Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why are they suddenly trying to do gimmick direct sequels to 25+ year old episodes. Are the ratings really that bad now?

a lot of people with stockholm syndrome who aren't as discerning about "classic" or "poo poo" episodes remember the callbacks from back when the show was actually still good and relevant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Dan Castellaneta should not be allowed to riff.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I hate when you start watching a Simpsons that looks older, but then they make a reference to Jessica Simpson or those wassssuuuup commercials and you realise you’re watching poo poo tier Simpsons.

It was the safety salamander one, in case anyone was wondering. Really terrible episode from the Jerkass Homer period.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
rip good simpsons

https://twitter.com/SimpsonsQOTD/status/938014792547295232

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
New simpsons is torture

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Mr.Tophat posted:

New simpsons is torture

Hell, it's just depressing honestly. Sad. It was so good once upon a time. I'm way more generous than most of gbs. I'd probably still recommend up to season 11-12. But even then, there's more bad seasons than good.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Riptor posted:

Homers loud-whispering is agonizing too

Homer's loud-whisper has nothing on British kid tv shows. I wanted to set kipper and his damned conkers and sour hearts on fire

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Sentient Data posted:

Homer's loud-whisper has nothing on British kid tv shows. I wanted to set kipper and his damned conkers and sour hearts on fire

u wot m8

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Sentient Data posted:

Thanks for reminding me, the one where they went to England sucked

"It's Tony Blair! Maybe he'll help!"

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

cool new Polack jokes posted:

There have been worse episodes, but I can't remember any lazier ones. 20 minutes of celebrity cameos and pop culture references.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

bitterandtwisted posted:

There have been worse episodes, but I can't remember any lazier ones. 20 minutes of celebrity cameos and pop culture references.

The 300th episode extravaganza with Tony Hawk and Blink 182

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

FYI "SMRT" was Dan Castellaneta loving up the line, and they thought it was funny and kept it in.

I actually did too until I bought season 2 on DVD. That reminds me I should invest in seasons 1, 9 and 10 eventually to finally have the full series

My name... is a mistake?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That’s unpossible!

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

I didn’t even get some of the jokes in that episode and I’m English. Like Bart and Lisa getting high off really sugary candy. That was so pointless.

Also they must have recorded it before Tony Blair became a figure of total hatred.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

SEX BURRITO posted:

I didn’t even get some of the jokes in that episode and I’m English. Like Bart and Lisa getting high off really sugary candy. That was so pointless.

Trainspotting reference.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

bitterandtwisted posted:

Trainspotting reference.

^

I wanted to give context to how lazy that episode was in terms of cameos and stuff, but any ridiculous thing I can come up with while thinking "imagine if an english show did a we're in the US episode like that" is already probably half a season's worth of actual simpsons episodes. The writing team feels like the last minutes of the terminator when its ripped to poo poo but still just pulling along on its elbows somehow just as fast.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

SEX BURRITO posted:

Also they must have recorded it before Tony Blair became a figure of total hatred.

The episode aired post-Iraq Tony Blair so he was totally hated at the time.

Slowpoke
Jul 7, 2007

Also, someone drew a sweet Slowpoke that I wanted to buy for an av but lost the image. I think the thread was people drawing Pokemon? I guess? I don't know. If someone could help find it I would love to buy it. Thanks.

Sentient Data posted:

Sorry. I started doing this for some reason last year. I don't know why I started, but I grew up watching The Simpsons. I apologize though. I also apologize for thinking of this:

https://youtu.be/5wguuKpRJRE

When I heard about this:

https://www.usnews.com/news/ohio/articles/2017-02-21/ohio-bill-would-require-teaching-cursive-writing-in-schools

I apologize everyone.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

My Youtube homepage recommends random Simpsons clips to me from time to time because of the links I click in this thread. I got a good chuckle from a bunch of Ralph clones... (Disclaimer: I got a good chuckle, but I've also had several beers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkE1WDGup_s

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Backweb posted:

My Youtube homepage recommends random Simpsons clips to me from time to time because of the links I click in this thread. I got a good chuckle from a bunch of Ralph clones... (Disclaimer: I got a good chuckle, but I've also had several beers)

Why the hell would they be cloning Ralph?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Have future episodes become like a once a season thing now? Great, fantastic, haven't ground that concept into the dirt with sheer incompetent writing no sir.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
The one where Lisa is president is probably the last decent one. And even that’s ruined by Homer having a terrible treasure hunt B plot.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

Have future episodes become like a once a season thing now? Great, fantastic, haven't ground that concept into the dirt with sheer incompetent writing no sir.

The Simpsons have probably repeated every possible episode concept just slightly changed around like 4 times each. Like when you have an hour before an essay is due and didn't do it so you just click the source links in wikipedia and reword stuff enough that it passes the plagiarism test

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"Homer and Marge's marriage is on the rocks" is a story concept that should be a huge deal that comes up like once in the entire run of a show like this, but it happened like three episodes into S1 and they basically had no choice but to do it again about every fifth episode from then on until eternity

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Data Graham posted:

"Homer and Marge's marriage is on the rocks" is a story concept that should be a huge deal that comes up like once in the entire run of a show like this, but it happened like three episodes into S1 and they basically had no choice but to do it again about every fifth episode from then on until eternity

They only did it a few times during the classic era. Post-classic, at least once per season.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

SEX BURRITO posted:

The one where Lisa is president is probably the last decent one. And even that’s ruined by Homer having a terrible treasure hunt B plot.

Lol, the episode previously established as the single worst ever is now one of the best of its kind

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

There are people who consider that the worst episode?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ExplodingSims posted:

There are people who consider that the worst episode?

Back when it came out, yes. One of the first I personally remember people complaining about online along with The Principal and the Pauper.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

3 pages of arguing about the cost of the simpson's house when it's already answered in the show with "don't ask me how the economy works."

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nanomashoes posted:

3 pages of arguing about the cost of the simpson's house when it's already answered in the show with "don't ask me how the economy works."

Reminds me of the contest to win the Simpsons house replica they built or a cash reward for guessing who killed Mr Burns and in all the shots it was completely furnished but in reality all the furniture was removed and it was probably barely livable so of course the person who won took the cash

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Data Graham posted:

You know what has to be in the top three worst things about modern Simpsons? Whenever Homer breaks randomly into song.

It’s always these drawn-out, overly “clever” riffs on existing songs played like homer is just ad-libbing new lyrics off the top of his head, like two and three verses of super punny meaningless crap out of nowhere.

I mean an occasional snatch of misheard lyrics in the old days was funny and in character, but this is just like ... wtf

E: oh god and they’re straight up doing amnesia episodes now, kill me

Amnesia episodes?

I don't know if I've mentioned it before but I love how in the rock bottom mash-up they made the time on the wall clock jump around.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

worst episode was Mr. Lisa's Opus, it's the episode that made me take it off rotation as even background tv

no single 5seconds of it were defensible or redeemable in any way

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Backweb posted:

As much as I hate defending a new Simpsons episode, I remember that one being decent. It was also a different take on the "future" episodes as it was more of a glimpse into what would have happened had they actually aged and advanced. Certainly not classic material, but for a modern episode you can do a lot worse.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Reminds me of the contest to win the Simpsons house replica they built or a cash reward for guessing who killed Mr Burns and in all the shots it was completely furnished but in reality all the furniture was removed and it was probably barely livable so of course the person who won took the cash

Two different contests. The Mr. Burns contest involved someone being drawn into the episode. It was apparently won by someone who didn't like the Simpsons and declined.

Couldn't tell you what the contest for the "real" simpsons house was, but I remember seeing a video of it and it was a nightmare incarnate.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Lol, the episode previously established as the single worst ever is now one of the best of its kind

It’s pretty bad. But nowhere near the worst. I liked ‘smell you later’, the TV guns, and the first ever joke about Trump being a bad president.

Today I had a newish episode on in the background. Lisa was falling in love with a fat dumb kid who was a competitive eater, and Marge was worried she’d end up with a version of Homer. So she was encouraging Homer to take Lisa out on a ‘date’ so she’d get a better impression of men or something. And then Marge wore a dress designed by a project runway winner and I think I dropped a load of IQ points typing that out.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009
I think the last Simpsons episode I watched and truly enjoyed was Homer to the Max whixh was in S12, otherwise there isn't any one episode that drove me pff, just the fact that there were less funny episodes over time until around S14 when I just gave up the ghost.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

They took the elephant prize

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

Two different contests. The Mr. Burns contest involved someone being drawn into the episode. It was apparently won by someone who didn't like the Simpsons and declined.

This makes me sadder than it should.

SEX BURRITO posted:

It’s pretty bad. But nowhere near the worst. I liked ‘smell you later’, the TV guns, and the first ever joke about Trump being a bad president.

Today I had a newish episode on in the background. Lisa was falling in love with a fat dumb kid who was a competitive eater, and Marge was worried she’d end up with a version of Homer. So she was encouraging Homer to take Lisa out on a ‘date’ so she’d get a better impression of men or something. And then Marge wore a dress designed by a project runway winner and I think I dropped a load of IQ points typing that out.

I remember when I used to watch hollyoaks because it was on the same channel as the Simpsons rather than the other way around.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Aesop Poprock posted:

If I remember right you'd also have to pay out of pocket to have the exterior redone in order to comply with the Homeowner's Association

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Sotar posted:

I think the last Simpsons episode I watched and truly enjoyed was Homer to the Max whixh was in S12, otherwise there isn't any one episode that drove me pff, just the fact that there were less funny episodes over time until around S14 when I just gave up the ghost.

S12 is where I stopped watching because there were some truly horrible episodes in that stretch. This is the season that had the infamous panda rape episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Justin Godscock posted:

S12 is where I stopped watching because there were some truly horrible episodes in that stretch. This is the season that had the infamous panda rape episode.

He was getting dry humped if that makes it better.