of Afghanistan, we're at 2/3 of that.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 11, 2017

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Casimir Radon posted:

Who else loves that the ADL pretty much thinks any criticism of Israel makes you a neo-Nazi? They're the SPLC's stupid little brother.

wait what

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They like to pretend they're an anti-racist org like SPLC but waste countless amounts of time acting like some kid with a "Free Palestine" shirt is a hardcore antisemite.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

KildarX posted:

I've read some really, REALLY bad Military Fiction[It may be the entire genre is bad?] in my time, but I think Tom Clancy is either the best or the worst depending on if "I can't remember anything about these books except Jack Ryan is the ultimate patriot and there was a nuke at the super bowl" is good or bad.

Ralph Peters. Red Army. loving awesome book and I'll fight anyone who says different. So loving pissed I lost my copy and it's not on kindle/possible to find here

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Ralph Peters was pretty legit before his brain broke. All his novels are pretty good and extremely depressing.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Professor Bling posted:

Oh my god, I'm sure I wasn't even into double figures when I attempted read this, I can't even imagine how much went over my head.

They all used to come out with covers featuring planes exploding and so forth, which made them very attractive to children and childlike men.

E: Also didn't he own an island he got off of government surplus auctions or something

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Also, bitcoin is suddenly in the business sections of the mainstream news

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/business/345934/it-s-good-marketing-financial-advisor-doubts-bitcoin-house-sale

poo poo is gonna get weird

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Bitcoin has been driving nvidia shares through the loving roof because you can use GPUs to mine butts or something.

Like, 1600% increase over 5 years.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Jaguars! posted:

Also, bitcoin is suddenly in the business sections of the mainstream news

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/business/345934/it-s-good-marketing-financial-advisor-doubts-bitcoin-house-sale

poo poo is gonna get weird

Yup. People are starting to realize how it’s going up and think it’s a “get rich quick” scheme but it’s not.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am excite for all crashes bitcoin related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
December Current Events: No Current Events So We Talk About lovely Clancy Books

• Locked thread