Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a medical mystery posted:

explode in a big burst when the timer runs out

pop in a tiny burp of flame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Renegret posted:

Managed to hit WHM 70 and RDM 70 yesterday, and it left me wondering what I should level next.

In my heart I know the answer is SMN/SCH so I could have all magic/healing classes at 70, but man, I really don't wanna. I even already have it at level 50 from way back in ARR when I thought I'd like SCH

Definitely DRK if you haven't already, and at least doing SMN/SCH is a two for one so you could alternate between them or use SCH for roulette healer bonuses and SMN the other times.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
the purpose of machinist is to spend 50 seconds relative boredom preparing for 10 seconds of pure chaos

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Vadoc posted:

Definitely DRK if you haven't already, and at least doing SMN/SCH is a two for one so you could alternate between them or use SCH for roulette healer bonuses and SMN the other times.

Yeah I've done DRK.

I have 5 level 70s now so I'm reaching the point I'm just leveling poo poo for the sake of leveling. BLM, WHM, RDM, DRK, and AST. The only way I can be convinced to level SMN is if they gave me an option to make bahamut even bigger.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Sarrisan posted:

the purpose of machinist is to spend 50 seconds relative boredom preparing for 10 seconds of pure chaos

I was going to post something to this effect, but yeah... This is pretty much MCH; push some of the buttons for 50-60 seconds, prepare to push all of the buttons for 10 seconds (and clip nothing and have decent ping if you want to reach that 6 GCD Wildfire dream)

From 30-64 is a bit of a dumpster fire, as the moves look extremely boring, you're fishing for 1-2-3 procs (don't be surprised if you just get bad RNG and will be stuck at 1 or 1-2), and you get introduced with a Heat mechanic that you can't even actually manage until level 66 (and can't have the most control of until 70).

Then you get to 70, your 1-2-3 combo actually looks cool to watch now, but yeah, don't gently caress up Wildfire because that's the one part of the class that truly matters.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Renegret posted:

Yeah I've done DRK.

I have 5 level 70s now so I'm reaching the point I'm just leveling poo poo for the sake of leveling. BLM, WHM, RDM, DRK, and AST. The only way I can be convinced to level SMN is if they gave me an option to make bahamut even bigger.

Guess it depends on whether the next poo poo you want to level are more ranged or melee dps/tanks.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ruta posted:

Something that kind of works nicely is to put a shield a. benefic up while out of combat and then to switch back before getting back into combat. This will buy you more time as the tank's picking up mobs to not have to heal him, which helps with both agro and also keeps your high out of combat MP tick running.

Pre-shielding between packs became a lot less-useful when they took away Stoneskin. You can still *do* it, it just doesn't actually buy you any meaningful out-of-combat regen time anymore.

SonicRulez posted:

Is there any way for a new player to get the RAF benefits or does it only happen after the 30 days that comes with the base game?

I believe so, but the new player will lock themselves out of receiving benefits as soon as they pay for their first month of playtime afterwards, so make sure you get it in before then.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I've got a third who wants to join, but he ran into a "unable to complete version check" error. He uninstalled and went for a reinstall. Same issue. We looked over Google and it seems like nobody really has anything concrete for how to fix it, so I came here. Has anyone had this error and beat it?

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/75fgb9/version_check_error_fix/ This fixed it for me.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I believe that's a routing problem. A solution that I have seen offered is to get a VPN service's trial, and then use it just long enough to get the new version of the launcher (Tunnelbear offers a 500MB/month trial, but there are offer codes aplenty out there that tack on an extra 5 GB) then quit out, kill the VPN, and then resume the update.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Neither one of those did it. Feels bad man

Mad Science
Jul 23, 2013
Try having him change his DNS to the Google public dns servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. I had the version check error pop up on me and a friend randomly after years of playing with no problem, and changing the DNS was the only thing that fixed it for us.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I have a similar issue at times because AT&T is a goddamn garbage fire, even the Google DNS doesn't help.

What I do is open up the cmd prompt then do

quote:

/ipconfig flushdns

and then hit up on my keyboard and keep doing it over and over until I pass the version check, click log in then do it over and over again for each step of the log in process until I get on my character, at which point everything is fine.

No idea why it works but it does.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

this can happen, apparently.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Nice. I've gotten Thunderer before but didn't realize Answers was on the loot table too.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I got an HQ Ironworks crafting chest from my retainer once. Still haven't sold it because it's kind of low-volume and I keep getting undercut.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

So the Warrior of Light clears boss fights by getting help from seven retainers.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Machinist is a tire fire since release right now and while it functions fine you will want to kill yourself if you main it. It's the perfect mix of tedium and frustrating panicked haste in all the wrong ways, and you will want to kill yourself if for some reason you wind up syncing down below 66 or so.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Is there metrics on the most and least played classes? All this talk of how garbage MCH is makes me curious.

Especially since I'm about to level Machinist.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Asimo posted:

Machinist is a tire fire since release right now and while it functions fine you will want to kill yourself if you main it. It's the perfect mix of tedium and frustrating panicked haste in all the wrong ways, and you will want to kill yourself if for some reason you wind up syncing down below 66 or so.

Yeah, dealing with the Heat mechanic for 10 whole levels before your first tool that even makes use of it is absolute trash.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Or having a whole whopping three buttons to use to attack at 50 or below.

SonicRulez posted:

Is there metrics on the most and least played classes? All this talk of how garbage MCH is makes me curious.

It's still MCH in last place. :ssh: Really, considering how low-played it was in HW you'd think it would have had a better revamp in stormblood to make it more fun and accessible, but I guess as long as the metrics say its damage is fine I guess square doesn't care.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

SonicRulez posted:

They release an official census every once in a while but other than that it's hard to get numbers for class stuff. You can find out who is doing clears of stuff on fflogs but that's mostly raiding so it doesn't cover the general pop.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
leveling machinist wasn't especially fun but frankly, what class is? everything always sucks before 70.

personally I like machinist, and if my static ever needs a new ranged player i might consider switching from dragoon.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SonicRulez posted:

https://ffxivcensus.com/

It's not completely accurate, spam bots boosting hyur numbers and poo poo, but it's about right in most of the sections.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SonicRulez posted:

MCH is garbage, but because it's part of the holy quaternary of DPS jobs (DRG, BRD, MCH, NIN) it still sees use. Granted, this was mostly a HW thing, but it still sees use because many of the things it does, it still does:

BRD offers refresh, TP, other raid utility.
MCH also offers a second source of refresh and TP.
DRG has +crit raidwide buff, and boosts piercing damage, which itself, BRD and MCH are.
MCH has a very long-duration vulnerability debuff, NIN has a shorter duration one, and now BRD's isn't magic-only, but generic vulnerability.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Huh. Well I just wanted to level something while I walk my buddies through the game. So if it sucks I'll just go to my NIN and reminisce over what it was like when I was new to ARR. And then once I've had enough of not having Armor Crush, I'll just tank. PLD is pretty much the same from 1-50.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I like machinist a lot and it does great damage for its role. I'd play it over BRD any day of the week.

Edit: I wouldn't say MCH is bad or anything. It's just that BRD is very strong, and its DPS rotation flows more naturally. But MCH is in kind of a unique position in which many statics won't mind taking it for either their ranged DPS or caster position. I think, hypothetically, if a static could only choose one of BRD or MCH and they really cared about DPS, they'd probably go for BRD, but it's rarely an issue that comes up.

What I mean to say is that whether you play MCH or not should probably depend on if you like the idea of setting up your overheat and wildfire. If you do, it's a perfectly good job.

ruta fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Dec 10, 2017

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ruta posted:

I like machinist a lot and it does great damage for its role. I'd play it over BRD any day of the week.

Yeah, not me. Machinist definitely got better once the tools to manipulate the heat gauge trickled in. But I just don't find the job fun in PvE. Now, PvP? Machinist me up. Whoever was in charge of it's PvP revamp knocked it out of the park.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I'm that masochist who finds rapid fire spamming spread shot into big mob groups satisfying

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Skaw posted:

Yeah, not me. Machinist definitely got better once the tools to manipulate the heat gauge trickled in. But I just don't find the job fun in PvE. Now, PvP? Machinist me up. Whoever was in charge of it's PvP revamp knocked it out of the park.
Yeah but it's probably at the bottom of the PvP power totem pole. Not significantly but it has the biggest gap.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Maybe in Wolve's Den but BRD/MCH/WHM/DRK are the kings of Shatter/Rival Wings

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I actually really like ninja in rival wings incidentally. You get a stun and silence and all the mudras are useful in various areas. You can even lock the generator down for awhile with the fireball.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

I was a catgirl, but just did a fantasia and my neck grew like the mighty oak. And everything else.

Elf is underrated. This turned out good.

And speaking of things under-played, I utterly refuse to give up Monk.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mazed posted:

I was a catgirl, but just did a fantasia and my neck grew like the mighty oak. And everything else.

what're those gloves/top?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Mazed posted:

Incidentally this hat goes really well with red mage

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Brother Entropy posted:

what're those gloves/top?

Monk 70 AF.

(play monk and be swank)

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Mazed posted:

Welcome to the Elf club. Soon you'll be neck wrestling with the rest of us.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Here's a weird and unbelievable concept - different people find different jobs fun.

Try it before you pass judgement.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I got Monk to 70 recently and man did I bounce off that job like a loving trampoline. I kept expecting to like it better and nope, I did not enjoy a single moment of playing it. It felt like 4 times the work as any other class for little benefit and the 60-70 skill set are some of the most boring and uninteresting in the game. (Basically nothing but passives or basically meaningless changes to Shoulder Tackle?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Mazed posted:

Monk 70 AF.

(play monk and be swank)

drat, was hoping it wasn't a monk-only thing. it looks real good on elves