Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Speaker Rendon is on KQED right now defending being a little bitch about single payer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

FilthyImp posted:

The Valley around the 5/170 interchange is a giant smoke cloud this morning. I woke up and thought there was an electrical problem in my house because it smelled like smoke. Drove outside and it ws Silent Hill.

Almost my exact experience with the Marin fires.

quote:

A "good" private school gives you access to cultural capital. Maybe you read at a 6th grade level, but your parents are friends with a hedge-fund manager and a Big Name producer or film-industry type donates time and money to the arts program. Or something. Your foot's in the door to fail upwards, at least.

Almost my exact opinion of private schools!

I went to one that was academically amazing the decade before I started, but there's clearly no competitive pressure to maintain that standard over time, so it became only pretty good by the time I got there.

And obviously, I didn't help.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/wlv_investor/status/938410022538682368

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Next stop: Mordor

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/FrankDobson1/status/938487907979087874

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

That looks like 405 just up the hill from UCLA, if I'm not mistaken

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DeadlyMuffin posted:

That looks like 405 just up the hill from UCLA, if I'm not mistaken

It is. There's 4 major fires in the LA area, plus one in San Bernardino.

https://twitter.com/latimes/status/938451349548781568

Also Rupert Murdoch's vineyard is on fire but not his house (yet).

rocketbrah
Sep 24, 2003

it's peanut butter
⚡ MORPHIN' TIME ⚡

FMguru posted:

Next stop: Mordor

*Honk honk* the horn of Gondor!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

been posted.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 6, 2017

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Honestly, there are days where I would have traded the smoke inhalation and possible horrible death for less people on the 405

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Here's a good live map of the active fires

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Surec posted:

*Honk honk* the horn of Gondor!

You laugh, but I passed two convoys of fire apparatus from Oregon driving south on I-5 today, so you could say the beacons have been lit :haw:

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Meanwhile, San Diego is lovely.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

Duckbox posted:

We'll get ours soon, we're overdue.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Duckbox posted:

No it's not. I've seen the subhuman racist trash that lives your suburbs.

It's not on fire, but it should be.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Jaxyon posted:

No it's not. I've seen the subhuman racist trash that lives your suburbs.

It's not on fire, but it should be.

:ironicat: aside, that's most exurbs in California.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Duckbox posted:

:ironicat: aside, that's most exurbs in California.

A friend was at a party in Tustin and a girl asked where he was from. He replied "Riverside." The girl said "ewww, gross" turned around and walked away. I'm sure she left once she found out that half the people at the house party were from Riverside. gently caress. Everyone.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

A friend was at a party in Tustin and a girl asked where he was from. He replied "Riverside." The girl said "ewww, gross" turned around and walked away. I'm sure she left once she found out that half the people at the house party were from Riverside. gently caress. Everyone.

Lol at being from loving Tustin and thinking you're too good for Riverside. Is there a word for when your town is like a cultural Mecca, but in reverse?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Duckbox posted:

Lol at being from loving Tustin and thinking you're too good for Riverside. Is there a word for when your town is like a cultural Mecca, but in reverse?

a black hole of culture

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Duckbox posted:

your town is like a cultural Mecca, but in reverse?

...Fresno?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckbox posted:

I moved from OC to the IE and now I hate everyone in the OC (east of the 55 at least).

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

FCKGW posted:

I moved from OC to the IE and now I hate everyone in the OC (east of the 55 at least).

Ditto, grew up out there (and sadly, had the same “ewwww Riverside” attitude) but fuckin IE people are so much less dickish than Orange County people I don’t think I’d ever move back. :hf:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I lived in OC until I was 10, been in Riverside ever since (im 38 now), and yes, I loving hate everyone in OC , but man do I want to live closer to work. But I've bitched about that multiple times.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

I haven't spent much time in the IE, but I have family in San Bernardino and that city makes me sad. It reminds me of the city wide version of one of those dead malls where most of the stores are boarded up.

My impression of Orange County is that it's awful because it's full of rich fygm Republicans who're into fad diets and jeezus.

These are my bad regional California opinions.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's all cool in socal.

Unless you're in the 909. Or OC.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
I grew up in Irvine and moved to southwest Anaheim and it's such a night and day difference between the two. I love it in Anaheim tho.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Big wildfire just kicked off in Northern County San Diego. South of 76 and West of 15.

https://twitter.com/BaronVonGonzo/status/938881359392604160

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, I sort of jinxed us. I don't live in North County.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

I grew up in Irvine and moved to southwest Anaheim and it's such a night and day difference between the two. I love it in Anaheim tho.

Yeah I lived in Anaheim and Fullerton for most of my life. North Orange County is cool and good, South Orange County can suck my nuts.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Irvine is just depressing to be in. All the subdivisions look the same and I swear there's some sort of cut rate landscaping monopoly because the whole city is just the same ten plants over and over.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I think they have some law that requires parks or something every five feet

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

DeadlyMuffin posted:

My impression of Orange County is that it's awful because
This was the important part of the post.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

http://www.ppic.org/blog/video-preview-statewide-election/

quote:

In the US Senate primary, incumbent Dianne Feinstein leads fellow Democrat Kevin de León, state senate president pro tempore, by a two-to-one margin in a matchup of the two candidates. A third of likely voters are undecided in this race, as well.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

To be fair, if I wasn't paying attention to California politics the only thing I would know about Kevin de Leon is that he is not Dianne Feinstein...
I suppose that alone should be just about enough to get my vote.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckbox posted:

Irvine is just depressing to be in. All the subdivisions look the same and I swear there's some sort of cut rate landscaping monopoly because the whole city is just the same ten plants over and over.

Nearly the entire city of Irvine is managed by the Irvine company, and as such they have a single landscaper maintain a consistent experience across the city.

It’s also why every business in Irvine has the same store hours printed out front in the same spot using the same font.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Jesus Christ, how horrifying. That sounds like some kind of purgatorial version of suburbia.

revolther
May 27, 2008
I bet it's owned by some shady car dealer who was on city council ten years ago.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Irvine is a city where PTA moms settle disputes by planting drugs in the others car and calling the cops on them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Jesus Christ, how horrifying. That sounds like some kind of purgatorial version of suburbia.

It's pretty much the model and originator of the master planned community.

The Irvine Company owns 1/5 of all the land in Orange County, and it encompasses several cities withing it's control.

Coincidentally, these are the parts people think of when they thing of "lovely, republican Orange County"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

FCKGW posted:

Coincidentally, these are the parts people think of when they thing of "lovely, republican Orange County"

So... the heart of FYGM NIMBY conservative SoCal is actually one big company town? Holy gently caress